cowens/oldschool
NYCelt
bobheckler
7 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

The NBA Draft Combine - Page 2 Empty Re: The NBA Draft Combine

Post by dboss Wed Jun 23, 2021 9:57 am

This is suppose to be a deep draft. Every year it seems some 2nd rounder turns into a quality NBA player. Maybe the Celtics can find value at 45 or for all we know they may trade up to the top of the 2nd round and find their guy.
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by jrleftfoot Wed Jun 23, 2021 10:06 pm

worcester wrote:I just don't know how well David Duke will fare in the NBA. I would expect to see a lot of really hard fouls.
You're starting to remind me of Rodney Dangerfield. (That's a good thing. )
jrleftfoot
jrleftfoot

Back to top Go down

Post by worcester Wed Jun 23, 2021 10:20 pm

Take my wife. Please.
worcester
worcester

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Wed Jun 23, 2021 11:06 pm

worcester wrote:Take my wife. Please.

A Henny for your thoughts.

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by worcester Wed Jun 23, 2021 11:10 pm

I resemble that remark.
worcester
worcester

Back to top Go down

Post by gyso Thu Jun 24, 2021 6:25 am

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Thu Jun 24, 2021 2:54 pm

Chris Grenham @chrisgrenham
about 15 minutes ago
Texas' Kai Jones had an interview with the Celtics this week at the Combine. He has 13 interviews between today and tomorrow.
MY NOTE:  6'11", 7'2" wingspan, 218#, 20 years old.  #12 per nbadraft.net, #16 per mynbadraft.com, #14 per tankathon.  Why are we talking to him after we traded away our first round pick?  Hmmm.  

Chris Grenham
about 22 minutes ago
Florida State's Scottie Barnes says he has interviewed with the Boston Celtics, among plenty of other teams.
MY NOTE:  6'8", 7'2" wingspan, 225#.  #6 in nbadraft.com, #6 in tankathon, #6 in mynbadraft.com.  WTF???

Bob
MY NOTE:  Why are we interviewing players that are projected anywhere between mid-first round to top 6?  Something's bubbling here.  We don't know what, yet, but you don't waste your time talking to players you don't think you have any shot at.  We didn't have a shot at a consensus #6 pick even when we had the #16, not without some serious roster trade value, and now that we don't even have that?

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Sat Jun 26, 2021 10:27 am

https://hardwoodhoudini.com/2021/06/25/boston-celtics-trade-ottery/

Boston Celtics: Cs signaling a trade back into first-round?

by Dallas Malloy2 minutes ago Follow @HoopsEmpire_

Per a report from Michael Scotto of HoopsHype, the Boston Celtics conducted an interview with potential lottery pick, Scottie Barnes, out of Florida State. It was an easy glance by at first, thinking Celtics are just doing their due diligence, and then you remember… the Cs no longer hold a lottery pick.

So what does this mean?

Is President-Brad going to move right back into the lottery, just after trading the 16th pick in the Walker-Horford swap?

It doesn’t make all too much sense, speaking that after the deal, Stevens stated:

We had to look at the idea of moving that first round pick this year, it gave us the opportunity to look at a road ahead, with a few more options from a financial flexibility standpoint, as well as the best deal, we thought, with returning players.

From that quote alone, I would have said that Stevens did not want to draft at all in his first year and get some more established players on the team, as opposed to more projects. However, the report from multiple sources, including Barnes himself, directly contradicts that statement.

Maybe the OKC deal wasn’t getting done without that 16th pick?

Maybe Stevens does want to draft in the lottery to show everyone he can draft. Whatever the reason may be, Barnes sure is an interesting and exciting player to think about taking.

The 19-year-old athletic prospect is truly breathtaking to watch, I mean just check out these raw numbers:

Poliseli (Ex-Basketball Scouting Brasil)
@BasketScoutBR
·
Jun 24
Scottie Barnes physical profile in the combine looks pretty good.

