jrleftfoot
9 posters

Go down

POST GAME LAC - HOME Empty POST GAME LAC - HOME

Post by 112288 Tue Mar 02, 2021 10:23 pm

Celtics Wrap: Kemba Walker Leads Boston To Third Straight Win Vs. Clippers
Boston pulled out a 117-112 victory

NESN by Alexandra Francisco

Tuesday night was exactly what we’ve all come to expect from a matchup between the Boston Celtics and Los Angeles Clippers.

Despite Kawhi Leonard being ruled out just before tip-off with back spasms, and Marcus Morris Sr. being ruled out with a concussion at halftime, it was a hight-scoring, back-and-forth game that featured a ton of awesome highlights.

Boston managed to squeeze out the narrow 117-112 victory, though, to improve to 18-17 and win their third straight contest.

Kemba Walker was crucial to the Celtics’ success, leading with 25 points, six assists and four rebounds. Jaylen Brown had 18 points, six rebounds and two assists and Jayson Tatum (14 point, five rebounds and two steals) made up for a slow start by coming up clutch in the fourth quarter.

But off the bench, Payton Pritchard (14 points, three assists, two rebounds and a steal) and Robert Williams (13 points, eight rebounds, four assists, and three blocks) were electric.

Paul George had 32 points, five rebounds and four assists for the Clippers, and Reggie Jackson offered 25 points and seven assists in the loss.

Here’s how it all went down:

STARTING FIVE

PG: Kemba Walker
SG: Jaylen Brown
SF: Jayson Tatum
PF: Daniel Theis
C: Tristan Thompson

LOTS OF OFFENSE

Boston shot well from the get-go, hitting their first 7-of-8 field goals and shooting 62.5% from the field and 66.7% from deep.

Jaylen Brown led that effort, racking up 14 points, two rebounds and two assists while showing no rust after sitting out last game.

Boston led by as many as eight points in the opening frame against a Leonard-less defense, though LA kept things close.

Thompson had seven first-quarter points, while Walker had five points and four assists early.

George couldn’t seem to miss for LA, though, going 5-for-6 from the field for a team-high 12 points.

Boston finished the quarter up 35-32.

LEAD CHANGE GALORE

Payton Pritchard and Robert Williams offered Boston a lot of energy starting the second, and the Celtics got up to 66.7% shooting briefly.

With a mid-range jumper, George tied things up at 55-55, and with just under two minutes left, former Celtics player Marcus Morris hit a 3-pointer to take the lead.

It was back and forth from there, with 17 (!) lead changes in the first half.

Brown and Walker had 16 and 11 points, respectively, at the end of the second. Thompson had nine points, five rebounds an assist and this block:

But behind George’s 21 first-half points, in addition to 10-apiece from Morris and Reggie Jackson, the Clippers led 63-62.

CLUTCH KEMBA

Walker drained a 3 for the first points of the game to give Boston the advantage back, and he added to it on their next offensive possession.

It was short lived, as the Clippers enjoyed their largest lead of the game (six points) at points in the third, but Walker carried the team in the third as the Celtics didn’t let the lead get out of hand. He had 13 points in the third quarter alone.

Meanwhile, LA had 23 team assists by the end of the third, as it displayed great movement on the floor.

George had 27 points by the end of the frame, and the Clippers led 89-88 entering the final quarter.

4Q

Pritchard and Williams continued to raise the energy for Boston in the opening minutes of the fourth, and with a Teague triple assisted by Williams, the Celtics went up 100-94.

This was basically Robert Williams all game:

Ivica Zubac quickly helped dissipated it, though, before the Celtics went on another small run.

After Tatum missed six consecutive shots, he finally got going when it counted. A 3-point jumper assisted by Williams gave Boston a 109-100 lead with 5:36 to play. It was the Celtics largest lead to that point, until Tatum hit a 2 a few sequences later.

Tatum’s increased production was the difference, as the Celtics closed out the game thanks to free throws from Theis and Walker down the stretch.

