Tatum latest Celtic to get snubbed by insignificant meaningless pop vote

+3
bobheckler
RosalieTCeltics
Ktron
7 posters

Go down

Tatum latest Celtic to get snubbed by insignificant meaningless pop vote Empty Tatum latest Celtic to get snubbed by insignificant meaningless pop vote

Post by Ktron Tue Jun 15, 2021 9:14 pm

The NBA on Tuesday evening announced its selections for All-NBA for the 2020-21 season.
And one year after making Second Team and receiving the distinction for the first time in his young career, Boston Celtics star wing Jayson Tatum was left out this year.
While not being included loses the 23-year-old the $32 million bump he’d get on his rookie extension, but it’s good news for the Celtics who will save some change against the salary cap — though not much.
Here are the 15 players who received All-NBA honors:
FIRST TEAM
Nikola Jokic, Denver Nuggets
Giannis Antetokounmpo, Milwaukee Bucks
Stephen Curry, Golden State Warrios
Luka Doncic, Dallas Mavericks
Kawhi Leonard, LA Clippers
SECOND TEAM
Chris Paul, Phoenix Suns
Damiam Lillard, Portland Trail Blazers
Joel Embiid, Philadelphia 76ers
Julius Randle, New York Knicks
LeBron James, LA Lakers
THIRD TEAM
Kyrie Irving, Brooklyn Nets
Bradley Beal, Washington Wizards
Rudy Gobert, Utah Jazz
Jimmy Butler, Miami Heat
Paul George, LA Clippers

Many were mad online, believing Tatum was snubbed. After a career year, there’s reasons for that argument, especially considering Tatum actually received more votes than Irving as a guard. However, since Tatum received the most votes as a forward, he was slotted in that position group.
Clearly, as the league trends more and more towards positionless basketball, All-NBA distinctions shouldn’t be determined by position.

Ktron

Back to top Go down

Tatum latest Celtic to get snubbed by insignificant meaningless pop vote Empty Re: Tatum latest Celtic to get snubbed by insignificant meaningless pop vote

Post by RosalieTCeltics Tue Jun 15, 2021 9:31 pm

Donovan Mitchell snubbed too and he has had one heck of a year.

Popularity contests…..$32 million it cost Tatum, not making this team
RosalieTCeltics
RosalieTCeltics

Back to top Go down

Tatum latest Celtic to get snubbed by insignificant meaningless pop vote Empty Re: Tatum latest Celtic to get snubbed by insignificant meaningless pop vote

Post by bobheckler Wed Jun 16, 2021 10:41 am

Tatum deserves to be on that list before PG13.

Tatum deserves to be on that list before Jimmy Butler.

Well, the good news is that Wyc and Pags now have $32M they can afford to spend on the luxury tax when they get us a stud.

The snubbing of Jayson Tatum on this list and Marcus Smart on the All-Defense Team will only pour gasoline onto the smoldering embers left over from last year.  Karma is a bitch, and she's coming to NBA arenas around the country in a few months, clad in green (and black, probably, because green-and-white is not in vogue anymore, unfortunately).

Bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by RosalieTCeltics Wed Jun 16, 2021 11:26 am

how the heck is this considered fair when LeBron sat half the season out, no way he should even be considered for this award. Same with Kyrie. This just proves how much this is power driven by those in higher places. Have to keep the boys happy, huh????

Tatum and Mitchell got screwed, period He will have many chances to get on this list, but having a kicker of $32 million and losing it unfairly should tick him off enough that he comes back even better

I hate popularity contests masked as awards. let's call them what they really are, Silver's kissass list
RosalieTCeltics
RosalieTCeltics

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Wed Jun 16, 2021 1:23 pm

I have not been able to find all the details on Tatum's 5 year contact.  

As we know there are incentives built in that could take him up to around $195 million.  I do not think he lost $32 million by not making the all NBA teams.

His contract without incentive is 25% of the CAP payable beginning with the 2021-22 season.  If he made the all NBA teams  for 2021, he would get 30% of the CAP.

The impact for next season's salary is more like $5 million not $32 million. So next year if he makes the all  NBA team he would still be eligible for the bonus incentive.  

Calling on gyso to share any information that he may have on how these incentives work.
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Wed Jun 16, 2021 1:49 pm

dboss wrote:I have not been able to find all the details on Tatum's 5 year contact.  