6’7 w/o shoes
7’2.75 wingspan
225 lbs
2.99 Shuttle run (2nd best)
36’’ Standing vertical leap (3rd best)
39.5’’ Max vertical leap (9th best)
10.88 Lane agility time (8th best)

The 6-9 talent can do pretty much everything, with the exception of consistently knock down a jumper. He can distribute the ball very well, having a very high IQ, with an ability to handle the ball through tough situations.

He is a pest on the defensive end, and Kevin O’Connor said:

At worst, he’ll be a good defender; at best, he will win defensive accolades throughout his career.

Now, if that doesn’t sound like the type of project Brad Stevens would want to take on, especially with a defensive-minded coach like Udoka, then what does?

Playing point guard in high school, then transitioning based on height is one thing, but Barnes played point all the way through college — he’s that good of a playmaker.

This means that even with his long frame and crazy height, he still has all the capabilities of being a high-volume playmaker, which is extremely valuable in today’s game.

Even if Barnes isn’t the only guy the Boston Celtics are going after, it is definitely a storyline to watch out for within the next couple of weeks.

Bob
MY NOTE:  He shot 27.5% from 3 last year.  62% from the line.  Defensive Ratings don't mean as much in college as they do in the Pros.  Shorter games, different officiating, closer 3pt arc (which makes his 3pt fg% even worse than it looks).

Per nbadraft.net:

NBA Comparison: Jabari Parker/Draymond Green
Strengths: Versatility and power are the two greatest strengths of Barnes … He stands at 6’9 and attacks the rim with strength and speed like few others can at his size. He is also listed at 227 pounds, so he does not get pushed off his path very easily … He handles the ball well and can run the point as well as post up down low against bigger defenders … great passer for a combo forward … His versatility on offense is consistent with his versatility on the other end … Barnes has the lateral quickness and strength to guard every position on the court and is able to take the ball away with over two steals per 40 minutes … Plays with great energy on both ends fo the floor … He is a modern era point forward who sees the floor well and elevates above traditional big men with his size, length, and explosiveness … His 2.05 AST/TO ratio is third in the nation among power-five freshman and showcases his poise well beyond his years … He plays with a high motor in his limited minutes as he showed during his takeover against Florida at the end of the first half … Efficient scorer inside of the three-point line at 56% … Tremendous physique with toned arms and legs. has the look of an NBA player at 19 … Freakish 7’2 wingspan with big hands that help him guard any player on the floor … Can impact or take over the game on both ends of the floor, which will allow him to get valuable minutes early in his career and develop his jump shot … High-riser and electric player who can provide a spark at any time … His explosive first step allows him to get around defenders with ease and his strength allows him to maintain this extra step and get to the tin at will … He attacks the basket with both hands and can kick it out with both as well … High ceiling and top shelf potential

Weaknesses: The biggest thing holding Barnes back from a higher selection is his inconsistent jump shooting … The willingness to shoot threes is a positive, but his 30% is less than ideal … He is showing that he is more than capable of developing this shot, but inefficiency will hold him back until his perimeter game is a true threat … Not an elite athlete. Lacks great speed in the open floor. Not the most explosive and fluid of athletes, but solid … He does not have the elite ball-handling of the best point-forwards in the NBA or great three-point shooting to make up for it, but he has the tools to expand on these as he has no true faults that cannot be developed … Poor free throw shooting is not a great sign for the development of a consistent jumper as he is shooting just over 50% from the line …

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Sat Jun 26, 2021 11:13 am

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/three-2021-draft-prospects-reportedly-222800185.html

Three new 2021 draft prospects reportedly work out with the Boston Celtics

Fri, June 25, 2021, 6:28 PM

Let’s take a quick look at the three new 2021 draft prospects reportedly working out with the Boston Celtics. Texas Longhorn forward/center Kai Jones . Virginia Cavaliers guard Trey Murphy III. Duke Blue Devils forward Matthew Hurt

Bob
MY NOTE:  Kai Jones is projected to be a mid-first rounder, roughly a #12 - #16 pick, so a later lottery pick.  The same pick we just gave up to get Horford and Brown (or maybe a little sweeter?).  He's 6'11 1/2" and we just added 7'2" Moses Brown and have too many bigs now as it is.  WTF?!

