Post-game Thread: Celtics @Knicks 10/13/10

+3
mrkleen09
beat
Sam
7 posters

Go down

Post-game Thread: Celtics @Knicks 10/13/10 Empty Post-game Thread: Celtics @Knicks 10/13/10

Post by Sam Wed Oct 13, 2010 11:04 pm

Doc said, after the game, that, if it went to overtime, he was going to replace every guy on the floor. After that, Pierce said he had an 11:00 reservation and had to end the game.

I personally thought the first half was basically a yawn except for the technicals, which were coma-inducing. The second half more than made up for all that, finishing with playoff intensity (if not playoff polish). Harangody played all but 3 minutes of the second half (none in the first half), including many minutes at center down the stretch: 16 points and 12 rebounds in that stretch. Few Celtics since Cowens have displayed such tenacity going after rebounds; and he holds onto what he touches. He was my offensive player of the game, despite Pierce's great clutch jumper near the end. My defensive player of the game was Marquis Daniels, who was CONSTANTLY disrupting plays or altering point blank shots. I expect Delonte and Marquis to have a field day playing together—assuming they can both be healthy enough often enough.

Lasme just continues to demonstrate a great grasp of the game. He can't shoot a jumper to save his life, but he's another slasher for the second unit. And his defense is almost unquestioned. He made a couple of rookie gaffes tonight, but he really bothers his assignments out there.

I thought Paul was sleepwalking during much of the game. Then he seemed to get pissed and bulled his way in for an and-one and seemed to be "into" the game, including hitting that big jumper and making free throws late. In my book, tonight could well have been a turning point in the preseason for Harangody, Pierce and Daniels.

I've been dealing mainly with side issues, and I expect people like dboss will have much more to say about the dynamics of the game, so I'll quit here after observing that it's great for the younger players to see that effort wins close games.

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

https://samcelt.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Post-game Thread: Celtics @Knicks 10/13/10 Empty Re: Post-game Thread: Celtics @Knicks 10/13/10

Post by beat Thu Oct 14, 2010 8:33 am

Just to add a couple things. We certainly needs to work on getting out to cover the three point shooters. The knicks probably have as many as any team and we stuggled quite a bit getting out there to at least bother them. (at least in the first half)

I was thinking the same thing about Luke looking a little like a poor mans Big Red. Except Luke doesn't have the hops. He like Cowens fights for every rebound he's near.

Wasn't overly pleased that some of the guys played around 40 minutes in a pre season game. The win wasn't worth those minutes. I do realize our options were quite limited in the 2nd half with fouls and ejections and with our shortened bench to boot.

Was fun to watch a game go down to the wire and see how well we handled it. I only remember 1 turnover in the last 2-3 minutes.

beat

beat
beat

Back to top Go down

Post-game Thread: Celtics @Knicks 10/13/10 Empty Re: Post-game Thread: Celtics @Knicks 10/13/10

Post by mrkleen09 Thu Oct 14, 2010 8:59 am

Sam and Beat summed it up well. Couple of comments to add

-Nate Robinson looks GREAT. Not just good, great. He is playing composed, with confidence, digging down on defense, not backing down to people who bounce him around. I love what I am seeing from Nate and I don’t see any team in the NBA with a better 1-2 punch at PG.

-Marquis Daniels looks fantastic as well. Playing under control, tight D, smooth slashes, making good decisions with the ball. I am very excited about what he will bring…I think we will get the Quis we expected when DA brought him in….he looks poised for a breakout season.

-Luke is a scrappy player. He just made the team with his play last night.

-Lasme is another great energy guy. I think he is the 12th man or whatever the last slot is, and he will see some minutes in the regular season.

-Rondo is toying with people out there. As soon as the real games start (especially opening night against that mediocre back court in Miami) he will be on his game.

-Bradley is a player. He will make the team and be inserted in situations where we need a defensive stopper. He was in his man’s shirt and didn’t make any bad decisions with the basketball. He has a big big upside.

I am not at all concerned with the minutes from last night. All of the starters had the night off the night before, and Doc had no choice really.
mrkleen09
mrkleen09

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam Thu Oct 14, 2010 10:16 am

Despite the fact that playground style has consumed a lot of time in the five games so far (not surprising since so many new, and occasionally odd, rotations have been used), the Celtics are assisting on 59% of their field goal attempts.

