How Celtics' new veterans can complement Jayson Tatum, Jaylen Brown

Go down

How Celtics' new veterans can complement Jayson Tatum, Jaylen Brown Empty How Celtics' new veterans can complement Jayson Tatum, Jaylen Brown

Post by bobheckler Wed Aug 18, 2021 2:21 pm

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/celtics-veterans-complement-jayson-tatum-193553798.html

How Celtics' new veterans can complement Jayson Tatum, Jaylen Brown

Darren Hartwell
Tue, August 17, 2021, 12:35 PM

Brad Stevens faced an important challenge in his new role as Boston Celtics president of basketball operations this offseason: Surround young All-Stars Jayson Tatum and Jaylen Brown with the best possible supporting cast.

Stevens tackled that challenge head on with a flurry of moves: Kemba Walker, Evan Fournier and Tristan Thompson are out, while a new group of veteran players -- big men Al Horford, Enes Kanter and Bruno Fernando and guards Dennis Schroder, Josh Richardson and Kris Dunn -- are in.

Dunn and Fernando reportedly could get dealt in subsequent trades, but Horford, Kanter, Schroder and Richardson bring a wealth of NBA experience to Boston. That quartet alone boasts an average of 9.5 seasons in the league, and their additions increase the average age of the Celtics' roster by a full year to 25.8.

Veteran reinforcements

Average age of Celtics' four primary offseason additions - 29.5

That experience could prove valuable on a team built around two young stars under age 25 in Tatum and Brown and led by a first-year head coach in Ime Udoka.

"I think that it is an important thing. I do think experience and 'been there, done that,' is a good thing," Stevens told reporters after Boston added Horford in the Walker trade earlier this offseason. "We have a lot of promising young players, so there's a balance there."

Most importantly, the Celtics now have veteran depth at every position. Schroder comes to Boston after a season with superstar LeBron James on the Los Angeles Lakers and can join Marcus Smart -- the C's longest-tenured player -- in helping second-year guard Payton Pritchard improve his game.

Richardson, who's been to the playoffs with three different teams and worked alongside young star Luka Doncic on the Dallas Mavericks last season, brings a veteran perspective to the wing position, where the Celtics need recent draft picks Romeo Langford and Aaron Nesmith to make strides in 2021-22.

Horford and Kanter are the most seasoned of the new group with a combined 24 seasons between them, and both have seen Robert Williams' development in their first stints with the C's. The 35-year-old Horford has already said he'll be "in (Williams') ear" as the fourth-year big man aims to build on a promising 2020-21 campaign.

"He knows and understands -- is starting to understand everything like taking care of his body and making sure he's putting in the work," Horford said. "I'm really excited for what's ahead for Rob."

After being undone by inexperience and chemistry issues last season, the Celtics enter the 2021-22 season with lower expectations: 12 teams currently have better odds to win the 2022 NBA championship than Boston.

But that means the C's also have a chip on their shoulder, and the combination of Tatum and Brown with a new veteran group that knows what it takes to succeed in the NBA could lead this team to surprise some people in the fall.

Bob
MY NOTE:  "Most importantly, the Celtics now have veteran depth at every position."  I concur, 100%.  In my opinion this is one of the best articles I've read in a while (meaning that I agree with it  Smile ).  Danny put too much emphasis on draftees.  I don't want to beat a dead horse but he shouldn't have taken Grant Williams with #22, NOT because of Grant being undersized or whatever but because picks that low usually don't pan out, period.  Just to show I'm not just picking on Grant I don't think Danny should have drafted Sullinger #21 and Fab Melo #22.  The chances of drafting, or trading for, a pick in that range and have them end up being longtime NBA pros is like the odds of trading for a Rajon Rondo (Phoenix Sun #22).  How often has that happened?  Not often enough for me to be willing to roll the dice.  He took Pritchard with #26 but Pritchard was a four-year player and significantly more developed in every way than his draft class peers.  If Brad never drafts another player in the 20-30 range I'm good with that, not unless they fit a very specific role and they're already no more than a year or so away from being NBA quality like Pritchard.

As of today:
Smart, Schroder, Pritchard, Dunn, Edwards
Brown, Richardson, Nesmith, Langford
Tatum, G. Williams, Parker, Fernando
R. Williams, Horford, Kanter

Our veteran depth at PF (or whatever position you want to call the Tatum row) is our thinnest.  I will be interested to see who goes (16 contracts, someone has to go.  At least one, net, or maybe two go and we only take one player back).  Will it be Dunn, rumors are he is being shopped; or Edwards, who has had ample opportunities with this team and shines only against Summer League bubble players?  My gut tells me the answer will be coming sooner rather than later.  Teams are now sifting through the Summer League performances, of their teams and others, and deciding who they like and will keep and who they'll pass on.  Soon after those decisions are made players who are not making the cut will be informed.  Those decisions will not only bring clarity to the front office and the coaching staffs as to what their rosters are looking like it also gives those players who are cut a chance to catch on with another team, either in the NBA or in G-League or overseas.  I expect Brad to give at least one of our players that same opportunity.  Cut whomever sooner rather than later so their agents have a chance to get them placed, or at least invited to an NBA camp, before final roster spots are already contractually locked up. Camp opens September 28th this year. Brad will be done with this well before that, methinks.

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down