Ime Udoka is the new coach of the Celtics.

+11
jrleftfoot
worcester
bobc33
Ktron
cowens/oldschool
Shamrock1000
sinus007
dboss
gyso
RosalieTCeltics
international
15 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Ime Udoka is the new coach of the Celtics. Empty Ime Udoka is the new coach of the Celtics.

Post by international Wed Jun 23, 2021 3:04 pm

New Celtics president of basketball operations Brad Stevens has made a decision on his replacement, according to Adrian Wojnarowski of ESPN, who reports (via Twitter) that Boston is finalizing a deal to hire Nets assistant Ime Udoka as the team’s new head coach.

Udoka, who appeared in over 300 NBA games as a player for the Lakers, Knicks, Blazers, Spurs, and Kings, transitioned into coaching following his retirement in 2012. He spent seven years as an assistant on Gregg Popovich‘s staff in San Antonio before joining the Sixers for the 2019/20 season. He was hired by the Nets last fall and focused on Brooklyn’s defense as one of the top assistants on Steve Nash‘s staff.

Udoka has interviewed for several open head coaching positions in recent years, having been linked to the Bulls, Pacers, Knicks, and 76ers a year ago and to the Cavaliers in 2019. He was due for a shot at a top job and quickly separated himself from the Celtics’ other candidates during the team’s coaching search, tweets Wojnarowski.

international

Back to top Go down

Ime Udoka is the new coach of the Celtics. Empty Re: Ime Udoka is the new coach of the Celtics.

Post by RosalieTCeltics Wed Jun 23, 2021 3:13 pm

I read that this guy had the inside track along with Billups. They probably did not want to wait just incase the Clippers get back into their series and tie it up, go 7 games and win, then they would have to wait for the finals to finish.

I also read that Tatum and Brown were on board with this guy. They knew him from the USA team, and he is from Popovich's tutoring
RosalieTCeltics
RosalieTCeltics

Back to top Go down

Ime Udoka is the new coach of the Celtics. Empty Re: Ime Udoka is the new coach of the Celtics.

Post by gyso Wed Jun 23, 2021 3:17 pm

I'm glad the search is over.  With him onboard, we can focus on players.

Here's more:

https://sports.yahoo.com/celtics-head-coach-rumors-ime-185403456.html

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Wed Jun 23, 2021 3:28 pm

Bravo!
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Wed Jun 23, 2021 4:03 pm

Brad Stevens is 2 for 2.

I guess, Coach Udoka has a pretty good idea about the offensive and defensive sets and tendencies of the Nets , lol

dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by sinus007 Wed Jun 23, 2021 5:41 pm

Hi,
Welcome to Boston, coach Udoka!
Let's see what he can do.
Meanwhile, here's Pop's opinion of him: https://www.yahoo.com/sports/gregg-popovich-quote-celtics-coach-192145989.html

AK
sinus007
sinus007

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Wed Jun 23, 2021 5:49 pm

sinus007 wrote:Hi,
Welcome to Boston, coach Udoka!
Let's see what he can do.
Meanwhile, here's Pop's opinion of him: https://www.yahoo.com/sports/gregg-popovich-quote-celtics-coach-192145989.html

AK

"He exudes a confidence and a comfort in his own skin where people just gravitate to him," Popovich said, per Arnovitz. "He's a fundamentally sound teacher because he's comfortable with himself, he knows the material and players read it. Often times, I'll say, 'Ime, can you go talk to so-and-so? Go talk to Patty Mills, go talk to Timmy, go talk to Kawhi.' And he'll do it better than I would do it -- and I'm not blowing smoke. The only thing I don't like about him is that he doesn't drink, so I can't enjoy a glass of wine with him. He's really boring at dinner."
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by Shamrock1000 Wed Jun 23, 2021 5:51 pm

I have a good feeling about this guy. Watched a few interviews. On the one hand, he's cerebral and is clearly a student of the game, which will allow him to relate to Brad. On the other hand, he has a quiet intensity, which will command respect from the players. Could be a great fit.

Shamrock1000

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Wed Jun 23, 2021 6:11 pm

I like the pick/choice!!

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by Ktron Wed Jun 23, 2021 6:21 pm

Me likes.
Does anyone here remember him as a player? I never heard of him until he started coaching.
So happy we got him.

Ktron

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Wed Jun 23, 2021 6:35 pm

Ktron wrote:Me likes.
Does anyone here remember him as a player? I never heard of him until he started coaching.
So happy we got him.

Never heard of him as a player or coach, until recently, been reading alot about him and coming from Pop’s tree is good enough for me, obviously knows Spurs system inside and out and he’s dealt with a lot of star players.

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Wed Jun 23, 2021 6:36 pm

We have a big man coach who is even young enough to play, now let’s get a great offensive and defensive coordinator....

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by Ktron Wed Jun 23, 2021 6:40 pm

cowens/oldschool wrote:We have a big man coach who is even young enough to play, now let’s get a great offensive and defensive coordinator....