Trey Murphy is a 6'9" SG/SF.  Junior.  Projected 2nd round or undrafted.

Matthew Hurt is a 6'9", 235# 2nd rounder.

I understand working out Murphy and Hurt, we have the #45 pick, but Jones?  Not only do I wonder why we would do it I wonder why Jones (and his agent if he already has one) would be willing to work out for a team that doesn't have any first round picks unless they've been told something by a team that is positioned to draft him.

We called him "Trader Danny".  Maybe a month into the job and it's looking like we've got ourselves "Brad the Barterer". If we're lucky maybe someday we'll be calling him "Stevens the Swindler".

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Sun Jun 27, 2021 10:35 am

about 6 minutes ago
Gonzaga's Corey Kispert says he interviewed with the Celtics this week at the NBA Combine.

Bob
MY NOTE:  6'7", 6'8" wingspan, 220#.  He is considered one of the best shooters in this draft.  He shot 44% from 3 last season on 6.5 3pt fgas/game for Gonzaga.  Tankathon projects him shooting 39.8% from 3 in the NBA.  He averaged 31.8 mpg, 88% from the line (as you'd expect from a shooter).  

He is ranked #13 by tankathon, #13 by nbadraft.net and #14 by mynbadraft.com.  ONCE AGAIN, we're talking to players in the late lottery after we've traded away our pick.  Reports are we've even talked to Scottie Barnes, who is projected 6th.

Brad the Barterer is up to something.  We don't know what, yet, but he's talking to projected mid-first round picks like jumping jack Kai Jones (similar to RWill and Moses?) and to a shooter like Corey Kispert (a somewhat taller version of Nesmith?) when he has no first round draft picks.  None.  So it isn't a "maybe we could trade up for you?" thing, it's a "if I like you I have a handshake deal with one of my peers that would let me get you" and that means a trade.  Who?  Who do we have that is worth a mid-first rounder?  Smart is worth more than that, in my opinion.  Fournier?  Trade Fournier for the pick and a player to make the numbers work?  Fournier's a UFA, so he doesn't have to agree to anything, but he also knows that without some salary relief it'll be harder for teams to sign him straight up (except for the Celtics, because we have his Bird Rights). Is the The Time Lord's time in Boston coming to an end?

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by gyso Sun Jun 27, 2021 10:45 am

Bob,

I was sort of speed reading your comments and came to a full, "What did he just type?" moment.

You wrote "Brad the Barterer".

My mind read it as, "Brad the Bartender."

Anyway, Brad's occasional dip into the lottery for interviews has me intrigued as well. Danny had trouble combining players and picks to move up in the draft. Is Brad about to show us how it is done?

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Sun Jun 27, 2021 10:53 am

gyso wrote:Bob,

I was sort of speed reading your comments and came to a full, "What did he just type?" moment.

You wrote "Brad the Barterer".

My mind read it as, "Brad the Bartender."

Anyway, Brad's occasional dip into the lottery for interviews has me intrigued as well.  Danny had trouble combining players and picks to move up in the draft.  Is Brad about to show us how it is done?

gyso,

"A woman drove me to drink and I didn't even have the decency to thank her." - WC Fields

Bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Tue Jul 20, 2021 2:48 pm

https://www.forbes.com/sites/chrisgrenham/2021/07/20/2021-nba-draft-seven-realistic-targets-for-the-boston-celtics/?sh=d77508870b00

2021 NBA Draft: Seven Realistic Targets For The Boston Celtics

Chris Grenham

The Celtics hold the No. 45 overall pick in the 2021 NBA Draft, a change from the recent trend where Boston owned a top-15 pick in four of the past five years. President of basketball operations Brad Stevens shipped off the team’s No. 16 selection to the Oklahoma City Thunder along with Kemba Walker, leaving them with the lone second-rounder. So, with less than 10 days until the draft, what should Boston be looking for at 45?