NEXT UP

One more game sits between the Celtics and the All-Star break. They take on the Toronto Raptors next who’s roster and coaching staff has been essentially decimated due to COVID-19 contact tracing.

That game, if it happens, will be Thursday, March 4 at 7 p.m. ET.

Back to top Go down

POST GAME LAC - HOME Empty Re: POST GAME LAC - HOME

Post by jrleftfoot Tue Mar 02, 2021 11:42 pm

The Js look dog tired.Wish they would skip the ASG, but that's not happening. At least Nick Nurse won't be there to wear them down like he did Kemba. That game was fun to watch. I can t wait to see Smartie added to the mix.I'm going to try to be less knee jerk, and hold my fire until he's back for a few.
jrleftfoot
jrleftfoot

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Wed Mar 03, 2021 10:22 am

Learning how to win with 2 J’s not on their A game, great contributions from Kemba, PP, RWill, even Teague was good. Still not crazy of offense, still stretches of too much me ball, didn’t really know what to do vs zone, but in strange season will definitely take it. Wish we can get J’s healthier....

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by Vankisa Wed Mar 03, 2021 10:32 am

Teague was good? I have to watch that game now...

Or you mean on offense not defense right Very Happy ?

Vankisa

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Wed Mar 03, 2021 10:56 am

Kawhi was a game-time scratch, so I don't know how much of a true test this game was as far as our ability to compete at a high level, but I do think it was another very good test to see if we've got ganas. The largest lead of the game was 11 points, by us, while their largest was 6. So the game was never really out of reach or almost out of reach. A nice run backed up by some stops and/or sloppy play and the other team was back in it. These tests are character definers and, after last month, I am very, very interested in seeing our team's true character.

I've said many times that if one team is shooting 50% from 3 it is very hard for them to lose. Hopefully it's us that's shooting lights out but if it isn't we are in a world of hurt. Last night both teams were shooting lights out from 3. They shot 18-38, 47.4%, while we shot a solid 16-32, 50%. Everybody was just smokin' them. Reggie Jackson was 5-6 from 3 and had 25 points. Luckily, PG13 was 5-15 from 3. With Kawhi out he felt the need to carry more of the load. He played 39 minutes and you could see his legs going towards the end. He was 4-9 from 3 after 3, with 27 total points, but ended up 5-15 and 32 points. That's a 1-6 from 3 4th quarter for Paul George. In fact, he was 2-10 in the 4th overall. He had 12 points after 1 on blistering shooting, 21 at the half and still shooting 8-12, but only 11 points in the 2nd half.

I think, at this point, I'm comfortable saying that Kemba's back. A couple of good games in a row in which he showed us the old Kemba. This makes a huge difference, in a lot of ways. It means we're harder to defend, for one. For another, it makes him more valuable trade bait. I'm not saying Danny will but with Danny you never, ever know. Either way it's all good. I'm on record as saying I'd like our "Big 3" to be the Js and a big, rather than another back court player, but a Charlotte Kemba and the Js is still pretty good.

We needed Kemba to offset another awful outing by the NBA's newest Poster Boy, Jayson Tatum. Another 5-16 stinker. He no longer has any shot discipline. He almost goes out of his way to make his shots as hard as possible. he repeatedly dribbles into double-teams and either loses the ball on a steal or makes a lousy pass out of trouble. He's slow thinking, either way. He no longer runs without the ball. When was the last time you saw Jayson Tatum run a fast break, or cut without the ball in the half court. I know about COVID and all, I'm just stating what I'm seeing. He's killing our ball movement because he's ME-balling and not giving whomever has the ball a passing target on a cut.

Jaylen with a decent game offensively, 18 points on 8-14, just not what we've become used to. We're spoiled now.

Thompson, after a very anemic outing against Washington, was Tristan Thompson again. 9 boards, 5 offensive, and 13 points on 6-10 is what we expect from him. He only needed 21 minutes to do it all too. That kind of efficiency will win us games.

