2023-2024 Training Camp & Preseason Thread

+3
dbrown4
gyso
bobheckler
7 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

2023-2024 Training Camp & Preseason Thread Empty 2023-2024 Training Camp & Preseason Thread

Post by bobheckler Tue Oct 03, 2023 6:39 pm

Media Day is over.  We just signed another player today, a 7' center, to a camp contract.  I'll add him when I know his number.

Players in bold are under contract and, in my opinion, likely to make the club.  Luke's under contract but it is non-guaranteed.  However, until someone proves otherwise to me I'm convinced he's going to make the club and so he's in bold too.

0 - Jayson Tatum
4 - Jrue Holiday
7 - Jaylen Brown
8 - Kristaps Porzingis
9 - Derrick White
11-  Payton Pritchard
12 - Oshae Brissett

13 - Wenyan Gabriel
20 - JD Davison (2-way)
26 - DJ Steward
27 - Jordan Walsh
30 - Sam Hauser
40 - Luke Kornet
42 - Al Horford
45 - Dalano Banton
50 - Svi Mykhailiuk

55 - Jay Scrubb (2-way)
77 - Lamar Stevens
88 - Neemias Queta (2-way)

Bob

Last edited by bobheckler on Tue Oct 03, 2023 9:13 pm; edited 1 time in total
bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

2023-2024 Training Camp & Preseason Thread Empty Re: 2023-2024 Training Camp & Preseason Thread

Post by bobheckler Tue Oct 03, 2023 9:13 pm

Bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

2023-2024 Training Camp & Preseason Thread Empty Re: 2023-2024 Training Camp & Preseason Thread

Post by bobheckler Tue Oct 03, 2023 10:14 pm

Brian Robb @BrianTRobb
about 33 minutes ago
The Jrue Holiday trade to Celtics is now official I'm told with all parties passing their physicals. The All-Star guard will have his first practice with C's tomorrow.

Bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by gyso Tue Oct 03, 2023 11:33 pm

Celtics Pre-season Roster by the Contracts:

Guaranteed:

0 - Jayson Tatum, PF
4 - Jrue Holiday, PG
7 - Jaylen Brown, SF
8 - Kristaps Porzingis, PF
9 - Derrick White, PG
11-  Payton Pritchard, SG
12 - Oshae Brissett, SF
27 - Jordan Walsh, SF
30 - Sam Hauser, SF
42 - Al Horford, C

Non-Guaranteed: (fully guaranteed on 1/10/24)

40 - Luke Kornet, C

Partially-Guaranteed ($200,000): (fully guaranteed on 1/10/24)

45 - Dalano Banton, PG (2-Year contract, 2nd year Club Option)
50 - Svi Mykhailiuk, SG (1-Year contract)

Two-Way Contracts:

20 - JD Davison, PG
55 - Jay Scrubb, SG
88 - Neemias Queta, C

Exhibit 9 - Exhibit 10 Contracts:

Lamar Stevens, SF
Kylor Kelly, C

To Be Determined:

13 - Wenyan Gabriel, C

Signed, Waived and headed to Maine:

DJ Steward, PG
Brandon Slater, PF
Jordan Schakel, SG
Taylor Funk, PF

Back to top Go down

Post by dbrown4 Wed Oct 04, 2023 8:39 am

Looks like in the first video, DW went from all hair last season to no hair over the summer! Decided to mix it up a little! Looks good either way.

db
dbrown4
dbrown4

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Wed Oct 04, 2023 12:01 pm

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/woj-james-harden-looking-sixers-003323431.html

Woj: James Harden looking to make Sixers uncomfortable at camp

Ky Carlin

Tue, October 3, 2023 at 5:33 PM PDT·1 min read

The Philadelphia 76ers got to work at Colorado State University on Tuesday to begin training camp for the 2023-24 season. The Sixers went to work without James Harden who still would like to be traded, but he is expected to attend camp maybe as early as Wednesday.

Harden still has his eyes on the Los Angeles Clippers. However, the Clippers are just not offering the Sixers anything worth moving an elite playmaker for. Despite being on the downside of his career, Harden still averaged 21.0 points and 10.7 assists in 2022-23.

ESPN’s Adrian Wojnarowski reported on “NBA Today” that Harden is ready to make the Sixers uncomfortable in order to get his way:

He wants to make the 76ers uncomfortable. So uncomfortable, ultimately, they don’t think they’ll get the best out of him and that they’ll make a trade. The Sixers, on the other hand, they want to wait this out and hope they get the best James Harden, the best version of him sooner than later, but the Sixers’ stance has been all along, there’s not a deal out there right now that gets us back the kind of assets we need to improve this team.

