Inaugural Tommy Award Winner

5 posters

Go down

Inaugural Tommy Award Winner Empty Inaugural Tommy Award Winner

Post by bobheckler Sun May 09, 2021 10:57 pm

https://www.nba.com/celtics/news/sidebar/050921-smart-honored-earn-inaugural-tommy-award-celtics-celebrate-heinsohns-legacy

Inaugural Tommy Award Winner Tommy

Smart Honored to Earn Inaugural ‘Tommy Award’ as C’s Celebrate Heinsohn’s Legacy

By Taylor Snow |  @taylorcsnow
Celtics.com
May 9, 2021

Tommy Heinsohn took a special liking to Marcus Smart when the 20-year-old Texas native first arrived in Boston in the fall of 2014. The legendary Celtics player/coach/broadcaster loved Smart’s grit and hustle, and he saw in the young guard the same selfless pride that he himself had possessed for more than half of a century: Celtics Pride.

It was only fitting that Smart – the heart and soul of the current Celtics roster – would win the inaugural “Tommy Award” as a part of Tommy Heinsohn Day at TD Garden.

The Celtics and NBC Sports Boston commemorated the late, great Celtics Legend throughout Sunday’s matchup with the Miami Heat, giving Celtics Nation the opportunity to celebrate the incomparable legacy that Heinsohn established over a 65-year span with the organization.

“I’ve thought about him I think probably every day,” Celtics majority owner and governor Wyc Grousbeck said looking back on Heinsohn's passing six months prior. “I don’t feel like he’s gone yet. I don’t want him to be gone. We want to remember him every way that we can.”

One of the ways in which the team will remember him is through the Tommy Award, an annual version of NBC Sports Boston’s gamely recognition of the same name, which will be presented to the Celtic who “best embodies attributes of hustle, effort, and pride throughout the season.”

And being its first recipient and a close friend of Heinsohn, Smart couldn’t have felt more humbled and honored.

Inaugural Tommy Award Winner Smart_33
Marcus Smart receives the inaugural Tommy Heinsohn Award.
Brian Babineau/NBAE

“Tommy has meant a lot to this city, to this organization,” Smart said after receiving the award prior to Sunday’s 130-124 loss to the Heat. “And with all my years being here, listening to, “The Tommy Award goes to… The Tommy Award goes to…” and to actually have this Tommy Award and this plaque, it means a lot.”

Throughout the years, Smart and his teammates and the Celtics who came before them cherished any sort of recognition or stamp of approval with Heinsohn’s name on it. The ultimate endorsement was to receive a “Tommy Point” – essentially a hustle point – which he would verbally present (with tremendous enthusiasm) throughout his broadcasts with play-by-play partner Mike Gorman.

“I used to go back and watch the games at home just to see how many Tommy Points I was getting throughout the course of the game,” former Celtics center Kendrick Perkins recalled Sunday afternoon during the NBC Sports Boston pregame show. “It makes you want to play harder. It makes you dive on the floor and do the little things. It makes you lay it all out on the line and leave it all out on the floor. That’s how I used to go about it when I was playing with the Celtics and I just always wanted to rack up those Tommy Points.”

Along with Tommy Points, there were also Tommy pointers. Long after his coaching days were over, Heinsohn would still pull players over to the side and give them advice, and those players appreciated every bit of wisdom the Hall-of-Famer had to share.

“He would pull me over and, “Mahcus, let me talk to you,” Smart recalled, imitating Heinsohn’s recognizable, raspy Boston accent. “And we’d talk about how the game is going, how I’m doing, how he’s doing, just making sure to go out there and always have fun and don’t really worry about my shot. 'Don’t’ think about it, just shoot the ball.' Definitely having someone of Tommy’s credentials be able to talk to you and take the time out of his day to sit there and try to help you … It just means a lot.”

It has also meant a lot to Smart and his teammates to have the opportunity to wear Heinsohn’s name on their jersey this season alongside that of the late K.C. Jones who passed away in December. Their names are inscribed on a black rectangular patch on the left shoulder of Boston's uniforms, serving as a reminder of the marks that they both left upon the organization.

“He’s the true definition of being a Celtic, and I think that goes without being said,” Smart said of Heinsohn. “And to be able to wear that patch and to honor him is an honor in itself, and I’m grateful to be able to have that opportunity to honor him.”