I think he was in charge of the defense in Brooklyn. He got those lames that were adverse to Defense to end up playing some pretty good D during the playoffs. I’m looking forward to this ride.

Ktron

Back to top Go down

Post by bobc33 Wed Jun 23, 2021 6:48 pm

Seems like a good hire.  Things are happening quickly this off season.

My goals for the new coach:
1. Get the team to play with sustained effort, night after night after night………have some pride in your game.
2. Convince Tatum and Brown they need to lead by example.  In 4 years Tatum has hardly ever hit the deck for a loose ball nor made a Tommy Point with extra effort and hustle.  In 5 years Brown has been a tad better in the grit department than Tatum, but not by much.  If they don’t do it, it’s hard to expect the rest of the team to do it.  We call it Ganas here and it has been sadly lacking.
3. Convince Smart he is a decent shooter but he should seldom, if ever, launch 3s early in the shot clock.

I am looking forward to next season!!!

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Wed Jun 23, 2021 6:49 pm

It’s all coming together, we are still so young, love the recent upgrades, the new bigman depth, still moves to be made to further clear and upgrade the roster; but so excited about young Moses and old Al to man the middle. Now we have a new coach, he seems like the real deal, with good health I see us being right in the mix with all the top teams.

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Wed Jun 23, 2021 6:51 pm

Ktron wrote:
cowens/oldschool wrote:We have a big man coach who is even young enough to play, now let’s get a great offensive and defensive coordinator....

I think he was in charge of the defense in Brooklyn. He got those lames that were adverse to Defense to end up playing some pretty good D during the playoffs. I’m looking forward to this ride.

Great our defense was not motivated last year, some new innovations can only be good

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by worcester Wed Jun 23, 2021 8:56 pm

George Harrison on Ime:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0R2htxCrw6U
worcester
worcester

Back to top Go down

Post by jrleftfoot Wed Jun 23, 2021 9:58 pm

Being engaged to Nia Long is a big + in my book.
jrleftfoot
jrleftfoot

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Wed Jun 23, 2021 11:03 pm

Head Coach Ime Odoka, on coaching:

Bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by worcester Wed Jun 23, 2021 11:09 pm

Udoka.

Thick eyebrows. Strong vitality.
worcester
worcester

Back to top Go down

Post by Berlin-T Thu Jun 24, 2021 1:47 am

This guy seems to be exactly what this team needs. I'm really excited about the coming season. Well done Brad Stevens, well done.

Berlin-T
Berlin-T
Berlin-T

Back to top Go down

Post by dbrown4 Thu Jun 24, 2021 3:25 am

Excellent choice!! Now let's get going!!

db
dbrown4
dbrown4

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Thu Jun 24, 2021 1:28 pm

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/jackie-macmullan-ime-udokas-coaching-230020574.html

Jackie MacMullan:  How Ime Udoka's coaching style fits Celtics' needs

Justin Leger
Wed, June 23, 2021, 4:00 PM

The Boston Celtics completed their search for their next head coach on Wednesday, reportedly finalizing an agreement to hire Ime Udoka as Brad Stevens' replacement.

The 43-year-old has served as an assistant coach since 2012, when he joined Gregg Popovich's staff on the San Antonio Spurs. He was hired as a Philadelphia 76ers assistant in 2019 and was a Brooklyn Nets assistant for the 2020-21 season.

The move to hire Udoka was met with praise from the NBA world and, more importantly, the approval of key Celtics players. Udoka coached Jayson Tatum, Jaylen Brown and Marcus Smart as an assistant with Team USA at the 2019 FIBA World Cup.

So, other than his brief experience coaching the Celtics trio, what makes Udoka such a great fit for this team? ESPN's Jackie MacMullan explained Wednesday on Early Edition.

"I think he's a great fit with Brad Stevens," MacMullan said. "When I think about Brad Stevens, I think of someone who is not a self-promoter, that likes to stay under the radar and just do his work. Someone who's a defensive-first coach in many ways, who believes in the pillars of consistency and character. All the things that the San Antonio Spurs have represented, an organization that we know Brad Stevens has openly admired, and Ime is part of that coaching tree.

"As for the players endorsing him, that is wonderful, but don't be mistaken. When need be, the word on the street is Ime can be a hard-nosed guy with his players. Fair, but can be hard-nosed and I think that's something this Celtics team could use."

One criticism of Stevens was that he wasn't hard enough on his players during times in which it was warranted. By the sound of it, Udoka has a knack for holding players accountable.

Another quality that likely appealed to the Celtics during the interview process is Udoka's focus on defense. The Celtics struggled throughout the 2020-21 campaign on that side of the floor.

"One of the things [Udoka] did was connect almost immediately with James Harden when he came over (to the Nets)," MacMullan said. "And as you know, Harden came over there a little battered with a very public perception that wasn't so hot, and he really calmed him down. One of his specialties as we've talked about is defense. You could see the defensive commitment Harden made with that team."

