The NBA's First EVER Chase-Down Block

4 posters

Go down

The NBA's First EVER Chase-Down Block Empty The NBA's First EVER Chase-Down Block

Post by bobheckler Sun Oct 03, 2021 11:15 am

https://celticswire.usatoday.com/2021/10/02/nba-boston-celtics-coleman-play-russell-1957-championship-history/

Bill Russell secures Boston's first banner with the NBA's first chase down block

Justin Quinn
October 2, 2021 7:00 am ET

The very first title of the storied Boston Celtics franchise’s 17 banners almost wasn’t, with the ultimate loser — the (then) St. Louis (now, Atlanta) Hawks — poised to win the 1957 NBA Finals via a layup as time expired to retake the lead.

But as if out of nowhere, a rookie Bill Russell bounded down the court after the breakaway play, committing the league’s very first example of a chase down block. The future Celtics legend would have many, many more rejections to his name as his Hall of Fame career progressed, but this was both Russell’s debut on the stage of basketball greats, and the birth of one of the league’s most dramatic plays.

Bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

The NBA's First EVER Chase-Down Block Empty Re: The NBA's First EVER Chase-Down Block

Post by dboss Sun Oct 03, 2021 11:38 am

Without even looking at the content here, I knew it was Big Bill Russell.

A true living legend. The ultimate GOAT.
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

The NBA's First EVER Chase-Down Block Empty Re: The NBA's First EVER Chase-Down Block

Post by RosalieTCeltics Mon Oct 04, 2021 11:42 am

He was such a joy to watch. You took him for granted alot of the time. I will forever think that he is the true Greatest basketball player ever. Keep all the points Jordan and LeBron have scored, no affected a game more than Russell. 11 rings, they seem to disregard that just because it was done way back when. He was awesome
RosalieTCeltics
RosalieTCeltics

Back to top Go down

Post by Ktron Mon Oct 04, 2021 2:27 pm

I watched a replay of the 1966 playoff semi game 4 vs. Cincinnati Royals this weekend.
C’s were down 2 games 1 in best of 5 at Cincy.
Russell took a total of 2 shots in the entire second half but appeared to get almost every defensive rebound (Against Wayne the wall Embry and Jerry Lucas)
Blocks so any shots I lost count, never got subbed and completely dominated the game.
There were no cheerleaders and music and crazy timeout contests (They did throw some cushioned lil bb’s to the pissed off crowd and showed the empty box when done) just good ole fundamental basketball.
Russell was the most athletic player out there but for me the game was just as fun to watch as it is today.
It’s on YouTube if you ever find the time to watch it you wont be disappointed.
BTW, the late Don Gillis was doing the play by play By himself. No 3 man in the booth Shiite here.

Ktron

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down