Boston Celtics' Marcus Smart expected to miss 1-2 weeks with Grade 1 calf strain, source says

+6
dbrown4
worcester
bobheckler
Ktron
cowens/oldschool
dboss
10 posters

Go down

Boston Celtics' Marcus Smart expected to miss 1-2 weeks with Grade 1 calf strain, source says Empty Boston Celtics' Marcus Smart expected to miss 1-2 weeks with Grade 1 calf strain, source says

Post by dboss Sun Jan 31, 2021 11:55 am

https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/30811599/boston-celtics-marcus-smart-expected-miss-1-2-weeks-grade-1-calf-strain-source-says

Boston Celtics guard Marcus Smart is expected to miss one to two weeks with a Grade 1 left calf strain, a source told ESPN's Adrian Wojnarowski.

Smart underwent an MRI on Sunday after leaving in the fourth quarter of Boston's 96-95 loss to the Los Angeles Lakers on Saturday with the injury.

Smart, who entered the game averaging 13.2 points and 6.0 assists -- both career highs -- didn't appear to land on anyone's foot when he came down in front of Boston's bench after fighting for a rebound with 10 minutes, 31 seconds remaining in the fourth quarter. But after a moment, Smart grabbed the back of his left leg and collapsed to the ground, writhing in pain.

After Boston called timeout, Smart stayed down for a bit before eventually being helped off the court and immediately back to Boston's locker room by two people on Boston's staff. He put no weight at all on his left leg while being helped off.

Boston, which has lost two games in a row, leaves Monday for a five-game West Coast trip beginning Tuesday in San Francisco against the Golden State Warriors.
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Boston Celtics' Marcus Smart expected to miss 1-2 weeks with Grade 1 calf strain, source says Empty Re: Boston Celtics' Marcus Smart expected to miss 1-2 weeks with Grade 1 calf strain, source says

Post by cowens/oldschool Sun Jan 31, 2021 11:58 am

Wow.....LUCKY!!!

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Boston Celtics' Marcus Smart expected to miss 1-2 weeks with Grade 1 calf strain, source says Empty Re: Boston Celtics' Marcus Smart expected to miss 1-2 weeks with Grade 1 calf strain, source says

Post by Ktron Sun Jan 31, 2021 12:00 pm

Not as bad as I thought. We will miss his production for sure.

Ktron

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Sun Jan 31, 2021 1:25 pm

The best possible scenario.

We need to survive 1 week. Hopefully Pritchard will be back then. They're targeting Wednesday, but we can't count on that.

We play GSW on Tuesday, Sacto on Wednesday. So we've got to defend Steph Curry without Smart and D'Aaron Fox and Buddy Hield after that. Friday we're in Clipperland. Sunday in Phoenix and Devin Booker. Tuesday the 9th against the 15-4 Utah Jazz.

Utah and LAC have the #1 and #2 best records in the NBA right now.

This could be a very, very difficult road trip even if Pritchard is back. Without him and Smart, of course, we're down to Kemba (who better pull his head out of his ass), Teague (who better pull whatever is remaining of his career out of his ass) and two-way player Tremont Waters.

Bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Sun Jan 31, 2021 2:24 pm

Ktron wrote:Not as bad as I thought. We will miss his production for sure.

Unfortunately with PP also out, we got slim pickings.
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Sun Jan 31, 2021 2:33 pm

Jared Weiss @JaredWeissNBA
about 11 minutes ago
Celtics officially state Marcus Smart's injury is a Grade 1 tear of his right medial gastrocnemius (a strain for over stretching the calf) and he is out for just 2-3 weeks.

Bob
MY NOTE:  Now it's 2-3 weeks, not 1-2.  Figure 2 weeks, minimum.  We play on the 14th, which would be exactly 2 weeks from today.  If he comes back on 2/15 that's 8 games missed.

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by worcester Sun Jan 31, 2021 6:51 pm

We could lose the next five games if PP doesn't get back soon.
worcester
worcester

Back to top Go down

Post by dbrown4 Mon Feb 01, 2021 8:11 am

+1 worcester.

db
dbrown4
dbrown4

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Mon Feb 01, 2021 8:27 pm

Marc D'Amico @celtics
about 9 minutes ago
#NEBHInjuryReport update: Brad Stevens says that Marcus Smart (calf) “was really sore yesterday and was still using crutches.” He did not travel with the team to SF. Payton Pritchard (knee) did travel and will go through some portions of practice today, but nothing live.

Bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Wed Mar 10, 2021 12:49 pm

https://www.masslive.com/celtics/2021/03/marcus-smart-injury-celtics-guard-is-pretty-close-to-being-cleared-to-return-from-calf-injury.html

Marcus Smart injury: Celtics’ guard is ‘pretty close to being cleared’ to return from calf injury

Updated 11:49 AM; Today 11:47 AM

Boston Celtics' Marcus Smart expected to miss 1-2 weeks with Grade 1 calf strain, source says HKKTW6FJQ5D5TP4GUYNYG4BFTU
Boston Celtics' Marcus Smart plays against the Los Angeles Lakers during the second half of an NBA basketball game, Saturday, Jan. 30, 2021, in Boston. (AP Photo/Michael Dwyer)AP

By Brian Robb | brobb@masslive.com

The Celtics could be at full strength for the first time all season coming out of the All-Star Break.

Starting guard Marcus Smart is set to practice with the team on Wednesday, according to Brad Stevens in his weekly interview with Zolak and Bertrand on 98.5 The Sports Hub.

“He’s going to practice today, I don’t know how much live he’s going to do,” Brad Stevens said. “That will determine next steps. He’s pretty close to being cleared, so that’s a good thing.”

Smart suffered a torn calf injury against the Los Angeles Lakers on January 30th and has sat out the past 18 games. The Celtics have gone 9-9 in his absence, although they did win four straight games to finish the first half of the season. Smart was originally expected to miss 2-3 weeks but the team has been cautious with his recovery timetable amid a jam-packed schedule in the first half.

“I think they feel really good about the way that everything has healed and the time that was taken,” Stevens said. “I think we will very conservative obviously with that and rightfully so. With all the games we are playing and them all being back up, any injury but certainly any muscular injury, you are going to be super cautious with. I think we feel good about that part. The biggest thing that will be — he hasn’t played since January 30th so there is going to be a wind factor. When he comes back, he’ll still be limited.”

The Celtics return from the All-Star Break by facing two of the best three teams in the NBA, including the Brooklyn Nets on Thursday night at Barclays Center. Smart’s availability for that game is not yet clear but Stevens is eager to get Smart back in the fold and take advantage of the versatility he brings to the table.

“I think, first of all, any time you are missing a good player, you can’t replace him with one guy,” Stevens said of Smart’s absence. “You just have to replace what he does with the whole group. I think, at times, we did that well. Again, to finish those last four games out the way that we did I think was really encouraging. Marcus gives us way more defensive flexibility in our ability to switch. He can guard one through four in most games and one through five in some games. That kind of versatility, when you get past Jaylen and Jayson with our team is really, really needed just because we aren’t that big other than those guys on the wing.

" I think on the other end, Marcus leads us in assists. It feels like I’m always answering questions about Marcus’ shot selection even those he’s a mid-30s shooter from 3 but he knows how to play. I think that his feel on offense, his ability to make a drive and kickout, his willingness to make extra passes, his ability to get to the rim and get fouled, we missed. Let alone, just that ability It will be good to get him back.”

The Celtics currently sit at the fourth seed in the Eastern Conference at 19-17 in a tightly packed playoff race in the East. With Romeo Langford also set to practice on Wednesday, Boston’s brass will get a full look at this team’s roster in the coming days, a crucial evaluation tool ahead of the March 25th trade deadline.

“My biggest concern through the first 36 games we managed, and was not wearing down Jaylen and Jayson,” Stevens explained. “Knowing Kemba was going to be out and losing Marcus for 18 games, half our season so far, that put a huge burden on those guys. You saw it catch up with them on a few separate occasions. I’m hopeful that we can maintain some good health, knock on wood.”

Bob
MY NOTE:  Well, this is happy news.  I predict we will be a completely different team with him on the floor, unrecognizable from a month ago (I know, really going out on a limb here aren't I?).  

This thread was started by dboss on 1/31.  Today is 3/10.  Marcus has been out for 5 1/2 weeks.  This is why I do not believe a single freaking thing Danny says about player availability.  There is no way the prognosis for an injury as simple as a calf strain could be so far off.  There is no extended rehab, just resting, healing and then getting back into game shape.

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by NYCelt Wed Mar 10, 2021 1:01 pm

This is where it gets interesting.

Things continue to pick up with Smart back, as they were starting to prior to the break, and anything with that TPE is strictly summer action.
NYCelt
NYCelt

Back to top Go down

Post by worcester Wed Mar 10, 2021 8:38 pm

A torn calf is different that a strained calf, and both are not the same as the fatted calf which at times must be sacrificed.
worcester
worcester

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Wed Mar 10, 2021 9:06 pm

Well he likely plays some tomorrow.

The Celtics have missed him greatly.

dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Wed Mar 10, 2021 9:44 pm

dboss wrote:Well he likely plays some tomorrow.

The Celtics have missed him greatly.