As we know there are incentives built in that could take him up to around $195 million.  I do not think he lost $32 million by not making the all NBA teams.

His contract without incentive is 25% of the CAP payable beginning with the 2021-22 season.  If he made the all NBA teams  for 2021, he would get 30% of the CAP.

The impact for next season's salary is more like $5 million not $32 million. So next year if he makes the all  NBA team he would still be eligible for the bonus incentive.  

Calling on gyso to share any information that he may have on how these incentives work.

dboss,

That $32M might be a total number for his entire contract, not only next year.

Nevertheless, I too would love to hear gyso's explanation of what the impact on the Celtic's salary is of this loss by Tatum. I think we're still staring at the same numbers, because nobody was assuming he was going to make an All-NBA team, this just means it won't get worse.

Bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by gyso Wed Jun 16, 2021 5:18 pm

Look here?

http://www.cbafaq.com/salarycap.htm#Q24

Back to top Go down

Post by RosalieTCeltics Wed Jun 16, 2021 8:35 pm

Good God, you read all this and absorb it Gyso? This is too much for my little mind to take at this time. I will take your word for whatever!!!
RosalieTCeltics
RosalieTCeltics

Back to top Go down

Post by gyso Wed Jun 16, 2021 10:19 pm

RosalieTCeltics wrote:Good God, you read all this and absorb it Gyso?  This is too much for my little mind to take at this time.  I will take your word for whatever!!!

Rosalie,

No, I do not understand all that.  I know some things and I know how to navigate Larry Coon's Salary Cap FAQ.  It's kind of like the bible for the NBA salary cap and as such, I know how to look $h*it up, but I don't understand everything cover-to-cover.

My guess:  Tatum didn't get all-league.  If he had, it would have been the one last trigger for his max contract to increase by 5% of total team cap amount (from 25% to 30%).  The media has reported the amount to be $32M (or $25M, depending on which article you read, or maybe not counting the last season of his contract, or something else, I don't know.)  I'll accept the numbers, I am not doing the math.  LOL

However, the big number ($32M or $??) is over the life of his contract and not just for one season.

IF Jason Tatum had been voted Prom King   king  (it is a silly popular vote, after all LOL) his salary would have increased.  It didn't happen this off season, but it may after he hits the one last trigger next season (as dboss said above).  If we are in the luxury tax with Tatum at either 25% or 30% of team cap, it does not help or hinder us in adding to the roster, it just is.  It does affect the tax paid by the owners, but that's not my problem.

Back to top Go down

Post by worcester Wed Jun 16, 2021 11:04 pm

Gyso, you can do my math homework any day, and I will give you the oreo cookies mom packed in my Rin Tin Tin lunchbox.
worcester
worcester

Back to top Go down

Post by RosalieTCeltics Wed Jun 16, 2021 11:11 pm

Gee, i wish it was mine. If I was worried about the luxury tax it means I am living in luxury myself!!!!!

Traveling this summer? We will just be going up to Maine for a couple of weeks, but it is so beautiful I won;t mind. We split the weeks, so in between I am hoping to get my dose of the Cape for a few days. It is crazy down there, pricing out of sight with people renting by the month and the owners making up for all they lost last year.

Anyway, Tatum is so young he will make up in endorsements whatever he might have gotten if chosen. My problem with the whole thing is that it is not right, LeBron missed half the season when you figure out
All his time injured, same with Kyrie. Oh well, you would think I was looking for a deposit in MY bank account!!
RosalieTCeltics
RosalieTCeltics

Back to top Go down

Post by worcester Wed Jun 16, 2021 11:19 pm

Speaking of Maine, I am flying to Portland tomorrow. Yay!

Speaking of Tatum's bank account, my nephew was standing behind Jayson at an ATM in the Bahamas right before his rookie training camp. Jayson took out some cash but left his receipt. My nephew picked it up and has saved it. Jayson had $19,000+ left in his checking account.

Last edited by worcester on Thu Jun 17, 2021 8:12 am; edited 1 time in total
worcester
worcester

Back to top Go down

Post by RosalieTCeltics Wed Jun 16, 2021 11:33 pm

What a heartache huh Worcester???
RosalieTCeltics
RosalieTCeltics

Back to top Go down

Post by gyso Wed Jun 16, 2021 11:55 pm

Rosalie,

We are in Gatlinburg right now for the week. It is beautiful here, almost like Maine in July. Fireflies in the evening, low to mid 80s, nice. We haven't seen any bears yet. It is starting to get hot in Charlotte, thunderstorms most evenings, humid.

