Evan Turner won’t be back as an assistant for the Celtics, but he enjoyed his time with the team

Go down

Evan Turner won’t be back as an assistant for the Celtics, but he enjoyed his time with the team Empty Evan Turner won’t be back as an assistant for the Celtics, but he enjoyed his time with the team

Post by bobheckler Wed Jul 28, 2021 12:40 pm

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/evan-turner-won-t-back-153846331.html

Evan Turner won’t be back as an assistant for the Celtics, but he enjoyed his time with the team

Justin Quinn
Tue, July 27, 2021, 8:38 AM

The second Evan Turner era of the Boston Celtics was a brief one, with Forbes Sports’ Chris Grenham writing that the former Celtics player turned assistant coach is among those on Boston’s coaching staff not making the cut for new head coach Ime Udoka’s staff of assistants.

“I was going back to a place I was very fond of,” Turner said of his return to the Celtics in a recent interview with Grenham. “I had good memories in Boston.” A fan favorite in his time as a player, and a media favorite for his postgame comments, Turner was excited for his “super-duper internship” in assistant coaching at the start of the 2020-21 season.

But fate had other plans for Turner, with his comparatively short tenure as a Celtics assistant ended by the tumult in an otherwise amazingly stable front office erasing his position with the team.

Turner still learned a lot in that time, and found a lot of respect for those on the side of the clipboard he now occupies.

"I thought it was a great experience to go behind the scenes and see what coaches have to do every single day ... I definitely gained a lot more respect for my coaches because as a player, we would be there two to three hours."

"They’re there for like 14, 15 hours a day trying to prepare and get us ready for the game," he explained.

"One thing that shocks you is the preparation part," Turner observed. "It’s a completely different work schedule. It’s not like a 9-to-5." "You might be in the gym three or four hours before practice and then breaking down film and watching what happened after the game for two or three hours. It’s really a never-ending thing and there are really no off days." "It’s really a dark side. It’s a grind," he related, while praising his time in the role almost in the same breath. "I couldn’t have chosen a better group to come in and be a part of. It was super cool."

What's next for Turner? "Just waiting for opportunity," he suggested. "I think right now, obviously, I have time to make the choice and make the right decision on what I want to do." "But [I] definitely something to stay close to the game, whether it is in a front office or even playing again," he added. "I’m just keeping all options open right now."

Bob
MY NOTE:  We need a veteran point guard?  Cue Ben Stein saying "Turner?  Turner?  Turner?"

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down