The Sixers should remain patient. President of Basketball Operations Daryl Morey has shown his patience in the past in the Ben Simmons saga. His patience allowed Philadelphia to grab Harden from the Brooklyn Nets. Now, Morey will have to do the same in this situation in order to get the value he believes Harden is worth.

Bob
MY NOTE:  There, but for the Grace of Red, go us.  The one I feel sorry for is Embiid.  Nobody gives more on that team than him.  He is, and has been for years now, carrying that team single-handedly.  If Morey thinks he's going to pry Kawhi or PG13 out of LA for Harden he needs to up his meds.  If The Beard thinks the Clippers will give up either of those players for him he needs to up his meds too. Norman Powell makes $18M and is under contract for 2 more years after this one, Harden makes 35.6M and this is his last contract year.  So, not only would Powell-for-Harden not work straight up from a $ perspective, the Clips would have to give up more players, why would you make such a deal if you're the Clips unless you saw Harden as the finishing piece for a Championship run?  The Clippers was 44-38 last season, 5th in the WC.  They weren't even good enough for a playoff home court series.  Their pre-season Championship odds are +2200 (for perspective, the Celtics and Bucks are tied for #1 @ +180).  You'd have to be certifiable to think 34 year old James Harden is going to do it for you.

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by gyso Wed Oct 04, 2023 12:18 pm

Bob,

Maybe the owners won't cater to the "star's" demands any longer.

Portland, when Dame tried to force his way to the Heat and the Heat offered junk, didn't blink. They ignored the Heat and looked elsewhere.

After the Dame to the Bucks trade, Portland continued to ignore the Heat during the Jrue Holiday sweepstakes.

Harden is rancid, like past-due milk due to his entitlement. Philly will be lucky to get much in return, maybe at the trade deadline. It is going to be a long season for that team.

Back to top Go down

Post by dbrown4 Wed Oct 04, 2023 5:01 pm

Well, I've beat this dead horse on Harden.  Great player, can't close.  Hence, he'll retire empty handed from the league at some point soon, if getting a title is what he wants.  

I can hear the carnival barker now..."Shave the Beard, Win a Title!"

Hard heads make sore asses as well.

And last but certainly not least, never for get the Golden Rule, James. He who has the gold, makes the rules.  

db
dbrown4
dbrown4

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Wed Oct 04, 2023 5:40 pm

Bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by bobc33 Wed Oct 04, 2023 7:23 pm

Just catching some clips on TV and Drue’s press conference with the big brass. I think it was Wyc who said it reminds him of 2008 and the vibe was very good.

I’m looking forward to this season!!!

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Thu Oct 05, 2023 2:08 pm

Sam Cassell is LOUDER than Grant? Whoa.

Bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Thu Oct 05, 2023 2:15 pm

Bobby Manning @RealBobManning
56 minutes ago
Mazzulla indicated today that zone defense could be one of the #Celtics’ ‘curveballs,’ but using it in summer league was more about trying and gathering data on different things.

Jay King
Jay King @ByJayKing
about 1 hour ago
Jordan Walsh: “Jrue is so strong. Like, crazy strong.” Walsh pointed out how well Holiday controls the offensive player while on defense.

Jay King @ByJayKing
about 48 minutes ago
Joe Mazzulla has emphasized Kristaps Porzingis’ defensive versatility a number of times so far throughout the early part of training camp. Certainly sounds like the Celtics don’t see him just as a paint-bound rim protector.

Jared Weiss @JaredWeissNBA
about 48 minutes ago
Jayson Tatum was asked how much Joe Mazzulla has been talking about defense so far. “A lot more than last year, thanks to you guys.”

about 11 minutes ago
What are Charles Lee's responsibilities on Joe Mazzulla's staff? Mazzulla: "Responsibilities? Babysit me."

about 11 minutes ago
What are Charles Lee's responsibilities on Joe Mazzulla's staff? Mazzulla: "Responsibilities? Babysit me."

Bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Thu Oct 05, 2023 9:14 pm

I am guessing that Weyen makes the 15 man roster because we have added enough wings and the center spot appears to be a position of need.  Kylor Kelly, C, has already been waived and  Neemias Queta, C is on a 2-way deal.

