+5
NYCelt
Vankisa
dboss
prakash
bobheckler
9 posters

Go down

Source: Celtics lose ground in talks with Fournier Empty Source: Celtics lose ground in talks with Fournier

Post by bobheckler Sat Jul 31, 2021 2:38 pm

https://www.bostonherald.com/2021/07/31/0731-bh-s-fournier/

Source: Celtics lose ground in talks with Fournier

Club balking at 4-year, $80 million ask

By MARK MURPHY | Boston Herald
July 31, 2021 at 2:17 p.m.

As it turns out, the Celtics’ trade for Josh Richardson may have been insurance for a free agent priority that is not working out so well.

According to a league source, negotiations between the Celtics and Evan Fournier are close to stalling, with the team unwilling to meet the valuable wing player’s asking price of $80 million over four years.

Though it’s unclear what the Celtics are offering, “it’s not looking good,” said the source.

As evidenced by reports that the Knicks and Fournier have developed a mutual interest, the Celtics now face stiff competition.

Fournier is on the rise in Japan, where one of the Olympic tournament’s biggest stars led France to a 3-0 record in group play, including a 28-point performance in an opening win over the United States. He averaged 24.5 points over the first two games, before only playing 14 minutes during Saturday’s easy win over Iran.

The Celtics, after a busy Friday that sent Tristan Thompson to Sacramento as part of a three-team deal that brought back Atlanta’s Kris Dunn, Bruno Fernando and a 2024 second-round pick, have been in hyper drive.

On Saturday they included Moses Brown, a promising young big man brought in as part of the Kemba Walker/Al Horford swap, in a deal for Richardson that also absorbed the remaining $11 million from its Gordon Hayward trade exception.

Brad Stevens, in his first year as president of basketball operations, is also debating whether to extend the contracts of Marcus Smart and Robert Williams, while also positioning himself for a run at Bradley Beal in free agency next summer.

All of these matters considered, Fournier’s asking price appears to be a bit too rich for what the Celtics can afford without paying a high luxury tax bill.

Bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Source: Celtics lose ground in talks with Fournier Empty Re: Source: Celtics lose ground in talks with Fournier

Post by prakash Sat Jul 31, 2021 4:52 pm

Interesting that this gets leaked right after acquiring Josh Richardson. Even the Celts PR machinery is working hard.

Bye, Evan Fournier, too bad, I liked your game.

prakash

Back to top Go down

Source: Celtics lose ground in talks with Fournier Empty Re: Source: Celtics lose ground in talks with Fournier

Post by dboss Sat Jul 31, 2021 8:49 pm

prakash wrote:Interesting that this gets leaked right after acquiring Josh Richardson.  Even the Celts PR machinery is working hard.

Bye, Evan Fournier, too bad, I liked your game.

There were a lot of reason to retain his services.  He is a high end shooter, an efficient compliment to the Jays.  He is still young enough to roll with the big dogs for at least another 4 years.   Signing a guy like him as a FA would be impossible.

All these logical reasons ain't worth 2 dead flies because the ownership group has to be willing to spend the money and pay the tax to keep a guy like Fournier.  That is the rational for what I have been saying all this time.  It many respects it is the same situation as the Kemba Walker FA signing 2 years ago and the residual impact in the form of Al Horford.  

Know this.  It is all about the Benjamins.
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by Vankisa Mon Aug 02, 2021 12:57 pm

For me letting Fournier go like this and all the wheeling and dealing I am seeing from Brad tells me 2 things:

1. I like the level of activity from Brad, trying to make the best out of every single advantage he inherited as small as they are.

2. I see a confirmation that Celtics management do not want to spend to win anymore. They did for the Irving, Horford, Hayward days. Maybe they feel burned and/or cheated from that whole fiasco I do not know, but it seems to me we are looking at wasting more years out of JT and JB window. Things do not look good to me. Baring some long shot Brad pulls of here we are not seeing a whiff of the NBA Finals anytime soo.

