Celtics May Own ‘Tiebreaker’ to Acquire NBA Champions, per Insider

+3
cowens/oldschool
dboss
bobheckler
7 posters

Go down

Celtics May Own ‘Tiebreaker’ to Acquire NBA Champions, per Insider Empty Celtics May Own ‘Tiebreaker’ to Acquire NBA Champions, per Insider

Post by bobheckler Sat Jul 10, 2021 1:04 pm

https://heavy.com/sports/boston-celtics/patty-mills-rudy-gay-danny-green/

By Vinny Somma
Updated Jul 8, 2021 at 7:24pm

Celtics may own tiebreaker to sign former Spurs

Could familiarity help the Boston Celtics yield the services of a handful of veteran contributors this offseason?

Head coach Ime Udoka’s San Antonio ties are well documented at this point. The 43-year-old spent two separate stints with the Spurs as a player before serving as an assistant under Gregg Popovich. However, he’s far from the lone Celtics staffer with roots to the Lone Star State. Assistant Will Hardy arrives in Beantown after spending the past decade as a member of the Spurs organization. Hell, even Damon Stoudamire, who is reportedly joining the Celtics’ staff, closed out his 13-year NBA career with San Antonio.

With the Celtics suddenly feeling like the Spurs of the East, could Boston be setting themselves up nicely to serve as an ideal destination for a duo of Spurs champions and another wily vet who offers a consistent scoring punch?

Mass Lives’ Brian Robb believes it’s certainly plausible. With current Spurs players Patty Mills and Rudy Gay set to hit the free agency market this summer and ex-Spur Danny Green also possibly on the move, the Celtics’ hiring of Udoka could pay dividends when it comes to filling out Boston’s roster. Here’s what Robb had to say regarding the prospect of the C’s taking a swing at acquiring the trio this offseason:

A pair of familiar faces in Udoka and Hardy could hold plenty of appeal to those guys if they are debating similar offers from other playoff teams. The other interesting part of this question to me will be what name on this list would appeals most to Boston’s front office.

The Philadelphia Inquirer reported last month that Green ‘probably wouldn’t be a Sixer’ moving forward. Meanwhile, the Spurs are expected to be going in a younger direction as Mills and Gay hit the unrestricted market. Mills would be a great offensive spark plug off the bench but his size makes him a defensive liability. Gay provides reliable scoring as a lengthy wing and he’s added better 3-point range in recent years but he’s already 34. Green’s size also holds appeal even as his offensive game declines. A case could be made for any of the three but it’s possible Boston will be priced out of their markets. Either way, Udoka’s connection with any player in that group could be a tiebreaker in negotiations.

What Mills, Gay & Green Offer

Mills, a 32-year-old sharpshooter, looks like a highly feasible free-agent target for the Celtics. While not a clear-cut replacement for the recently traded Kemba Walker, Mills offers shooting prowess at a premium (38.8% career 3-point shooter) and has proven capable of functioning off the ball — a major bonus while playing alongside Jayson Tatum and Jaylen Brown.

As for Gay, the former No. 8 overall pick is no longer the 20-point per game scorer he was earlier in his career with the Grizzlies and Kings. What he is, however, is a highly productive rotational piece who slots in at power forward, or even possibly a small-ball 5 at times. Gay has extended his range from deep in recent years, knocking down 38.1-plus percent of his 3-point shots in two of the past three seasons. In 2020-21, Gay averaged 11.4 points per game. He’s also averaged 5.6 rebounds per game since 2018.

Green, who spent eight seasons with the Spurs from 2011-2018, has bounced around the league of late, playing for three teams in as many years. As Robb noted, it’s likely to become four teams in four years, as he’s unlikely to return to Philadelphia. Green, a three-time champion, is what he is at this point in his career. A career 40.1% 3-point shooter, the 34-year-old can knock down corner threes and play serviceable defense.

While none of these players offer roster transforming traits, they are the type of veteran pieces that help build out a contending roster. Not to mention, despite all the Damian Lillard and Bradley Beal rumors swirling, chances are these are the type of talents that the Celtics will more than likely have to settle for this offseason.

