tjmakz
Sam
NYCelt
bigpygme
bobheckler
13 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Official Celtics Training Camp Thread Empty Official Celtics Training Camp Thread

Post by bobheckler Tue Sep 28, 2010 3:32 pm

Not really my place to do this, but I thought it'd be good to consolidate the array of stories coming out during this camp.

http://sports.espn.go.com/boston/nba/columns/story?columnist=forsberg_chris&id=5610422

http://www.celticstown.com/2010/09/27/nine-questions-for-training-camp/

http://www.patriotledger.com/sports/x1319753338/Boston-Celtics-are-happy-but-they-ve-got-lots-to-prove

http://www.bostoncelticsreport.com/2010/09/boston-celtics-von-wafer-needs-great-camp-to-keep-roster-spot.html/

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Official Celtics Training Camp Thread Empty Re: Official Celtics Training Camp Thread

Post by bobheckler Wed Sep 29, 2010 12:38 pm

Today's news:

KG looking good.
http://www.boston.com/sports/basketball/celtics/articles/2010/09/29/fresh_legs/?page=1

Doc runs their legs off.
http://www.bostonherald.com/sports/basketball/celtics/view.bg?articleid=1285094&srvc=next_article

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Official Celtics Training Camp Thread Empty Re: Official Celtics Training Camp Thread

Post by bigpygme Wed Sep 29, 2010 12:54 pm

thanks bob. (i don't know why you feel you're not the one to do this? i think it's perfect !! )

so far have read only the KG report, and WOW - what a spirit lifter !! this could be the best news of the upcoming season. KG is back to take on all comers !!
for instance, Gasol is a gifted, deft and dexterous talent, but having Kevin back to full strength could thwart Pau's moves to the rim, limiting his inside effectiveness and turning him into more of a harassed jump shooter than he's accustomed to. (obviously i'm looking back to LA as our most desired opponents.)
and with the O'Neal's helping at center, or perhaps sometimes Jermaine spelling KG (when BB doesn't, for whatever match-up reason), our front court is FORMIDABLE !!

Michael
bigpygme
bigpygme

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Wed Sep 29, 2010 1:17 pm

bigpygme wrote:thanks bob. (i don't know why you feel you're not the one to do this? i think it's perfect !! )

so far have read only the KG report, and WOW - what a spirit lifter !! this could be the best news of the upcoming season. KG is back to take on all comers !!
for instance, Gasol is a gifted, deft and dexterous talent, but having Kevin back to full strength could thwart Pau's moves to the rim, limiting his inside effectiveness and turning him into more of a harassed jump shooter than he's accustomed to. (obviously i'm looking back to LA as our most desired opponents.)
and with the O'Neal's helping at center, or perhaps sometimes Jermaine spelling KG (when BB doesn't, for whatever match-up reason), our front court is FORMIDABLE !!

Michael

Michael,

I felt it was not my place to start an "Official" thread. For something to be "official" there usually needs to be some authority backing it up and I am not a moderator, ergo...Not a big deal, I just don't want people to think I am one. The people who are the mods deserve all the credit for their work.

Perk comes back in February. Let's say he's not really back (as in having his timing and game back) until May. Holy Cow! We'll have Perk and Shaq at 5, KG and Jermaine O'Neal at 4 and Davis driving everybody crazy. That is one extremely loaded frontcourt.

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by bigpygme Wed Sep 29, 2010 1:28 pm

bobheckler wrote:
bigpygme wrote:thanks bob. (i don't know why you feel you're not the one to do this? i think it's perfect !! )

Michael

Michael,

I felt it was not my place to start an "Official" thread. For something to be "official" there usually needs to be some authority backing it up and I am not a moderator, ergo...Not a big deal, I just don't want people to think I am one. The people who are the mods deserve all the credit for their work.

Perk comes back in February. Let's say he's not really back (as in having his timing and game back) until May. Holy Cow! We'll have Perk and Shaq at 5, KG and Jermaine O'Neal at 4 and Davis driving everybody crazy. That is one extremely loaded frontcourt.

bob

ahhh, gotcha about not a mod, bob. big contributor to the spirit and content of the board, though, and i appreciate what you post.

in terms of front court, yes, i was thinking along the same lines. i just didn't (and don't) want to project too much by way of Perk's rehab, recovery and eventual return. very serious injury, as you and everyone well knows.
but if he CAN return and contribute as soon as this spring, then yes, we go from formidable to world-class up front !!

(and Shaq getting out on the fast break, as posted on the other thread ? now THAT'S scary !!! )

Michael
bigpygme
bigpygme

Back to top Go down

Post by NYCelt Wed Sep 29, 2010 1:36 pm

Bob,

Just a quick note on your comment about place and authority.

