Three Team Trade - Cleveland, Chicago, Portland

5 posters

Go down

Three Team Trade - Cleveland, Chicago, Portland Empty Three Team Trade - Cleveland, Chicago, Portland

Post by bobheckler Fri Aug 27, 2021 2:18 pm

AP source: Cavs getting Markkanen from Bulls in 3-way trade

TOM WITHERS
Fri, August 27, 2021, 10:03 AM

CLEVELAND (AP) — Lauri Markkanen was in search of a new team. The Cavaliers needed to add another outside shooter.

They found each other.

The Cavaliers have agreed to acquire Markkanen, a restricted free agent forward from Chicago in a three-way trade that will send forward Larry Nance Jr. from Cleveland to Portland, a person familiar with the deal told the Associated Press on Friday.

Markkanen is coming to the Cavs in a sign-and-trade agreement, said the person who spoke on condition of anonymity because it needs NBA approval before it can be completed. It could be a few more days before the trade becomes official.

The 24-year-old Markkanen will receive a four-year, $67.4 million contract, added the person.

ESPN first reported the three-way swap.

The Bulls are getting swingman Derrick Jones Jr. from the Trail Blazers along with a lottery-protected 2022 first-round pick.

The 7-foot Markkanen averaged 13.6 points and 5.3 rebounds in 51 games for the Bulls last season, his fourth with the club. A 40% shooter on 3-pointers last season, he had been unable to work out staying with Chicago, and Cleveland jumped at the chance to get him.

Markkanen will join a young Cleveland nucleus that includes guards Darius Garland and Collin Sexton, forward Evan Mobley, the No. 3 pick in this year's draft, forward Isaac Okoro and center Jarrett Allen.

The price for Markkanen was high. The Cavs had to part with the popular Nance, who grew up in the area and whose father, Larry Sr., was an All-Star forward and whose jersey was retired by Cleveland.

Nance joined the Cavs in the 2017-18 season, coming over in a trade from the Lakers. A skilled all-around player, the 28-year-old Nance will be a nice complementary piece for the Blazers. He'll also get a chance to play with fellow northeast Ohioan and friend CJ McCollum.

Bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Three Team Trade - Cleveland, Chicago, Portland Empty Re: Three Team Trade - Cleveland, Chicago, Portland

Post by jrleftfoot Fri Aug 27, 2021 3:55 pm

I'd rather have Nance
jrleftfoot
jrleftfoot

Back to top Go down

Three Team Trade - Cleveland, Chicago, Portland Empty Re: Three Team Trade - Cleveland, Chicago, Portland

Post by RosalieTCeltics Fri Aug 27, 2021 4:38 pm

Me too. I had hoped that there would be some trade here getting Nance in green. So, what does that do to the Portland lineup They have some pretty big contracts. What happens to Covington??
RosalieTCeltics
RosalieTCeltics

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Fri Aug 27, 2021 8:03 pm

RosalieTCeltics wrote:Me too.  I had hoped that there would be some trade here getting Nance in green.  So, what does that do to the Portland lineup They have some pretty big contracts.  What happens to Covington??

I mentioned Covington in a much earlier thread as a guy who could fit our BU pf needs
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Sat Aug 28, 2021 12:17 pm

https://www.masslive.com/celtics/2021/08/how-lauri-markkanen-deal-shifts-celtics-trade-exception-possibilities.html

How Lauri Markkanen deal shifts Celtics trade exception possibilities

Updated: Aug. 27, 2021, 6:39 p.m. | Published: Aug. 27, 2021, 6:39 p.m.

Three Team Trade - Cleveland, Chicago, Portland SFFLAP4DOJDJBLTITCOATHLKFQ
Cleveland Cavaliers forward Larry Nance Jr., left, goes up for a dunk against Chicago Bulls forward Lauri Markkanen during the first half of an NBA basketball game in Chicago, Wednesday, March 24, 2021. (AP Photo/Nam Y. Huh)

By Brian Robb | brobb@masslive.com

A pair of potential trade exception targets for the Celtics were on the move Friday as the Cavaliers, Bulls and Trail Blazers agreed to a three-team deal highlighted by Lauri Markkanen being sign-and-traded to the Cleveland Cavaliers.