Bob
MY NOTE:  All good players, not sure I want any of them.  They're either too old (e.g. Green and Gay, both at 34, and Mills at 33 in a month) or will compete for time with players that need the minutes to develop (e.g. Pritchard and possibly Madar).  Mills last year was a 37.5% 3pt shooter (decidedly mediocre) and only averaged 2.4 assists/game while playing 24.8mpg.  By comparison, Payton Pritchard averaged 1.8 apg in 19.2mpg.  If you gave Pritchard 5.6 more mpg, and he performed as effectively in them, he'd have averaged 2.33 assists per game (@ 24.8mpg).  So, very little difference there between Mills at this point in his career vs then-rookie Pritchard.  HOWEVER, Pritchard shot 41.1% from 3.  Edge:  Pritchard.  We need, in my opinion, a floor general.  Mills' 2.4apg in solid rotation player minutes says he isn't one.  Rudy Gay shot 42% on the year, 38% from 3.  Also underwhelming, including on defense.  The much-maligned Grant Williams, who played 4 and smallball 5 too, shot 37.2% from 3 last season.  Mediocre, but not far off from Gay's stats and for a fraction of the price.  Danny Green shot 40.5% from 3 last season, that's good.  Nesmith shot 37%, and he started off the year shooting really poorly, but we know shooting is his forte and is the last part of his game we should be concerned with.  One cannot really compare a rookie with limited minutes like Nesmith to a 3X Champion like Green, but who would you want coming off the bench behind Jaylen?  Green is probably the better player but in a year or two Nesmith will be if for no other reason that Green will be on his last legs.

All in all, I say 'thanks, but no thanks' to these 3 unless they are really willing to be 3rd string players and mentors at this point in their careers.  I think Ime's time with the Olympic team will produce better results than these 3.  I'm not saying that someone like Beal, just for example, will suddenly want to bolt to the Celtics but Beal might go back to his team and tell them what a great experience it was playing with Tatum and being coached by Ime and a quality player from the Wizards will now consider us (e.g. Ish Smith?).

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Celtics May Own ‘Tiebreaker’ to Acquire NBA Champions, per Insider Empty Re: Celtics May Own ‘Tiebreaker’ to Acquire NBA Champions, per Insider

Post by dboss Sat Jul 10, 2021 3:32 pm

We need a PF and a PG

The Celtics should sign Jeff Green. He is coming off of a one year $2.5 million contract. Udoka could probably call him. That would be a very low cost option for us.

Next the Celtics have to move TT and they should target a PG.

These will be low cost moves and maybe we get a team to take TT and we get back less than his salary.

dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Celtics May Own ‘Tiebreaker’ to Acquire NBA Champions, per Insider Empty Re: Celtics May Own ‘Tiebreaker’ to Acquire NBA Champions, per Insider

Post by cowens/oldschool Sat Jul 10, 2021 4:18 pm

Jeff Green shockingly still has a lot left, knows how to play off stars, can do backdoor cuts and still finishes strong.

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Sat Jul 10, 2021 5:42 pm

cowens/oldschool wrote:Jeff Green shockingly still has a lot left, knows how to play off stars, can do backdoor cuts and still finishes strong.
Very true.  He looked very good.  I was surprised.
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by prakash Sat Jul 10, 2021 6:28 pm

So if we sign EF, we can let Parker go and sign Rudy Gay for our backup 4 spot.

We will have a solid roster just not that 3rd star. Come playoffs, it is about the stars. We saw KD playing 48 mins in the playoffs.

The roster may be a great regular season roster only to come up short in the playoffs.

prakash

Back to top Go down

Post by Vankisa Sat Jul 10, 2021 6:56 pm

I am all for getting a veteran shooter like Patty Mills.

Not seeing what Rudy Gay brings to the table at 4 though. We need a hard working 4, do not need a particularly good offensive one even in my opinion as long as he works hard on defense and the glass and can run.

Rudy Gay plays like a wing. Which EF already does. I know you can never have enough quality wings these days, but we are flush in that department and sorely lacking in all others Smile.

What would be the price tag on Rudy Gay? He is probably better than the current reclamation project we have at 4 for the right price I guess Smile.

