Report: NBA discussing rule change so players couldn't use unnatural motions on jump shots to draw fouls

5 posters

Go down

Report: NBA discussing rule change so players couldn't use unnatural motions on jump shots to draw fouls Empty Report: NBA discussing rule change so players couldn't use unnatural motions on jump shots to draw fouls

Post by bobheckler Tue Jun 15, 2021 11:34 am

https://us.yahoo.com/sports/nba-discussing-rule-change-so-players-couldnt-use-unnatural-motions-on-jump-shots-to-draw-fouls-203826570.html

Report: NBA discussing rule change so players couldn't use unnatural motions on jump shots to draw fouls

Chris Cwik

Mon, June 14, 2021, 1:38 PM

A new NBA rule change could cut down on James Harden's free-throw attempts. The NBA's competition committee is reportedly discussing a rule that would prevent players from using unnatural motions on jump shots to draw fouls, according to ESPN's Adrian Wojnarowski.

Wojnarowski says the league wants to prevent players like Harden and Atlanta Hawks star Trae Young from leaning into fouls.

Adrian Wojnarowski
@wojespn
·
19h
Sources: NBA’s Competition Committee met Monday to further explore rules changes to restrict unnatural motions on jump shots players use to draw fouls. NBA wants to limit players - including stars like Trae Young, James Harden - from leaning backwards and sideways to draw fouls.

The rule change could go into effect during the offseason. The competition committee must first recommend the change to the Board of Governors, who will then vote on the issue. The competition committee will speak to team general managers about the potential changes in the new rule, according to Wojnarowski.

James Harden is the poster child for rule change

While the competition committee won't single out Harden, his style of play is clearly being targeted with the potential rule change.

Adrian Wojnarowski
@wojespn
·
19h
The plan's to bring recommendations to the Board of Governors for a vote this summer and implement rule changes for 2021-2022, per sources. Next step will be to talk with league’s GM’s about the specific unnatural motions that’ll be formally recommended to owners for elimination.
Quote Tweet
Adrian Wojnarowski
@wojespn
· 19h
Sources: NBA’s Competition Committee met Monday to further explore rules changes to restrict unnatural motions on jump shots players use to draw fouls. NBA wants to limit players - including stars like Trae Young, James Harden - from leaning backwards and sideways to draw fouls.
Adrian Wojnarowski
@wojespn
·
19h
There are star players with greater usage and exposure who many people identify with this issue, but the league and teams generally see this as a universal problem throughout rosters that gives offenses too great of an advantage.
Adrian Wojnarowski
@wojespn
·
18h
Young and Harden are both still alive in these playoffs, but the ability of many other players -- like Luka Doncic -- to create this kind of contact within the framework of the current rules has been at the center of league discussions for a long period of time.

Harden has a reputation for drawing questionable fouls. Harden ranked 23rd in free-throw attempts during the 2020-21 NBA season, though played in only 44 games. Prior to this season, Harden led the league in free-throw attempts for six straight seasons.

Young, the other player Wojnarowski mentioned, ranked third in free-throw attempts during the 2020-21 season with 546.

Last season, Harden led the NBA with 800 free-throw attempts. Giannis Antetokounmpo ranked second on that list with 629 free-throw attempts.

Bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Report: NBA discussing rule change so players couldn't use unnatural motions on jump shots to draw fouls Empty Re: Report: NBA discussing rule change so players couldn't use unnatural motions on jump shots to draw fouls

Post by bobc33 Tue Jun 15, 2021 12:10 pm

Would be a significant improvement to the game. Make it happen NBA!

Back to top Go down

Report: NBA discussing rule change so players couldn't use unnatural motions on jump shots to draw fouls Empty Re: Report: NBA discussing rule change so players couldn't use unnatural motions on jump shots to draw fouls

Post by bobc33 Tue Jun 15, 2021 1:21 pm

Here is another one.  Move the 3 point line back a little and do away with corner 3s.  Make it happen NBA!

Report: NBA discussing rule change so players couldn't use unnatural motions on jump shots to draw fouls 32ccfa10

Back to top Go down

Post by gyso Tue Jun 15, 2021 1:32 pm

BobC,

Moving the 3-point line back would kill spacing. Also, no baseline cuts because the corners would be a low percentage two point shot dead zone.

How about a compromise? Keep the corner 3 but move the arc back 3 feet?

Back to top Go down

Post by bobc33 Tue Jun 15, 2021 2:21 pm

gyso wrote:BobC,

Moving the 3-point line back would kill spacing.  Also, no baseline cuts because the corners would be a low percentage two point shot dead zone.

How about a compromise?  Keep the corner 3 but move the arc back 3 feet?

I’d go for that, I’d like to see them experiment with a few versions. 

If kept as is presently I’d like to see them widen the court just a tad.  Cut down on the out of bounds calls that add nothing to the game.

Back to top Go down

Post by Ktron Tue Jun 15, 2021 8:42 pm

bobc33 wrote:
gyso wrote:BobC,

Moving the 3-point line back would kill spacing.  Also, no baseline cuts because the corners would be a low percentage two point shot dead zone.

How about a compromise?  Keep the corner 3 but move the arc back 3 feet?

I’d go for that, I’d like to see them experiment with a few versions. 

If kept as is presently I’d like to see them widen the court just a tad.  Cut down on the out of bounds calls that add nothing to the game.

I’m for the rule eliminating the fake shot attempts other than that, leave the game alone!

Ktron

Back to top Go down

Post by RosalieTCeltics Tue Jun 15, 2021 9:34 pm

How about doing something with the court? I would love to know how many players step out of bounds because of these new courts. I hate them. I have never seen so many out of bounds calls as I did this year, and they wonder why they have so many problems with fans, too close to the floor
RosalieTCeltics
RosalieTCeltics

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down