Theis with a relatively unimpactful game except for the final 2 ftms that iced the game for us. RWill had a chance to do that but he only hit 1 of 2. Theis, who has been struggling from the line recently, went to the stripe and hit both. BIG, clutch fritos by Theis. That's how you win clutch games, that's how you advance in the playoffs. You hit your gimmes.

Speaking of RWill, he started off slow and largely invisible. 6 points and 2 rebounds in 10 minutes isn't much of a first half for a big. Late in the game, though, he really shined. We all remember Red's philosophy that it doesn't matter who starts the game, it's who ends it that matters, right? The Time Lord played 10 minutes in the 4th. In those 10 minutes he had 4 points, a block, 4 rebounds (1 offensive), an assist and a jump ball won. He had 4 ftas but only made 2, clearly the weakest part of his game. It finally, really and truly, is The Time Lord's time.

And RWill has a great 2-man game going with Pritchard. Clint Capela has made a very nice career for himself by having players like Harden, Westbrook and now Trae Young penetrating, drawing defenders to them and then throwing the alley oop to him. Pritchard is, arguably, our best ballhandler and when he take players off the dribble he gives great opportunities for alley oops to Williams, and he delivers them on target. 14 points on 5-8 and 4-7 from 3 in 23 minutes for PP. 3 assists and only 1 TO. Every game I see like this convinces me even more that my disapproval of "one-and-done" drafting is short-sighted.

They were without Kawhi and that's a bigger deal than us being without Smart, but they are a very good team. They now, with this loss, have a 24-13 record and are 12-7 on the road. Kawhi or no Kawhi they are a good team. He has played in 29 of LAC's 37 games to-date. I don't know how many of their 13 losses were the games he was out but they seem to roll along regardless. I know I'd kill for us to have a 24-13 record and have that kind of a winning record on the road.

The Raptors are next up. They are severely depleted from COVID, the game might not even be played. If we win that game at home we will have a 4 game winning streak and the past month loses some of its sting.

https://www.espn.com/nba/boxscore?gameId=401267697

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by dbrown4 Wed Mar 03, 2021 11:05 am

Bobh,

Nothing to add.  All very good points.  +1.  

However, you are starting to sound like the announcers on ANY game that features the Celtics or ANY team playing LA teams...

"blah, blah, blah, the Lakers are without Anthony Davis, blah, blah, blah."  Ad infinitum/nauseum.  No mention of our #1 player missing.  EVER.  MAYBE once at best in the pre-game.  

They always start early and often repeating it when it looks like they may lose.  The later in the game and the closer to losing they get, it ratchets up until it's unbearable. Last night was no exception. Everytime I looked at the screen, Kawhi was being highlighted for not being there. Never heard MS mentioned, maybe once.  

We're without Marcus Smart.  We still would have beaten those clowns.  Probably worse.  As far as the announcers are concerned, MS is not even on our team anymore.  Enough already!!!

db

Last edited by dbrown4 on Wed Mar 03, 2021 11:14 am; edited 1 time in total
dbrown4
dbrown4

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Wed Mar 03, 2021 11:08 am

Vankisa wrote:Teague was good? I have to watch that game now...

Or you mean on offense not defense right Very Happy ?

He hit some shots, every shot was crucial, didn’t make a bunch of bad plays like the Golden Child still does every game....

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Wed Mar 03, 2021 11:46 am

JT is a great young player who needs to learn when to pass the ball.  He has a bad case of tunnel vision.  He plays too much one on one basketball when he really does not need to play that way.  He needs to keep the ball moving.  He wastes too much energy instead of moving without the ball for catch and shoot opportunities.

Little by little Brad Stevens is coming to the realization that RW can play and can play well when given extended opportunities.  For the first time in his short career Rob has averaged 20.6 MPG in a 3 game set.  His 3 game totals -  33 points, 25 rebounds, 10 assists, 5 blocks 13/18 from the field (72.2%)  Brad has turned the corner I think.  Rob does not have to share limited playing time with Grant William, an undersized and unathletic player, at center,.  Brad was obviously mistaken when he decided to give it a go with Grant playing the 5.  What is shining through the fog is what a great feel Rob has for the game.  His passing and handoffs are precise and now that he is getting more looks in the PNR we are seeing the value.  He has been weaponized.  The confidence factor means, yes you can put him in the game during close outs because he is our best pure rebounder.  