I don't know if we will be going to Maine this summer, I hope so. It's been 21 months since we have been there.

Back to top Go down

Post by worcester Thu Jun 17, 2021 8:13 am

24 months for me
worcester
worcester

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Thu Jun 17, 2021 9:56 am

The All NBA team structure is very much outdated.

Something is wrong when a guy is 10th in scoring in the entire league and is left off of one of the 3 teams. ESPN has him listed as a SF where he is #1 in scoring and #1 in rebounding.

Good thing that Tatum has been quite frugal with his money and he is getting increasing opportunities for endorsement income. Even still, he got robbed.

dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by Ktron Thu Jun 17, 2021 4:39 pm

Tatum was screwed. Period. Also, he will not and cannot make up that lost money in endorsements.

Ktron

Back to top Go down

Post by atcross Thu Jun 17, 2021 5:35 pm

If it's an insignificant and meaningless popular vote then it's on Tatum and his agent for tying his income to it. You place your bet and take your chances.

atcross

Back to top Go down

Post by Ktron Thu Jun 17, 2021 5:52 pm

Apparently its not insignificant and meaningless to them. It’s a negotiated bonus and yes thats what they did.

Ktron

Back to top Go down

Post by gyso Thu Jun 17, 2021 6:03 pm

Ktron wrote:Tatum was screwed. Period. Also, he will not and cannot make up that lost money in endorsements.

If he only has to wait one season, he only loses out on one season worth of the 5% increase.  

(I used this season's numbers, $112,414,200 is the salary cap, just for this exercise)

$112,414,200 * .30 = $33,724,260
$112,414,200 * .25 = $28,103,550
The difference for his first season is $5,620,710

I do not disagree, Tatum was screwed.  However, he could make up $5.6M in endorsements, I imagine.

But, yes.  Why should he have to?

Back to top Go down

Post by gyso Thu Jun 17, 2021 6:12 pm

atcross wrote:If it's an insignificant and meaningless popular vote then it's on Tatum and his agent for tying his income to it. You place your bet and take your chances.

His income is determined by the salary cap rules.  It is not something Tatum or his agent negotiated.  It is called a max contract.

[Edit, additional info: The increase from 25% to 30% is also determined by the salary cap rules and is not something Tatum or his agent negotiated.]

Back to top Go down

Post by atcross Thu Jun 17, 2021 6:41 pm

gyso wrote:
atcross wrote:If it's an insignificant and meaningless popular vote then it's on Tatum and his agent for tying his income to it. You place your bet and take your chances.

His income is determined by the salary cap rules.  It is not something Tatum or his agent negotiated.  It is called a max contract.

[Edit, additional info: The increase from 25% to 30% is also determined by the salary cap rules and is not something Tatum or his agent negotiated.]
Thanks for the correction. That's weird though. Why would any side want to tie compensation to such a capricious method? (Yes, that was rhetorical.)

atcross

Back to top Go down

Post by Ktron Thu Jun 17, 2021 9:29 pm

gyso wrote:
Ktron wrote:Tatum was screwed. Period. Also, he will not and cannot make up that lost money in endorsements.

If he only has to wait one season, he only loses out on one season worth of the 5% increase.  

(I used this season's numbers, $112,414,200 is the salary cap, just for this exercise)

$112,414,200 * .30 = $33,724,260
$112,414,200 * .25 = $28,103,550
The difference for his first season is $5,620,710

I do not disagree, Tatum was screwed.  However, he could make up $5.6M in endorsements, I imagine.

But, yes.  Why should he have to?

Thanks. Glad your here. I couldn’t get past fractions so I’d never be able to figure these numbers out. Great that he still has a chance to earn some of that “bonus”. I look at the endorsement piece like this. I assume he’s going to make endorsement money either way so if he got his 30 mil and he made 5 mill in endorsements he’d have 35. He not getting the bonus but still having those endorsements (I assume) has him still out 30 so I don’t look at him making up money that he probably would have made either way. Hell, now that I think about it, why should we worry. He’s not heading to the poor house anytime soon. LOL

Ktron

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Thu Jun 17, 2021 11:03 pm

Tatum signed with the Jordan brand.
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down