Some fans were upset by the Celtics getting rid of their top-20 pick, but Boston’s previous stockpile of first-round selections led them to a position where they didn’t necessarily need another first-round rookie on its roster. Now, the Celtics shift their focus to second-round prospects and undrafted free agents ahead of NBA Summer League. Let’s go through some realistic targets.

Quentin Grimes, Wing, Houston

Grimes fits the mold of a prospect who the Celtics’ previous front office would have been all over. He was a highly-touted high school recruit whose college career didn’t go as planned, an archetype that the Danny Ainge-led regime targeted numerous times in recent years. Despite the bumpy road, Grimes presents solid value in the second round. The 21-year-old is a big, strong wing who can confidently shoot, rebound and plays his tail off on both ends. His size and footwork could easily make him a plus defender at the NBA level.

Grimes had a good showing at the NBA Draft Combine and showcased his shooting versatility during the five-on-five scrimmages at the end of the week. That is a more accurate representation of his game than his initial struggles with the movement shooting drills early in the week. Creating off the dribble would add an intriguing dynamic to his skill set, but for now, Grimes seems like a good second-round option as a projectable 3-and-D wing.

Grimes had a good workout with the Celtics shortly before the combine, according to a source.

Joe Wieskamp, Wing, Iowa

Wieskamp impressed me at the NBA Draft Combine last month in Chicago, showing off an increasingly well-rounded game. Wieskamp’s reputation is that of a marksman, which is still the case — he’s arguably the best shooter in the class — however, there are other projectable areas to his game.

Wieskamp struggled to defend at times during Big Ten play last season, but he showed flashes at the combine of someone who could be able to defend at the next level in the future. During the five-on-five scrimmages, Wieskamp battled inside on the glass and stayed with quick opponents along the perimeter thanks to surprisingly good lateral movement. Can he stick with NBA wings? That remains the biggest question mark. He also can run pick-and-rolls if needed, giving him some additional versatility. His measurables were very impressive at the combine, emphasizing the athleticism that was often overlooked at Iowa.

It’s the shooting, however, that makes him so valuable in the second round. A 6-foot-5 knockdown shooter with a 6-foot-11 wingspan is a player any NBA team can use to space the floor.

Wieskamp worked out for the Celtics before last month’s combine.

Herb Jones, Forward, Alabama

Jones is one of the most intriguing second-round prospects. At 22, he’s older than some of his counterparts, which will push some evaluators away. But Jones’ four seasons at Alabama showcased a nice development trend for the 6-foot-6 forward. His perimeter defense is incredibly impressive for his size thanks to great footwork and versatility. Simply put, Jones is a really smart defender with fantastic physical tools.

His limited offense is the reason he’ll likely fall into the second round. Jones averaged under eight points in 20-plus minutes per night during his first three seasons at Alabama before posting 11.2 points per game last year. That was aided by his improved shooting numbers and a much smoother set of mechanics. Jones does have good vision and passing abilities for a player his size, which is a nice plus.

If he can just become an average shooter, Jones will be a steal in round two, considering his defense is about as good as any player in this class. The developments of the last year or so are encouraging, which is why I would be willing to bet on Jones in the second round without thinking twice (especially at No. 45).

Austin Reaves, Wing, Oklahoma

Reaves’ combine performance was very impressive, to say the least. In talking with folks in Chicago last month, it was clear he opened some eyes with his output throughout the week. He can serve as both a playmaking and scoring guard, whose work ethic sticks out among other strengths. Reaves is a gamer, and he’ll win over fans wherever he lands.