Kemba Walker played well again and everyone is happy and thinking that the long draught is over.  I however have a different take.  Reggie Jackson went for 25 points on 10-14.  Jackson is not a highend offensive player.

PP played well and is developing great chemistry with Rob.

TT played well but did not play much in the 2nd half as BS went with RW and DT.  

JB started the game on fire and cooled off but he also did not get a lot of opportunities down the stretch because Jayson and Kemba played hog the ball.

Teague is trying to at least earn some of his vet minimum salary and Semi has become a reliable low volume but efficient shot maker.

This win guarantees that we will be at least at .500 going into the break.  So where do we go from here?

I am looking forward to the return of Marcus Smart.   In JB's post game he stated that they need to be better on defense and Marcus will help in that area.  It sounded like he will be in the 3 point contest but may not play in the game.  Did anyone hear his interview?  Can you confirm?

Danny Ainge is at another crossroad with this team.

Kemba Walker is scoring better and playing better so I wonder if this is the time to move him?  I think it is but only if you are able to add a veteran scorer like a Harrison Barnes for example.  I think we can still be very competitive because RW changes our center dynamic.  The call for adding another center does not seem to be as critical.

We should be able to still win a lot of game with MS at the point along with an expanded roll for PP.  But if we do not add another scorer we probably do not win this year.

Back to reality.  Danny will be hard pressed to move kemba until he is in the last year of his over priced contract.  How he is used by Brad is the key.  If he is shooting well you play him and if his game is off you limit his playing time.  He will never be able to adequately defend his position.  

I do believe that Danny should use the big TPE to build for the present and the future.  We have to replace the production that GH took with him.

So we keep Walker in absence of a good opportunity to move him.  We get Marcus back.  We make RW a 20+ MPG guy.  We add a veteran shooter/scorer/defender and we go to war!
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by NYCelt Wed Mar 03, 2021 2:20 pm

Has the trade Kemba train officially derailed? His steady recovery has him looking more like the player we originally got; an important piece for a contending roster.

Speaking of trains, all aboard the RW3 train. No fluke. He's consistently making better decisions with more minutes played.

With a full-strength back-court including Walker and Smart, RW3 showing highlight reel talent, Theis and Thompson giving steady minutes, the post All-Star picture should give a better indication of where this team is. A better idea of what the Celtics need to do to contend in the East may be available by April.
NYCelt
NYCelt

Back to top Go down

Post by dbrown4 Wed Mar 03, 2021 2:28 pm

NYCelt,

All as was/is predicted by the brain trusts on this site! Enjoy the 2nd half of the season..but let's take out TOR first before the break. I still need 4-0 on this recent run to sign off on everything!! 3-1 will look pretty bad now since TOR is so short-handed. But things have definitely taken a turn for the better in Celtic Land!

db
dbrown4
dbrown4

Back to top Go down

Post by NYCelt Wed Mar 03, 2021 2:34 pm

dbrown4 wrote:NYCelt,

All as was/is predicted by the brain trusts on this site!  Enjoy the 2nd half of the season..but let's take out TOR first before the break.  I still need 4-0 on this recent run to sign off on everything!!  3-1 will look pretty bad now since TOR is so short-handed.  But things have definitely taken a turn for the better in Celtic Land!

db

dbrown,

So we're officially smart, right?

I've got to call my wife and tell her!

I hope she doesn't sound too surprised...

Regards
NYCelt
NYCelt

Back to top Go down

Post by 112288 Wed Mar 03, 2021 2:43 pm

NY Celt

It all comes down to can Kimba get the two J's involved in the offense outside of passing the ball and they both go into their iso dance.  I never doubted  that Kimba would turn his game around.  No one looses their game overnight.  