I should note that I can't speak for Sam or any other moderator or board member without exceeding my authority.

As members of a community of sorts, we all get to contribute what we can. Many of us have gotten to know one another over the years and those of us that do know you are aware that you're a consistently good neighbor and an active contributor. Therefore I would say that your idea to begin a consolidation of training camp stories was welcome and within the bounds of someone within our group starting a new topic. As a matter of fact we have encouraged this type of organization in the past.

In other words; good idea and good job.

Regards
NYCelt
NYCelt

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam Wed Sep 29, 2010 4:30 pm

Yeah, Bob. I can understand your concern, since we stand on such formality around here. I could easily add "authoritative" to NYCelt's list of adjectives for you. It would be difficult to imagine your doing anything on this board that would not be of great benefit to the board.

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

https://samcelt.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Wed Sep 29, 2010 4:55 pm

Perk wants to remain a Celtic and says his knee is ahead of schedule.

http://www.boston.com/sports/basketball/celtics/extras/celtics_blog/

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Thu Sep 30, 2010 11:32 am

Thursday news:

Harangody realizes he's "not in Kansas anymore, Toto".
http://www.boston.com/sports/basketball/celtics/articles/2010/09/30/rookie_harangody_is_learning_the_drill_with_the_celtics/

More on Luke.
http://boston.sbnation.com/boston-celtics/2010/9/29/1718968/luke-harangody-celtics-rookie

Marquis feeling good despite imploding last year.
http://www.bostonherald.com/sports/basketball/celtics/view/20100930marquis_daniels_looks_to_regain_old_form_proving_himself_again/

Delonte runs some of our plays better than guys who were here last year.
http://www.bostonherald.com/sports/basketball/celtics/view.bg?articleid=1285377&srvc=next_article

Shaq names the Celtic bench, BBM (Boston Bench Mob).
http://www.bostonherald.com/sports/basketball/celtics/view.bg?articleid=1285376&srvc=next_article

Bleacher Report puts Davis in his place.
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/477155-nba-2010-preview-5-reasons-the-boston-celtics-glen-davis-should-stop-whining#page/1

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Thu Sep 30, 2010 6:09 pm

This from the Globe blog:

In the Big Three Era, the Celtics have racked up almost twice as many technical fouls as wins, and coach Doc Rivers said that with the league planning to tighten its guidelines for techs this season, the C's will likely be looking to set the record.

"We’re going to go for it," Rivers said, joking. "Last year we fell short of the technical record. This year we’re going to go head out this year. You’ve got to have a goal right?"

The snag of course is that they're two biggest offenders here -- Rasheed Wallace and Kendrick Perkins -- will both be out of the fold. Wallace is retired and Perkins will miss at least the first half of the season rehabbing a torn ACL.

"It’s going to be tough," Rivers said. "Think about it: We won’t have Perk or Rasheed for the first half. So I don’t know how we’re going to set it, but we’re going to have to work on it somehow."

After letting the sarcasm fly, Rivers gave the changes serious consideration.

"Listen, the game is played with emotion, all right," Rivers said. "That doesn’t mean it has to be negative emotion. But it is an emotional game. I just want the officials to just see what they call and call what they see. They can’t dehumanize the game. I do think our officials are good enough to know -- even on some of the the things that they say they’re going to call every time -- they know the difference when the guy is more upset at himself that he is upset at the official.

"We can’t get so caught up in the aesthetics of the game that it takes away from the actual basketball. I think fans would be more of upset if we’re calling certain technicals and now the game is being stopped."

GARNETT TALKS CHEMISTRY

The laugh of the day was brought to you by Nate Robinson.

Most of the players were sitting on the sideline shooting the breeze at the end of practice, when comedy decided to break out. Robinson decided to put on Shaq's shoes and run suicides. It looked like his feet were in cinder blocks.

"They are heavier than bricks, way heavier," Robinson said of the size-22's. "They said 30 seconds [to run the suicide], but I don't think they were counting for real. I think that'd be a good punishment. Guys gotta run in Shaq shoes if you don't do something right."

Robinson then played some one-on-one with Delonte West. The whole time, Kevin Garnett and Paul Pierce were shooting video on their phones.

Garnett, abnormally giddy these days, could barely keep himself from cracking up.

"The chemistry is very good," he said. "It’s a zoo around here. But we’re getting some work done at the same time."

So far, there's been a lot of (good) chaos and Robinson's been behind it all, pulling pranks on teammates and posting photos of them all on Twitter. The personalities are meshing.

