Is The Glass Half Full Or Half Empty?

4 posters

Go down

Is The Glass Half Full Or Half Empty? Empty Is The Glass Half Full Or Half Empty?

Post by 112288 Tue Aug 03, 2021 12:09 am

It is still early in the free agent season, so we have yet to see what Brad can do in the open market.  However, do not expect fireworks just yet!

The problem that exists when a company or sports team changes the leadership hierarchy from one management group to another, there is a period of transition that takes place from how the company was lead, to how it will be lead in the future.  This is what the Celtics are going through right now.  Call it growing pains if you may.

It is not an quick process to transform the team from how it was constructed under Danny to how it will be constructed in the future under Brad and see immediate results.   It is kind of like turning an aircraft carrier around at full steam.  You cannot just do a quick u-turn and change directions on a dime immediately and expect to see the desired results of a new course.  Remember, the team was constructed and steered in a certain direction under Danny at full steam.

So my point is, it will take a year or two to flush out the old structure and bring in the new - strategy & direction on how the team will be built; on who will coach the team; on who will be in the new senior management leadership group setting strategy; and who will be the new player personnel brought in implement managements desired strategy.

I believe we will be competitive given the core of top talent at least in the starting 5 through player 7 on the bench.  But it remains to be seen if Brad can bring in some role players to fill out the bench and who are willing to accept those roles that the new coach wants, or a potential larger deal to bring in some additional top flight talent to fill our weak points in the teams current construction.

We saw the first big dump earlier a month ago with the trade for Horford  and sending Walker packing.  Another round of trades was by picking up Richards, and now there are whispers in giving Smart a new 4 year deal.  This could mean two things: 1) Smart is signed and stays for another 4 years; or 2) Smart now becomes a piece of a much larger trade.  A team in a trade will pay a premium for Smart knowing they have him under contract for 4 years rather then an expiring contract in a year.

I would give Brad time to construct his new management group including a new GM, and let us see how he navigates the ship for at least a year.  The test for Brad will be next years free agent market where we may have more cap room to work with which we do not have currently.

Back to top Go down

Is The Glass Half Full Or Half Empty? Empty Re: Is The Glass Half Full Or Half Empty?

Post by jrleftfoot Tue Aug 03, 2021 12:15 am

I've never undestood that metaphor. A half empty glass is also half full. Anyway, it's hard to tell without knowing the master plan. I am hopeful that there is one.
jrleftfoot
jrleftfoot

Back to top Go down

Is The Glass Half Full Or Half Empty? Empty Re: Is The Glass Half Full Or Half Empty?

Post by 112288 Tue Aug 03, 2021 12:24 am

jrleftfoot,

My point in using that metaphor was to point out to our group that no matter how someone describes the 2021-2022 Celtics (Good or Bad) both would be right!

Ya, we will not win banner #18 as currently constructed on this date August 3, 2021, but we have a a very good starting 5 and 2 good bench players through 7.  However, some fans who think that banner #18 is in sight this year, will be disappointed when we fall short in the play-offs, and so call them bad.

Back to top Go down

Post by gyso Tue Aug 03, 2021 12:29 am

jrleftfoot wrote:I've never undestood that metaphor. A half empty glass is also half full. Anyway, it's hard to tell without knowing the master plan. I am hopeful that there is one.

It is based on a premise:

An optimist would see the glass half full.
A pessimist would see the glass half empty.

Like you said, same glass. But two outlooks.

Either way, it is premature to look for a judgement of the front office after just 6 1/2 hours into the off season.

Back to top Go down

Post by 112288 Tue Aug 03, 2021 12:38 am

True, that is why I said at this point in time who knows. But to be fair to Brad, you have to give him a year to right the ship.

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Tue Aug 03, 2021 10:11 am

gyso wrote:
jrleftfoot wrote:I've never undestood that metaphor. A half empty glass is also half full. Anyway, it's hard to tell without knowing the master plan. I am hopeful that there is one.