Vankisa

Back to top Go down

Post by NYCelt Mon Aug 02, 2021 1:58 pm

Vankisa wrote:For me letting Fournier go like this and all the wheeling and dealing I am seeing from Brad tells me 2 things:

1. I like the level of activity from Brad, trying to make the best out of every single advantage he inherited as small as they are.

2. I see a confirmation that Celtics management do not want to spend to win anymore. They did for the Irving, Horford, Hayward days. Maybe they feel burned and/or cheated from that whole fiasco I do not know, but it seems to me we are looking at wasting more years out of JT and JB window. Things do not look good to me. Baring some long shot Brad pulls of here we are not seeing a whiff of the NBA Finals anytime soo.

I would agree on both points.

To me it looks like the upcoming season will be one of looking for the next building block. The current roster could be playoff bound, but not what is needed for a conference title or more. My guess, but the front office may be looking to see who among the reserves is worth keeping going forward and testing the waters in the trade market. Without a fairly big deal or significant free agent signings the team may just be in a holding pattern.
NYCelt
NYCelt

Back to top Go down

Post by gyso Mon Aug 02, 2021 2:00 pm

Vankisa wrote:For me letting Fournier go like this and all the wheeling and dealing I am seeing from Brad tells me 2 things:

1. I agree

2. I believe that Celtics management doesn't want to go all-in this season. It seems like they are trading for expiring contracts, dumping some salary all in order to get the "third star" next summer.

Just my opinion.

Back to top Go down

Post by sinus007 Mon Aug 02, 2021 3:16 pm

Hi,
I don't think it's true - #2. It doesn't fit the pattern: they spent several years spending rich and building the contender, they've got 2 all-stars (paid almost $300M) and all of a sudden the same people (Wic & Co.) decided to slow down, stop... whatever - I don't think so.
Also, I don't think the talks with EF are done, he hasn't signed with any other team, yet.
Also, the FA season starts only at 6pm today and we don't know what Brad's going to do and how much the owners are going to spend.

AK
sinus007
sinus007

Back to top Go down

Post by prakash Mon Aug 02, 2021 8:26 pm

So Fournier to NY is a done deal. 4/78. Not sure of what the Celts are targeting right now. Guess they have to wait for their turn in the pecking order. I am waiting as well ...........

prakash

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Mon Aug 02, 2021 8:44 pm

prakash wrote:So Fournier to NY is a done deal.  4/78.  Not sure of what the Celts are targeting right now.  Guess they have to wait for their turn in the pecking order.  I am waiting as well ...........  
If Celtics management believes this is a legit team ready now to get to the finals, they will spend and pay the luxury tax.  

Do not hold your breath waiting for any significant move.
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by prakash Mon Aug 02, 2021 8:54 pm

dboss,

I am OK with running it back with marginal improvements. Compared to the last year's team (and lets forget that EF was here), we have subtracted Kemba and TT and added Al and JRich. I am hoping that they will add Rudy Gay. Perhaps add Aron Baynes or Drummond on vet. min.

That to me is one the best 2nd tier team. We will not match up with Bucks, Nets or Miami now that they have added Lowry). Not match up unless one of Langford/Nesmith makes a big leap.

Well, it is what it is. Lets keep the powder dry for a potential Beal acquisition.

prakash

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Mon Aug 02, 2021 9:08 pm

prakash wrote:dboss,

I am OK with running it back with marginal improvements.  Compared to the last year's team (and lets forget that EF was here), we have subtracted Kemba and TT and added Al and JRich.  I am hoping that they will add Rudy Gay.  Perhaps add Aron Baynes or Drummond on vet. min.

That to me is one the best 2nd tier team.  We will not match up with Bucks, Nets or Miami now that they have added Lowry).  Not match up unless one of Langford/Nesmith makes a big leap.

Well, it is what it is.  Lets keep the powder dry for a potential Beal acquisition.
Forget about it.

This is the reason I referred to this as a bridge year.