Playing zone defenses is really nothing new.  All NBA teams play some zone.  Perhaps CJ is thinking about using it more.

The roster is just about set unless a late addition kicks someone off the team.

Brad will be in a wait and see mode to identify if they really need to add a player.  there should be no rush to judgment because CJ has to nail down  roles for his players and rotations.  That will take some time.
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Thu Oct 05, 2023 9:29 pm

https://www.nba.com/celtics/news/sidebar-prac-20231005-celtics-inspired-by-pierces-presence-at-camp

Celtics Inspired by Pierce's Presence at Camp

Taylor Snow

Sr. Writer

October 5, 20234:51 PM EDT

BOSTON – Paul Pierce, Eddie House, and Sam Cassell took over a corner of the Auerbach Center gym following Thursday’s practice to engage in a vintage shooting contest. The net was swishing, the trash talk was flowing, and the competition was in full force like it was 2008 all over again.

Some of Boston’s current players looked on from the sideline, appreciating the intensity that still existed among the trio, laughing at the hilarity of their persistent verbal jabs, and being inspired by the lasting bond between former teammates – former champions.

This is exactly the type of scenario that Joe Mazzulla envisioned this summer when he got in touch with several former Celtics, including Pierce, extending an open invitation to be around the team this season. Boston’s second-year head coach hopes to mesh the old with the new, “to build a brotherhood,” and to a create family-like environment spanning across all generations of Celtics, knowing that all good things are built out of love.

Pierce sees Mazzulla’s vision and is all on board. He remembers the impact of having Celtics Legends around throughout his playing days and now wants to help carry that torch forward.

“I think that's what it should be all about,” Pierce said Thursday afternoon. “It’s always been that way since I've been in the organization, and I love that Joe has reached out to me and some of the other guys to be around more and not only just coming to the games, but coming to practice, you know, you can travel with the team and be around the team a little bit more because that's how it was when I played. Every time I looked up, Tommy Heinsohn, he was always there. And then we look up and see John Halivcek, Bill Russell, (Bob) Cousy. It just brought a certain energy to the building whenever I saw those guys in practice or at the game. So I think it kind of continues the brotherhood. It's all part of our culture and that is something that the Celtics have always been about.”

Along with Pierce, House, and Cassell (now a C’s assistant coach), former champions Leon Powe and Satch Sanders have also been out at Auerbach Center this week. A bunch of current players, including Jayson Tatum, seem to appreciate the growing presence of alumni.

“It’s great having the older guys around,” Tatum said. “Just their presence and being around, being able to talk to them, being able to see them, it’s great.”

Tatum has particularly latched onto Pierce of late. The pair spent four consecutive weeks over the summer working out together in Los Angeles. Iron sharpened iron throughout that month, as Pierce dropped 15-20 pounds, all while Tatum soaked in his mentor’s wisdom.

“He came to the gym every day,” said Tatum. “It was cool to have him around. He told us a lot of stories about the championship team, a lot of things we’ll try to help apply to this year.”

Pierce says that he has already seen some similarities between this team and the ’08 team, notably the high level of focus that the guys have come into camp with.

“It's the intensity,” Pierce recognized. “These guys are coming in with high expectations and they understand that. And you can see it. Guys are getting here early. I mean, the practices are intense, you can see how hard they're going. Not as much talking as our team. We had a loud team. But you can just see in the habits before, during and after, you see guys getting extra shots up in the room, you can just feel it in the air.”

Pierce wants to keep that feeling in the air for the foreseeable future. Although he may no longer be able to contribute on the court (outside of the occasional shooting competition with his ’08 crew), his presence alone is enough to inspire.

So, who else wants to join in on the journey?

Bob
MY NOTE:  Oh, PLEASE, could KG show up and drop some F-bombs?!!  Now that he and Ray have reconciled how about that Big 3 stand there together in front of this team and blow their flipping minds. I know Larry and Kevin don't do this type of thing much but, oh my, can you imagine?

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Thu Oct 05, 2023 9:37 pm

about 5 hours ago
Asked Tatum today on how often he sees Jrue Holiday taking some of the ball-handling duties off his plate: "He's the lead guard on a championship team two years ago. He's a point guard, one of the best that we have in this league, so he's just gonna take the pressure off" pic.twitter.com/ekXpgXV2RD
MY NOTE:  This makes me happy.  I do NOT want Tatum to be the primary ball handler in the half court.