Only time will tell whether Udoka is truly the right fit for Boston. As of now though, it's clear why he topped the Celtics' list of worthy candidates.

Bob
MY NOTE:  I probably would have preferred a head coach with head coaching experience, just because I prefer the known to the unknown, but the head coaches that were available didn't do it for me.  Carlisle is TOO much of a control freak, Scott Brooks couldn't get a team that had Westbrook, Durant, Harden and Adams into contention, Terry Stotts isn't as much of a defensive coach as I'd like and that, of course, completely disqualifies Mike (No) D'Antoni.  Of the assistant coaches whose names were in the hat I probably would have gone with Cassel and Billups first, since they are former players with Championship rings.  I think that has a lot of cred with players.  Cassell has 3 rings and 11 years of assistant coaching experience.  Billups has far less.  I would have liked Becky Hammon or Kara Lawson for sentimental value and for the history of it (also, Hammons is from the Pop tree and Lawson coached the Celtics and they know and liked her) but neither of those women have extensive NBA coaching experience, and I really didn't want Brad to play around with this.  I wanted him to nail this and not waste a few more years of the J's career with the wrong coach.  

Ok, having gotten all that out of my system, I like Ime Udoka and am very comfortable with him getting the job.  I didn't know much about him before yesterday (ok, I never even heard of him before this search process began) but I've taken my time to read up on him rather than just spouting off a poorly formed kneejerk opinion (aka a 'premature ejaculation').  He's got some NBA player experience with several teams, although nothing that stuck, and he has 9 years of assistant coaching experience with 3 different teams.  Started with Pop and worked for him for 7 years (it's hard to not pick a fruit of the Pop tree), Philly and Brooklyn.  Pop doesn't hire or draft individuals with questionable character. He's a defense-first guy, and there's nothing not to like about that.  He coached Harden, and actually got him to buy into playing defense.  That, alone, moves him onto a coaching pedestal higher than Scott Brooks and Mike (No) D'Antoni, and they are both very experienced NBA head coaches.

Other than a lack of head coaching experience coming in Ime Udoka checks all the boxes.  He's a good communicator with players, based upon the statements from Pop and Horford and others.  Also, based upon numerous inputs, he has an edge about him when the soft soap approach isn't working.  He's got a little steel in his spine.  He's a fruit of the Pop tree, 7 years.  He has experience in other coach's systems too and, as a former assistant coach in Philly and Brooklyn, he knows how they play against us and how to play best against them.  From a player/coach relationship perspective he ticks the box for Jaylen and others in that he's African-American.  That doesn't make him a better coach, certainly not from an Xs-and-Os perspective, but it might mean the players that need to buy into him will be more inclined to go the extra yard for him and that's important.  Having players willing to go the extra yard for you will make you look like a better coach.  And did I mention he's defense-first?

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Thu Jun 24, 2021 2:04 pm

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/nba-rumors-celtics-stars-played-193002252.html

How Celtics stars played key role in Ime Udoka hire

Darren Hartwell
Wed, June 23, 2021, 12:30 PM

What's the best way to land the NBA's most coveted head coach opening? Earning the support of that team's best players is a good place to start.

The Boston Celtics reportedly are finalizing an agreement to make Brooklyn Nets assistant Ime Udoka their next head coach. The 43-year-old is well-respected in league circles and also has the experience of coaching three Celtics stars: Udoka was an assistant coach under Gregg Popovich at the 2019 FIBA World Cup for a Team USA roster featuring Jayson Tatum, Jaylen Brown and Marcus Smart.

It appears that experience helped land Udoka the job. Stadium's Jeff Goodman reported earlier this week that Tatum, Brown and Smart all have "spoken highly" of Udoka, while ESPN's Adrian Wojnarowski reported Wednesday that Udoka received "significant support" from Celtics players during the interview process.

According to the Boston Herald's Mark Murphy, Tatum, Brown and Smart all were consulted about the possibility of hiring Udoka and apparently signed off on the move.

New Celtics president of basketball operations Brad Stevens -- whom Udoka will replace after Stevens' eight seasons as head coach -- said recently he's been in "very close contact" with Tatum and Brown specifically over the past two weeks, so there's a good chance Udoka came up in those conversations.

Udoka wasn't the biggest name on Boston's coaching radar -- the team reportedly had strong interest in former All-Star Chauncey Billups, as well -- but after a frustrating season plagued by chemistry issues, it makes sense the Celtics would target a candidate who can work well their players and most importantly has their stamp of approval.

Bob
MY NOTE: I didn't see this article before I wrote my comments about the previous thread, but it confirms my thoughts. Our cornerstone players wanted Udoka, and that's a very good thing because they are now emotionally invested in him and their success with him.

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by dbrown4 Thu Jun 24, 2021 2:07 pm

Yeah, the Pop connection is more than enough for me. Get him on board. There's lots of work to do! Time's a wastin'!!

db
dbrown4
dbrown4

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next