Post Game Summer League vs Philly - Home, 8/14/21

+2
cowens/oldschool
bobheckler
6 posters

Go down

Post Game Summer League vs Philly - Home, 8/14/21 Empty Post Game Summer League vs Philly - Home, 8/14/21

Post by bobheckler Sat Aug 14, 2021 7:31 pm

Another blow out.  That's 3 out of 4 games.  The Championship game is on Tuesday at 9pm ET.  The tie breaker is on points differential.  With 3 blowouts we're probably in good shape.

Best game by Carsen.  I hope every single GM had a scout there and fell in love.  16 points but, more importantly, on 7-17 shooting.  Not great shooting but better than his usual awfulness.  7 assists, 3 turnovers, 2 blocks.  Oh, please, someone love that poor kid (and call Brad).

The game high scorer wasn't Edwards though, it was Zach Auguste.  18 points on 7-9, 2-2 from 3 and 6 rebounds in just 15 minutes.  4 of his rebounds were offensive.  He's not making this team but that was a helluva appearance today.

Fernando with 9 and 11.  My favorite Bruno play was, he got blocked at one end and, when his man took off down court and was going to get a dunk ahead of everybody Bruno caught up and blocked him at the rim from behind.  4 of his rebounds were offensive.  Will he play a lot for us?  Probably not, not with RWill and Horford and Kanter ahead of him.  This is assuming, of course, that Brad doesn't move him.

Bergarin with talent, but flawed.  He's 18, so I'm not fretting, but he's definitely showing he can hang with at least NBA bubble players at that age.

Langford solid with 2 monster dunks.  What can we get for him and Carsen in a package deal?

Nesmith with an off game.  13 on 5-13, 1-4 from 3, but 6 rebounds and 2 steals.

Sam Hauser with 8 points, 7 rebounds and some really solid defense.  There were a couple of defensive stops where he played his man as perfectly as you could ask.  He was officially signed, yesterday, to his two-way contract so he is a Celtic.  Welcome.

No Pritchard, no Madar, really no point guard at all (I do not consider either Carsen or Romeo point guards) and we still had 22 assists on 40 fgm.  We outrebounded them but it was close because of their offensive rebounding.  Jared Greenberg and Sam Mitchell were making such a big deal about how the Sixers were without Tyrese Maxey.  Well, how about PP and YM?  We won by 20.  How much do you think we'd have won by if they had Maxey and we had our two?

Brian Robb @BrianTRobb
about 14 minutes ago
Joe Mazzulla says Yam Madar is day-to-day with his groin injury

Through 4 Summer League games, 16 quarters total, we've lost 2. That's pretty damn impressive.

https://www.espn.com/nba-summer-league/boxscore?gameId=401352179&league=nba-summer-las-vegas

Bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post Game Summer League vs Philly - Home, 8/14/21 Empty Re: Post Game Summer League vs Philly - Home, 8/14/21

Post by cowens/oldschool Sun Aug 15, 2021 12:53 am

One of the big differences in the first game and the last 3 was the presence of Bruno. In the first game the Hawks were scoring repeatedly at will inside and on penetration, since Bruno joined the team that has pretty much stopped. I remember in crunch time it was so bad we went with 3 wings, AN RL Begarin and CE Pritchard, no bigs because the defense was so bad. Bruno is a lot faster and more mobile than I thought he was, he can definitely clog the lane. We’ve already seen him make big man plays at the rim/in the paint both ends that guys like Kelly O, Semi and GWill just cannot make. Hope he gets to earn some minutes when the season starts.

Wanted to see Romeo do/score more, would like to see him go for 20+; shouldn’t be too much to ask for, take away his 2 dunks and he was pretty inefficient. AN’s long ball was off, but he still found ways to score inside the 3. Begarin needs more time to just work on all facets of his game, like that he goes after it on defense.