The question for Danny however is, does he want his point guard to be a great outside shooter and 3 point threat while averaging 4 -5 assists per game, or does Danny want a point guard like Rondo who is a true floor general where he gets all his teammates involved offensively
and is a constant double assist guy every night.

Up to last nights game, Kimba never got Williams III involved offensively.  All of a sudden Brown throws up an an alley opp, and Williams does a power jam.  Hello Kimba....hello Brad,  you did not see his great leaping ability before?

As far as I am concerned, the Celtics currently have no creativity to their offensive game. It is quite predictable and boring.  Run up to the 3 point arc....shoot .........get the ball go outside the arc and shoot.   Predictable, predictable, predictable.

This 3 point balling is for the birds, you live and die by it.  Get into a close meaningful game and your 3 point shots are not falling, the Celtics look like a deer in headlights, they do not know what to do!

Back to top Go down

Post by NYCelt Wed Mar 03, 2021 2:51 pm

112288 wrote:
This 3 point balling is for the birds, you live and die by it.  

True, and exactly why I feel a center who can provide inside scoring and control the paint on both ends is the biggest need on the team right now. I make it the top priority, just ahead of some experienced depth off the bench. RW3 is making a case that he can help fill this critical need, however. Fingers crossed.

It's all about balance.
NYCelt
NYCelt

Back to top Go down

Post by gyso Wed Mar 03, 2021 4:10 pm

NYCelt wrote:
dbrown4 wrote:NYCelt,

All as was/is predicted by the brain trusts on this site!  Enjoy the 2nd half of the season..but let's take out TOR first before the break.  I still need 4-0 on this recent run to sign off on everything!!  3-1 will look pretty bad now since TOR is so short-handed.  But things have definitely taken a turn for the better in Celtic Land!

db

dbrown,

So we're officially smart, right?

I've got to call my wife and tell her!

I hope she doesn't sound too surprised...

Regards

Don't be surprised if she says you're only smart about stupid stuff!

Back to top Go down

Post by dbrown4 Wed Mar 03, 2021 5:15 pm

Yeah, NYCelt. I'd break the news to her in pieces!

Charles Barkey says it best. "You don't live by the 3 and die by the 3, you die by the 3!"

db
dbrown4
dbrown4

Back to top Go down

Post by Vankisa Wed Mar 03, 2021 6:30 pm

Watching the replay I have to say this multiple wings theory in Brad Stevens' system is starting to get me nervous. I see Jaylen Brown playing great nullifying a great 1Q be Paul George.

Then he sits for like 7 minutes straight. I guess that is fine he stayed longer than the other 2 in the 1Q (the entire thing I believe actually). What happens is he joins in and Kemba and JT are running the same exact play where one of them get it off of dribble hand-off then penetrates/1v1 etc. but there are 3 of them now and our "offense" requires 1 or 2 only so Brown gets to watch from the sidelines a bit.

Jaylen Brown's first meaningful touch of the Ball was at min 01:28 in 2Q... His first attempted FG was (second touch, also made basket) at 00:25 2Q. I have not watched the second half but if there is a way too cool off your hot hand this is pretty much textbook.

And I am sure it is not on purpose it is just a static, predictable offense which has the added problem of putting the ball in the hand of one of our 3 wings and making him CREATE a play while the other 2 can sit in one of the 2 designated 3pt shooting spots and wait around...

EDIT: Just heard the commentator on TNT with a stunning stat: Boston when trailing in the half: 1-11... Wow... This pretty much tells you were the team is at doesn't it?

EDIT2: And apparently Jaylen Brown had 16 point first half, 2 point second half... Also Kemba is getting his feet nicely recently. Still pounds the ball way too much and costs the team a significant amount of possessions.

Vankisa

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Wed Mar 03, 2021 8:05 pm

We are about 3 weeks from the trade deadline.  

A veteran scorer would be most helpful.
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down