Bobby Manning
6 hours ago
First Jrue Holiday impressions from Jordan Walsh today: "How he controls the guy on offense by controlling his hip ... Jrue's so strong. He's crazy strong, so it's hard to move him ... I'm trying to get that strength and that mentality too." pic.twitter.com/Zk0IEgCIyy

Bobby Manning
about 6 hours ago
Jordan Walsh told me he's working with the #Celtics' two-way players in scrimmages so far, if that's any early indication.
MY NOTE:  Hmmm, it does a little.  It says to me that he's not being looked at as a rotation player out of the gate, which is probably pretty fair and reasonable.  Hell, he was a 2nd round pick.  He should be tickled pink he's on the team and not on a camp contract or two-way, since that's where most 2nd rounders at least start (see Davison, JD).  Let's face it, if he can't dominate players who aren't on the team he sure isn't going to be able to dominate the players who are on it.  And his comment about how "crazy strong" Jrue is tells me he needs to spend most of this year in the gym pushing iron around.  Yes, Jrue is very strong, we saw him posting up players last year, including Smart for pete's sake, and that requires a lot of strength but Walsh is bigger than Smart.  Not stronger though, apparently, and that needs to be improved upon. The addition of Lamar means the need to bring Jordan Walsh along quickly has diminished.

Bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Thu Oct 05, 2023 9:50 pm

John Karalis @John_Karalis
about 16 minutes ago
Al Horford relays a story of when he was in Atlanta and they eliminated Boston in the playoffs when a fan yelled down at him.... he looked up.... and the fan says "you're still the Atlanta Hawks"

Bob
MY NOTE:  LMAO

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Fri Oct 06, 2023 1:07 pm

So much for vegetarians not having the musculature necessary to be professional athletes...

Bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Fri Oct 06, 2023 8:53 pm

Wow!! Just wanted to say love Pierces comments about having the other greats around all the time, Tommy, Hondo, Russell, Cooz….what a blessing. GREAT!!!!

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Sat Oct 07, 2023 12:02 pm

Our first preseason game, vs the Sixers, is tomorrow @ 6pm EDT, 3pm PDT.

There will be a pregame parade, complete with a James Harden blimp on the layup line.

Bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by RosalieTCeltics Sat Oct 07, 2023 1:00 pm

It is just too hard to take anything about Harden seriously. He truly has become a thorn in their side, this disfunction will catch up and Morey will have to dump him some where. At this point, I cannot imagine anyone wanting him. Watch the booing that takes place first game out. Fans have long memories, they will not forget or forgive Harden for not showing up for that seventh game against us last year. It is worse than what has become of Russell Westbrook, at least he tries out there and does play defense. Fatso does nothing but want to be the hero. Ugly, this is going to be ugly
RosalieTCeltics
RosalieTCeltics

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Sat Oct 07, 2023 1:33 pm

1 minute ago
Joe Mazzulla on backup center: "It starts with Luke. I thought Luke really did a great job last year. I think he’s an underrated player & I don’t think people realize how effective he is. He’s a guy that’s always in the right spot defensively (and) makes the right play."

about 26 minutes ago
Sam Hauser said this year, Payton Pritchard is “Out for blood.”

about 35 minutes ago
Joe Mazzulla said he thought about starting someone completely random just to throw us all off but got talked out of it. Warned not to read into the lineups he uses in the preseason opener tomorrow. Key players are expected to get light minutes.

Bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Sat Oct 07, 2023 1:53 pm

Jay King @ByJayKing
about 6 minutes ago
Sam Hauser on training camp: "The energy level, the competitiveness level, the intensity is all higher than it was last year. So I think everybody’s bringing the best out of each other and that’s what you want out of camp."

Bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by bobc33 Sat Oct 07, 2023 2:37 pm

bobheckler wrote:Jay King @ByJayKing
about 6 minutes ago
Sam Hauser on training camp: "The energy level, the competitiveness level, the intensity is all higher than it was last year. So I think everybody’s bringing the best out of each other and that’s what you want out of camp."

Bob

The vibe is there this year, much more than any year since 2008-11. Can’t wait for the playoffs……ok can’t wait for the regular season…….oh all right can’t wait for the preseason! Enjoy the ride!!

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Wed Oct 11, 2023 9:41 am

In non-Celtic preseason news:

5 minutes into his season debut with the Houston Rockets Dillon Brooks is ejected for punching Theis in the jewels.

Bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Fri Oct 13, 2023 7:24 pm

Bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next