Report: Jamahl Mosley reaches deal to coach Orlando Magic

+2
cowens/oldschool
bobheckler
6 posters

Go down

Report: Jamahl Mosley reaches deal to coach Orlando Magic Empty Report: Jamahl Mosley reaches deal to coach Orlando Magic

Post by bobheckler Sun Jul 11, 2021 12:41 pm

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/report-jamahl-mosley-reaches-deal-152518755.html

Sun, July 11, 2021, 8:25 AM

Orlando reached agreement with Jamahl Mosley on a four-year deal to coach the Magic, according to ESPN.

It's the first head coaching job for the 42-year-old Mosley, who spent the past seven seasons as an assistant to Dallas Mavericks coach Rick Carlisle. He's also had stints as an assistant in Cleveland (2010-14) and Denver (2005-10).

The Magic had narrowed down their candidates to Mosley and Denver Nuggets assistant Wes Unseld Jr., who remains a leading candidate to take over the Washington Wizards, per the report.

The Magic and Steve Clifford mutually parted ways last month after finishing 21-51 in 2020-21. Clifford compiled a 96-131 record in three seasons in Orlando.

Due to a series of midseason trades, the Magic have entered a rebuilding mode. Orlando has two lottery picks in the 2021 NBA Draft and potentially $30 million in cap space to build a team around a young core of Cole Anthony, Mo Bamba, Wendell Carter Jr. and Chuma Okeke and returning starters Markelle Fultz and Jonathan Isaac, who both had season-ending injuries.

Mosley played collegiately at Colorado, averaging 11.4 points per game in 103 contests (79 starts) from 1997-2001.

Bob
MY NOTE:  HC Rick Carlisle quit on Cuban, GM Donny Nelson quit on Cuban and now Carlisle's assistant coach just got a promotion to head coach with another team instead of at least getting a shot at Dallas Interim Head Coach.  This is dysfunction.  How is this different than the Celtics, you might ask?  HC Brad Stevens got promoted, he didn't quit the organization.  The new HC brought in some new assistant coaches, that's normal, but so far none of Brad Stevens' former assistant coaches have been offered new HC jobs elsewhere.  In other words, once the decision was made not to elevate any of the assistant coaches it was normal and expected that they'd not be part of Ime's staff next year.  They are now unemployed and looking for a new landing spot (and I wish them all well), but they aren't obvious HC candidates at this time. The next time you ask "wtf is Wyc doing?", because you don't understand something, just remember he isn't Mark Cuban.

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Report: Jamahl Mosley reaches deal to coach Orlando Magic Empty Re: Report: Jamahl Mosley reaches deal to coach Orlando Magic

Post by cowens/oldschool Sun Jul 11, 2021 1:29 pm

Wow, you just stating the facts says volumes of dysfunction in Dallas. I also like our roster better right now on paper than theirs.

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Report: Jamahl Mosley reaches deal to coach Orlando Magic Empty Re: Report: Jamahl Mosley reaches deal to coach Orlando Magic

Post by RosalieTCeltics Sun Jul 11, 2021 2:50 pm

Next to go is Porzingis????? He is very unhappy there, I wonder if they will be able to get him to stay. Luca is supposedly not happy with him
RosalieTCeltics
RosalieTCeltics

Back to top Go down

Post by Ktron Mon Jul 12, 2021 9:42 am

bobheckler wrote:https://www.yahoo.com/sports/report-jamahl-mosley-reaches-deal-152518755.html

Sun, July 11, 2021, 8:25 AM

Orlando reached agreement with Jamahl Mosley on a four-year deal to coach the Magic, according to ESPN.

It's the first head coaching job for the 42-year-old Mosley, who spent the past seven seasons as an assistant to Dallas Mavericks coach Rick Carlisle. He's also had stints as an assistant in Cleveland (2010-14) and Denver (2005-10).

The Magic had narrowed down their candidates to Mosley and Denver Nuggets assistant Wes Unseld Jr., who remains a leading candidate to take over the Washington Wizards, per the report.

The Magic and Steve Clifford mutually parted ways last month after finishing 21-51 in 2020-21. Clifford compiled a 96-131 record in three seasons in Orlando.

Due to a series of midseason trades, the Magic have entered a rebuilding mode. Orlando has two lottery picks in the 2021 NBA Draft and potentially $30 million in cap space to build a team around a young core of Cole Anthony, Mo Bamba, Wendell Carter Jr. and Chuma Okeke and returning starters Markelle Fultz and Jonathan Isaac, who both had season-ending injuries.

Mosley played collegiately at Colorado, averaging 11.4 points per game in 103 contests (79 starts) from 1997-2001.

