Referees mandated to call more technicals in the NBA this year?

+11
bobc33
rickdavisakaspike
mrkleen09
Outside
bobheckler
celtic fan
Sam
sinus007
dbrown4
swedeinestonia
tjmakz
15 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Referees mandated to call more technicals in the NBA this year? - Page 2 Empty Re: Referees mandated to call more technicals in the NBA this year?

Post by sinus007 Thu Oct 14, 2010 8:53 am

Hi,
Here's what Woj wrote about it:
http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news;_ylt=AumcLBjNlXV0UzyddV.0rxy8vLYF?slug=aw-sternofficiating101410

IMO, he hit nail on the head.
Second game in a row where, when players stop practicing and start playing for real, it becomes obvious how ridiculous the new rules are.

AK
sinus007
sinus007

Back to top Go down

Referees mandated to call more technicals in the NBA this year? - Page 2 Empty Re: Referees mandated to call more technicals in the NBA this year?

Post by tjmakz Thu Oct 14, 2010 10:59 am

I haven't seen much of the pre-season games but from what I hear the referees are way too anxious to pass out techs. It wouldn't surprise me if the league told the referees to clamp down on the players during the pre-season and hopefully the players/referees will find some common ground of conduct for when the regular season starts.
The NBA is a star driven league. There is no way the Kobe's/LeBron's/Garnett's/C. Anthony's will get ejected for reactions.
MLB Umpires have many issues too, but they don't eject if a player makes an immediate reaction to a perceived bad call.

I think the whole point of this is to stop the complaining from players when they obviously foul another player. Players rake the arms of a shooter and hold their arms up like they never touched them.
tjmakz
tjmakz

Back to top Go down

Post by jeb Thu Oct 14, 2010 11:39 am

Clyde Frazier made the point during last nights game that often the player is truly mad at himself. He said it in a tone similar to what it sounds like Tommy said. It was pretty good stuff from a guy who knows.
jeb
jeb

Back to top Go down

Post by mrkleen09 Thu Oct 14, 2010 11:50 am

tjmakz wrote:I haven't seen much of the pre-season games
tjmakz wrote:The NBA is a star driven league. There is no way the Kobe's/LeBron's/Garnett's/C. Anthony's will get ejected for reactions.

http://www.bostonherald.com/sports/basketball/celtics/view.bg?articleid=1288657&srvc=rss
mrkleen09
mrkleen09

Back to top Go down

Post by tjmakz Thu Oct 14, 2010 11:56 am

kleen,

I don't think this will happen often in the regular season.
I didn't see the Celtics game last night but read about it.
tjmakz
tjmakz

Back to top Go down

Post by jeb Thu Oct 14, 2010 12:00 pm

tommy's pov http://www.nesn.com/2010/10/tommy-heinsohn-calls-nba-officiating-stupid-during-celtics-knicks-game.html
jeb
jeb

Back to top Go down

Post by mrkleen09 Thu Oct 14, 2010 2:03 pm

TJ – I wish I was as you with the NBA and their ability to do the right thing.
As Tommie eloquently stated last night, if you made a list of the top 100 things the NBA needs to improve on, calling more technicals would be #150.

It is like taking a clunker to Maaco for a new paint job….why not fix the REAL problems instead of muddying the water with this kind of BS nonsense.
mrkleen09
mrkleen09

Back to top Go down

Post by tjmakz Thu Oct 14, 2010 2:19 pm

This reminds me a whole lot of the 1987 baseball season.
Before the season, the umpires were mandated to be strict with balk calls.
The balk calls were making a mockery out of the games and games were being decided by balks.
I think about 6 weeks into the season the umpires were told to back off being so strict with balk calls. This was a MLB mandate that completely backfired.
If the NBA referees show almost a zero tolerance for the players and their emotions, this will backfire and the league will be forced to scrap the new tech rules.
tjmakz
tjmakz

Back to top Go down

Post by tjmakz Thu Oct 14, 2010 2:27 pm

mrkleen09 wrote:TJ – I wish I was as you with the NBA and their ability to do the right thing.
As Tommie eloquently stated last night, if you made a list of the top 100 things the NBA needs to improve on, calling more technicals would be #150.

It is like taking a clunker to Maaco for a new paint job….why not fix the REAL problems instead of muddying the water with this kind of BS nonsense.

Tommy is right with what he said.
But if the NBA wants to crack down on the poor conduct, frivilous arguing over foul calls, etc., how else should they do this?
Getting higher quality referees and consistent calls is a work in progress.
Getting the players to have reasonable emotions is also a work in progress, although it hasn't started off well for the NBA this pre-season.

