bobheckler
7 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

The NBA Draft Combine Empty The NBA Draft Combine

Post by bobheckler Wed Jun 02, 2021 11:35 am

Chris Grenham @chrisgrenham
about 1 hour ago
Quick note: Thanks so much to everyone who followed along throughout the Celtics season. It is much appreciated. Have no fear, though, the NBA Draft Combine is only three weeks away! My draft content will get going next week and run right up until the end of July.

Bob
MY NOTE:  The Combine, which couldn't be held last year because of COVID, will run from 6/21 - 6/27.  The draft itself will be held 7/29.  The NBA is trying like Hell to get the league's schedule back to normal.  This is only about 5 weeks after the normal draft date.

This is the place to start talking about prospective rookies (not that we need more, but...).  Might as well keep this thread going certainly through 6/27. We know changes are coming, some already have. What we don't know is what changes are in the future. The Draft Combine is where GMs and coaches start salivating and that's opportunity knocking, especially for those who have draft picks they don't want to use.

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

The NBA Draft Combine Empty Re: The NBA Draft Combine

Post by NYCelt Thu Jun 03, 2021 10:01 pm

Pretty bleak looking draft for Celtic needs. The #1 Celtic need is still bigs in my opinion, and apparently the majority of fans and analysts lean that way too. Not that any of that means a thing.

There isn't going to be much value in trading picks, especially since we're expected at what, 16 and 45?

I think you keep the picks because between draft position and the thin talent, they have little value. No really promising bigs in the draft, we're loaded on the wing, so you go PG at 16 and PG at 45. PG may be the strongest position in the upcoming draft and we will need one soon, so we may as well go fishing for one.

16. Jared Butler - PG - Jr - Baylor
45. Miles McBride - PG - So - West Virginia

If you wanted to shoot for a big at 45...

45. Luca Garza - C - Sr - Iowa
Unlike other centers in this year's draft he doesn't look like he hasn't eaten in weeks and he has shown he could possibly contribute bench strength at the pro level. Scores in bunches down low.

If you were desperate to draft bigs because there was no expectation of a free agent, trade candidate, or health from RWIII, you could also try a reach at 16...

16. Day'Ron Sharpe - C - Fr - North Carolina
Another among the few centers in the draft with a little bulk to him. Rebound machine.
NYCelt
NYCelt

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Sun Jun 06, 2021 1:48 pm

about 3 hours ago
The Celtics are the lone NBA team not expected to attend the Pangos All-American Camp, which begins today. Boston is hosting a pre-draft workout early this week, and that combined with last week’s front office changes made the trip to Las Vegas less feasible, per sources.

Bob
MY NOTE: So the Celtics are having player workouts "early" this coming week. Some names will be dropped, which should give us some insight into who/what Brad's looking for.

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Sun Jun 06, 2021 3:01 pm

NYCelt wrote:Pretty bleak looking draft for Celtic needs. The #1 Celtic need is still bigs in my opinion, and apparently the majority of fans and analysts lean that way too. Not that any of that means a thing.

There isn't going to be much value in trading picks, especially since we're expected at what, 16 and 45?

I think you keep the picks because between draft position and the thin talent, they have little value. No really promising bigs in the draft, we're loaded on the wing, so you go PG at 16 and PG at 45. PG may be the strongest position in the upcoming draft and we will need one soon, so we may as well go fishing for one.

Unlike other centers in this year's draft he doesn't look like he hasn't eaten in weeks and he has shown he could possibly contribute bench strength at the pro level. Scores in bunches down low.

If you were desperate to draft bigs because there was no expectation of a free agent, trade candidate, or health from RWIII, you could also try a reach at 16...

Another among the few centers in the draft with a little bulk to him. Rebound machine.

NY Celt what do you think of Charles Bassey?

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Sun Jun 06, 2021 3:09 pm

Garza must be a terrible defender and rebounder, how can anyone score like him and not even be listed in 2 rounds on nbadraft.net?

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by NYCelt Mon Jun 07, 2021 12:03 pm

cowens/oldschool wrote:
NYCelt wrote:Pretty bleak looking draft for Celtic needs. The #1 Celtic need is still bigs in my opinion, and apparently the majority of fans and analysts lean that way too. Not that any of that means a thing.

I see him being compared to Capela and Biyombo which at least sounds good.