"Believe it or not, the personality that we have, it’s a loose environment around here until we hit the floor," Garnett said. "That’s where it all breaks loose. Very competitive. What I love about Doc is that he doesn’t mind us being competitive as long as we don’t go off on our own and practice doesn’t become a tropical storm. But he lets us be who we are and it does get testy and very competitive in here. but he lets us go as long as we’re getting something done and our goals are met for the day."

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Thu Sep 30, 2010 6:33 pm

This from AP, by way of ESPN:

http://sports.espn.go.com/boston/nba/news/story?id=5634327

Ray Allen counting on Celtics' big men - Associated Press

NEWPORT, R.I. -- Boston Celtics guard Ray Allen may have even more space to get off his textbook jumper.

The performance could have been a personal shooting video except that it happened in the spotlight of the last spring's NBA Finals: Allen twists and turns away from defenders, coming off screens on both sides of the floor, before hitting a record eight 3-pointers against the Los Angeles Lakers in Game 2.

Now, the team's sharpshooter will likely have more opportunities with the Big Diesel and Glen "Big Baby" Davis -- two very large men -- setting picks to free up one of the league's most prolific shooters.

Celtics coach Doc Rivers knows that 7-foot-1, 325-pound Shaquille O'Neal and the 6-9, 295-pound Davis provide a sizable addition to help the player that trigger's Boston's outside game.

"We're way bigger," Allen said Thursday at the team's training camp at Salve Regina University, nestled among Newport's famed mansions.

Like those mansions that line the streets where the Celtics are preparing to defend their Eastern Conference title, Boston's front line looms large. It's something that should benefit a player like Allen, who can carry Boston's offense for stretches.

"The problem is can we can't see through those screens," Rivers said, joking. "They'll be great. The great thing about setting screens for Shaq alone is every team in the NBA that has played against Shaq: You're taught never to get off his side. Everybody tries to trap Ray off the screen. If you come off Shaq's body, you're releasing Shaq to the rim."

Otherwise, it'll take a player bit longer to get around Shaq's frame to double-team Allen.

But Allen, who has connected on nearly 2,500 shots from beyond the arc in his career, knows the team has other big men that can free up space for his seemingly flawless jumper.

"I don't think it's just Baby and Shaq," he said. "There's Jermaine (O'Neal) out there. Kevin (Garnett). The bigs. We have pretty good depth in our front court."

Boston also signed Jermaine O'Neal during the offseason for added depth when center Kendrick Perkins was lost in Game 6 of the finals with a knee injury. It's expected to sideline Perkins until January.

But it's the larger O'Neal -- Shaquille -- who could be a key in opening up room for Allen's jumper late in games. It's something he's done for Kobe Bryant and LeBron James.

"I love it. I've always had great shooters with me. I get them open. They get me open," Shaq said. "Teams have to pick their poison. We can have Ray come off one side and Paul (Pierce) come off the other side. That's kind of a luxury."

Shaq knows that having too many scorers on the floor can beat a team, especially after the Celtics upset his then-Cavaliers teammates in six games in the second round last season.

Allen, a career 41-percent shooter on 3s in the postseason, could have gone elsewhere, but resigned -- along with Pierce -- with Boston during the offseason. Now he's hoping to find room in a place he's been comfortable.

"I want to look up and have guys I can count on every single night. I have a chance to be a part of something special," he said. "You just don't give up a great situation. You have great teammates. Selfishly, I could have gone somewhere and put up a lot more shots and possibly had a great chance of making a couple of all-star teams."

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Thu Sep 30, 2010 6:59 pm

This from the Providence Journal:

Celtics look to restore defensive dominance

http://www.projo.com/celtics/content/Celtics_Doc_Rivers_Shaq_Garnett__10-01-10_TQK_v3.12bb4da.html

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by tjmakz Thu Sep 30, 2010 7:08 pm

Video of Nate wearing Shaq's sneakers:

http://www.csnne.com/09/30/10/Celtics-Robinson-getting-serious-about-h/v1_landing_celtics.html?blockID=321970&feedID=3945
tjmakz
tjmakz

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Thu Sep 30, 2010 7:11 pm

Chris Forsberg posted this on twitter with the caption:

Empty gym, bus is gone ... Delonte West won't stop shooting ...

And then Woj tweets:

In both my days at Celtics camp this week, the last player still in gym getting up his shots: Delonte West.

Delonte is getting after it, folks. He's serious about this. Paging Von Wafer... where have you been? Any other guys on the cusp? Where are you? If i was on this team, I wouldn't leave till Delonte left. I'd pack lunches. Wanna sleep here?? Fine... I'll see you right here in the morning, son.