I would only consider Patty Mills from that bunch.

Vankisa

Back to top Go down

Post by Ktron Mon Jul 12, 2021 10:14 am

dboss wrote:
cowens/oldschool wrote:Jeff Green shockingly still has a lot left, knows how to play off stars, can do backdoor cuts and still finishes strong.
Very true.  He looked very good.  I was surprised.

F Jeff!

Ktron

Back to top Go down

Post by Ktron Mon Jul 12, 2021 10:25 am

bobheckler wrote:https://heavy.com/sports/boston-celtics/patty-mills-rudy-gay-danny-green/

By Vinny Somma

Could familiarity help the Boston Celtics yield the services of a handful of veteran contributors this offseason?

Head coach Ime Udoka’s San Antonio ties are well documented at this point. The 43-year-old spent two separate stints with the Spurs as a player before serving as an assistant under Gregg Popovich. However, he’s far from the lone Celtics staffer with roots to the Lone Star State. Assistant Will Hardy arrives in Beantown after spending the past decade as a member of the Spurs organization. Hell, even Damon Stoudamire, who is reportedly joining the Celtics’ staff, closed out his 13-year NBA career with San Antonio.

With the Celtics suddenly feeling like the Spurs of the East, could Boston be setting themselves up nicely to serve as an ideal destination for a duo of Spurs champions and another wily vet who offers a consistent scoring punch?

Mass Lives’ Brian Robb believes it’s certainly plausible. With current Spurs players Patty Mills and Rudy Gay set to hit the free agency market this summer and ex-Spur Danny Green also possibly on the move, the Celtics’ hiring of Udoka could pay dividends when it comes to filling out Boston’s roster. Here’s what Robb had to say regarding the prospect of the C’s taking a swing at acquiring the trio this offseason:

A pair of familiar faces in Udoka and Hardy could hold plenty of appeal to those guys if they are debating similar offers from other playoff teams. The other interesting part of this question to me will be what name on this list would appeals most to Boston’s front office.

The Philadelphia Inquirer reported last month that Green ‘probably wouldn’t be a Sixer’ moving forward. Meanwhile, the Spurs are expected to be going in a younger direction as Mills and Gay hit the unrestricted market. Mills would be a great offensive spark plug off the bench but his size makes him a defensive liability. Gay provides reliable scoring as a lengthy wing and he’s added better 3-point range in recent years but he’s already 34. Green’s size also holds appeal even as his offensive game declines. A case could be made for any of the three but it’s possible Boston will be priced out of their markets. Either way, Udoka’s connection with any player in that group could be a tiebreaker in negotiations.

Mills, a 32-year-old sharpshooter, looks like a highly feasible free-agent target for the Celtics. While not a clear-cut replacement for the recently traded Kemba Walker, Mills offers shooting prowess at a premium (38.8% career 3-point shooter) and has proven capable of functioning off the ball — a major bonus while playing alongside Jayson Tatum and Jaylen Brown.

As for Gay, the former No. 8 overall pick is no longer the 20-point per game scorer he was earlier in his career with the Grizzlies and Kings. What he is, however, is a highly productive rotational piece who slots in at power forward, or even possibly a small-ball 5 at times. Gay has extended his range from deep in recent years, knocking down 38.1-plus percent of his 3-point shots in two of the past three seasons. In 2020-21, Gay averaged 11.4 points per game. He’s also averaged 5.6 rebounds per game since 2018.

Green, who spent eight seasons with the Spurs from 2011-2018, has bounced around the league of late, playing for three teams in as many years. As Robb noted, it’s likely to become four teams in four years, as he’s unlikely to return to Philadelphia. Green, a three-time champion, is what he is at this point in his career. A career 40.1% 3-point shooter, the 34-year-old can knock down corner threes and play serviceable defense.

While none of these players offer roster transforming traits, they are the type of veteran pieces that help build out a contending roster. Not to mention, despite all the Damian Lillard and Bradley Beal rumors swirling, chances are these are the type of talents that the Celtics will more than likely have to settle for this offseason.

