Ktron
jrleftfoot
prakash
dboss
8 posters

Go down

The 3 point Shooting Dilemma Empty The 3 point Shooting Dilemma

Post by dboss Mon Feb 14, 2022 11:53 am

We have talked a lot about our poor 3 point shooting all year.

I see this as a league wide issue.  Here is what I found

Last year there were 18 NBA teams that shot 36% or better from behind the arc.  This year that number has dropped all the way down to only 7 teams.  Last season there were 12 teams that shot 37% or better this year that number is down to only 3 teams.

There is a slight uptick in the number of the point shots being taken  (Last year 12 teams 36+ attempts per game)  This year 13 teams at 36+ per game.

There seems to be only one logical explanation.  After using a  Spalding basketball for the past 37 years, the NBA  switched to a Wilson basketball this season.

I have been reading a lot of opinions about this and the general consensus is that the Spalding basketball has a better feel.  It is not just 3 point shooting that is down.  Overall field goal percentages are down across the board.
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

The 3 point Shooting Dilemma Empty Re: The 3 point Shooting Dilemma

Post by prakash Mon Feb 14, 2022 1:00 pm

dboss, they are allowing defense to be played. The games are being called totally differently and bigs are relevant again.

Can't compare numbers to last year.

prakash

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Mon Feb 14, 2022 1:13 pm

prakash wrote:dboss, they are allowing defense to be played.  The games are being called totally differently and bigs are relevant again.

What do you mean. I just did.

I guess if we were seeing a lot of challenged 3 point shots we could put the fall in 3 point shooting accuracy on better defense but all I am seeing everywhere is that guys are missing open shots after open shots. It is not just the Celtics. It is across the league.

The NBA defensive rule changes have little to no impact on 3 point shooting.
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by jrleftfoot Mon Feb 14, 2022 1:25 pm

Switching balls can be a diffence maker...to a lesser extent than baseball
jrleftfoot
jrleftfoot

Back to top Go down

Post by Ktron Mon Feb 14, 2022 1:54 pm

dboss wrote:We have talked a lot about our poor 3 point shooting all year.

I see this as a league wide issue.  Here is what I found

Last year there were 18 NBA teams that shot 36% or better from behind the arc.  This year that number has dropped all the way down to only 7 teams.  Last season there were 12 teams that shot 37% or better this year that number is down to only 3 teams.

There is a slight uptick in the number of the point shots being taken  (Last year 12 teams 36+ attempts per game)  This year 13 teams at 36+ per game.

There seems to be only one logical explanation.  After using a  Spalding basketball for the past 37 years, the NBA  switched to a Wilson basketball this season.

I have been reading a lot of opinions about this and the general consensus is that the Spalding basketball has a better feel.  It is not just 3 point shooting that is down.  Overall field goal percentages are down across the board.
LOL The balls? “Balls said the Queen. I’d be King if I had two.”

Ktron

Back to top Go down

Post by Ktron Mon Feb 14, 2022 1:56 pm

dboss wrote:
prakash wrote:dboss, they are allowing defense to be played.  The games are being called totally differently and bigs are relevant again.

What do you mean.  I just did.

I guess if we were seeing a lot of challenged 3 point shots we could put the fall in 3 point shooting accuracy on better defense but all I am seeing everywhere is that guys are missing open shots after open shots.  It is not just the Celtics.  It is across the league.

I dont think the ball does either dboss.

Ktron

Back to top Go down

Post by gyso Mon Feb 14, 2022 2:35 pm

What an interesting topic for discussion. Three-point shooting is down across the league, why is that?

The new ball could be part of it, why not? We like to blame Tatum's loss of shot on his bulked-up shoulders, but what if the ball has a different feel to it and it comes off the fingers differently?

On the other side of the coin is Gwill's sudden proclivity to hit the 3-pointer at a high level. Does the new ball come off his fingers differently and now it goes in at a league leading pace?

I also see lots of missed wide open shots, so it is logical to ask why.

Back to top Go down

Post by prakash Mon Feb 14, 2022 3:06 pm

dboss wrote:

I guess if we were seeing a lot of challenged 3 point shots we could put the fall in 3 point shooting accuracy on better defense but all I am seeing everywhere is that guys are missing open shots after open shots.  It is not just the Celtics.  It is across the league.

