dboss
gyso
willjr
12 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Celtics acquire Josh Richardson  Empty Celtics acquire Josh Richardson

Post by willjr Fri Jul 30, 2021 8:39 pm

https://www.masslive.com/celtics/2021/07/boston-celtics-trade-for-josh-richardson-from-mavericks-report.html
willjr
willjr

Back to top Go down

Celtics acquire Josh Richardson  Empty Re: Celtics acquire Josh Richardson

Post by gyso Fri Jul 30, 2021 8:42 pm

Busy day!

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Fri Jul 30, 2021 8:43 pm

Wow

This looks like a do not keep EF move.

Or maybe they are acquiring assets for a "big" trade. If they plan on keeping EF why use the big TPE on Richardson?
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by RosalieTCeltics Fri Jul 30, 2021 9:15 pm

Read Keith Smith report . These are all moves that were done to stay in 2020-21 cap before the “new season” starts in August. Haywards exception had to be used by August ?? Same with Kanter exception.

It looks like expiring contracts so that they will be making cap space for next year?? A lot of fiddling and diddling going on . I see Mike Zarren’s hand in here when it comes to all this cap maneuvering.
RosalieTCeltics
RosalieTCeltics

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Fri Jul 30, 2021 10:34 pm

Richardson can play, can do a little bit of everything, good defender, he will compete for minutes at the 2 with RL and AN.

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by Ktron Fri Jul 30, 2021 10:57 pm

Hmmm. Hope it helps

Ktron

Back to top Go down

Post by prakash Sat Jul 31, 2021 1:28 am

Ktron wrote:Hmmm. Hope it helps

LOL!

prakash

Back to top Go down

Post by Shamrock1000 Sat Jul 31, 2021 10:21 am

If Fournier re-signs, does this essentially mean Danny and Brad got Fournier and Richardson for Gordon?

Shamrock1000

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Sat Jul 31, 2021 10:58 am

Was just looking at Bruno’s highlights from Thomas K, he can play alittle, does a lot more big man things in the paint than Semi/Grant; like finish with authority and block shots, can run the floor alittle. He could get 10 minutes a game as a back up 4 and small ball 5.

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Sat Jul 31, 2021 11:05 am

One thing I think we can all agree on is that Brad Stevens isn't sleeping on the job.  He is bringing the same level of effort to his new job as he brought to his last one.  Not surprising, that's who he is and that is one of the reason why players like him.  He's genuine and he works his butt off just like them.

I just want to take a moment to applaud Brad for really getting on the stick and getting something for those expiring TPEs.  TPEs typically expire unused, bigger TPEs are more likely to be partially used while the smaller ones often not at all.  That's why, when I hear about a trade that produces a TPE, I often ignore the TPE part of it and just look at the players that are on the move.  We don't have a final scorecard yet but if Brad resigns Fournier then we will have gotten Fournier and Josh Richardson for Hayward (Danny deserves credit for getting Fournier, Brad if he resigns him).  That's making lemonade out of a giant lemon.  Kris Dunn for Enes Kanter (who was leaving anyway) is also good work.  Also, we now have a $9M brand-new TPE with 360+ days left on it.  As I said I'm not going to read too much into that but bigger TPEs are more utile than small ones and you can get a pretty decent role player for $9M.

Josh Richardson is on the last year of his contract (he just exercised his player option).  Bruno Fernando, who is coming to us from Atlanta, has one more year left (we can keep him with a QO, or not not extend the QO and let him go).  Kris Dunn, the bigger piece in the Atlanta trade, is in his final contract year.  Are you seeing a pattern here?  A lot of expiring, or non-renewable, contracts.

Richardson will be 28 on September 15th and is a 6 year NBA veteran.  These are his Goldilocks Years; not too young and not too old.  Not his best year last year, in fact it was perhaps his worst, but he's a solid player.  He's a good defender, more that than a scorer.  

