Robert Williams: G-League is ‘humbling’ but believes Romeo Langford is taking advantage of opportunity

4 posters

Go down

Robert Williams: G-League is ‘humbling’ but believes Romeo Langford is taking advantage of opportunity Empty Robert Williams: G-League is ‘humbling’ but believes Romeo Langford is taking advantage of opportunity

Post by bobheckler Tue Nov 19, 2019 1:59 pm

https://www.masslive.com/celtics/2019/11/boston-celtics-robert-williams-g-league-is-humbling-but-believes-romeo-langford-is-taking-advantage-of-opportunity.html

Boston Celtics’ Robert Williams: G-League is ‘humbling’ but believes Romeo Langford is taking advantage of opportunity

Updated 1:07 PM;Today 1:06 PM

Robert Williams: G-League is ‘humbling’ but believes Romeo Langford is taking advantage of opportunity OCT7U6HDJFATBO6C4GSJ6PJUEI
Boston Celtics center Robert Williams. (Joshua Gunter, cleveland.com)

By Tom Westerholm | twesterh@masslive.com

PHOENIX -- Ask Boston Celtics center Robert Williams about his time in the G-League last year with the Maine Red Claws, and he calls the experience “humbling.”

Not humbling because Portland was unpleasant -- Williams is used to small towns, and while he didn’t like the cold, he hung out with teammates and frequented the mall -- but because it’s a reminder of how special being in the NBA can be, with all of the trappings that come with the lifestyle at the highest level of basketball.

“(The G-League) is a way to get a bunch of reps and work on your craft and perfect your craft,” Williams said prior to Monday’s game against the Phoenix Suns. “You’ve really got to take advantage of that time while you’re down there. ... Just realizing when we get up here, recognizing what the G-League is, and knowing that it is an honor and it is a gift to be on an NBA roster.”

The Celtics have had some success bouncing players between the G-League and the NBA. Terry Rozier spent extended time in Maine his rookie season and contributed to the 2017-18 run. Marcus Smart rehabbed with the Red Claws after one injury. Williams kept his head down and worked during his time with the Red Claws, and Celtics decision-makers came away quietly encouraged by his progress and professionalism after a rocky start.

Now, Boston is trying the tact again with Romeo Langford -- the team’s 14th overall pick, who has suffered through a few injury-plagued months. On Friday, at the Red Claws’ home opener, Langford sprained his ankle -- the third minor-but-limiting injury he has suffered in his young NBA career.

When Langford returns, however, Williams believes there is a lot of value in the reps the rookie guard will receive.

“It’s very important just because you won’t be able to do something unless you try it,” Williams said. “That’s why they send people to the G-League, to actually try those things, get repetition so when you do get on a bigger stage, you’re prepared for it.

“(It’s) a major positive. I just leaned into it, humbling situation, just building my game and helping me be ready to be up here.”

After playing just 32 games and 283 minutes last season, Williams is a regular member of the Celtics’ rotation. The Celtics increasingly rely on his contributions (they are excellent offensively and considerably less excellent defensively when he’s on the floor), and as he improves, he has a real chance at a starting role in the near future.

Williams believes Langford could follow a similar trajectory. He plays Fortnight with Langford and a few other teammates (“We get away from each other but still talk to each other”) and often talks to the rookie about where to go from here.

“I feel like he’s taking advantage of the opportunity,” Williams said. “I just make sure to tell him to take advantage of it, because you never know when you’re going to be called up.”

bob
MY NOTE:  Just think "Avery Bradley" and Portland won't seem so bad.  And with all the great shots The Time Lord has erased from history why did they have to use a file photo of him fouling someone?

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Robert Williams: G-League is ‘humbling’ but believes Romeo Langford is taking advantage of opportunity Empty Re: Robert Williams: G-League is ‘humbling’ but believes Romeo Langford is taking advantage of opportunity

Post by NYCelt Tue Nov 19, 2019 2:58 pm

Make no mistake about it; no player wants to be in the G-League. It's a monumental drop from the competitive nature or national stature of the NBA or NCAA.

But if it provides a player with a way to build their game to a level where they can become an NBA player, it's time well spent.
NYCelt
NYCelt

Back to top Go down

Robert Williams: G-League is ‘humbling’ but believes Romeo Langford is taking advantage of opportunity Empty Re: Robert Williams: G-League is ‘humbling’ but believes Romeo Langford is taking advantage of opportunity

Post by dbrown4 Tue Nov 19, 2019 4:43 pm

Just curious. What percentage of G-Leaguers make it to the NBA for fruitful careers?

db
dbrown4
dbrown4

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Tue Nov 19, 2019 5:33 pm

Williams is showing a level of maturity that we did not see last year. He gets it.

I sure hope Langford can get back to the Celtics soon.
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by NYCelt Wed Nov 20, 2019 10:39 am

dbrown4 wrote:Just curious.  What percentage of G-Leaguers make it to the NBA for fruitful careers?  

db

I can't answer that one, and have to admit to having no interest in even trying to find the number. Call me overloaded on stats.

If I had to guess, however, I think that number is less than 1%. Way, way less than 1%.

I always look at it this way; if you're going to the G-League, it's time to look for a new career. Go back and finish that degree.
NYCelt
NYCelt

Back to top Go down

Post by dbrown4 Wed Nov 20, 2019 11:01 am

Wow! That's not too good even for a guess! But yeah. You're right. It's def a back burner, time to get your resume polished up feel to it.

Except for the Tacko flurry, it's hard to even find a G-League game on TV anywhere. No demand really.

db
dbrown4
dbrown4

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Wed Nov 20, 2019 11:44 am

G league is the official developmental minor league for the NBA.

I have not found the number of players that were not drafted into the NBA but were able to make it to the NBA. Many drafted NBA players are sent to the G league for further development. Langford falls into that category like so many former Celtics draft picks.
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down