Boston Celtics voted team with most surprising move of the offseason by NBA exec, scout panel

2 posters

Go down

Boston Celtics voted team with most surprising move of the offseason by NBA exec, scout panel Empty Boston Celtics voted team with most surprising move of the offseason by NBA exec, scout panel

Post by bobheckler Sun Sep 12, 2021 1:27 pm

https://sports.yahoo.com/boston-celtics-voted-team-most-100039050.html

Boston Celtics voted team with most surprising move of the offseason by NBA exec, scout panel

Justin Quinn
August 20, 2021·2 min read

The Boston Celtics have been designated as the team that made the most surprising move of the offseason according to a panel of 10 NBA scouts and executives polled by ESPN in a new article by Tim Bontemps. Astute readers have likely already gleaned this is because of the absurd value the storied franchise managed to get by landing veteran point guard Dennis Schroder on a mini-mid level exception deal that impacts their cap space to the tune of $5.9 million in 2021-22.

“Two months ago, you wouldn’t have believed that would be the deal he would wind up with after what he turned down,” Bontemps reports an anonymous East executive as having said on the deal.

The only other transaction receiving multiple votes was the buyout of former Celtics point guard Kemba Walker to facilitate his move to the New York Knicks. That received two votes; the Schroder move received three.

Other moves of note receiving votes were the Portland Trail Blazers and Dallas Mavericks’ offseasons, Patty Mills signing with the Brooklyn Nets, Russell Westbrook with the Los Angeles Lakers and Chris Paul returning to the Phoenix Suns. Each garnered a single vote.

Bob
MY NOTE:  What I find interesting, and impressive, is that none of Brad's deals so far are seen as "highway robbery".  I say "impressive" because he's getting a lot of credit in the league, as reported in this article, without hitting any homeruns.  Nobody feels like Brad fleeced his trading partners while that is exactly how they felt, and were worried about, with Danny.  Nobody wanted to be the next Billy King or Bryan Colangelo.  Brad moved Kemba for Al and nobody thought it was a fleece job, but they did think it was a good move for Brad.  We'll see how Moses Brown does this year.  If he plays great then maybe the Josh Richardson trade won't look so good but, as of right now, nobody is saying bad things about Brad trading a raw talent like Moses, who looked like a good player on an absolutely awful team, for an accomplished and respected veteran like JRich (ok, Cowens isn't happy about it, but we're not hearing Jackie Mac or Forsberg or Blakely or any other NBA sportswriter talking smack about it).  The Schroder signing was a complete coup by any standard.  My prediction as of today, btw, is that Dennis Schroder isn't in green after the trade deadline comes and goes.  I think we can all safely say that he isn't going to stay in Boston next year for 120% of $5.9M ($7.08M), which is the maximum we can offer him.  It makes sense, therefore, for Brad to trade him for an asset that he either wants to have for years to come and/or that he can flip for a bigger player because he's locked into a longer contract.  That's my story and I'm sticking with it until I see evidence of Schroder's blood turning green.  Even then I don't see a player who knows he blew it by refusing a $20M contract settling for $7M...

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Boston Celtics voted team with most surprising move of the offseason by NBA exec, scout panel Empty Re: Boston Celtics voted team with most surprising move of the offseason by NBA exec, scout panel

Post by dboss Mon Sep 13, 2021 9:10 am

This article really does not deal with trades that the Celtics made. They get the most surprising move because of the insane $5.9 million salary for Dennis Schroder.

He is a one year rental and I would be very surprised if he is still on the team by the trade deadline. He will be gone next summer. How well the Celtics are doing come February will impact the Schroder decision. If we are playing really good and he is part of that goodness, he stays for the year in expectation of a deep playoff run. If on the other hand, Boston is not winning with him there is no reason for him to stay.
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down