Cleveland gave the Markkanen a four-year, $67 million deal according to Adrian Wojnarowski of ESPN.com but did not have the cap space to sign outright, leading to the sign-and-trade with Chicago. The deal was expanded to three teams to add to the number of moving parts involved. Here’s a full breakdown of the compensation

Bulls get: Derrick Jones Jr (from POR), 2022 first round pick (top-14 protected from POR), 2023 second-round pick (from CLE)

Cavs get: Lauri Markannen (from CHI)

Blazers get: Larry Nance Jr. (from CLE)

Evaluating the deal

The Blazers are in win-now mode so they gave up the most draft capital here for a player in Nance Jr. they believe can help them win now to appease Damian Lillard. Nance Jr. is a big upgrade on Jones Jr. but whether that is enough to make a difference in the Western Conference playoff picture for Portland remains to be seen.

The Bulls take back an unattractive contract in Jones Jr. at $9.7 million but he’s young enough where he could have a nice bounceback year off Chicago’s bench. They also replenish some of their draft assets after giving up multiple picks to land Lonzo Ball and DeMar DeRozan in separate sign-and-trade deals.

The Cavs take the biggest gamble here investing a host of money in Markkanen despite his awkward fit in Cleveland’s revamped frontline. Kevin Love will likely be moved to a back burner role now as the team prioritizes it’s younger pieces in Jarrett Allen, Evan Mobley and Markkanen. How that group meshes together from a defensive standpoint will be a tough thing for head coach J.B. Bickerstaff to figure out but Markkanen will provide some perimeter shooting and scoring upside.

Does it impact the Celtics TPE possibilities at all?

The main area of note here from the Celtics’ perspective is losing out on a potential affordable power forward that would have fit nicely into their TPE in Larry Nance Jr. to Portland. The Blazers are looking to contend right away so he no longer looks like an available target for Boston in-season any longer barring the Blazers having a disastrous year and selling off Lillard and other assets at the trade deadline. Nance Jr. is under contract for two more seasons for a total of $20 million. He averaged 9.3 points and 6.7 rebounds per game last season but his defensive versatility should make him a valuable fit in Portland. The Celtics showed trade interest in Nance Jr. last season according to league sources.

The other moving parts here shouldn’t interest the Celtics much at all. The C’s were linked to Markkanen far earlier this offseason but their subsequent moves made any potential pursuit highly unlikely. The other name that could become more readily available in the short-term future here is Kevin Love. The veteran big man is still under contract for two more seasons but could be headed towards a buyout if the Cavs want to go with younger players over him. The guess here is the Celtics wouldn’t have much interest in a 32-year-old Love even after his buyout but he would obviously be worth a look for the veteran’s minimum. It’s also likely that he would try to play for a top-tier contender if those teams have interest in him if/when he is bought out.

Bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by RosalieTCeltics Sat Aug 28, 2021 12:49 pm

I know nothing about numbers, but my guess would be that if Love gets bought out, he might join the rest of the senior citizen crowd in LA. He has gotten along with LeBron since they mended fences years ago. Again, I do not know if there is room for him, maybe he would want to go back to Minny????
RosalieTCeltics
RosalieTCeltics

Back to top Go down

Post by gyso Sat Aug 28, 2021 9:41 pm

RosalieTCeltics wrote:I know nothing about numbers, but my guess would be that if Love gets bought out, he might join the rest of the senior citizen crowd in LA.  He has gotten along with LeBron since they mended fences years ago.  Again, I do not know if there is room for him, maybe he would want to go back to Minny????

I read that Love wants to play in Portland, which is where he is from. He was born in Lake Oswego, just south of Portland. I also read that he won't accept a buyout, so have fun on the bench in Cleveland.

Back to top Go down

Post by RosalieTCeltics Sat Aug 28, 2021 9:55 pm

How much is he making???? He will sit for them if that is what they want, money, money, money.
RosalieTCeltics
RosalieTCeltics

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down