Bob
MY NOTE:  HC Rick Carlisle quit on Cuban, GM Donny Nelson quit on Cuban and now Carlisle's assistant coach just got a promotion to head coach with another team instead of at least getting a shot at Dallas Interim Head Coach.  This is dysfunction.  How is this different than the Celtics, you might ask?  HC Brad Stevens got promoted, he didn't quit the organization.  The new HC brought in some new assistant coaches, that's normal, but so far none of Brad Stevens' former assistant coaches have been offered new HC jobs elsewhere.  In other words, once the decision was made not to elevate any of the assistant coaches it was normal and expected that they'd not be part of Ime's staff next year.  They are now unemployed and looking for a new landing spot (and I wish them all well), but they aren't obvious HC candidates at this time.  The next time you ask "wtf is Wyc doing?", because you don't understand something, just remember he isn't Mark Cuban.

Bob, I suggest you do a little more research on the Dallas situation. Neither Carlisle or Nelson “quit” on Cuban. That is so far from being factual that I’m turning red (not our Red) in embarrassment for someone like Bob H thats very knowledgeable about the game. Do you have Skip Bayless on speed dial? If so delete and block.
And, even if that were true, wtf (and i do have a clear understanding regarding Governor Grossbeck btw) does that have to to do with our team and Wycitt Pickett?  Cuban and Dallas’ issue are not even remotely similar to ours. I also still find it laughable that Brad got “promoted” after underperforming as a coach this season. Lawdy hep me!!!

Ktron

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Mon Jul 12, 2021 1:28 pm

correct the record

"They are now unemployed "

Jerome Allen got a job with Detroit

Report: Celtics assistant Jerome Allen to join Dwane Casey’s staff for the Detroit Pistons.

The Celtics had their own share of dysfunction last year.

What is the difference in leaving on your own or quitting? I guess the word quit sounds so much more negative than leaving on your own.

I would take Mark Cuban in a NY minute over our cheap ass owners. lol
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by RosalieTCeltics Mon Jul 12, 2021 3:48 pm

????? Cheap ass owners????? Where does all this come from? Unbelievable

RosalieTCeltics
RosalieTCeltics

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Mon Jul 12, 2021 6:38 pm

RosalieTCeltics wrote:????? Cheap ass owners?????  Where does all this come from?  Unbelievable

Rosalie that was a joke! Meaning, I was not being serious.

dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by Ktron Mon Jul 12, 2021 10:08 pm

Cmon dboss. You are wrong for that. Wyc and em are not cheap. Penny pinching Bargain hunting tightwads but Cheap? Uhh uhh :>)

Ktron

Back to top Go down

Post by RosalieTCeltics Mon Jul 12, 2021 11:31 pm

Dboss, glad to hear that. Anyone in that position is naturally going to try and be careful about their $$. We have seen the mistakes that overpaying can cause. I feel we are lucky to have Wyc, Steve and the rest as guardians of the Boston Celtics. Just think back to who they bought the club from

Still visiting in Boston??? So glad you finally got a chance to get up here and see your family.
RosalieTCeltics
RosalieTCeltics

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Tue Jul 13, 2021 11:44 am

RosalieTCeltics wrote:Dboss, glad to hear that.  Anyone in that position is naturally going to try and be careful about their $$. We have seen the mistakes that overpaying can cause. I feel we are lucky to have Wyc, Steve and the rest as guardians of the Boston Celtics. Just think back to who they bought the club from

Still visiting in Boston??? So glad you finally got a chance to get up here and see your family.

Hi Rosalie

I can be really, really funny if I try really, really hard.

The Celtics have been frugal with spending and that is no different than other teams.  They have publically stated a willingness to go above the tax line.  The caveat being that this team needs to be   a legit title contender.

That Caveat probably will define what they do over the summer with all the roster decisions that must be made.  

Stevens has already begun the reconstruction project.  It is not a rebuild but he is faced with the task of bringing about a better positional configuration while managing very limited financial flexibility.  The first task as I predicted was to move Kemba Walker.  Now they need to strengthen his position and do it at a reasonable cost.  The KW deal addressed one of our other major needs, adding quality center depth.  

I had a great time in Boston after having been away for 2 years.  Our grandson Allister just turned one and he was bundle of energy and inquisitiveness.
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by prakash Tue Jul 13, 2021 3:50 pm

Lets not praise Cuban just because he attends the games and jumps up and down.  All that helps promote his TV shows.

The Mavs are also a franchise that were accused of institutionalized sexual harassment.

If we are frustrated with where the Celts are, it doesn't mean that everything else is better!

prakash

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down