Post Game Thread - vs Knicks, Home 1/17/21

+4
dbrown4
dboss
Ktron
bobheckler
8 posters

Go down

Post Game Thread - vs Knicks, Home 1/17/21 Empty Post Game Thread - vs Knicks, Home 1/17/21

Post by bobheckler Sun Jan 17, 2021 3:46 pm

I'll get this started.

Awful doesn't fully describe the horror. Some people were feeling a little too good about themselves after the Orlando game. Read some of the media reports.

Yesterday was the 100th anniversary of the passage of the Volstead Act, the 18th Amendment, also known as 'Prohibition'. Lucky must still be terrifically hungover this morning from celebrating because he never showed up.

30% on the game.

Jaylen Brown was Jaylen. The rest? Considering that Smart, with 10 points, was the only other Celtic in double-digits should tell you just how inept at offense we were, and he had to go 4-15 to get those 10.

We were 7-46, 15%, from 3.

Kemba returned and gave us a 3-13 20 minute debacle. 1-8 from 3. 5 turnovers. I've always been a bit skeptical about him and what he brings us. This is just his first game this year, so I shouldn't read too much into this, but he's shooting 42.5% since coming to the Celtics, 38% from 3 and those numbers do not include this game. There were those who thought Gordon wasn't worth the money. Well?

Theis with 7 points on 3-4, 1-2 from 3 and 7 rebounds in 20 minutes. Solid.

Green also played well.

Teague came off the bench and looked exactly like he usually looks when he's not starting...like Shit.

I'm not going to go through the rest of the roster. Every single one of them sucked. ALL of them.

Sean Grande @SeanGrandePBP
about 16 minutes ago
105-75, New York is the final Worst home loss for the Celtics since March of 2007 75 points matches the low in the Brad Stevens era (Feb 2015 vs. Miami) Boston ends up 7-46 from three. 2nd worst 3-point shooting game in franchise history (20+ attempts)

For the Knicks, Randle was a wrecking ball and Immanuel Quickley was a razor blade, slicing through our defense to get to the rim. The ol' ball and chain saw.

https://www.espn.com/nba/boxscore?gameId=401267356

Bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post Game Thread - vs Knicks, Home 1/17/21 Empty Re: Post Game Thread - vs Knicks, Home 1/17/21

Post by Ktron Sun Jan 17, 2021 3:58 pm

bobheckler wrote:I'll get this started.

Awful doesn't fully describe the horror.  Some people were feeling a little too good about themselves after the Orlando game.  Read some of the media reports.

Yesterday was the 100th anniversary of the passage of the Volstead Act, the 18th Amendment, also known as 'Prohibition'.  Lucky must still be terrifically hungover this morning from celebrating because he never showed up.

30% on the game.

Jaylen Brown was Jaylen.  The rest?  Considering that Smart, with 10 points, was the only other Celtic in double-digits should tell you just how inept at offense we were, and he had to go 4-15 to get those 10.

We were 7-46, 15%, from 3.  

Kemba returned and gave us a 3-13 20 minute debacle.  1-8 from 3.  5 turnovers.  I've always been a bit skeptical about him and what he brings us.  This is just his first game this year, so I shouldn't read too much into this, but he's shooting 42.5% since coming to the Celtics, 38% from 3 and those numbers do not include this game.  There were those who thought Gordon wasn't worth the money.  Well?

Theis with 7 points on 3-4, 1-2 from 3 and 7 rebounds in 20 minutes.  Solid.

Green also played well.

Teague came off the bench and looked exactly like he usually looks when he's not starting...like Shit.

I'm not going to go through the rest of the roster.  Every single one of them sucked.  ALL of them.

Sean Grande @SeanGrandePBP
about 16 minutes ago
105-75, New York is the final Worst home loss for the Celtics since March of 2007 75 points matches the low in the Brad Stevens era (Feb 2015 vs. Miami) Boston ends up 7-46 from three. 2nd worst 3-point shooting game in franchise history (20+ attempts)

For the Knicks, Randle was a wrecking ball and Immanuel Quickley was a razor blade, slicing through our defense to get to the rim.  The ol' ball and chain saw.

https://www.espn.com/nba/boxscore?gameId=401267356

Bob

Cant understand how some folks (Scal, Abby etc,) thought Kemba had a good game. Don’t know what they were looking at (Abby did mention his smile which I hate) but he didn’t look very good. I’m hopeful for him down the road but other than Jaylen no one else played like it mattered.

Ktron

Back to top Go down

Post Game Thread - vs Knicks, Home 1/17/21 Empty Re: Post Game Thread - vs Knicks, Home 1/17/21

Post by dboss Sun Jan 17, 2021 5:48 pm

Pretty awful game.  Knicks played more physical and were fouling all over the place but the refs would not blow their whistles.  Kemba played like a guy that has not played in 3months but he did seem to have some quickness which was a good sign..

I would have brought him off the bench though.  He was trying to do way to much and overall the chemistry was bad

The team shot around 15% from deep on 46 attempts.  