His shooting numbers at Oklahoma leave you wanting more, but a lot of that has to do with his poor shot selection. Reaves has good mechanics and a nice touch, meaning it’s easy to project him as a consistent shooter at the next level. His shooting performance at the combine would support that, as he knocked down an array of shots, both off the dribble and off the catch-and-shoot. He didn’t skip a beat on the perimeter, with or without the ball.

Who he guards in the NBA is a difficult question, but his toughness and smart defensive activity will aid him if his impressive offensive skill set keeps him on the floor. There’s a good chance he’s available at No. 45, and if Boston is looking for a scorer, he should be toward the top of its list.

Reaves has significant league-wide interest but has yet to work out for the Celtics, per source.

Daishen Nix, Guard, G League Ignite

Nix looked out of shape with the G League Ignite, which created some serious concern around his draft stock. The 19-year-old showed up to the combine looking slimmed down and constantly emphasized his focus on conditioning and eating right during his interviews, a positive that was immediately noted by everyone in attendance. There were some on-court struggles, however. Nix’s lack of shooting and athleticism really stuck out during the five-on-five scrimmages. He would have benefitted from one more season in the G League program, but now has the look of a second-round project. That was evident while playing in front of NBA front offices at Wintrust Arena.

Still, there remains a case for taking a shot on Nix. At 6-foot-4, he has good size for a point guard, which pairs nicely with his court vision and passing. He’s up there with some of the best passers in the class and has great patience and touch in the pick-and-roll. Nix’s body control and toughness allow him to finish inside as well, which helps to make up for his shooting.

Nix met with Stevens and the Celtics during the combine last month.

Aamir Simms, Forward, Clemson

Simms has been a bit overlooked during the pre-draft process, but he was one of my biggest winners at the G League Elite Camp. He has a great combination of size and skill at 6-foot-8 with a wingspan just north of seven feet. Simms shot 40% from deep as a senior to go along with an 82.5% clip from the free throw line. He also averaged 5.6 assists per 100 possessions during his senior season.

There certainly are things to like with Simms game, and teams have given him strong feedback throughout his post-combine workouts, according to sources. (The Celtics have yet to work him out.) He’d be a reliable option off the end of a bench almost immediately if given the opportunity. Simms isn’t projected to get selected on many boards, but it wouldn’t surprise me if that changes on draft night. If not, he’ll be a great option as an undrafted free agent.

Brandon Boston Jr., Wing, Kentucky

If Boston somehow falls to No. 45, which I doubt he will, the Celtics should take a chance on him. He has a significantly higher ceiling than any of his second-round counterparts and is undoubtedly worth a shot this late in the draft. Boston had a rough time in his one season at Kentucky, something we’ve seen before from NBA prospects in the Wildcats system. He isn’t as good as evaluators thought he was when he was projected as a lottery pick, but he’s almost certainly better than he looked last season. If he slides down the board, he’s worth the pick solely off of his upside.

Potential Summer League targets:

Matt Coleman, Guard, Texas (Read more about Coleman here.  
https://www.forbes.com/sites/chrisgrenham/2021/07/15/texas-guard-matt-coleman-ready-for-anything-ahead-of-2021-nba-draft/?sh=3e4daeae5db9

Duane Washington Jr., Guard, Ohio State

Yves Pons, Forward, Tennessee

Trendon Watford, Forward, LSU

Aaron Wiggins, Wing, Maryland

John Petty, Wing, Alabama

Bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by NYCelt Thu Jul 22, 2021 11:25 am

All longshots at this end of the draft. I don't think I can get as interested as in the past. I'll save it for next year.

I would go with Jones out of Bama from the list above. Taking a shot at a versatile defender seems worthwhile.
NYCelt
NYCelt

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Fri Jul 23, 2021 12:58 pm

about 33 minutes ago
Source confirms that the Celtics had Nigel Hayes in for a workout this week. @Emiliano Carchia was first to report. Hayes impressed during the workout, and there is interest on both sides in regards to a roster spot -- there have been no summer league discussions at this point.