The Celtics moved one really bad contract but AH has a bad contact too.   I would not go after Beal with the broken end ofa coke bottle.
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by prakash Mon Aug 02, 2021 11:13 pm

dboss wrote:
Forget about it.

The Celtics moved one really bad contract but AH has a bad contact too.   I would not go after Beal with the broken end of a coke bottle.

I will forget (just help me with what).

I don't get the bridge year.  Bridge year to what?  Sustained mediocrity?

Barring one of the youngsters taking a JB like leap, we are headed towards multiple seasons to endure.  After all, Al will only decline and Beal is not worth the broken end of a coke bottle! (Extremely confused about the metaphor, hope I got it right!)

Last edited by prakash on Tue Aug 03, 2021 3:11 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Clarifying the last statement.)

prakash

Back to top Go down

Post by Vankisa Tue Aug 03, 2021 7:32 am

sinus007 wrote:Hi,
I don't think it's true - #2. It doesn't fit the pattern: they spent several years spending rich and building the contender, they've got 2 all-stars (paid almost $300M) and all of a sudden the same people (Wic & Co.) decided to slow down, stop... whatever - I don't think so.
Also, I don't think the talks with EF are done, he hasn't signed with any other team, yet.
Also, the FA season starts only at 6pm today and we don't know what Brad's going to do and how much the owners are going to spend.

AK

Well AK I would have sincerely been super glad if you were right and I was not... but we know the deal now Sad

The same people have indeed decided to slow down/stop spending.

EF is gone.

0 was done in first day of FA season as per the "stop spending" directive

Vankisa

Back to top Go down

Post by Ktron Tue Aug 03, 2021 9:16 am

prakash wrote:
dboss wrote:
Forget about it.

The Celtics moved one really bad contract but AH has a bad contact too.   I would not go after Beal with the broken end of a coke bottle.

I will forget (just help me with what).

I don't get the bridge year.  Bridge year to what?  Sustained mediocrity?

Barring one of the youngsters taking a JB like leap, we are headed towards multiple seasons to endure.  After all, Al will only decline and Beal is not worth the broken end of a coke bottle!  (Extremely confused about the metaphor, hope I got it right!)

There’s no such thing as a “bridge” year. To have a bridge year you must have bridge ticket pricing, bridge TV money and owners taking a bridge hit to their bottom
Line and we know the opposite holds true there. You also have to have a fan base that’s elated over mediocrity.
Never in Boston. Well, that’s the way it used be.

Ktron

Back to top Go down

Post by gyso Tue Aug 03, 2021 10:42 am

Guarded Bridge?

Confounded Bridge?  (listen at the end)

War-time Bridge?

Smoggy Bridge?

So many bridges.

Back to top Go down

Post by worcester Tue Aug 03, 2021 10:48 am

But no Lloyd Bridges.
worcester
worcester

Back to top Go down

Post by gyso Tue Aug 03, 2021 11:20 am

I went for a hunt down by the sea:

One of my favorite shows when I was a kid. That, and Rat Patrol.

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Tue Aug 03, 2021 12:09 pm

gyso wrote:I went for a hunt down by the sea:

One of my favorite shows when I was a kid.  That, and Rat Patrol.

gyso,

The ultimate surf-and-turf combo.

Bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by Ktron Tue Aug 03, 2021 12:14 pm

worcester wrote:But no Lloyd Bridges.

At this point I’d take Bill Bridges.
#riseup

Source: Celtics lose ground in talks with Fournier 71a1e610

Ktron

Back to top Go down

Post by Ktron Tue Aug 03, 2021 12:20 pm

gyso wrote:Guarded Bridge?

Confounded Bridge?  (listen at the end)

War-time Bridge?

Smoggy Bridge?

So many bridges.

Razz

Ktron

Back to top Go down

Post by prakash Tue Aug 03, 2021 5:04 pm

Source: Celtics lose ground in talks with Fournier 1f600

No wonder I was not getting the "bridge" comment.  Too much of "inside the box" thinking.

prakash

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down