Among the starters (despite the rotation at the starting center position), the figure swells to 73%, which is excellent. The second unit is only at 38%, and it has fallen off to 17% since Delonte has not been playing. Nate did have one 5-assist game, but it appears the second unit may need two combo guards on the floor in order to operate at something approaching peak efficiency.

Lasme is usually good for one or two assists a game, and I think he could be a really good all-around addition to the team. I don't believe he's a flash in the pan. His moves are made with in a calculated manner and are for effect rather than show.

If Harangody isn't an energizer bunny on this team, I don't know who is. His shot sometimes looks like a prayer, but he's obviously comfortable with it, not afraid to hoist one in the clutch. He also seems quite serviceable on defense although he's just one of many who still have a lot to learn on that end.

I'm repeating an earlier question when I ask who the heck is devising the defense for this team. I don't believe it's Frank, or he wouldn't be burdened with the added task of developing the scouting report for every game.

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

https://samcelt.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Post by beat Thu Oct 14, 2010 10:40 am

Sam,

Luke's shot reminds me a little of another former Knick, Jerry Lucas a little. Perhaps it is something to do with the name.

As to your last question...........I haven't a clue.

beat
beat
beat

Back to top Go down

Post by tjmakz Thu Oct 14, 2010 11:05 am

Luke has made a body transformation from a couple of years ago.
Even my son said to me: Is that Luke Harangody?
I expect him to be a solid offensive player in the NBA.
tjmakz
tjmakz

Back to top Go down

Post by jeb Thu Oct 14, 2010 11:35 am

Gentlemen just a gentle reminder. Marquis Daniels has been playing tough every game. He is shooting his j with confidence and it is going in, under pressure. If just he and Nate can improve as much as they have so far it is a giant upgrade.
J Oneal seems lost of offense but to have bought in 100% on d.

Happy for Luke over the last 2 games. He can score in bunches and has an uncanny nose for the ball. Somebody coached this kid well and its' my guess he is a gym rat to the 9's.

Somehow some way the moving screens have got to be addressed, though last night it was enough to get called just wearing green.
jeb
jeb

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Thu Oct 14, 2010 1:18 pm

Some meaningful stats from the game.

The knicks shot 42 free throws compared to 28 for Boston. Boston won in the paint 48-28, on ther glass, 47-36 and held NY to 41.3% from the field.

This game had the atmosphere of a regular season contest. At some point the Celtics really got serious and decided to win the game.

I was very impressed with Harangody. he came in and turned the game in our favor. His defense and his rebounding was great. This really makes me wonder how they will find minutes for him. Lets see how he does against more physical teams but I have a feeling it will not matter. This kid wants the ball.

Lasme and Daniels continue to impress. Rajon made some great steals.

KG's jumper was finally on although he did not get to use it much with the early ejection.

Sam, last night Doc said that when he hired Frank he told him that the defense must improve. I think Frank is running the defense. I think the defense looks pretty good. I see quick rotations for the most part and I think that once all the new guys get used to the way things need to be done, the team will be a top end defensive club.

I have one other comment I would like to make about Erden. He has a serious flaw in his game. It seems that everytime he makes 1,2, 3 moves he gets the ball knock out of his hand. From what I can see, if he takes the shot on the first or second move he would not be getting it blocked.

dboss

dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by mulcogiseng Thu Oct 14, 2010 3:09 pm

Back from my trip to New England, it sure was a lot of fun this year and no snow. Got to watch the final 4 minutes last night. It sure was clear that they decided to win the game. Happy to hear that Harangody is coming on. He is exactly the kind of player that Danny likes to get in the second round. It looks like things are shaping up for this year's edition to be really ready to play come Oct 26. Danny has assembled the best possible players for this years team given the cap and tax thresholds and what was available. The real question I have is will it be possible for this cast of characters to play without emotion and become the automatons that Stern seems to want playing the NBA game. Let's hope that is the biggest problem this team encounters this year.
mulcogiseng
mulcogiseng

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Thu Oct 14, 2010 4:39 pm

The rule change regarding technical fouls will impact teams that openly display a lot of emotions.

But I know that fans around the NBA will not be happy with seeing ejections for very minor infractions.

As a group Boston does needs to tone down their reactions to calls that do not go their way.

dboss
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by jeb Thu Oct 14, 2010 5:14 pm

dboss

Thats going to take some doing after the parade of Laker free throws in the 4th quarter of game 7. I mean some real guru type stuff.
jeb
jeb

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down