It is based on a premise:  

An optimist would see the glass half full.
A pessimist would see the glass half empty.

Like you said, same glass.  But two outlooks.

Either way, it is premature to look for a judgement of the front office after just 6 1/2 hours into the off season.

gyso,

I'm an opportunist. While those two philosophers are debating how to look at the fluid in the glass, I'm drinking it. Then, if they want, they can continue the debate as to whether the glass is 100% empty or 0% full.

Bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by gyso Tue Aug 03, 2021 10:26 am

Is The Glass Half Full Or Half Empty? Sad_em10

Is The Glass Half Full Or Half Empty? Out_of10

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Tue Aug 03, 2021 10:50 am

I think 112288 has made some very good points.  I can think of a lot of companies that brought in new management and that management needed time to effect the changes (two that jump into my head, right off the bat, are Lee Iaccocco at Ford and Jack Welch at GE).  It takes more than just saying "get out there and sell more!" or "take shorter coffee breaks!".  

The silence on the Celtic front from yesterday's free agent feeding frenzy highlights the problems Brad is confronting in his first few months as President of Basketball Operations.  Before he can start playing his hand he first has to finish the hand Danny left him.  He made, what has been generally considered by just about everybody, a very good start with hiring Ime Udoka as his replacement.  That was the first job that he had that was all his.  Replacing players on the roster is an entirely different type of effort.  There are salary caps, hard and soft.  There are varying levels of interest around the league in the players Brad has to offer.  In the end, it was Danny's misjudgment of Evan Fournier's value on the market that doomed that resigning.  He thought he was going to be able to get Fournier to resign with Boston for $X and misjudged Thib's interest and Dolan's willingness to spend.  We will see how well that works out for them (let's just say that James Dolan is not known as a basketball savant, not even an "idiot savant".  He's just an eedjit).  Norman Powell signed for less to stay in Portland.  Is Evan Fournier more valuable than Norman Powell?  I say no.  Both are scorers but Powell's defense is better.  One can argue, then, that Fournier was overpaid (or Powell underpaid).  Which brings me back to Brad and Danny.  Brad inherited a team salary that was lacking in flexibility.  Think of the angst we would all be feeling now when it came time to resign/extend Smart and RWill and there wasn't enough money to do it, so they left without us getting anything or body in return.  That could still happen, it takes years to clear out bad contracts (or you make a big move like Kemba for Horford, an improvement contractually) and free up the money.

I have been a staunch supporter of Danny for his 18 years here as PoBO.  I cut him some slack when he first got here, because the team was a mess, and then after he got us #17 and I saw he knew how to do it, I gave him a lot more rope.  

Talent-wise, Brad is inheriting a better team than Danny did (Danny had Pierce and Walker while Brad has the Js.  Love Pierce as much as you want I still think you have to say Tatum and Brown are a better 1-2 than Pierce and 'Toine).  

Salary-wise, Brad is more limited than Danny was in 2003.  He inherited Kemba's contract, arguably the worst in the NBA.  He also had to figure out what to do with Fournier.  Unlike Danny, who perhaps waited too long to commit one way or the other, with Gordon Brad saw he was too far apart from the offers Fournier was getting from other teams and he pulled the trigger to get Richardson.  Not gonna happen?  Ok, bye.  Next!  

You can change your coach, and Brad has (and Danny did with Doc).  You can swap out some of your personnel but it takes time to bring in all the right pieces and to get them to gel.  Brook Lopez has been with the Bucks for 3 years.  Middleton has been with the Bucks 8 years.  Giannis is 8 years too.  Budenholzer has been the Buck's coach for 3 years.  Jrue Holiday was a finishing piece, but it took years for the front office, the coaching staff and the players themselves to figure out how to make it work.

Thank you Danny, forever, for bringing us #17.  Now we need Brad to straighten out the contracts (and lack of valuable draft picks for use or trade filler) so that we can compete for talent again.  That will take time, it all will.  It will also take time for Ime to implement his system and it will take time for the players to absorb it so it is second-nature to them.

Bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down