Bob
MY NOTE:  All good players, not sure I want any of them.  They're either too old (e.g. Green and Gay, both at 34, and Mills at 33 in a month) or will compete for time with players that need the minutes to develop (e.g. Pritchard and possibly Madar).  Mills last year was a 37.5% 3pt shooter (decidedly mediocre) and only averaged 2.4 assists/game while playing 24.8mpg.  By comparison, Payton Pritchard averaged 1.8 apg in 19.2mpg.  If you gave Pritchard 5.6 more mpg, and he performed as effectively in them, he'd have averaged 2.33 assists per game (@ 24.8mpg).  So, very little difference there between Mills at this point in his career vs then-rookie Pritchard.  HOWEVER, Pritchard shot 41.1% from 3.  Edge:  Pritchard.  We need, in my opinion, a floor general.  Mills' 2.4apg in solid rotation player minutes says he isn't one.  Rudy Gay shot 42% on the year, 38% from 3.  Also underwhelming, including on defense.  The much-maligned Grant Williams, who played 4 and smallball 5 too, shot 37.2% from 3 last season.  Mediocre, but not far off from Gay's stats and for a fraction of the price.  Danny Green shot 40.5% from 3 last season, that's good.  Nesmith shot 37%, and he started off the year shooting really poorly, but we know shooting is his forte and is the last part of his game we should be concerned with.  One cannot really compare a rookie with limited minutes like Nesmith to a 3X Champion like Green, but who would you want coming off the bench behind Jaylen?  Green is probably the better player but in a year or two Nesmith will be if for no other reason that Green will be on his last legs.

All in all, I say 'thanks, but no thanks' to these 3 unless they are really willing to be 3rd string players and mentors at this point in their careers.  I think Ime's time with the Olympic team will produce better results than these 3.  I'm not saying that someone like Beal, just for example, will suddenly want to bolt to the Celtics but Beal might go back to his team and tell them what a great experience it was playing with Tatum and being coached by Ime and a quality player from the Wizards will now consider us (e.g. Ish Smith?).

Bob H, we go back and forth at times concerning stats, numbers etc. Depending on what your looking for its quite possible that one could spend an entire day deciphering data on one player. You mentioned in your analysis that Grant shot 37.2% from 3 and that Rudy Gay shot 38% from 3 and that Grant’s was not far off from Gay’s stats. My question is, does it matter that Gay took 149 more 3PA than Grant? How do you factor that in when trying to compare and conclude?

Ktron

Back to top Go down

Post by Ktron Mon Jul 12, 2021 10:42 am

dboss wrote:We need a PF and a PG

The Celtics should sign Jeff Green.  He is coming off of a one year $2.5 million contract.  Udoka could probably call him.  That would be a very low cost option for us.

Next the Celtics have to move TT  and they should target a PG.

These will be low cost moves and maybe we get a team to take TT and we get back less than his salary.

Robell’s, ”where the wise shopper shops”

Remember that? I do. I used to voice their 60 sec commercials for the Boston radio market and was compensated in trade meaning instead of paying me in $ they gave me a certain amount in a “free product” type allowance. so, instead of $100 check or cash, i was instead allowed to shop and select items “free” that matched the allowance amount. Damn near everything a took home in trade was of cheap quality that I got very little use out of and didn’t last very long. i.e. cheap s**t!
Can’t help to reflect back to that whenever I hear a suggestion that we can get so and so player at low cost. JS. Shocked Mad

Ktron

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Mon Jul 12, 2021 11:45 am

Ktron wrote:
bobheckler wrote:https://heavy.com/sports/boston-celtics/patty-mills-rudy-gay-danny-green/

By Vinny Somma

Bob

Bob H, we go back and forth at times concerning stats, numbers etc. Depending on what your looking for its quite possible that one could spend an entire day deciphering data on one player. You mentioned in your analysis that Grant shot 37.2% from 3 and that Rudy Gay shot 38% from 3 and that Grant’s was not far off from Gay’s stats. My question is, does it matter that Gay took 149 more 3PA than Grant? How do you factor that in when trying to compare and conclude?

ktron,

Gay took more 3s than Grant. He played 220 more minutes than Grant and, more importantly, his role on the Spurs was to score when he's in and that is not Grant's role on this team. He has also been doing it for a lot more years than Grant. Those should be taken into account, as should his salary and how much longer we can reasonably anticipate his career to continue at this level.