What little I've seen of him appears raw. May have potential as a defense oriented big. My only hesitation would be how long would it take to get him up to speed and develop him into a rotation player? He's certainly got the size.
NYCelt
NYCelt

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Mon Jun 07, 2021 12:29 pm

The Celtics could attempt to trade up in the draft a few spots or they could use their picks as part of a trade.

dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Tue Jun 08, 2021 12:09 am

NYCelt wrote:
cowens/oldschool wrote:

I see him being compared to Capela and Biyombo which at least sounds good.

What little I've seen of him appears raw. May have potential as a defense oriented big. My only hesitation would be how long would it take to get him up to speed and develop him into a rotation player? He's certainly got the size.

6’11” with 7’3” reach, 12.5 rebounds and 3 blocks a game, looks good on highlights, seems much closer to being ready to further develop than Day’ron Sharpe. We need a young durable big along the lines of Jarret Allen/Gafford to give us more depth with RWill or ready to go without RWill.

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Tue Jun 08, 2021 11:04 am

about 13 minutes ago
NAIA All-American EJ Onu is among the prospects working out for the Celtics this week, according to a source. At 6’11” with a 7’6” wingspan, Onu led Shawnee State to a National Championship this past season. His athleticism will intrigue NBA front offices.

Bob
MY NOTE:  He is undrafted per nbadraft.net, not drafted in the 1st round by mynbadraft.com (they haven't done their 2nd round mock draft yet), not drafted in the 1st round by CBS Sports, not drafted in the 1st round by Kevin O'Connor on The Ringer.  

We pick #16.  It would be a reach to draft this kid with #16, I think.  We also have our own 2nd round pick which, I guess, would be around #46?  Right?  If we're 16 from the top of the 1st round we should be 16th from the top of the 2nd?  Brad might have to move up in the 2nd to take this kid or, maybe, move down from #16.

This is uncharted territory, folks.  We have no idea what Brad is like on draft day when it's all up to him.  This is both fun and frightening.  I'll try to steady myself by reminding myself that none of us had any real idea what Danny was going to do, so this is same stuff, different guy.

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Thu Jun 10, 2021 11:23 am

about 1 hour ago
Houston guard DeJon Jarreau tells me he is among the prospects working out for the Celtics today. Jarreau began his college career at UMass and worked out for the Warriors earlier this week.

Bob
MY NOTE:  23 years old, 6'4", 185#, 6'7" wingspan.  Point Guard.

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Thu Jun 10, 2021 5:09 pm

Chris Grenham
about 2 hours ago
Houston’s Quentin Grimes participated in the Celtics pre-draft workout today, per source. Grimes played his freshman year at Kansas before heading to Houston.

Bob
MY NOTE:  Per the 2019 Combine, 6'3" without shoes, 205#, 6'7 3/4" wingspan, 8 1/4" hand length (Smart's is 8 3/4"), standing vertical 27 1/2", max vertical 36", 3/4 court sprint was 3.54 seconds (top 1%).  17.8ppg, 5.7rpg, 2.0 apg, 40.3% 3pt fg%, 78.8% ft%.

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Sat Jun 12, 2021 11:43 am

about 2 hours ago
Ohio State guard Duane Washington Jr. participated in the Celtics’ pre-draft workout on Thursday, per source. He has received a G League Elite Camp invite, which begins next weekend in Chicago prior to the NBA Draft Combine.

Bob
MY NOTE: 21 years old, 6'3", 210#, 16.4ppg, 2.9apg, 37.4% from 3.

Projection: Undrafted.

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Sun Jun 13, 2021 5:50 pm

https://us.yahoo.com/sports/report-wichita-state-guard-tyson-203147015.html

Report: Wichita State guard Tyson Etienne to be hosted by Celtics for pre-draft workout

Justin Quinn
Sun, June 13, 2021, 1:31 PM

It seems the Boston Celtics have a busy week of pre-draft workouts slated for 2021 NBA draft prospects, with the Wichita Eagle’s Taylor Eldridge reporting that Wichita State point guard Tyson Etienne will work out with the Celtics next week.

One of a number of fringe prospects seen as potential 2021 draftees with pre-draft plans to meet with Boston, Etienne is a 6-foot-2 floor general who is consistently ranked in the top-100 prospects for this coming draft, but outside the top-60 as well. A little small to play the point at the next level, the New York native put up 16.3 points, 3.4 rebounds, 2.5 assists, and just under a steal per game with the Shockers in his sophomore season playing a competitive American Athletic Conference schedule.

As with many of the Celtics’ recently reported pre-draft workouts, it seems likely Etienne is being brought in for either the second-round pick belonging to Boston at No. 45, or perhaps a camp deal.