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Thu Sep 30, 2010 7:14 pm

tjmakz wrote:Video of Nate wearing Shaq's sneakers:

http://www.csnne.com/09/30/10/Celtics-Robinson-getting-serious-about-h/v1_landing_celtics.html?blockID=321970&feedID=3945

TJ,

That is too f-in funny!

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by pete Thu Sep 30, 2010 7:43 pm

bob,

Ditto to NY & Sam's posts.

Pete
pete
pete

Back to top Go down

Post by Matty Thu Sep 30, 2010 7:44 pm

tjmakz wrote:Video of Nate wearing Shaq's sneakers:

this was funny & seeing everyone enjoying the show was hilarios!
Matty
Matty

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam Fri Oct 01, 2010 2:13 am

The look on Doc's face seemed to say, "Get used to this, baby. These guys are just brimming over with confidence and desire."

This Celtics team may set some kind of record in one respect. Virtually every guy on the team has unusually strong motivation to win this season. Think about it.

KG; Prove the knee's okay and KG is KG once again.
PP: Atone for a butt-kicking by Artest
RA: Atone for his shooting when the chips were down in the recent finals
RR: Prove that he's the whole package
JO: Show that his disappearing act in the past playoffs was a fluke
SO: Kobe, Kobe, Kobe
MQ: Prove he can play an entire season at an elevated level to back up PP
VW: Prove he's for real as an impact NBA player
GD: Demonstrate that he can add with his versatility without subtracting with
his petulance
NR: Prove he can actually run a bench, not just run and shoot
KP: Prove he deserves to start over two pretty darned good centers
DW: Break through as a key player without baggage
LH: Prove he can play NBA power forward
AB: Parlay his defense into NBA minutes
SE: Prove he belongs in the NBA
TG: Possibly beat out one of the above

A lot of past Celtics teams have seen team-wide motivation trickle down to individual motivation. This team could be the opposite, although they seem to have a pretty good head start on the team thing too.

Would anyone want to have the book rights IF (a HUGE "IF") this team could possibly go all the way?

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

https://samcelt.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Post by MDCelticsFan Fri Oct 01, 2010 8:31 am

I can't believe Garnett has his explosiveness back and is getting up and down the court in practice and has what is resembling his lift back from bygone days. I was all set to chalk this year's team up to victims of age. However, this news coupled with the news that Perk is recovering ahead of schedule makes me think this year's team will be better than last year's team. Delonte can score and brings energy. If the C's could pick up a bonafide "3" off the bench to spell Pierce, that would be awesome. If the season were a poker game, I think we'd have much more than openers, and if good health prevails, we'd be able to call or raise Miami and the rest of the East, and perhaps the West's Best come May & June of 2011-MD

MDCelticsFan

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Fri Oct 01, 2010 12:06 pm

Ray Allen thought the Celtics were too good to leave, even for more money and more shots. God, I love him. What a pro.
http://www.boston.com/sports/basketball/celtics/articles/2010/10/01/allen_feeling_balanced/?page=1

Shaq loves Doc's late practices. This was talked about last season and is why Doc is a favorite of veteran players.
http://www.bostonherald.com/sports/basketball/celtics/view/20101001later_practices_a_refreshing_change_for_shaq/

bob

bob
bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by swedeinestonia Fri Oct 01, 2010 12:42 pm

http://www.twitvid.com/NJD53

Nate having some fun with Shaq Very Happy
swedeinestonia
swedeinestonia

Back to top Go down

Post by sinus007 Fri Oct 01, 2010 1:49 pm

Hi,
There're 16 players on the roster. I wonder who's going to be a gonner come Oct. 26: RR, KG or PP?
Just kidding... My "usual suspects" are SE and Gaffney.
Are they going with full roster or leave 1 spot reserved for later acquisition?
Any thoughts? Or is it too early?

AK
sinus007
sinus007

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Fri Oct 01, 2010 1:58 pm

5-JO, SO, SE, KP
4-KG, GD, LH
3-PP, MD, TG
2-RA, DW, VW, AB
1-RR, NR

My guess, as of today, will be that AB will start the season on the IR. Even if he's healthy, he will have missed most if not all of training camp and pre-season, so he'll be behind in his learning curve. When he's considered ready to play (not just physically, but know and execute plays instinctively) it'll be Von Wafer or Tony Gaffney who'll go.

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Fri Oct 01, 2010 1:59 pm

Oops, update to last post, you can't carry 16 even with IR. So, it'll be Gaffney or Von Wafer.

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Fri Oct 01, 2010 3:53 pm

Chris Johnson and Jamar Smith have been waived by the Celtics.

Not exactly a shockeroo.

You'll love Maine, guys.

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next