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post Game Summer League vs Philly - Home, 8/14/21 Empty Re: Post Game Summer League vs Philly - Home, 8/14/21

Post by worcester Sun Aug 15, 2021 8:22 am

What a fun game to watch! I love the style of play of these pups. Joe M deserves a lot of credit. Ditto Ime. Yes, AN's shot was off, but he still played well. Romeo made a couple of 3's besides his 2 dunks but his finishing was sloppy. He can do better. Not so Sam Hauser. I was really impressed by both his shooting and D. Ditto Zach Auguste.is there anyway we can keep him on the 21-22 squad? Bruno has to be a keeper. We haven't had a bruiser physical presence like him since Baynes, and he's better than Aron...maybe not his outside shot, but overall I think he'll become a much better inside presence. Begarin shows flashes, but he needs a couple of years to develop his game. Yam with an injury already? Yes, he needs a year to beef up. So overall I was impressed by Hauser, Bruno the Bruiser, and Saint Augustine among the new arrivals. Carsen? Yes, he was playing with the intensity needed to save his NBA career. It was a great game for him, hopefully enough to entice a suitor, but he is not a keeper. I would really like us to have Sam, Zach, and Bruno stay on this squad which means we need to cull the herd starting with Edwards. Nesmith appears to be a much better player than Romeo, for whom I am still rooting, but my hopes for him are fading.

So...MS, PP, and DS at point.
JB, JR, RL, JT, AN as wings.
Then for bigs we have The Turk, Al, Bruno ...
We keep Sam and Auguste. Ship out Carsen.
Who am I missing???
worcester
worcester

Back to top Go down

Post by worcester Sun Aug 15, 2021 8:22 am

What a fun game to watch! I love the style of play of these pups. Joe M deserves a lot of credit. Ditto Ime. Yes, AN's shot was off, but he still played well. Romeo made a couple of 3's besides his 2 dunks but his finishing was sloppy. He can do better. Not so Sam Hauser. I was really impressed by both his shooting and D. Ditto Zach Auguste.is there anyway we can keep him on the 21-22 squad? Bruno has to be a keeper. We haven't had a bruiser physical presence like him since Baynes, and he's better than Aron...maybe not his outside shot, but overall I think he'll become a much better inside presence. Begarin shows flashes, but he needs a couple of years to develop his game. Yam with an injury already? Yes, he needs a year to beef up. So overall I was impressed by Hauser, Bruno the Bruiser, and Saint Augustine among the new arrivals. Carsen? Yes, he was playing with the intensity needed to save his NBA career. It was a great game for him, hopefully enough to entice a suitor, but he is not a keeper. I would really like us to have Sam, Zach, and Bruno stay on this squad which means we need to cull the herd starting with Edwards. Nesmith appears to be a much better player than Romeo, for whom I am still rooting, but my hopes for him are fading.

So...MS, PP, KD, and DS at point.
JB, JR, RL, JT, AN, GW as wings.
Then for bigs we have The Turk, RW,Al, Bruno ...
We keep Sam on a 2 way and Auguste on the active squad. Ship out Carsen.
Would that work? Is there anything Grant does for us that Sam Hauser can't do?
worcester
worcester

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Sun Aug 15, 2021 9:50 am

Agreed worse we haven’t had an athletic bruiser like Bruno in a long time, actually can’t believe Hawks just gave him away for a landlocked TT. This kid has a physical athletic presence that we need and mad hops on finishes, looks closer to 6’10’ to me with 7’4” wingspan. I noticed a lot of shots he didn’t block, but him jumping on the shooting hand forced misses. Can fly up and down the floor as bob heckler noted on the chase down block. At 22 with great attributes to further develop, again can’t believe Hawks just gave him away.

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by worcester Sun Aug 15, 2021 10:02 am

So glad we have him.
worcester
worcester

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Sun Aug 15, 2021 10:12 am

worcester wrote:So glad we have him.

Kanter is physical, but he’s slow and a terrible defender with avg hops at best. RWill is super athletic, but not that physical beast and issues obviously staying healthy; Al just old, savvy, but never been a glass eater. Hopefully Bruno can further develop, and sh.t yeah we need him….