Taylor Eldridge
@tayloreldridge
Update on Wichita State’s @TheTyEtienne1 progress in NBA Draft workouts:

Etienne has already worked out for the Cavs and interviewed with the Nets. He’s working out this week with the Knicks and Celtics and plans to with Suns and Raptors in July.

Pro day in Chicago on June 26.

The NBA Draft Combine E3sNx2eXIAkML2t?format=jpg&name=900x900

Bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Mon Jun 14, 2021 10:50 am

I do hope that Brad will be the big voice in the front office in selecting players.

Have been racking my brain trying to recall how many Quality big men Danny drafted in 18 years.

I came up with 3. Jefferson, Perkins and RWIII

Please tell me I am missing someone.
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Mon Jun 14, 2021 11:25 am

about 28 minutes ago
The Celtics will host another pre-draft workout today, per source. A few of today’s participants: EJ Liddell, Ohio State Troy Baxter Jr., Morgan State MJ Walker, Florida State

Bob
MY NOTE:  EJ Liddell, 6'7", 240#.  Another Grant Williams undersized 4.  No thanks.  Troy Baxter Jr, 6'8", 200#.  Unless he has a wingspan like an albatross and is dope from 3, nope.  MJ Walker, 6'5", 6'8" wingspan, 23 years old.  
Career 3-Point Field Goals Attempted — 6th– 479
Career 3-Point Field Goals Made — 9th — 173
Career Free Throw Percentage — 15th — .785
Career 3-point Field Goal Percentage — T23rd — .391
Career Games Started — T24th — 82
Career Games Played — T25th — 120

We have Nesmith.  Unless Nesmith is gone in a trade it seems to me this guy is another Nesmith (or even "Nesmith-lite").

I know that they're looking at the bubble players first, the ones who might not even be invited to the Combine, but c'mon!  Focus, Brad! These players will not make you successful.

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by gyso Mon Jun 14, 2021 1:28 pm

bobheckler wrote:Chris Grenham @chrisgrenham
about 28 minutes ago
The Celtics will host another pre-draft workout today, per source. A few of today’s participants: EJ Liddell, Ohio State Troy Baxter Jr., Morgan State MJ Walker, Florida State

Bob
MY NOTE:  EJ Liddell, 6'7", 240#.  Another Grant Williams undersized 4.  No thanks.  Troy Baxter Jr, 6'8", 200#.  Unless he has a wingspan like an albatross and is dope from 3, nope.  MJ Walker, 6'5", 6'8" wingspan, 23 years old.  
Career 3-Point Field Goals Attempted — 6th– 479
Career 3-Point Field Goals Made — 9th — 173
Career Free Throw Percentage — 15th — .785
Career 3-point Field Goal Percentage — T23rd — .391
Career Games Started — T24th — 82
Career Games Played — T25th — 120

We have Nesmith.  Unless Nesmith is gone in a trade it seems to me this guy is another Nesmith (or even "Nesmith-lite").

I know that they're looking at the bubble players first, the ones who might not even be invited to the Combine, but c'mon!  Focus, Brad!  These players will not make you successful.

Maybe Brad is looking for low hanging fruit to fill in the two 2-way contracts first.  That doesn't affect the big team all that much.

One reason is that Brad feels like it is important to get a coach on board first, before calling in a player who they may draft for the big team.  The season hasn't ended and the coach search has just begun. I imagine that Brad wants an inclusive management team.

Patience is required, yet we want all the answers now!  LOL

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Mon Jun 14, 2021 2:08 pm

about 1 hour ago
Creighton’s Marcus Zegarowski tells me he went through a pre-draft workout with the Celtics last week.

Bob
MY NOTE: 6'2", 180#, hometown is Hamilton, MA. Good 3pt shooter (42.3%). Still, unless Pritchard is on the move, hope you enjoyed your cup of coffee, kid.

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Mon Jun 14, 2021 6:02 pm

Bonh

Thanks for posting the clip on EJ Onu.

He will not last to the 2nd round.  A 7 footer that can make 3 pointers has to be intriguing for Boston.  The knock on him will be the level of competition that he played against but you cannot teach height and length an the fluidity he seems to possess.

We do know that there is a big need on this team for another center.   The Celtics could take him at 16 or maybe trade down a couple of spots.

