C's Shock the World with Historic Comeback Behind Tatum's 60

3 posters

Go down

C's Shock the World with Historic Comeback Behind Tatum's 60 Empty C's Shock the World with Historic Comeback Behind Tatum's 60

Post by bobheckler Sat May 01, 2021 1:03 pm

https://www.nba.com/celtics/news/sidebar/post-0430210-cs-shock-the-world-with-historic-comeback-behind-tatums-60

C's Shock the World with Historic Comeback Behind Tatum's 60 Tatum_65

C's Shock the World with Historic Comeback Behind Tatum's 60

By Marc D'Amico |  @Marc_DAmico
Celtics.com

May 1, 2021

Friday night will forever be known as the Miracle on Causeway.

Or maybe it will be known as The Jayson Tatum Game.

Whichever storyline one chooses to take with them from Friday night, it will be a memorable one for many, many years to come.

Behind Tatum’s franchise record-tying 60 points, the Boston Celtics staged a miraculous comeback to capture a 143-140 overtime victory over the visiting San Antonio Spurs. Boston trailed by as many as 32 points during the first half and by 29 points at halftime, marking the second-largest halftime deficit overcome in NBA history, per ESPN Stats & Info. Additionally, NBA teams had lost 1,014 consecutive games after trailing by 32 or more points, per the Associated Press, before the Celtics put hit the breaks on that streak.

This was a victory that defied all odds and was historic in nature – quite literally.

“The 30-plus point deficit we overcame, never even like seen that in person or watched it,” said rookie Aaron Nesmith, who played a critical role in the comeback by scoring 16 points off the bench. “To be a part of it is just incredible.”

Jaylen Brown added of his team’s historic comeback, “I don’t think I’ve ever been a part of a 30-point comeback, and it was perfect timing.”

It sure was, and it all took place over the final 19 minutes of regulation plus overtime as Tatum’s hot hands began to throw fireballs into the basket.

Beginning at the 6:14 mark of the third quarter, with Boston trailing by 26, Tatum went on a run that featured 34 points over the final 23 minutes and 14 seconds of regulation and overtime. To put that into perspective, San Antonio’s entire team scored a total of 47 points over that same lengthy span.

Tatum’s run included five points during the third quarter, 21 during the fourth quarter, and another 10 during the overtime session.

This scoring surge pushed Tatum to the top of Boston’s single-game scoring list with Larry Bird. Bird also scored a career-high 60 points on March 12, 1985 against the Atlanta Hawks.

Friday’s performance by Tatum isn’t the first one that placed him in the same break as Bird, either. Just three weeks ago, Tatum tallied 53 points during an overtime win over the Minnesota Timberwolves, which placed him in the same conversation as Celtics greats like Bird and Kevin McHale with regard to single-game scoring efforts. After that game, he said being mentioned alongside those all-time greats was “an honor.”

Tatum is no longer going to be just mentioned in the same breath at those greats. He is now cemented as one of those greats, as he sits atop the individual scoring list with none other than Larry Legend himself. Tatum gave a laugh of disbelief after that fact was recited to him, before he tried to cobble together words for a reaction.

“That is… it’s hard to – I don’t know,” he said during his postgame press conference. “Obviously anytime you’re mentioned with a top-10 player of all time in any stat, obviously that is a good thing. It’s something I never I think would have imagined at this age.”

The 23-year-old then concluded by stating what was very obvious to all who were listening: “It’s hard to put into words, but it’s just a surreal feeling.”

Likewise, it was a surreal feeling for his teammates to watch Tatum’s performance unfold, but they wouldn’t have had it any other way.

Tatum’s scoring surged Boston back into the game beginning in the third quarter, and the C’s finally tied the game with 5:36 remaining in regulation. At that point, Tatum had already scored 13 points during the frame, but he had another eight more to score to send the game to overtime.

Tatum’s dominance carried right over to the extra session, as he scored 10 of Boston’s 15 points while putting constant pressure on San Antonio’s defense. He made and attempted six free throws during the extra frame, and he dished the hockey-assist that led to Brown’s game-changing 3-pointer to help seal Boston’s extraordinary victory.

