Russ to offer collectibles. Great interview on CBS morning show

4 posters

Go down

Russ to offer collectibles. Great interview on CBS morning show Empty Russ to offer collectibles. Great interview on CBS morning show

Post by Ktron Fri Dec 03, 2021 9:58 pm

One of the things Russ talked about was how the Boston Herald didn’t care to much for the Celtics back then.

https://sports.yahoo.com/bill-russells-historic-collection-offered-145709017.html?contentType=VIDEO

Ktron

Back to top Go down

Russ to offer collectibles. Great interview on CBS morning show Empty Re: Russ to offer collectibles. Great interview on CBS morning show

Post by RosalieTCeltics Sat Dec 04, 2021 11:29 am

Other than Steve Bulpett, who got let go from the Herald over a year ago, abd Mark Murphy, The Herald is a piece of trash.
RosalieTCeltics
RosalieTCeltics

Back to top Go down

Russ to offer collectibles. Great interview on CBS morning show Empty Re: Russ to offer collectibles. Great interview on CBS morning show

Post by bobheckler Thu Dec 09, 2021 11:43 am

https://www.basketballnetwork.net/shaq-plans-to-buy-all-11-of-bill-russells-championship-rings/

Shaq plans to buy all 11 of Bill Russell’s championship rings

DECEMBER 8, 2021
AUTHOR MATTHEW DUGANDZIC

There is no better individual achievement or feat in NBA history than Bill Russell winning 11 championship rings. The Celtics legend is widely regarded as one of the best centers and defensive players ever, with his impact on the NBA in the 50s and 60s going beyond basketball.

Social justice warrior ahead of his time

Although he was the star of the Boston Celtics, times were vastly different back then, as Russell faced racial injustice and insults from his own fans despite leading the team into countless championship runs. That inspired Russell to be bigger than basketball and fight for the rights of those that were discriminated against. But Russell was doing that in a time that wasn’t open-minded and accepting as today, without nearly the amount of money in his pocket the guys have today.

The huge auction

That, mixed with his illustrious basketball legacy, made Bill Russell a legend and favorite around the whole NBA community even to this day. At almost 88 years old, Russell is still active in the NBA waters. The latest news around the Celtics legend is that he is putting up hundreds of memorabilia up for auction in Boston, hoping to raise money for a group named “Mentor” that Bill is very close with. Everything is up for grabs, from rings, jerseys, cards, warmups, awards, game balls to trophies.

The NBA On TNT panel talked about the big auction last night, with Charles saying he will probably bid on something. Shaq was a bit more particular with his choice, as he pointed out how he wants to have all 11 of Russell rings:

“I would have liked to seen the item before the auction. I would like to take some of that stuff off their hand. To be able to have all eleven of his rings, nobody’s outbidding me on that one.”
Shaquille O’Neal, NBA On TNT

That would be a boss move from Shaq, as we all know his obsession with numbers of championships and rings. Sure, “The Big Diesel” maybe didn’t win them, but he would still try to get eleven of them bad boys in his collection. After all, the type of player, person, and winner Russell represented is what Shaq always strived to be. Getting something so valuable from one of his idols would definitely mean a big deal to Shaq.

The rest of the panel agreed as they all discussed some of their favorite and funniest Russell stories. Whenever people talk about Bill Russell, you can just see how much of an influence he had on everyone around. That is why even 50+ years later, we still consider him the biggest winner in basketball history. I’m pretty sure that memorabilia will be snatched quickly as I can only be jealous I can’t get any of those items.

Bob
MY NOTE: Hey Wyc! How about spending some of your billions and bringing all of Russ' rings home?

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by RosalieTCeltics Thu Dec 09, 2021 3:23 pm

I wonder why that is not being done, but, I remember when Cousy sold off all his stuff to give the money to his grandkids for education, no one made a big deal out of it.

Russ has reached the age where, whatever his kids wanted he gave to them, and then, while still alive and "with it" can direct where the money would go. He started the Mentoring program many many years ago, and it has become one of the pieces of Celtic pride. Right now, Jaylen is mentoring a few kids, and not long after he got here, Grant Williams met a bunch of kids that he is involved with, mentoring regularly. They love him. Marcus is also involved with this program. This is a great, so what better place to donate the money than to something so near and dear to him. I also read that there is something in the Shamrock Foundation that he is donating to. His legacy will live on and on. I think this is awesome.

As far as Shaq is concerned, I have no feelings about this other than the fact that he has so much money he can afford whatever he wants.

Me??? I would love that last ring......that was a team that came out of 4th place and won it all in LA, a joy to watch, Sam and Russ's last year as Celtics. Johnny took over after that. I have wonderful memories of that playoff, beginning to end.

