Celtics’ Sam Hauser on how he can stick in the NBA besides his 3-point shooting

4 posters

Go down

Celtics’ Sam Hauser on how he can stick in the NBA besides his 3-point shooting Empty Celtics’ Sam Hauser on how he can stick in the NBA besides his 3-point shooting

Post by bobheckler Fri Sep 03, 2021 10:26 am

https://www.masslive.com/celtics/2021/09/celtics-sam-hauser-on-how-he-can-stick-in-the-nba-besides-his-3-point-shooting.html

Celtics’ Sam Hauser on how he can stick in the NBA besides his 3-point shooting

Updated: Sep. 02, 2021, 1:47 p.m. | Published: Sep. 02, 2021, 1:47 p.m.

Celtics’ Sam Hauser on how he can stick in the NBA besides his 3-point shooting XCL7MBGTXRBF3JUVAMUTK7NLYU
Syracuse forward Quincy Guerrier, right, passes the ball past Virginia forward Sam Hauser (10) during the first half of an NCAA college basketball game in the quarterfinal round of the Atlantic Coast Conference tournament in Greensboro, N.C., Thursday, March 11, 2021. (AP Photo/Gerry Broome) AP

By Souichi Terada | sterada@masslive.com

Sam Hauser hasn’t been with the Celtics long, but it’ll be a process of familiarization for him with the NBA season creeps closer. He needs to adjust to the speed of the game, professional life, going to Maine to play in the G-League and, of all things, expensive rent prices in Boston compared to back home in Wisconsin.

But he has a salary now after being signed by the Celtics on a two-way contract. Boston has to shed a roster spot ahead of the season, but luckily for Hauser, his short-term job security isn’t in peril. He’ll have at least the 2021-22 season — bouncing between Boston and the newly-rebranded Maine Celtics — to prove he belongs in the pros.

Hauser made his mark on Summer League as the Celtics went 4-1 and played in the title game in Las Vegas. It was a slow burn as he was quiet in his first two games, but he averaged 9.0 points and 4.8 rebounds on 46.2% 3-point shooting.

That’s the area where the former Marquette and Virginia product will look to stick in the league: 3-point shooting. But he said the C’s are looking for him to round out his game more if he wants to see consistent minutes.

“Just proving that I can stay on the floor on the defensive side of the ball,” Hauser told MassLive in Las Vegas. “I still think there’s room for improvement so I know I can shoot and I can affect the game in that way. But if I’m not able to play defense well enough, I’m not going to get on the floor.”

Hauser, 23, could have elected to stay in college another season. The NCAA granted all winter sports athletes another year of eligibility because of the pandemic. But Hauser elected to turn pro instead to get started on his career.

The NBA level will be another leap for the 6-foot-8 forward. He admitted the speed of the game in Summer League was a bit much at first. The next leap is to NBA speed, where the opportunities will be limited for Hauser. But his 3-point shooting should translate to the next level, it’s just all about how he is as a defender.

“Moreso like a team defender,” Hauser said of his role. “I think in isolation situations, I still need to work on that. But overall, I think I’ve grown in the last year or two as a defender so something to work at.”

Housing accommodations will be tricky for Hauser considering the two-way contract. He’ll suit up in Maine in the G-League often, where he can get consistent playing time in a professional setting. Two-way contract players are able to be active for up to 50 NBA games next season; the $462,629 salary doesn’t hurt either.

The Celtics are still searching for who they want to fill using their second two-way contract. Yam Madar was an option, another Summer League player, but he elected to stay overseas instead as his path to minutes was crowded with the Celtics.

Boston’s two two-way contract players from last season have moved on. Tacko Fall signed a non-guaranteed deal with the Cavs while Tremont Waters is searching for a more consistent role in the NBA. Both Fall and Waters were under two-way contracts for the past two seasons and the C’s couldn’t re-sign them for a third time, unless it was to a standard contract.

Shooting is always at a premium in the league — and that’s Hauser’s NBA-ready skill. He shot 43.9% on 3-pointers during his four seasons in college, and it’ll be about translating those deep-range shots to the pros. Of course, Hauser said there’s more to his game than just shooting.

“I have high IQ in basketball, in my opinion,” Hauser said. “I tend to make the right play. If my shot’s not there, they’re running me off the 3, I’ve shown the ability to drive-and-kick and get another guy a shot. Little things like that is what I can also provide for a team, not just shooting. But I know my shooting is the root of it all.”

Bob
MY NOTE:  Hauser is the same height as Duncan Robinson of the Heat, 6'8".  Robinson's wingspan is much better, 7'1" vs 6'9 1/2", but a quick release and quick feet (both getting to the ball as well as having them in shooting position when you get the ball) can offset that advantage.  In today's intentionally offense-oriented NBA a gunner will always have a place, especially if he works hard on the defensive end (something I'm not all that convinced Robinson does).

Robinson shot 28.6% from 3 in his first year in the NBA.  He shot 44.6% and 40.8% in the next two years.  Hauser shot 46% from 3 in Summer League, against admittedly shorter and slower players.  He also shot 44.5% from 3 at Marquette and 41.7% at Virginia, 43.9% career in college.  He's in the right ballpark already, now he needs to focus on defense, or Ime will never put him in, and adapt to the bigger, faster, stronger NBA.  

Two Way Players can play up to 50 games with the real team.  Also, playoff restrictions are lifted.  It behooves Brad, therefore, to be careful about who are his two-way players because they could play in the playoffs, and with COVID still lurking the possibility of losing players because they are in protocol is still very real.

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Celtics’ Sam Hauser on how he can stick in the NBA besides his 3-point shooting Empty Re: Celtics’ Sam Hauser on how he can stick in the NBA besides his 3-point shooting

Post by wideclyde Fri Sep 03, 2021 12:22 pm

If nothing else, I like the way this young looks at what he can do as well as what he needs to work on the make an NBA roster as a rookie. His words are spot on about having to become at least decent on defense.

Good luck to him.

wideclyde

Back to top Go down

Celtics’ Sam Hauser on how he can stick in the NBA besides his 3-point shooting Empty Re: Celtics’ Sam Hauser on how he can stick in the NBA besides his 3-point shooting

Post by dboss Fri Sep 03, 2021 4:23 pm

I also like his understanding of what he needs to do to stick.
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by RosalieTCeltics Sat Sep 04, 2021 4:12 pm

He seems like a smart, sharp minded guy. When you talk about what you need to do to improve instead of touting your "offensive skills", it is easy to like a guy like that. Here is hoping he succeeds
RosalieTCeltics
RosalieTCeltics

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down