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Sun Aug 15, 2021 11:26 am

At about the :35 mark you see Bruno do a hand off to Hauser who steps into a shot.  This is NOT the same thing as a catch-and-shoot, where he's just standing there with his feet set just waiting for the ball.  This was a more fluid shot for Hauser.  Nice to see him being comfortable taking and hitting it.  This shot, while only slightly different from the catch-and-shoot, is a big deal in the NBA, being able to shoot off a hand off or off a dribble is a big difference from having to be immobile because it uses offensive off-the-ball motion.

Bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by NYCelt Sun Aug 15, 2021 11:59 am

Fernando’s play down low finally giving me a reason to slow the DVR on a summer league game. May be some potential there. I want to see this guy against the real competition; he might be some badly needed front court help.
NYCelt
NYCelt

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Sun Aug 15, 2021 6:24 pm

Cow makes an excellent point about Bruno's impact on the way this team has been winning since he was added to the roster.

I think there is more than enough there so that he is a guy you want to see more of.  I look at him as a legit physical big that does not hurt the team.  

Anybody out there feeling good about Sam Hauser?  He can really shoot the ball and although a bit slow laterally he appears to be a fundamentally sound player on defense.  But make no mistake about it.  He is a floor spacing PF that could really be a factor to open things up on offense.

PP and AN look like they are ready to take a big step forward and solidifies spots in our everyday rotation.

PP does not have that blow by speed in getting to the rim but he does have enough handle and quickness to drive and find wide open shooters.  The tantalizing thing I really like about him is his shooting.  This kid is a really good shooter and he will be able to take pressure off the J's who will undoubtedly be the two main guys that defenses have to focus on.   PP has displayed some pretty solid playmaking skills.

AN has had some up and down shooting nights but he is averaging almost 19 PPG and shooting 39.3% from deep.  There are several very encouraging improvement that I am seeing.  His ball handling skills look much stronger.  He is getting to the basket off the bounce.  He is averaging 6.3 rebounds per game and many are down low contested rebounds where he has to fight for position.  Aaron has a very high motor and just keeps going.

RL is still in a wait and see status.  He is definitely not a guy who can be classified as a ball handler.  He will need to ramp up the intensity because he will find himself riding the bench again this year if he does not have another gear.  

Yammy missed the game with a pulled groin.  Too bad.

Remember all those great highlights?  It is reasonable to say that he has been overhyped.  A year or maybe two of creating an NBA level body #1 and more work on his all around game will be needed.

Bergarin seems to make 2 to 3 really impressive plays every game.  He plays with a lot of energy.  He is fast, strong and has hops.  His shot is a bit flat but it is not broken.  He will need to work on his ball handling and shooting skills and his decision making.  I think he will be on the team next year if he puts in the work.

The Celtics get a shot at the SL championship. Hurray! One of the best summer league teams in recent memory.
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by worcester Sun Aug 15, 2021 7:40 pm

Sam is a keeper. A shot maker and a floor spacer, plus he plays decent D He will be fun to see on the floor with J&J and PP and RWill or Bruno. Who can defend that quintet?
worcester
worcester

Back to top Go down

Post by prakash Sun Aug 15, 2021 8:14 pm

cowens/oldschool wrote:Agreed worse we haven’t had an athletic bruiser like Bruno in a long time, actually can’t believe Hawks just gave him away for a landlocked TT. This kid has a physical athletic presence that we need and mad hops on finishes, looks closer to 6’10’ to me with 7’4” wingspan. I noticed a lot of shots he didn’t block, but him jumping on the shooting hand forced misses. Can fly up and down the floor as bob heckler noted on the chase down block. At 22 with great attributes to further develop, again can’t believe Hawks just gave him away.

Worse?

I have also used "Worser" and "Worcest" in my past life. Just in case you find it handy.

prakash

Back to top Go down

Post by prakash Sun Aug 15, 2021 8:20 pm

Can Bruno grow into a TT with better free throw shooting? Why not, if you think about it.

With that said:

I didn't like his focus in the Philly game. A little too cool. Got into a game within the game with Petrusev and ended up making a lot of mistakes. Also, at times, played with an assumption that he will be able to over-power people and was not successful.

Understand that this is summer league but he should be looking to expand his game. Absolutely no outside shots, not even mid-range shots.

prakash

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down