Ya think?

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Thu Mar 11, 2021 10:13 am

worcester wrote:A torn calf is different that a strained calf, and both are not the same as the fatted calf which at times must be sacrificed.

worcester,

And remember what happened with that whole fatted calf affair. A bunch of stone got broken.

Bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by RosalieTCeltics Thu Mar 11, 2021 10:23 am

Thanks for that explanation Worcester, I am now totally confused!!!!!!!

So I have to say it, What the hell is with Langford???? Here he was ready to be active again and
puts himself in this position. He should have been locked up in a room with no visitors this last couple of weeks if he was that close.

Everyone wants to talk about how immature RW was? This kid tops it as far as I am concerned.
I know I am being harsh, but this kid has hardly played a game for the $$ he has already collected. You would think he would be so much more careful than to put himself in a position where he is now out indefinitely with health protocols.
RosalieTCeltics
RosalieTCeltics

Back to top Go down

Post by gyso Thu Mar 11, 2021 10:39 am

Rosalie,

I searched "Romeo Langford Celtics Covid" and only found Brad Stevens' comment. There is nothing out there that does any 'splainin'.

It's too soon to trash him, IMO.

Back to top Go down

Post by atcross Thu Mar 11, 2021 11:04 am

RosalieTCeltics wrote:Thanks for that explanation Worcester, I am now totally confused!!!!!!!

So I have to say it, What the hell is with Langford????  Here he was ready to be active again and
puts himself in this position.  He should have been locked up in a room with no visitors this last couple of weeks if he was that close.  

Everyone wants to talk about how immature RW was?  This kid tops it as far as I am concerned.
I know I am being harsh, but this kid has hardly played a game for the $$ he has already collected.  You would think he would be so much more careful than to put himself in a position where he is now out indefinitely  with health protocols.

Langford "has hardly played a game" due to injury. And entire teams, including some very experienced players, have had to sit due to Covid. Short of being hermetically sealed in a room (which makes conditioning tough) you can't isolate someone 100%. And it doesn't sound like we know for sure whether Langford tested positive or was just flagged due to contract tracing, which is nearly impossible to prevent. Meanwhile I've never seen a bad word about his attitude or maturity. Quite the opposite.

atcross

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Thu Mar 11, 2021 11:13 am

In other Celtics injury news, Brad Stevens told reporters that 2019 first-round pick Romeo Langford has been cleared to play and could have returned Thursday, but that he is currently in health and safety protocols and therefore still unavailable as of now.

At this stage, it isn’t clear whether Langford tested positive for COVID or whether he simply was in contact with someone who did. The NBA’s protocols require a player who tests positive to either test negative twice or wait 10 days. They must then go through a full cardiac screening before returning to the court. If Langford was simply exposed to someone with COVID, he will undergo testing as well.

Bob
MY NOTE:  No other explanation offered.  We don't know if he has tested positive for COVID or if it's just contact tracing.  There is not only a difference in the effect on Romeo's body, we've seen first hand the slow comeback from COVID Tatum has had, but in how quickly the league will let him play. One can do two tests within a matter of days.

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by RosalieTCeltics Thu Mar 11, 2021 11:22 am

It is a miracle that, so far, no one tested positive coming from the All Star game. I know we hopefully are on the otherside of this nightmarish virus, but, no one can be too careful. My husband has his first shot at the Veteran's last week. Unfortunately, I have been told to hold off for a while, just so many things I have had reactions to and so many health issues to be worried about, So....here I sit, waiting for tip off!!!!!!!!!!!!!
RosalieTCeltics
RosalieTCeltics

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Thu Mar 11, 2021 12:12 pm

It’s asinine, a bunch of states are waiving the mask wearing, way too soon IMHO.

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by RosalieTCeltics Thu Mar 11, 2021 12:28 pm

all they have to do is open that door and you are going to see more and more people without masks. Big mistake in my opinion. Going just a little too fast for me. Hey, I hardly go out, but when I do there is a mask on my face. I pray we are not sorry
RosalieTCeltics
RosalieTCeltics

Back to top Go down

Post by NYCelt Thu Mar 11, 2021 2:31 pm

Having nothing to do with Smart's calf, but on the topic of Covid and hoops...Duke is done for the year due to a positive Covid test.

Romeo is just chalking up yet another delay. He's getting paid pretty well for someone who never makes it to work.
NYCelt
NYCelt

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Thu Mar 11, 2021 5:35 pm

cowens/oldschool wrote:It’s asinine, a bunch of states are waiving the mask wearing, way too soon IMHO.

It is hard to understand. Everything now is so political. The hell with science.

Just found out my next door neighbor lost his mom to Covid.
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down