Inaugural Tommy Award Winner Miektommy
Broadcast partners Tommy Heinsohn and Mike Gorman.
Nathaniel S. Butler/NBAE

No person was more grateful to honor Heinsohn Sunday afternoon than his longtime broadcast colleague, Mike Gorman. The pair spent a remarkable 39 years together in the booth, although Gorman’s appreciation for Heinsohn dates well beyond their partnership.

Gorman wrote in November about his perspective as a 10-year-old fan following Boston’s first championship run in 1957, and how Heinsohn’s 37-point, 23-rebound Game 7 Finals effort as a rookie was his introduction to the concept of Celtics Pride.

“Tom Heinsohn lit the fire that would become Celtics Pride, and it still burns bright 60 odd years later,” Gorman wrote.

Heinsohn’s legacy will also continue to burn bright, as the Celtics will honor him every year and every day for as long as they put on his beloved green and white uniform.

Bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Inaugural Tommy Award Winner Empty Re: Inaugural Tommy Award Winner

Post by RosalieTCeltics Mon May 10, 2021 1:10 am

Mike had a pretty tough time today getting thru the festivities honoring his long time partner and friend. It was a friendship of respect, loyalty, admiration and just plain joy of having each other’s back for all those years. Growing up a Celtic fan, I was just a young teenager when Tommy came into the league. But it did not take long to learn to love his game. He was so important to the team in those winning years. Television was just a baby when Tommy first started, we all grew up listening to Johnny Most, then Glen Ordway. Mike came along and soon after so did Tommy.

Giving the first award to Marcus Smart was a good thing. He was admired by Tommy because he played the way Tommy grew up playing. I was happy to see them recognize him as the first recipient of this award.

It was an emotional day for long time Celtic fans who watched Tommy as a player, then a coach and finally a color man with Mike. No one will ever be as good as those two together, true Celtics for sure
RosalieTCeltics
RosalieTCeltics

Back to top Go down

Post by gyso Mon May 10, 2021 10:28 am

Sunshine on a cloudy day.

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Mon May 10, 2021 10:59 am

gyso wrote:Sunshine on a cloudy day.

gyso,

When it's cold outside, I've got the month of May.

Bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Mon May 10, 2021 11:13 am

“And we’d talk about how the game is going, how I’m doing, how he’s doing, just making sure to go out there and always have fun and don’t really worry about my shot. 'Don’t’ think about it, just shoot the ball.'

We all know that Brad's philosophy is "let's create a good shot and, if you have one, you take that shot".  I've said that if I was Brad and I saw a player with an open shot that wasn't obviously out of his range (e.g. Thompson at the 3pt line) and they didn't take the shot I'd sit their butt down.  Well, here's 10X Champion (2X as a head coach) and COY Tommy Gun Heinsohn telling mediocre shooter Marcus Smart to shoot and don't even think about it, just let'er fly.

Would I prefer someone other than Marcus Smart taking those shots?  Yeah, other than when it's crunch time and then all of a sudden he becomes a deadeye.  I'm a pretty smart guy, and I know a bit about hooping, but I'm not going to argue with Tommy about basketball or shooting, not alive and not dead.  I know when I'm out of my league.

Bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by NYCelt Mon May 10, 2021 1:45 pm

Best possible choice for the first time award.
NYCelt
NYCelt

Back to top Go down

Post by Ktron Mon May 10, 2021 9:04 pm

I loved Tommy on the CBS national games back in the 80’s. I admired, wait for it.... how he could be so objective during those Boston Vs. Lose Angeles finals. I was living in Texas at the time and folks would say Tommy was bias but I didn’t hear it (maybe it was me). I thought he was a little too objective as my blood was as green as it could get. During Basketball season Everyday at the radio station I worked at was a battle because everyone hated the Celtics but I loved it because we were always winning and Tommy was on the #1 CBS broadcast team. Yup, they hated that too.
I didn’t really get a chance to see and hear Mike and Tommy until 2001 when cable offered the Boston then Comcast channel. My first and only impression was, why they didn’t have Mike with Tommy on CBS instead of Dick Stockton. Stockton was good (and worked in beantown for awhile too) but in my opinion Mike was much better. Mike and Tommy together was the broadcast Gold..err no PLATINUM standard. Ive heard them all and Mike and Tommy are by far THE BEST that ever done it. Rest well Tommy Gun

Ktron

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down