Kevin Garnett says only regret is not joining Celtics sooner: 'I should have came to Boston a little earlier'

+2
cowens/oldschool
bobheckler
6 posters

Go down

Kevin Garnett says only regret is not joining Celtics sooner: 'I should have came to Boston a little earlier' Empty Kevin Garnett says only regret is not joining Celtics sooner: 'I should have came to Boston a little earlier'

Post by bobheckler Fri May 14, 2021 11:47 pm

https://www.cbssports.com/nba/news/kevin-garnett-says-only-regret-is-not-joining-celtics-sooner-i-should-have-came-to-boston-a-little-earlier/

Kevin Garnett says only regret is not joining Celtics sooner: 'I should have came to Boston a little earlier'

Garnett is set to be inducted into Hall of Fame on Saturday
           Jasmyn Wimbish

By Jasmyn Wimbish

4 hrs ago

Kevin Garnett says only regret is not joining Celtics sooner: 'I should have came to Boston a little earlier' Kevin-garnett
Getty Images

On the eve of being inducted into the Naismith Memorial Basketball Hall of Fame, NBA champion Kevin Garnett reflected upon his illustrious career during a press conference where he touched on everything from his relationship with late Lakers legend Kobe Bryant, to his appreciation of the Minnesota Timberwolves for taking a chance on him and drafting him with the No. 5 overall pick in the 1995 NBA Draft.

While talking about his time with the Boston Celtics, the team he won his only championship with in 2008, he said that he wished he would've joined the team earlier.

"You come into the NBA wanting to win, and losing is part of it. But that doesn't mean you have to accept it. Getting with a storied franchise like Boston, gave me light, gave me breath, gave me purpose. And the players that you're playing with actually make the experience monumental, made it magical. The city is -- the city was waiting for something big or for something different to happen versus where it was, and when we went we just never looked back. The fanbase in Boston was over the top. People following you home, people standing outside your gate when you get home, people wanting to pump your gas. The fan level in Boston was just another level, but I learned to embrace it. My only regret in any of this is that I should have came to Boston a little earlier, other than that it was magical."

This isn't the first time Garnett said he wished he joined the Celtics earlier, though. Just last year, the 15-time All-Star said he would've changed the situation earlier after all the years of minimal success in Minnesota.

"If I could actually go back and change anything, I would've left Minnesota a little earlier, knowing that the management wasn't as committed as I was. Or wasn't committed at all," Garnett said via The Athletic. "I probably would've went to Boston or changed the situation earlier. I would've been a little younger and that means less wear and tear on the body. Teaming up with Paul (Pierce), I should've done that earlier. Who knows — I'm probably sitting here with another ring or two. But, yeah."

It is true that there were many spectacular years Garnett spent in Minnesota that were essentially wasted on a Timberwolves team that could never build a contender around their dominant big man. The Timberwolves were bounced from the first round of the playoffs seven straight years during Garnett's time with the team. The year that he won league MVP during the 2003-04 season, Minnesota made it all the way to the Western Conference finals and lost in six games to the Bryant-Shaquille O'Neal Lakers.

That was the peak of the Timberwolves' success, as the following three seasons after that -- which ended up being Garnett's final three years with the franchise -- they failed to make the playoffs altogether. Following the end of the 2006-07 season, Garnett was traded to the Celtics in a blockbuster deal, completing Boston's plan to pair franchise centerpiece Paul Pierce with two other stars in the league. Boston traded for Ray Allen on draft night in 2007, which got the ball rolling to create a Big Three on the Celtics, and then made the final move to get Garnett to complete their plan.

Boston went on to win the championship in the first year of the Pierce-Garnett-Allen era, and would continue to be championship contenders for the next several years. However, as Garnett previously said, he joined Boston when he was 30 years old, and while he wasn't necessarily past his prime just yet, he entered the league as a 19-year-old who had now racked up plenty of mileage on his body. Perhaps if he was traded earlier in his prime, like after the year he won MVP and realized he couldn't win a championship with Minnesota, he very well could have multiple titles to his name.

Whatever the path would've been, it would've ended up in the same place with Garnett being inducted into the Hall of Fame, that's just how dominant he was.

Bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Kevin Garnett says only regret is not joining Celtics sooner: 'I should have came to Boston a little earlier' Empty Re: Kevin Garnett says only regret is not joining Celtics sooner: 'I should have came to Boston a little earlier'

Post by cowens/oldschool Sat May 15, 2021 11:46 am

Best PF of his era and yes better than Tim Duncan, he led the league in rebounding 4 times, Duncan never did it once. Better defender than Timmy too, and might be the best PF defender of all time.

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Kevin Garnett says only regret is not joining Celtics sooner: 'I should have came to Boston a little earlier' Empty Re: Kevin Garnett says only regret is not joining Celtics sooner: 'I should have came to Boston a little earlier'

Post by Ktron Sat May 15, 2021 11:58 am

Do they make these kind anymore and if so let’s go n’ git one!

THE COMPETITOR

Zach LaVine, Chicago Bulls, former Timberwolves teammate: Rookie year after he got traded to us (in 2015). He gets to the gym early. As a rookie you get to the gym real early like at 3 or 3:30 for the game. In the locker room there used to be a couch and TV next to the kitchen, so we walk in and KG’s there. It looks like he’s been there. He’s watching the movie “Gladiator.” It’s the final scene where Russell Crowe is fighting for his life. He sees me and Andrew (Wiggins) and he’s like, ‘Come here, come here.’

So we walk over there. He’s real into the movie. “You see this shoot right here, this is what this shoot’s about. You die for what you believe in. You die for your boys. This is that mentality we need to have going into the game. It’s about war. It’s about going down with your boys. I love this shoot. This shoot gives me goosebumps.”

I look, and he actually has goosebumps. I’m a big KG guy and I’m like “Yeah, I’m with you man. This is how we gotta play.” He’s like “right, Zach. You feel me Wiggs?”

Andrew Wiggins says “I don’t know even know what ‘Gladiator’ is, I’ve never heard of this movie.” The look on his face was like perplexed. Not anger, but just like get out of my face. So he just looks at us and says, “Y’all go get ready for the game, man.”

Ktron

Back to top Go down

Post by RosalieTCeltics Sat May 15, 2021 1:29 pm

I said it somewhere else. KG kept a smile on our faces from the time he came here. He is, was, and always will be a true Celtic. I loved watching him, his passion was infectious. I remember watching them win the Eastern Conference Finals that first year and, in true fashion, cried my eyes out!!!! The rest was history I am so glad that Danny pulled that trigger, even though, at the time I hated losing Big Al!!!! My son told me that by the first month of the season I would forget who Big Al was, that I would fall in love with KG and the way he played the game. He had followed him for years.

Somewhere down the road, I truly believe, I will have this feeling again about this Celtics team with some new blood brought in in the off season. I never give up!!!! The same girl who cried her eyes out when Russell came off the plane from LA after winning a title and announcing his retirement. Gone is a heartbeat. Took a while, but, that, too passed on, Keep the faith, this will be a forgotten year at some point. #18 will be a bright light for all of us to shoot for.

RosalieTCeltics
RosalieTCeltics

Back to top Go down

Post by Vankisa Sat May 15, 2021 3:37 pm

I do not how, but Danny and Wyc need to get KG involved in the Celtics organization somehow. Pretty much all of what KG is, is exactly everything that has been missing from this team this year.

Vankisa

Back to top Go down

Post by RosalieTCeltics Sat May 15, 2021 3:41 pm

Unless they offer him a piece of the team you will not see him here as a coach. It is just not his personality. Sitting on the bench would drive him nuts and they would have to block all voices because he would fe "F" bombing all night. It is just his personality
RosalieTCeltics
RosalieTCeltics

Back to top Go down

Post by dbrown4 Sun May 16, 2021 5:55 pm

Yeah, KG would definitely make the shortlist of who could help us.

Paul Pierce is kinda sitting on the sidelines as well. That would be another great option. He and KG went through similar crappy treks separately and then knocked it out of the park together.

Anyone like Gary Payton? Kendrick Perkins? Kevin McHale? Somebody's gotta step up or just ask for the job. DA will create it. But I'm probably not funding LP next season until some serious changes happen over the summer. Not looking for a tweak here or there.

db
dbrown4
dbrown4

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down