Bob
MY NOTE:  6'8", 7'3" wingspan, 26 years old (27 in December).  4 year player from Wisconsin, undrafted in 2017.  Got 10 day contracts with LAL, NYK and Toronto.  None of these teams signed him to an NBA contract  Got an end-of-season contract with Sacto, who didn't sign him for the next season.  His listed weight is 227#, but Draftexpress had his weight at the Combine in 2017 at 254#.  That's a 27# weight loss, if true, and would make him a VERY different player now.  Shot over 44% from 3 last season with Zalgiris in the Euroleague in > 26mpg.  89% from the line.  Only 3.9 rebounds in those 26mpg.  A positive assist-to-turnover ratio, a nice thing to have in a big.

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Tue Jul 27, 2021 10:21 am

about 28 minutes ago
Oklahoma’s Austin Reaves is working out for the Celtics today, per sources. If Reaves is still available at No. 45, he will be near the top of Boston’s board. I spoke with Reaves about his background, skill set and more ahead of his workout in Boston: forbes.com/sites/chrisgre…

https://www.forbes.com/sites/chrisgrenham/2021/07/27/boston-celtics-expressing-interest-in-oklahomas-austin-reaves-ahead-of-2021-nba-draft/?sh=5e3e84911d96

Boston Celtics Expressing Interest In Oklahoma’s Austin Reaves Ahead Of 2021 NBA Draft

Chris Grenham
Chris GrenhamContributor
SportsMoney

The NBA Draft Combine - Page 2 Https%3A%2F%2Fspecials-images.forbesimg.com%2Fimageserve%2F60fcb102446d85e8078ea197%2FOklahoma-v-Missouri%2F960x0
INDIANAPOLIS, IN - MARCH 20: Austin Reaves #12 of the Oklahoma Sooners drives to the basket against ... [+] NCAA PHOTOS VIA GETTY IMAGES

From the Celtics’ perspective, draft week looks a little bit different this year. Boston owned a top-14 pick in four of the last five drafts, but in 2021, Brad Stevens and the Celtics front office have just one second-round selection. Lucky for them, there should be plenty of value on the board at No. 45, and Boston is doing its due diligence with less than one week to go.

Oklahoma’s Austin Reaves is one of the most intriguing prospects projected by many to go in the second round, and Boston is one of the numerous teams expressing interest in the 23-year-old guard. Reaves is set to workout with the Celtics on Tuesday, according to sources. A workout this close to draft night is a sure sign of interest from Boston, which should not come as a surprise to those who know Reaves’ game.

Reaves had a fantastic showing at the NBA Combine last month, which quickly helped to boost his stock among NBA front offices. But opening eyes as an overlooked prospect is nothing new for Reaves. He’s had to prove people wrong for his entire basketball career.

“It’s been like that my whole life,” Reaves said. “Coming out of high school, I wasn’t highly recruited. I bet on myself, went to Wichita (State) and really proved that I could play. Then I had the opportunity to go to Oklahoma and play on arguably the biggest stage in college basketball. I really just had to prove myself at all stages. Nothing has really changed in that aspect. It does give me motivation because I think I’m a really good basketball player and I do get overlooked. But at the same time, it’s kind of been like that, so it’s really second nature for me now.”

Reaves has always been a highly motivated competitor — that’s how he got to this point in his life. It wasn’t easy for Reaves to get noticed coming out of Newark, Arkansas, however, a small town with a population of fewer than 1,200 people. He put up major numbers for Cedar Ridge High School en route to three state championships in his four seasons, even hanging 73 points against an eventual state champion opponent in 2015. During his senior season, he averaged 43.3 points in four state tournament games to help lead Cedar Ridge to a Class 3A title. Despite the impressive success, Reaves still received little attention on the recruiting scene, something he says generated valuable lessons.