I guess the Celts needed to get this one out of their system.
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by dbrown4 Sun Jan 17, 2021 6:59 pm

dboss,

They better have gotten it out of their systems because the next two games are the big ones. And my tentative Sweep in another thread just became a mandatory one. Anything less and the critics are right about us...5th place wannabees looking in from the outside.

I jinxed us in the other thread going on about games later this week and glossing over this one. Knew it as soon as I hit send.

I really did expect us to come out and beat the crap out of them.

Somebody, anybody between the coaches and the players need to have a gong or a hammer or bomb go off that after say 7 missed 3's that tells everyone the 3's aren't falling and to effing go inside. EVERY time we shoot shitty from 3-ville, we continue bricking from there and lose the game. This time the message should have been resounding but alas...

Agreed Kemba should have come off the bench. That might have been the difference.

db
dbrown4
dbrown4

Back to top Go down

Post by worcester Sun Jan 17, 2021 10:41 pm

dboss, playing slow against a Knicks team packed with bigs who can and did rebound offensively is a bad strategy. We should be a running team. Period. Starting GWill alongside TT cripples us effectively as an offensive tea, and then putting Daniel next to Tristan does the same. The paint gets clogged. Same smell as when a toilet gets clogged.

Yes, Kemba needs to come off the bench. Glad his knee is feeling better though. Fingers crossed.

worcester
worcester

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Mon Jan 18, 2021 12:09 am

Some can say this was just one bad terrible game which it sure was. We shot terrible, too many shockingly couldn’t even hit one shot, obviously having the other superstar wing would have really helped, but what a stinky performance by us. An observation that was scary was how their 2 springy 5’s with length totally made our center tandem look weak and too slow and small. Robinson created a lot of havoc in there and Noel finished with 2 blocks, but I thought he had twice as many. Against a plodder like Valancunis, TT looked good, he can bang, but he was a step slow all day against 2 athletic bigs. This shows me we really need the bounce and skill set that RWill provides, especially against these type of young bigs.

Randle and Toppin also looked a lot bigger and more skilled than our 2 squat 4’s GWill and Semi. GWill had some moments, but overall Randle sure worked him and Semi over, just too big and skilled. And this is a serviceable starter, but no where near an all star. I realize if we were hitting our shots and played with more energy, these deficiencies might not have been so apparent, but they sure were today as there’s no way to sugarcoat it.

Last edited by cowens/oldschool on Mon Jan 18, 2021 12:20 am; edited 1 time in total

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Mon Jan 18, 2021 12:18 am

Is it me or did Kemba look not quite ready to play today? We might have been better off giving him more time to get his game/shot/conditioning stronger or maybe they just want to use live games as practice to get him up to speed. I don’t know which method may or may not be better...??!

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by NYCelt Mon Jan 18, 2021 12:57 am

Trap type game for a team with missing and recovering players.

We all knew the first couple of months would be a grind this season.

I wouldn’t read too much into today’s game.
NYCelt
NYCelt

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Mon Jan 18, 2021 2:20 am

NYCelt wrote:Trap type game for a team with missing and recovering players.

Agreed, but really miss seeing RWill and he was just starting to string some strong games together.

On another note, congratulations on your Bills, exciting times for Bills fans!!

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by sinus007 Mon Jan 18, 2021 9:22 am

Hi,
RE: Kemba. It seemed that his quickness is back. But he's very, very rusty.
As for the game, I guess it's one of those "oops" every team gets during the season. Thankfully, it's against NYK, not a potential playoffs opponent.

AK
sinus007
sinus007

Back to top Go down

Post by dbrown4 Mon Jan 18, 2021 11:05 am

Yeah, sinus007, BKN has already reminded us twice what a playoff team looks like!! We're going to have to get the broom out against PHI this week to prove we're contenders and even then everyone will say, "Well, you still lost to NYK by 30 in the same week!!

db
dbrown4
dbrown4

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Mon Jan 18, 2021 2:42 pm

cowens/oldschool wrote:

Agreed, but really miss seeing RWill and he was just starting to string some strong games together.

NYCelt

I have to agree with you. This was just one bad game for a team that is still a work in progress.

It's was a ho hum game.
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by NYCelt Mon Jan 18, 2021 3:57 pm

cowens/oldschool wrote:

Thanks Rich! Wouldn't you know they would have this kind of season when you couldn't go to a game?

Still fun to watch on TV though.

Tough matchup with KC next weekend. That is one tough team.
NYCelt
NYCelt

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Mon Jan 18, 2021 6:48 pm

NYCelt wrote:
cowens/oldschool wrote:

Thanks Rich! Wouldn't you know they would have this kind of season when you couldn't go to a game?

Still fun to watch on TV though.

Tough matchup with KC next weekend. That is one tough team.

Exactly Deano and so much drama with Mahomes being knocked out on a brutal hit and them still pulling it out. Really amazing games and you guys could easily be in the Super Bowl and that comes around very rarely as all sports fans know. Since you guys still represent NY I have to root for them too. You’ve got an elite receiver and surprising defense, great mix of vets and young pieces.

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down