The NBA is wildly popular because they generally know what they are doing and they have a great product.
This tech mandate will be adjusted to a reasonable level.
tjmakz
tjmakz

Back to top Go down

Post by jeb Thu Oct 14, 2010 2:44 pm

Will the new "rule" be evenly applied. No it wont. "Superstars" will skate and the nba middle class will pay all the taxes.
jeb
jeb

Back to top Go down

Post by swedeinestonia Fri Oct 15, 2010 8:05 am

Union plans legal action over rise in technicals

http://www.nba.com/2010/news/10/14/union-technicals.ap/index.html?ls=iref:nbahpt2
swedeinestonia
swedeinestonia

Back to top Go down

Post by beat Fri Oct 15, 2010 9:00 am

There figures to be a rise in technical fouls, which come with heavier fines this season. There were four called in a 16-second span of Boston's exhibition victory over New York on Wednesday, with Celtics All-Star Kevin Garnett being ejected after picking up two of them for arguing.

I watched the game and certainly if THAT was arguing then there should have been about 50 more techs called and the fans could have finished the game.

League is fast becoming a more like going to a PG movie then a sporting event.

I think fans from EVERY team want there players to care and to be a bit pissed at times. Emotion can drive these guys to do amazing things.

Go back to 2 refs, and let them just call the game as it was meant to be called and things would be so much better......oh for the days of Mendy Rudolph!!!

beat

beat
beat

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam Fri Oct 15, 2010 1:57 pm

Mendy Rudolph was right up there, but Sid Borgia was the best. Let the boys play. Nose to nose with Red, time and time again. And Red got tossed mainly when he wanted to.

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

https://samcelt.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Post by beat Fri Oct 15, 2010 2:10 pm

Sam

Don't remember Sid. But Mendy was a class act. Allowed the guys to play but never let the game get out of hand.

I just don't see how these players can even begin to know where the line is that they cannot cross. Of all the major pro sports this is probably the toughest to officiate, that said there will be many calls that are either missed, (or allowed to be missed) or made that are totally wrong. And what is the agrieved player to do when it is obvious he was fouled and NO CALL was made? In both football and baseball they are at least doing some things to get the call correct. I am not proposing replay beyond the timing issues the currently have cause virtually all the whistles during the course of play are judgement calls.

And you know dam well the "stars" will seldom get tossed when THEY question a call.

I'd also like to know exactly what KG said to the ref that was walking away to get his second T the other eve.

It's a players league not a refs league.

beat

beat
beat

Back to top Go down

Post by MDCelticsFan Fri Oct 15, 2010 2:54 pm

Beat: Don't tell Stern, He thinks it's HIS league.-MD!

MDCelticsFan

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Fri Oct 15, 2010 3:06 pm

I think this rule will really hurt those players that play with a high level of intensity and emotion.

I think techs should only be called for unsportsman like conduct and that would include acting cooko.

I guess Stern decided it was time retake the insane asylum with the heavy hand of the 'Big Nurse'

dboss
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by jeb Fri Oct 15, 2010 3:30 pm

stern=nurse ratched...very nice dboss
jeb
jeb

Back to top Go down

Post by beat Fri Oct 15, 2010 4:00 pm

Jeb

The Chief was in that flick too (Parish's nicknames source)

beat
beat
beat

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam Fri Oct 15, 2010 6:20 pm

Beat, one time Sid made a call that Red hated. So Red called a timeout, charged out on the court, and confronted Sid. Red started in a religious vein, invoking the name of the Lord's son. He continued by letting Sid know his mother belonged in a kennel. And, all the time, Red was smoking a cigar. When Red finished, Borgia was left with cigar bits all over his face.

After that, Sid made doubly sure the Celtics earned everything they got, and he still engaged in screaming matches with Red—but almost always at a safe distance.

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

https://samcelt.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Post by jeb Fri Oct 15, 2010 6:40 pm

beat

Juicy fruit.

Jeb
jeb
jeb

Back to top Go down

Post by beat Fri Oct 15, 2010 7:57 pm

Sam

About the funniest thing I have ever seen on a basketball court and it wasn't the NBA, was my senior year in HS. A soph had been called up and was playing as the starting PG. His grandparents were very supportive and always sat in the first row near midcourt across from the benches. After getting hosed with a few bad calls against their grandson they were becoming quite upset. Just a few moments after the lastest bad call against their grandchild the ball just happened to go out of bounds and landed right in grandma's lap. Well instead of handing it to the official, she gave it to her husband. She then carefully removed her glasses and placed them on the refs head. Had to be about the most hilarious thing I've ever seen. Of course we all got on Dougie quite a bit after that!

beat
beat
beat

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2