Why NBA Analyst Believes Payton Pritchard Will Exceed Expectations As Celtics Rookie

4 posters

Go down

Why NBA Analyst Believes Payton Pritchard Will Exceed Expectations As Celtics Rookie Empty Why NBA Analyst Believes Payton Pritchard Will Exceed Expectations As Celtics Rookie

Post by bobheckler Thu Dec 17, 2020 11:14 am

https://nesn.com/2020/12/why-nba-analyst-believes-payton-pritchard-will-exceed-expectations-as-celtics-rookie/

Why NBA Analyst Believes Payton Pritchard Will Exceed Expectations As Celtics Rookie

Pritchard impressed in his preseason debut

by Adam London

52 minutes ago

The Celtics’ first selection in the 2020 NBA Draft addressed a clear need. No. 14 overall pick Aaron Nesmith has the chance to be a knock-down, off-the-bench shooter the C’s have lacked in recent seasons.

Boston’s next pick, however, wasn’t exactly a no-brainer.

The Celtics selected Payton Pritchard, a senior out of Oregon, at No. 26. Boston seemingly had greater needs than at point guard, and there are concerns about Pritchard’s athleticism and whether his game will translate to the professional level.

ESPN’s Mike Schmitz has high hopes for Pritchard in his rookie season, though. The NBA analyst included the 22-year-old among his six rookies who he believes will outplay their draft slot.

“While the Celtics have no shortage of ball handlers, I think Pritchard will work his way onto the floor because of his shooting, ability to play on or off the ball and defensive toughness,” Schmitz wrote. “Jeff Teague is the clear backup point guard behind Kemba Walker, but Pritchard gives Boston a different element as a shot-maker, and he fits in multiple-guard lineups. His no fear mentality makes him playable right away for the Celtics, and he reminds me a bit of Fred VanVleet.”

Pritchard is on the right track in proving Schmitz correct. He was one of the leading bright spots in the Celtics’ preseason opener, scoring 16 points and looking solid on both ends of the floor despite being fast-tracked into game action.

With Walker expected to be sidelined for the first few weeks of the season, Pritchard likely will have extended opportunities to prove his worth early in Year 1.

Bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Why NBA Analyst Believes Payton Pritchard Will Exceed Expectations As Celtics Rookie Empty Re: Why NBA Analyst Believes Payton Pritchard Will Exceed Expectations As Celtics Rookie

Post by wideclyde Thu Dec 17, 2020 11:54 am

I also thought that Pritchard had a very nice first exhibition game the other night.

The author thinks that this kid will perform better than his draft position, but he does not mention what should be expected from a 26th pick. So, without setting some standards for the 26th pick it is difficult to be able to compare whatever Pritchard does this season.

If averaging 12 minutes per game with maybe 7 PPG or 2.5 APG or shoot 45% overall or have only one TPG equals out to out performing his draft spot Pritchard may or may not outperform his draft spot.

As a Cs fan forever, I certainly hope that this kid can continue to play like he did on Tuesday, but the Cs have not had such a high level of performance from any picks above #10 in quite some time. Even #3 picks (Tatum and Brown) or #6 pick (Smart) did not go beyond what Pritchard did in his first game for their entire first seasons. Many others of the team's picks in the 20s were all close to washouts at best.

Go Pritchard!!

wideclyde

Back to top Go down

Why NBA Analyst Believes Payton Pritchard Will Exceed Expectations As Celtics Rookie Empty Re: Why NBA Analyst Believes Payton Pritchard Will Exceed Expectations As Celtics Rookie

Post by dboss Thu Dec 17, 2020 12:32 pm

I tend to frown on late Danny Ainge draft picks.  He reaches a bit too much for my liking.  But this time he did not miss and while Pritchard may have generated a few WTF moments, the reality of what he brings to the Celtics has begun to melt away the doubts.

Repost from my initial reaction

"Danny knocked it out of the park by drafting Nesmith and followed that up with our future starting PG, Pritchard."

Down the road in a year or 2 when Kemba Walker is no longer with us, Pritchard will be more than ready to step into the starting PG position.  Danny needs to find a way to get rid of Waters and Edwards.  I like those kids but they cannot help us as PG's.  There is not much there to develop.
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by gyso Thu Dec 17, 2020 1:07 pm

wideclyde wrote:I also thought that Pritchard had a very nice first exhibition game the other night.

The author thinks that this kid will perform better than his draft position, but he does not mention what should be expected from a 26th pick.  So, without setting some standards for the 26th pick it is difficult to be able to compare whatever Pritchard does this season.

If averaging 12 minutes per game with maybe 7 PPG or 2.5 APG or shoot 45% overall or have only one TPG equals out to out performing his draft spot Pritchard may or may not outperform his draft spot.

As a Cs fan forever, I certainly hope that this kid can continue to play like he did on Tuesday, but the Cs have not had such a high level of performance from any picks above #10 in quite some time. Even #3 picks (Tatum and Brown) or #6 pick (Smart) did not go beyond what Pritchard did in his first game for their entire first seasons.  Many others of the team's picks in the 20s were all close to washouts at best.

Go Pritchard!!

wideclyde,

ESPN's Mike Schmidt included the 22-year-old among his six rookies who he believes will outplay their draft slot, not the author.  But that's just a nit pick by me that has little to do with the gist of your post.  I also hope that Payton Pritchard can earn the trust of Coach Brad Stevens and play some quality minutes off the bench this season and in future seasons to come.

I agree that the Celtics haven't had much recent success picking that late in the first round of the NBA draft. However, we have had some success picking there in the past.  Bob Heckler wrote a nice bit about our history in the draft, along with the reasonable expectations in their draft order:

Bob Heckler wrote:Top 23-30 picks (the remainder of the first round).  The likelihood is that they will be "deep bench", about 40-60%.  They also have a 15-30% chance of being busts.  Pretty much anything better than a bust is acceptable.  The best idea is to trade out of those positions and not pick at all.

Anti Zizic (23) - Deep bench to Bust.  Let's just call him a bust.
Delonte West (24) - Solid back up player who started in 258 out of 432 games played.  This is a win.
Tony Allen (25) - Solid role player, NBA starter.  The Grind Master.  This is a big win.
Payton Pritchard (26) - Too soon to call.
Kendrick Perkins (27) - Starter on a Championship team.  Another BIG win.
Jajuan Johnson (27) - Bust.  But was Big 10 POY and Big 10 DPOY, so there was something there, it just never panned out.  
Robert Williams (27) - Role player or deep bench?  We'll know this year.  Either way he's not a bust and that makes him at least a decent pick at #27.
RJ Hunter (28) - Bust.  He was part of the Doc-to-LAC trade, so another freebie by Danny, but he never worked out.
JR Giddens (30) - Bust.  Drafting #30 has to be the absolute worst place to pick.  The dregs of the first round but without the contract flexibility you get with a 2nd rounder #31 pick.

Three winners (West, Allen and Perk), one ok (The Time Lord), one "too soon to call" and four busts.  If we give RWill the benefit of the doubt and exclude this year's rook that means four good picks, three of which were excellent picks, and 4 busts.  50/50 is pretty damn good this far down in the draft.

If Pritchard can perform as well as Perk, Tony Allen or Delonte West did, I would call his pick a success.

https://samcelt.forumotion.net/t17734-danny-gets-draft-grade-of-45-from-me-overall-since-2003#282756

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down