Richardson's 6'5".  Dunn is 6'3".  When you add in that we also have Nesmith at 6'5" that's a lot of depth at wing behind the obvious starters of 6'3" Smart and 6'6"Brown (even if you don't include Smart as a wing that's still good depth).  And that doesn't even include 6'7" Fournier.  

Here is the roster of players we have under fully guaranteed contracts for next year, so far and as of right now:

Marcus Smart
Jaylen Brown
Jayson Tatum
Payton Pritchard
Aaron Nesmith
Josh Richardson
Al Horford
Moses Brown
Robert Williams
Grant Williams
Romeo Langford
Carsen Edwards
Kris Dunn
Bruno Fernando

By Position

Ball Handler - Smart, Pritchard, Dunn, Edwards
Wing - Brown, Tatum, Richardson, Langford, Nesmith
Big - RWilliams, Horford, Brown, GWilliams, Fernando

Bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Sat Jul 31, 2021 12:51 pm

Brian Robb @BrianTRobb
about 36 minutes ago
A league source tells MassLive that Celtics are still ironing out details but will need to finalize Josh Richardson trade by Monday. Look for a protected pick or non-guaranteed salary heading back to Dallas.

Bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Sat Jul 31, 2021 1:18 pm

Shamrock1000 wrote:If Fournier re-signs, does this essentially mean Danny and Brad got Fournier and Richardson for Gordon?

Rock,

Yes.

If that's how it ends up, how do you feel about the final score? Fournier + Richardson = Hayward?

Bob

Last edited by bobheckler on Sat Jul 31, 2021 1:23 pm; edited 1 time in total
bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Sat Jul 31, 2021 1:21 pm

Bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Sat Jul 31, 2021 1:34 pm

Brian Robb @BrianTRobb
about 8 minutes ago
The Celtics are trading Moses Brown as part of the Josh Richardson deal: masslive.com/celtics/2021/0…

https://www.masslive.com/celtics/2021/07/celtics-trading-moses-brown-as-part-of-josh-richardson-deal-sending-big-man-to-dallas-mavericks.html

Celtics trading Moses Brown as part of Josh Richardson deal, sending big man to Dallas Mavericks

Updated 1:20 PM; Today 1:20 PM

By Brian Robb | brobb@masslive.com

The Celtics are finalizing a trade involving Dallas Mavericks guard Josh Richardson on Saturday and will be sending out a recent addition as part of the deal. A league source confirmed to MassLive.com that Boston will send center Moses Brown to the Dallas Mavericks in exchange for Richardson. Shams Charania of the Athletic was first to report Brown being included in the deal.

Boston will be taking Richardson’s $11 million salary for next season into the remainder of Gordon Hayward’s traded player exception. Brown has three seasons left on his cheap deal and is earning just $1.7 million next season. However, his contract is non-guaranteed which is valuable to the Mavericks since they are pursuing max salary cap space in free agency this summer to pursue high profile free agents.

The Richardson trade comes mere hours after the Celtics dealt away another big man in Tristan Thompson as part of a three-team trade with the Kings and Hawks. Boston landed Kris Dunn and another center Bruno Fernando in that deal, while also picking up a 2023 second-round pick. It remains unclear whether Dunn will remain in Boston or be moved in a separate deal.

Bob
MY NOTE: Wow. Brad is making Danny look like an old homebody.

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by worcester Sat Jul 31, 2021 1:41 pm

So for center we have Luke, Rwill, and Grant? Not enough. Am I missing something? Why let Moses go? Oh yeah, Al and Bruno too.
worcester
worcester

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Sat Jul 31, 2021 2:01 pm

worcester wrote:So for center we have Luke, Rwill, and Grant? Not enough. Am I missing something? Why let Moses go? Oh yeah, Al and Bruno too.

worcester,

Luke Kornet is not currently under contract. He is an Unrestricted Free Agent.

Our centers, currently under contract, are Horford and RWill. At forward we have Bruno and GWill.

The pieces are being moved so fast I can't keep up.

Bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Sat Jul 31, 2021 2:03 pm

Chris Forsberg @ChrisForsberg_
about 26 minutes ago
Celtics formally announce the Josh Richardson acquisition. Farewell, Gordon Hayward trade exception speculation. pic.twitter.com/UDAAznkHR7

Celtics acquire Josh Richardson  E7pFeKgXsAUxJC4?format=jpg&name=large

Bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Sat Jul 31, 2021 3:16 pm

Are you kidding me? We have enough damn wings, we needed a young big….I’m pissed

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by Shamrock1000 Sat Jul 31, 2021 3:23 pm

bobheckler wrote:
Shamrock1000 wrote:If Fournier re-signs, does this essentially mean Danny and Brad got Fournier and Richardson for Gordon?

Rock,

Yes.

If that's how it ends up, how do you feel about the final score?  Fournier + Richardson = Hayward?

Bob

I feel pretty good, especially since GH could have walked with nothing coming back. Patience worked.

Shamrock1000

Back to top Go down

Post by Shamrock1000 Sat Jul 31, 2021 3:33 pm

Shamrock1000 wrote:
bobheckler wrote:

Rock,

Yes.

If that's how it ends up, how do you feel about the final score?  Fournier + Richardson = Hayward?

Bob

I feel pretty good, especially since GH could have walked with nothing coming back. Patience worked.

Like it a little less after learning we are giving up Moses as well.

Shamrock1000

Back to top Go down

Post by prakash Sat Jul 31, 2021 4:34 pm

One more thing to keep in mind, the Celts have turned the TPEs into mid-range contracts. Without this, in any potential trade, we could only send out Smart and TT for salary match. TT is gone and brought back an exception. Richardson and Dunn together create another $16 in contract value that can be used in salary match AND can be combined with other salaries. TPEs can't be combined with anything to match salary.

The Celts appear to be sitting at $135M in salary (assuming Parker is released). The hard cap is at $138? I just can't see how Lonzo Ball can be worked in but then what do I know.

My best guess is that a 4/5 is signed with the tax-payer exception and perhaps a veteran big with on veteran-min.

Lets keep our fingers crossed that Beal does not sign an extension with the Wiz., and that their rebuild starts failing by the trade deadline. I can hope, can't I?

prakash

Back to top Go down

Post by Shamrock1000 Sat Jul 31, 2021 5:33 pm

For all the defense aficionados on the board:

Shamrock1000

Back to top Go down

Post by gyso Sat Jul 31, 2021 5:39 pm

Shamrock1000 wrote:
Shamrock1000 wrote:
bobheckler wrote:

Rock,

Yes.

Bob

And now it is beginning to look like Fournier and the Knicks have a thing going on.

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Sat Jul 31, 2021 7:22 pm

gyso wrote:
Shamrock1000 wrote:
Shamrock1000 wrote:
bobheckler wrote:

Rock,

Yes.

Bob

And now it is beginning to look like Fournier and the Knicks have a thing going on.

gyso

It is all about the money.  This is the last sizeable contract that EF can probably ink.  If he is able to get the Knicks or some other team to fork over more than what Boston is willing to spend he should take it.

The Richardson deal is an indication that the Celtics already know the numbers will not work in resigning Evan.

I was not happy to see Moses Brown go but it opens up a salary slot to sign Yam Madar.  The addition of Fernando who is a PF/C takes some of the sting out of losing Moses.  

The Celtics are not looking to be a tax paying team this year.   The residue of the Kemba Walker situation is still with us in the form of AH.  He's is a short timer and once he is gone, the Celtics will have more financial flexibility to make a bigger deal.  As I have been saying, it will take time to get this situation corrected but Brad has thus far done a pretty damn good job remaking the roster, limiting long term financial obligations and addressing several positional needs.  We have added a couple of veterans to the team.

Let's go Celtics
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by atcross Sat Jul 31, 2021 7:36 pm

Rule #1: Don't get too attached. All of the back and forth over whether Brown was a good pick up is now moot. It does seem to leave us a little "short" on centers. But I suspect Brad has noticed. It's still long way to the regular season.

atcross

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next