Boston Celtics’ rookie Daniel Theis declares Kevin Garnett his idol

Go down

Boston Celtics’ rookie Daniel Theis declares Kevin Garnett his idol Empty Boston Celtics’ rookie Daniel Theis declares Kevin Garnett his idol

Post by bobheckler Tue Mar 20, 2018 2:23 pm

https://celticswire.usatoday.com/2018/03/20/boston-celtics-rookie-daniel-theis-declares-kevin-garnett-his-idol/

Boston Celtics’ rookie Daniel Theis declares Kevin Garnett his idol

By: Greg Cassoli | 4 hours ago

Boston big man Daniel Theis views former Celtics’ star Kevin Garnett as someone to be revered.
Throughout the year, Boston Celtics’ rookie Daniel Theis has published a series of written, online posts known as his “Monsterblog.”

The most recent edition touched on his thoughts on Paul Pierce’s jersey retirement, including a nod to a particular Celtics’ legend that Theis views as his idol.

One of the biggest highlights in the last couple of weeks was the Paul Pierce jersey retirement ceremony. Unfortunately, we weren’t able to win against the Cavaliers on that day, but it was really incredible to experience such an event in person. Paul achieved so much for the Celtics on and off the court. He was drafted by Boston in the first round, won the title in 2008 and also became Finals MVP. To see such a special event and celebration of a player really reminds you why you go out and work hard each and every day. That is the ultimate goal!

My idol Kevin Garnett was at the event, too, but I only saw him for a short amount of time. Maybe I’ll get the possibility to work out a bit with him one day. That would definitely be a dream of mine.

Theis will have to wait a while before that dream comes true. Boston’s German big man is out for the remainder of the season, after having surgery to repair a torn meniscus in his left knee.

Garnett would be a perfect role model for Theis when he does gets back on the court. He used his mobility, length and intelligence to transform Boston into one of the most formidable defensive units in recent memory.

He was no a slouch on offense either. Garnett was almost automatic from the midrange, functioned as a dangerous roll man and could beat slower defenders off the bounce.

Theis is similarly versatile on both ends of the court, though certainly in a much more modest way. Garnett is a future Hall of Famer, a different caliber of athlete who possessed an obscene amount of craft. Theis doesn’t have the tools to approximate his impact.

But that doesn’t mean he shouldn’t try to mold his game after Garnett. Studying the careers of successful players is always worthwhile. In Garnett, Theis has a perfect example to aspire to play like.

bob
MY NOTE: He could do a lot worse than to pick KG for a role model. It'd probably be funny hearing him drop F-bombs non-stop with a German accent too.

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down