Rudy Gay is an undersized 4/5 now, he doesn't have the speed to be a 3 anymore. So is Grant. Grant has the opportunity for growth in his game, especially with a new HC. Rudy is just hoping for one last contract.

Having said all that I would still trade Grant for a good player. I'm just not sure that 34 year old (35 on August 17th) Rudy Gay is the one I'd trade him for.

Bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Mon Jul 12, 2021 12:25 pm

Ktron

Robell's...damn the discount store.  Even back in the days when we had meager income we would not go there.  Walk by the store holding our nose.

I got back from Boston on Thursday and almost spent a small fortune on FOOD.  My wife is also from Boston so our checklist included nothing but places to eat.  We did finally see our grandson, the first two days were hot as hell followed by a lot of rain and mid 60's temperatures and then 2-3 days of nice weather.

I had to get my fried clams and we went out to Wollaston to Tony's Clam shop. I got some clams scallops and onion rings and my wife got a lobster roll plus we each ordered Raspberry Lime Rickeys.

The bill....drum roll please....was $105.00... WTF.  The lobster roll was $30.

My cheap meal was a hotdog basket from Simcos  $10.25.

We did have a great time![/quote]
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by Ktron Mon Jul 12, 2021 10:24 pm

bobheckler wrote:
Ktron wrote:

By Vinny Somma

Bob

ktron,

Gay took more 3s than Grant.  He played 220 more minutes than Grant and, more importantly, his role on the Spurs was to score when he's in and that is not Grant's role on this team.  He has also been doing it for a lot more years than Grant.  Those should be taken into account, as should his salary and how much longer we can reasonably anticipate his career to continue at this level.

Rudy Gay is an undersized 4/5 now, he doesn't have the speed to be a 3 anymore.  So is Grant.  Grant has the opportunity for growth in his game, especially with a new HC.  Rudy is just hoping for one last contract.

Having said all that I would still trade Grant for a good player.  I'm just not sure that 34 year old (35 on August 17th) Rudy Gay is the one I'd trade him for.

Bob

Based on what you just described regarding Grant and Rudy tells me that neither payer shoud be compared to each other. Just as I thought.
As for Grant, I hope he’s going to get better and be able to help us. But, it wouldn’t surprise me if what we’ve seen thus far is as good as he’s going to get. If so, he’s still serviceable but probably somewhere else.

Ktron

Back to top Go down

Post by Ktron Mon Jul 12, 2021 11:09 pm

dboss wrote:Ktron

Robell's...damn the discount store.  Even back in the days when we had meager income we would not go there.  Walk by the store holding our nose.

I got back from Boston on Thursday and almost spent a small fortune on FOOD.  My wife is also from Boston so our checklist included nothing but places to eat.  We did finally see our grandson, the first two days were hot as hell followed by a lot of rain and mid 60's temperatures and then 2-3 days of nice weather.

I had to get my fried clams and we went out to Wollaston to Tony's Clam shop. I got some clams scallops and onion rings and my wife got a lobster roll plus we each ordered Raspberry Lime Rickeys.

The bill....drum roll please....was $105.00... WTF.  The lobster roll was $30.

My cheap meal was a hotdog basket from Simcos  $10.25.

We did have a great time!
[/quote]
Now I’m really homesick. Fried clams with the bellys and Lime Rickeys! Cap that off with a couple of drinks at the Highland Tap then pick up a couple of 45’s from Mr. One Stop, Skippy White and i’m good to go!! :>)

Ktron

Back to top Go down

Post by worcester Tue Jul 13, 2021 12:43 am

Ahh, clams and Lime Rickey's from Mac's clam bar at Seabrook Beach...

We are all agaga over Pop, his coaches, and his players, but Coach K went 74-1 with USA players in international competition, and after tonight's loss to Australia, Pop-coached-USA teams are now 9-5.
That is really poor considering. Are we overvaluing Pop's legacy?
worcester
worcester

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down