Pritchard Carries Summer League Momentum into Camp

4 posters

Go down

Pritchard Carries Summer League Momentum into Camp Empty Pritchard Carries Summer League Momentum into Camp

Post by bobheckler Thu Sep 30, 2021 1:15 am

https://www.nba.com/celtics/news/sidebar/prac-092921-pritchard-carries-summer-league-momentum-camp

Pritchard Carries Summer League Momentum into Camp Prtich_1_0

Pritchard Carries Summer League Momentum into Camp

By Taylor Snow | @taylorcsnow
Celtics.com
September 29, 2021

BOSTON – Throughout last year’s Training Camp, various Celtics players and coaches spontaneously raved about how impressed they were with the play of rookie Payton Pritchard.

One year later, not much has changed.

The sophomore point guard is another year older and has a season of experience under his belt, but his hard-working reputation is still garnering the same level of awe from his peers, particularly among Boston’s newcomers.

Enes Kanter and Ime Udoka are the latest to climb aboard the Pritchard hype train after just two days of sharing the Auerbach Center gym with the second-year point guard.

“Payton, he’s been playing unbelievable man,” Kanter said following Wednesday's practice. “We were playing a scrimmage game and he was just giving everything he had, competing and leading. He’s going out there and giving all his heart.”

Pritchard came into last season with the same type of attitude, and it paid dividends. He had a stellar rookie campaign, during which he averaged 7.7 points, 2.4 rebounds, and 1.8 assists per game while shooting 41.1 percent from 3-point range. He also led the Celtics in games played with 66 appearances, including four starts.

Pritchard then took all of that experience into Summer League this past offseason and blew away the competition. During his time in Las Vegas, he averaged 16.8 points, 5.8 rebounds, 8.5 assists, and 1.8 steals per game, while shooting 47.8 percent from the field, 46.9 percent from long range, and 88.9 percent from the free-throw line.

And it appears to Udoka that none of Pritchard’s momentum has been lost.

“He's been great,” the first-year head coach said of his fellow Portland, Oregon native. “He's been great since you saw him in Summer League. He's been great in open gym, and he's carried that on into camp.”

The fact that Pritchard is competing for playing time with a duo of tenacious point guards in Dennis Schroder and Marcus Smart only makes him work harder.

“That's a guy that obviously doesn't lack confidence, so he's coming in battling,” said Udoka. “Obviously, we have some veteran point guards that are very competitive as well, so it's fun watching those three guys go against each other with Dennis and Marcus.”

In order to help Pritchard to get a leg up in the competition, Udoka and his staff are working to help the young guard to round out his game. Pritchard has been more of a score-first point guard throughout his career in high school and college, but now he’s working to become a better playmaker.

“Payton is a guy that you don't have to tell him (not) to hold back,” Udoka said. “He's going to be very aggressive and be who he is, but we're trying to teach him more of the position; not just looking to score every time. Coming off, he can get to the basket a ton. But you draw that crowd, you make the right play out of there.

“But he's been great, and his shooting is obviously a huge asset for what we want to do. And he's carried that right into camp with what you saw in the Summer League and last year even.”

Pritchard is approaching Year 2 with the same level of eagerness that he came in with as a rookie.

“It’s just being confident and keeping working on my craft and my game, and then obviously through my work, it will go over into the game,” he said. “So for me, it’s just a step-by-step process. Keep growing with the team and figuring out what you can do to help win games.”

Based on his first impression of Pritchard, Kanter believes the young point guard will be helping the Celtics win plenty in the future.

“He’s one guy who - I never played with him before - but he’ll be a big problem for other teams,” the veteran center said. “I’m just happy he’s on our side.”

Bob
MY NOTE: To be fair, Ime has known Pritchard since AAU, they're both from the Portland, OR area, and Saint Enes says nice things about everybody. Having said that I don't doubt for a moment that Payton has been working his everlovin' ass off everyday. He could be a big X-factor, because you know Smart and/or Schroder will miss games due to injuries or COVID protocols. What a coup by Danny and Brad drafting this kid #26!

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Pritchard Carries Summer League Momentum into Camp Empty Re: Pritchard Carries Summer League Momentum into Camp

Post by NYCelt Thu Sep 30, 2021 7:30 am

Count me among those who thought the Celtic draft team had completely lost their minds when they took Pritchard. Watching him at Oregon I thought no way this kid can make the jump to the NBA. Too slow, not a great playmaker, minimal defense. To say he’s been a pleasant surprise would be an understatement; I didn’t think he would stick through training camp. He’s shown he can shoot and provide a scoring threat. He might not play much this season behind a few more versatile guards, but he provides depth over a long season and I’m sure he’ll work hard and contribute when called on. I think he’s a real lunch-bucket type guy. He won’t ever be the most gifted player around, but he’ll get his minutes by outworking others.
NYCelt
NYCelt

Back to top Go down

Pritchard Carries Summer League Momentum into Camp Empty Re: Pritchard Carries Summer League Momentum into Camp

Post by Berlin-T Thu Sep 30, 2021 8:36 am

For me the question is, can he develope into a good playmaker? He's a great shooter, but he needs to see the floor better and make decisions faster. That will determine his future.

Berlin-T
Berlin-T
Berlin-T

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Thu Sep 30, 2021 11:37 am

Prichard can flat out shoot the basketball and he has a great handle so I put him in the ball handlers/shooters category.

His PG position puts him at #3 in the depth chart since both Smart and Schroder are quality experienced veterans with great size for that position.

Coach Udoka will figure out a way to get him in the game.  I expect to see him paired with either Smart or Schroder where he will play off the ball on offense and on the ball on defense.  I think he has a much better chance defending at the point than at the 2.

In either case the Celtics will benefit from having two ball handling guards in the game together.  Much depends on how well both Smart and Schroder play off the ball.  We could see both of them paired together.

Udoka has a lot of options to explore.
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down