Take either of Friday night’s incredible circumstances on their own and you’d have one incredible night to remember.

From a team perspective, these Celtics became the first group in franchise history to overcome a halftime deficit of 29 or more points, and they became the first team in 1,015 tries to log a win after trailing by at least 32 points.

From an individual perspective, Tatum etched his name into the top of the Celtics history books with a sensational 60-point performance that lands him right next to one of the game’s all-time greats in Bird.

Add those two storylines together, and you’ve got a situation that was summed up perfectly by Tatum himself: “It was a special night,” he said

It sure was, and it’s one which will live on in Celtics history for many years to come.

Bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

C's Shock the World with Historic Comeback Behind Tatum's 60 Empty Re: C's Shock the World with Historic Comeback Behind Tatum's 60

Post by worcester Sat May 01, 2021 1:29 pm

A few years ago I was watching the Pats get blown out by the Falcons in the SuperBowl, and I told my gal Kathleen we should leave at halftime. She reminded me who was playing QB for NE and that we should stay and see the game out. Sure glad we did as the Pats made a historic comeback win.

Last night when we Celts were down by 32, I told Kath that this game was OVER. I was sad but not a masochist, and that we could never make up a deficit like that against a Popovich coached team. Ha! This time Kath said that not only would we tie the game, but we would win it in overtime. She has the best woman's intuition of any sport fan I know, and I am on her team  to the very end.

Last edited by worcester on Sat May 01, 2021 3:26 pm; edited 1 time in total
worcester
worcester

Back to top Go down

C's Shock the World with Historic Comeback Behind Tatum's 60 Empty Re: C's Shock the World with Historic Comeback Behind Tatum's 60

Post by RosalieTCeltics Sat May 01, 2021 2:06 pm

I have watched some of the greatest play basketball over my lifetime. What Tatum did last night will live forever in the minds of many young people who have never experienced such a display of pure skill, dominance and pure heart. It was the most unbelievable display I have seen in this generation of players. I know others have scored more points, but none under these circumstances. Being down 32 was a nightmare for this team. By the middle of the third quarter, my heart was beating so hard I thought it was going to jump out of my chest. That is when I said to myself "they are going to win this game".

Who knows what the future holds for Jason, but one quote out of his mouth last night after the game made me so proud of him THIS IS WHAT BEING A BOSTON CELTIC IS ALL ABOUT, NEVER GIVING UP" He knew he was hot and he took full advantage, driving inside constantly, forcing the Spurs to make mistakes on his coverage. They had two men on him at times, it did not matter. It reminded me of Larry the night he set the Atlanta Hawks bench on fire, shot after shot. Or the Phoenix triple overtime game where everyone and anyone was hitting shots to prolong that game. This was one man.........Bill Russell must have been proud of this young man last night.
Wherever we end up in the standings, this is one for the ages. I am happy to say I watched it, I only wish I was there to see it.

RosalieTCeltics
RosalieTCeltics

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Sun May 02, 2021 10:28 am

marcus smart
@smart_MS3
·
19h
I want to s/o
@jaytatum0
 obviously Firebut I REALLY want to shout out  
@aaronnesmith24
who’s been unreal last few games. A Never Give Up team!

MY NOTE:  Smart publicly appreciating 3Smith is nice.

Boston Celtics
@celtics
·
Apr 30
"That boy is destined for greatness,"
@FCHWPO
says of
@jaytatum0

MY NOTE:  FCHWPO is Jaylen Brown's twitter ID.  It stands for 'Faith, Consistency, Hard Work Pays Off".

Celtics Stats
@celtics_stats
·
Apr 30
Jayson Tatum is the first player in Celtics franchise history to produce multiple 50-point games in a single season

BostonCelticsForever
@BostonCelts4eva
·
May 1
Jayson Tatum is the only player in NBA history to score 60 or more points in a 30+ comeback win.

Isaiah Thomas
@isaiahthomas
·
Apr 30
60??? Now that’s cold!!! Do yo thang killa

Bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down