“It was hard — I only played AAU for one year because I played baseball,” he said. “It was tough on that aspect since a lot of the recruiting nowadays, unless you’re one of the really big names, happens at the AAU tournaments. So, it was tough. It was a little bit frustrating too. As you said, I had really good performances in high school and we won. We won three of four state championships, so it wasn’t someone just putting up good numbers and losing basketball games. We were winning as well. It was hard, but at the end of the day, it taught me a lot about perseverance. Sticking to it and putting in more work than everybody else to achieve your goals.”

Reaves began his college career at Wichita State, where he shot 45.1% from deep in 66 games over two seasons. The 6-foot-5 guard then transferred to Oklahoma, where he averaged 14.7 points and 18.3 points, respectively, in two seasons. Though there is one glaring stat that sticks out between the two stops. After shooting 45% at Wichita State, Reaves’ 3-point percentage fell to 27.7% during his two seasons at Oklahoma. NBA teams have asked Reaves about this throughout the pre-draft process, and he’s been very up front about the aforementioned numbers.

“At Wichita, I would say about 95% of my shots were catch-and-shoot good looks,” Reaves noted. “Going to Oklahoma with the role change, I took a lot of off-dribble, late shot clock, tougher shots. I think I had some of the fewest catch-and-shoot opportunities in the country just because of how defenses were playing us as a team. That’s really what I feel played most into it. It’s not a good excuse – I just have to make the shots that I take.”

Watching film on Reaves at Wichita State compared to his time at Oklahoma is telling. His answer is spot on — at Wichita State, Reaves was a knockdown catch-and-shoot player who was virtually automatic from deep. In Norman, Reaves took on a higher usage role, working on the ball quite a bit. He often got stuck taking long, difficult looks late in the shot clock. One NBA scout that I spoke with at the NBA Draft Combine said he did not have concerns with Reaves’ shooting numbers at Oklahoma, pointing toward his film at Wichita State and his 85.7% free throw clip in two years with the Sooners. Simply put, Reaves took a ton of contested shots at Oklahoma. His role as a combo guard with NBA spacing should get him much better looks at the next level.

Reaves is a versatile creator. He can create for himself in numerous ways with the ball in his hands, including off the bounce. He doesn’t shy away from contact, which pairs nicely with his strong and creative finishing. At Oklahoma, Reaves showed his ability to create for his teammates as a clever ball-handler with good body control. He sees the floor very well and uses that vision to attack defenses with good passing and a tight handle. In the pick-and-roll, Reaves makes good reads with patience, something he looked very comfortable with at the combine.

In a recent film session with ESPN, Reaves and Mike Schmitz discussed Utah Jazz wing Joe Ingles as a potential NBA comparison. Ingles does a little bit of everything to help contribute in Utah, and that all-around approach is something Reaves takes pride in. Whether it be shooting, creating for his teammates or solid, pestering activity on defense, Reaves is willing to do it for his team if it helps them get a win.

“Throughout games, if you’re a basketball mind, you can see multiple things that (Ingles) does to elevate his team and help his team be successful,” Reaves said. “There are a lot of things throughout a basketball game that don’t show up on a stat sheet that Joe Ingles does to help his team be successful.”

There’s a good chance Reaves is off the board by the time Boston is on the clock at No. 45, as his stock has continued to rise throughout this pre-draft process. If he ultimately is available, he will be near the top of the Celtics’ list. Boston had little to no shot creation down its bench last year, and Reaves is someone Stevens could add to Ime Udoka’s depth chart to provide immediate help. Reaves’ backcourt versatility and overall swagger would be a welcome addition to just about any NBA team, but it would be a particularly good fit on this current Celtics roster.

It’s not often that a zero-star recruit works his way into becoming an NBA draft pick. Austin Reaves, however, is just days away from making that dream a reality.

Bob
MY NOTE:  This highlight film is showing him hitting 3s with OK, but he only shot 30% on the year from there.

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2