Boston Celtics' coach Udoka on Josh Richardson's veteran role

Go down

Boston Celtics' coach Udoka on Josh Richardson's veteran role Empty Boston Celtics' coach Udoka on Josh Richardson's veteran role

Post by bobheckler Sat Jan 29, 2022 5:40 pm

https://celticswire.usatoday.com/lists/boston-celtics-coach-udoka-on-josh-richardsons-veteran-role/

Boston Celtics' coach Udoka on Josh Richardson's veteran role

Boston Celtics' coach Udoka on Josh Richardson's veteran role USATSI_17563189
Winslow Townson-USA TODAY Sports

Mike Mavredakis
January 28, 2022 7:28 pm ET

Boston Celtics head coach Ime Udoka talked up veteran guard Josh Richardson’s impact this season at his shootaround press conference Friday. Richardson has been a bench player this season in Boston, not a role he’d previously been accustomed to since breaking into the league his rookie year with the Miami Heat in 2015-16.

Richardson had come off the bench just five times in his previous four seasons before coming to Boston. This season, he has yet to start in one of his 37 games played while guards Dennis Schroder and Marcus Smart have shared a bulk of the starting minutes. Despite this change, Udoka said Richardson has been embracing this role and has been an important veteran voice in the process.

“Other than Dallas in the playoffs, that was really his first time coming off the bench in his career, something he’s embraced, he was pressed more into that with Dennis being in starting lineup at times with all the guys being in out with COVID and injury,” Udoka said. “He has been one of our most solid veteran guys out there and we got some younger wings behind him, but he’s been really good overall.”

The Celtics have a mix of young players and older vets, but are largely a young team at this point. Richardson brings some experience to position group with five players 25 years old and younger — Jayson Tatum, Jaylen Brown, Aaron Nesmith, Payton Pritchard and Romeo Langford.

“I think he takes more onus on with this group than probably in previous stops where he’s had some older guys with him,” Udoka stated. “He’s one of the veterans here and he’s taking on that role very well.”

Richardson is averaging 9.8 points, 2.8 rebounds and 1.5 assists per game while shooting over 40% from three off the bench this season.

Bob
MY NOTE:  I like JRich.  He plays hard.  He plays smart.  At 40% he's as good a 3-and-D wing player we could ask for and at a very reasonable price (good job, Brad, signing him to 2 years), but I think he needs to be paired on the court with a flame thrower.  A back court of Smart and JRich, for example, would not be good since we'd get no points from the back court.  Get rid of Schroder, give his minutes at point to Pritchard and pair him with JRich and that might work because JRich could run an offense part-time and let flame thrower Payton Pritchard play off the ball and get his shots up. He may be moved by February 10th because he's known and appreciated in the league and because his contract is big enough to make something happen, but I'm not eager to get rid of him.  I'd be willing to wager that whomever we get to replace him won't be as good, and that includes Aaron Nesmith.  Someday?  Sure, but not yet, not this year.

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down