Romeo Langford, Grant Williams provide a bench boost in Game 3 win over Nets

Go down

Romeo Langford, Grant Williams provide a bench boost in Game 3 win over Nets Empty Romeo Langford, Grant Williams provide a bench boost in Game 3 win over Nets

Post by bobheckler Sat May 29, 2021 6:31 pm

https://www.masslive.com/celtics/2021/05/boston-celtics-notebook-romeo-langford-grant-williams-provide-a-bench-boost-in-game-3-win-over-nets.html

Boston Celtics Notebook: Romeo Langford, Grant Williams provide a bench boost in Game 3 win over Nets

Today 6:00 AM

By Brian Robb | brobb@masslive.com

The Celtics supporting cast was in full force during Game 3 around Jayson Tatum’s standout performance, giving the hosts a major boost on both ends of the floor to overcome a 15-point deficit against the Brooklyn Nets and hold on for a victory.

Tristan Thompson (19 points, 13 rebounds) and Marcus Smart (23 points, 6 assists) played two of their best games of the season while Evan Fournier came on strong on the perimeter by knocking down four 3s.

The Celtics also did a far better job defensively against Brooklyn’s supporting cast in the win however and that improvement could be attributed in part to a couple of surprise contributors: Romeo Langford and Grant Williams. Both members of the 2019 Celtics draft class barely got off the bench in Game 1 and played mostly garbage time minutes during the Game 2 rout by Brooklyn.

In Game 3, Langford was one of the first Celtics off the bench, playing heavy minutes over Jabari Parker while showcasing some of the defensive potential that made him the No. 14 overall pick. He finished with six points and six rebounds in 27 minutes but was a team-best +21 in the victory while helping to limit Brooklyn’s supporting cast shooters to off nights.

“It was huge,” Marcus Smart said. “Those guys hurt us in Game 2 especially. Joe went off, I think, hit seven 3s in game two and they fed off that. So for us to be able to come down and just hold them steady and not let them hurt us as well as those guys going off, it was big for us. And for our guys to come in and do exactly what those guys did to us in Game 2, and that’s contributing, both ends of the floor, is exactly what we need and we got to continue that.”

Grant Williams was called into action in the second quarter after Rob Williams went down with an ankle injury but he also made the most of his 11 minutes (plus-15) with four points, three rebounds and a block, giving Boston’s young bench a clear edge on the night over Brooklyn’s mostly veteran reserves.

Celtics looking forward to packed house in Game 4 on Sunday night

While the TD Garden crowd made themselves heard in Game 3 despite a COVID-19 limited capacity to 5,000, it will be a whole different ballgame for Game 4 on Sunday night. The state will lift capacity restrictions on Saturday, opening the door for the team to have over 17,000 fans in the building. That will be the biggest crowd the Celtics have played in front of this season.

“It’s getting closer (to normal),” Tristan Thompson said. “Thank God the world is opening up bit by bit. People are being more safe and doing their due diligence, whether it’s getting vaccinated or wearing their masks or keeping their hands clean. It’s good to see that the world is starting to open up. I’m just excited for Sunday. We’re going to need the fans rocking. We need to blow this m————— roof off, that’s what we need.

“We need this energy. We need to have the rock so loud that if the coach calls a timeout, the rest don’t even hear. We need that kind of intensity. Almost like a Game 7. I remember playing here Game 7 in 20...18? When you guys had all the young fellas, Scary Terry, JT as a rookie. I remember how loud that crowd was. We need that times two. So, let’s get it rocking. Let’s f—— dance and have a good time.”

Jayson Tatum has scored 50 or more points four times in the last two months at TD Garden so adding more fans to that mix is a welcome development for the All-Star.

“I can’t wait. It’s been a while since playing in front of a packed house, especially in the playoffs in the Garden. I’m excited for the new guys, the young guys who haven’t experienced that yet. It’s just going to be fun.” Tatum said. “It’s going to be that much better come Sunday. In front of your home crowd, the family. I’ve played a lot of games in this arena. It’s a great place to play. I’d like to say I’m most comfortable here.

Robert Williams in walking boot after suffering sprained ankle

The Celtics played well when Robert Williams was on the floor in the first half, but the reserve center had his night end after six minutes of action after suffering a sprained left ankle. The Celtics initially said he was questionable to return to the game but he did not appear again in the second half before being ruled out.

Grant Williams saw a boost in his minutes due to his absence while Tristan Thompson played a series-high 30 minutes with Williams out.

“Robert’s ankle is sore, his toe is sore,” Brad Stevens said after he win. “He was struggling. He’s in a boot right now. He’s down. Hopefully he’ll ice that stuff and see if he can give it a go on Sunday.”

Bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down