With all the empty first rounds picks that Danny made, fans should be quite comfortable if he flops
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by worcester Mon Jun 14, 2021 9:37 pm

Brad may be yearning for the center that Danny never got for him.
worcester
worcester

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Tue Jun 15, 2021 10:56 am

3 minutes ago
Wichita State guard Tyson Etienne will go through a pre-draft workout with the Celtics tomorrow, per source. He’ll visit with the Knicks today.

Bob
MY NOTE:  6'2", 200#, 37% fg%, 39% 3pt fg%, 2.4apg.  What's so great about him?  He's undersized even at point guard (or, at the minimum, it isn't a plus for him), he's not a good shooter from anywhere except 3 (his fg% goes down if you take his 3pt fg shooting out), and he only earns 2.4 assists per game in > 33mpg.

No thank you.  If PP is on the move, then fine, we'll be needing someone at that position.  But if Pritchard is going to be with us next year then Tyson Steven (Etienne is French for 'Steven') is not who we want or need.

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Wed Jun 16, 2021 11:14 am

about 1 hour ago
Today’s Celtics pre-draft workout will include the following players, per sources: Derrick Alston Jr., Boise State Julian Champagnie, St. John’s AJ Lawson, South Carolina Tyson Etienne, Wichita State LJ Figueroa, Oregon

Bob
MY NOTE:

Derrick Alston Jr - 6'9", 190#, 7'0" wingspan.  SG/SF. That would a looong SG.
Julian Champagnie - 6'8", 220#, 19 years old.
AJ Lawson - 6'6", 180#, 6'10" wingspan.  20 years old.
Tyson Etienne - covered him in an earlier post.  6'2"
LJ Figueroa - 6'6", 200#, 7' wingspan, 23 years old.  Lawrence, MA kid whose favorite team is the Celtics.  

Seems like a lot of effort being put into the search for a #45 pick and the two-way players.

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Thu Jun 17, 2021 2:20 pm

2 hours ago
The Celtics are hosting a noteworthy group of prospects for today’s pre-draft workout, per sources: Sharife Cooper, Auburn Jordan Hall, Texas A&M Miles McBride, West Virginia Kofi Cockburn, Illinois Nah’Shon Hyland, VCU Balsa Koprivica, Florida State

Bob
MY NOTE:  nbadraft.com isn't offering a mock 2nd round draft, so we don't know if they think they'll be drafted at all.  If no mock draft position is offered it's because they aren't projected to be drafted at all by mynbadraft.com and tankathon.com.

Sharife Cooper - 6'1", 165#.  A floor general, but not a good shooter.  Just as vulnerable as Tremont Waters on defense, but not as good a shooter.  Pass.  #36 on nbadraft.net.  #23 on mynbadraft.com.  #25 on tankathon.com.

Jordan Hall - 6'8", I don't think he's coming out for the draft, he just transferred to Texas A&M.  Just a early peek at him is my guess.

Miles McBride - 6'2", he HAS been invited to the Combine.  So, he's "something".  #22 on nbadraft.net.  #43 on tankathon.com

Kofi Cockburn - 7'0", 285#, 7'6 1/2" wingspan.  17.7ppg, 9.5rpg, 1.3bpg. All in 27mpg.

Nah’Shon Hyland -  6'3", 175#, 6'9"+ wingspan.  19ppg, 37% 3pt fg%.  #19 on nbadraft.net.  #42 on tankathon.com.

Balsa Koprivica - 7'1" without shoes, 240#, 7'4" wingspan.  Not a great rebounder for his size.

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Tue Jun 22, 2021 2:57 pm

THE NBA COMBINE IS CURRENTLY UNDERWAY!!

about 28 minutes ago
Iowa's Joe Wieskamp with an impressive 42-inch max vertical jump early on here at the Combine.

Chris Grenham
about 53 minutes ago
First group at the Combine now on the floor going through a warmup led by @therealZBo. Group 1: Daishen Nix, David Duke, Joe Wieskamp, Isaiah Mobley, Quentin Grimes, Trey Murphy III, JT Thor, Austin Reaves and Aaron Henry.

https://twitter.com/i/status/1407398529337806855

Bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Tue Jun 22, 2021 6:12 pm

about 2 hours ago
Celtics VP of basketball operations Mike Zarren is here at Wintrust Arena taking in the on-court drills for group one of the NBA Draft Combine.

Bob
MY NOTE:

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by worcester Tue Jun 22, 2021 10:18 pm

I just don't know how well David Duke will fare in the NBA. I would expect to see a lot of really hard fouls.
worcester
worcester

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next