A new use for the board - avoidance!

+2
gyso
NYCelt
6 posters

Go down

A new use for the board - avoidance! Empty A new use for the board - avoidance!

Post by NYCelt Wed Aug 04, 2021 12:50 am

So who knew you could sit around posting in one topic after another to avoid thinking? It really helps pass the time when you can't sleep too.

Wednesday evening I'll be in the dugout managing a baseball team for the last time. It's much easier to distract myself by attempting to fix any issue the Celtics might have than to deal with the thought that my time on the field that started at age 7 is ending at 62. What do people do on summer weekends besides stay in hotels and drive to the ballpark?

For those that have read the Jim Bouton book Ball Four, he concludes the final chapter by saying "You see, you spend a good piece of your life gripping a baseball, and in the end it turns out it was the other way around all the time." I think he got it right.

I'm pleased that I've been able to get some interest from colleges for a number of my 17 and 18-year old players, including my son. A few on the roster are from our town and I've coached them since Little League. The whole extended coaching journey has really been driven by my son and his love of the game, which has allowed me to build bonds with him on something we value and share. So as I leave the diamond and get ready to take my place in the stands watching his Senior season on the football field, I'll contemplate what's next. Maybe I can dig out the golf clubs and start playing again. I could get the boat out of the dock where it's been sitting all summer and out onto the lake.

Better still, I'll check in here more often! So, I hear we got a new coach or something?
NYCelt
NYCelt

Back to top Go down

A new use for the board - avoidance! Empty Re: A new use for the board - avoidance!

Post by gyso Wed Aug 04, 2021 8:31 am

NYCelt,

Take the boat out and wet a line. You have a nice boat.

I spent a good piece of my life gripping a fishing pole (or fly rod) when I lived in Maine. That all changed when we moved to North Carolina. The rules are different, the fish are different, it seems like the old haunts were irreplaceable.

Life moves on.

Back to top Go down

A new use for the board - avoidance! Empty Re: A new use for the board - avoidance!

Post by bobheckler Wed Aug 04, 2021 10:05 am

Well, the good news at least is that you'll be around here more.

Life rolls. You roll with it or you get rolled.

Can you get WiFi on your boat? The best of both worlds?

Bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by RosalieTCeltics Wed Aug 04, 2021 10:42 am

You will find some thing that will grab your attention, but your memories will always be with you. Take it from me, life is too short to dwell, you are young, vibrant and will find a way to fill those days and time with something new. But, as I said, you will always have your memories.

Enjoy life my friend, on to new adventures and interests. Glad we will be on the receiving end of more of your thoughts here!!!

Rosalie
RosalieTCeltics
RosalieTCeltics

Back to top Go down

Post by NYCelt Wed Aug 04, 2021 11:45 pm

Thanks for the support and words of wisdom! I should change the thread title to 'A new use for the board - reassurance.'

We didn't win tonight, but it didn't seem to matter. It ended up being a real celebration anyway. My son and I stuck around until everyone was gone, then we went back out on the field and played some catch. Great way to cap off a long run together! Tomorrow he goes to work out for a coach that wants him for an 18U prep team after graduation next summer. He has another workout for a college coach that's recruiting him in a couple of weeks, and then football starts. It's funny, I take a lot of good natured ribbing for being an unemotional person, but the thought of ending my run in baseball and coaching my son was keeping me awake when I posted this thread. My wife thinks there's hope for me after all. There were post-game tears tonight over reaching the end of the line; mostly from the parents!

So yeah, I'm going to take some Sam's board advice, get out on the lake and look for some new adventures. Yes, the boat does have wi-fi so I guess I can get the best of both worlds. The fridge aboard is stocked with some pretty good craft beer too! Look out lake trout, I'm coming for you soon.
NYCelt
NYCelt

Back to top Go down

Post by bobc33 Wed Aug 04, 2021 11:48 pm

And get that handicap down to single digits!

Back to top Go down

Post by NYCelt Wed Aug 04, 2021 11:51 pm

A single digit handicap? That would be a first for me!
NYCelt
NYCelt

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Thu Aug 05, 2021 12:01 am

Enjoy buddy, really enjoy that senior year, we have an empty nest now. Actually Johnny the youngest is here until the 18th of August, then back to start his junior year at Purdue. It really happens and goes by way too fast. The day you drop him off to college is also an extremely painful one….hang in there!!

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down