It is all speculation, right? The feel of the ball coming off of your finger tips. The belief that you have the defender in your pocket because the refs will call a foul if he breathes on you. Now, they may fracture your ribs and there may not be a call (hyperbole of-course).

Take these things away at the same time and we can never tell. Could very well be the ball.

prakash

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Mon Feb 14, 2022 3:27 pm

prakash wrote:
dboss wrote:

It is all speculation, right?  The feel of the ball coming off of your finger tips.  The belief that you have the defender in your pocket because the refs will call a foul if he breathes on you.  Now, they may fracture your ribs and there may not be a call (hyperbole of-course).

Take these things away at the same time and we can never tell.  Could very well be the ball.

If you have ever played basketball and used different balls there will be a different feel.

Anyways I guess this issue will eventually be resolved. The reason why I started this thread is because we have seen that our team has struggled shooting the ball among our best offensive players. I wanted to see if this was happening across the league or just with us and clearly it is happening all over with some exceptions that do not alter the results.
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by prakash Mon Feb 14, 2022 4:10 pm

Dboss, for a player like me the basketball never mattered. Whichever ones I used, the shots never went in. So perhaps my analysis is flawed because of my experience.

I did end up changing my badminton racket periodically as they break. At competitive levels, you also change the shuttle every few points. Plus every court is different.

Yes, those things also affect your shots.
👍

prakash

Back to top Go down

Post by Shamrock1000 Mon Feb 14, 2022 5:04 pm

Could it be that defensive schemes are more and more geared to taking away the three and shots near the hoop?

Shamrock1000

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Mon Feb 14, 2022 6:55 pm

prakash wrote:Dboss, for a player like me the basketball never mattered. Whichever ones I used, the shots never went in. So perhaps my analysis is flawed because of my experience.

I did end up changing my badminton racket periodically as they break. At competitive levels, you also change the shuttle every few points. Plus every court is different.

Yes, those things also affect your shots.
👍
I played PG and was quick as a cat.   Funny but I could only palm the ball with my left hand  but I'm a righty.  I played with all manner of basketballs.  I never liked the slippery slick ones.  Give me one that I could feel and I would score easily and my handle was better.

I preferred a rougher ball than a slick one.  That was my preference.

I put up a rim in my driveway many years back.  Probably a 16 × 16 square but with 3 point distance at one corner.  Obviously not to specification but more than enough creative space.

That was a long time ago when I was teaching my sons how to play basketball.

Last year I decided that a new net was needed since it was years since I even took a shot.  I also needed a new ball.  I purchased a Spalding. .....bang!
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by Ktron Mon Feb 14, 2022 7:14 pm

gyso wrote:What an interesting topic for discussion.  Three-point shooting is down across the league, why is that?

The new ball could be part of it, why not?  We like to blame Tatum's loss of shot on his bulked-up shoulders, but what if the ball has a different feel to it and it comes off the fingers differently?

On the other side of the coin is Gwill's sudden proclivity to hit the 3-pointer at a high level.  Does the new ball come off his fingers differently and now it goes in at a league leading pace?

I also see lots of missed wide open shots, so it is logical to ask why.

Ash you pointed out, what about the players like Grant for instance who’s shooting has improved/percentages? Same ball.

Ktron

Back to top Go down

Post by Ktron Mon Feb 14, 2022 7:21 pm

With all due respect. This changing of the ball is way over the top. Some things are pretty simple but the changing of the ball being touted as even remotely making a difference is overkill.

Ktron

Back to top Go down

Post by NYCelt Mon Feb 14, 2022 11:22 pm

Shamrock1000 wrote:Could it be that defensive schemes are more and more geared to taking away the three and shots near the hoop?

Could very well be.
NYCelt
NYCelt

Back to top Go down

Post by NYCelt Mon Feb 14, 2022 11:23 pm

Ktron wrote:With all due respect. This changing of the ball is way over the top. Some things are pretty simple but the changing of the ball being touted as even remotely making a difference is overkill.

+1
NYCelt
NYCelt

Back to top Go down

Post by dbrown4 Tue Feb 15, 2022 6:22 pm

Hasn't the way players defend the 3 changed with the undercut rule changes?  I notice now players defend across the shooter like a fly-by to avoid any hand or body contact and resulting foul instead of in their face straight up defense.  Having someone cutting across your vision line like that may have a very subtle effect, wouldn't it vs. knowing a guy is going to go straight up with you to block your 3-point attempt.  

db
dbrown4
dbrown4

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down