Just sad to see him doing this, time is flying by.
RosalieTCeltics
RosalieTCeltics

Back to top Go down

Post by willjr Thu Dec 09, 2021 5:14 pm

MY NOTE: Hey Wyc! How about spending some of your billions and bringing all of Russ' rings home?

Excellent suggestion BobH, Celtic history and accomplishments belong in the Celtic family. Heck, if Vince McMahon can purchase personal  artifacts and memorabilia from retired wrestlers who made his company the industry leader, this should be an absolute no brainer for Celtics ownership.
willjr
willjr

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Sat Dec 11, 2021 2:30 pm

https://news.yahoo.com/auction-bill-russells-memorabilia-nets-031431211.html?fr=sycsrp_catchall

Auction of Bill Russell's memorabilia nets more than $5M

Russ to offer collectibles. Great interview on CBS morning show 3d54b27ec19583fe16ad3a144b2de91c
The 1969 game worn jersey of Boston Celtics' legend Bill Russell is displayed along with other memorabilia set to go up for auction, Thursday, Dec. 9, 2021, in Boston. Basketball fans hoping to buy something from Bill Russell's memorabilia collection should expect some big-name competition. Hall of Famers Shaquille O'Neal and Charles Barkley say they're interested in bidding on items that Russell is selling off. An online auction with 429 lots began last week and will culminate in a live event at the TD Garden on Friday, Dec. 10, 2021. (AP Photo/Charles Krupa)

Russ to offer collectibles. Great interview on CBS morning show B8a40841aa70bfff505d893131f8dd6c
The 1956 Olympics gold medal of Boston Celtics' legend Bill Russell is displayed along with other memorabilia set to go up for auction, Thursday, Dec. 9, 2021, in Boston. Basketball fans hoping to buy something from Bill Russell's memorabilia collection should expect some big-name competition. Hall of Famers Shaquille O'Neal and Charles Barkley say they're interested in bidding on items that Russell is selling off. An online auction with 429 lots began last week and will culminate in a live event at the TD Garden on Friday, Dec. 10, 2021. (AP Photo/Charles Krupa)

Russ to offer collectibles. Great interview on CBS morning show 3d5e5a11241c28ebc428f10f75d584b4
A basketball, honoring the 20,000th rebound by Boston Celtics' legend Bill Russell is displayed along with other memorabilia set to go up for auction, Thursday, Dec. 9, 2021, in Boston. Basketball fans hoping to buy something from Bill Russell's memorabilia collection should expect some big-name competition. Hall of Famers Shaquille O'Neal and Charles Barkley say they're interested in bidding on items that Russell is selling off. An online auction with 429 lots began last week and will culminate in a live event at the TD Garden on Friday, Dec. 10, 2021. (AP Photo/Charles Krupa)

Russ to offer collectibles. Great interview on CBS morning show 58509c1248cfddc30760efcf80e85841
A variety of items set to go up for auction from the collection of Boston Celtics' legend Bill Russell is displayed, Thursday, Dec. 9, 2021, in Boston. Basketball fans hoping to buy something from Bill Russell's memorabilia collection should expect some big-name competition. Hall of Famers Shaquille O'Neal and Charles Barkley say they're interested in bidding on items that Russell is selling off. An online auction with 429 lots began last week and will culminate in a live event at the TD Garden on Friday, Dec. 10, 2021. (AP Photo/Charles Krupa)

Russ to offer collectibles. Great interview on CBS morning show 6c88f10bb514ee3c43d281c3e59eb600
FILE - Boston Celtics legendary player Bill Russell is greeted at his seat before Game 1 of an NBA basketball second-round playoff series between the Boston Celtics and the Philadelphia 76ers, Monday, April 30, 2018, in Boston. Basketball fans hoping to buy something from Bill Russell’s memorabilia collection should expect some big-name competition. Hall of Famers Shaquille O’Neal and Charles Barkley say they're interested in bidding on items that Russell — a civil rights icon and the most decorated champion in team sports history — is selling off. An online auction with 429 lots began last week and will culminate in a live event at the TD Garden on Friday, Dec. 10, 2021 (AP Photo/Elise Amendola, File)

Russ to offer collectibles. Great interview on CBS morning show 1df4a5e5a042672d7f4d97fb85540e7b
FILE - NBA great Bill Russell reacts at a as he learns the most valuable player award for the NBA basketball championships has been renamed the Bill Russell NBA Finals Most Valuable Player Award during a news conference Feb. 14, 2009 in Phoenix. Basketball fans hoping to buy something from Bill Russell’s memorabilia collection should expect some big-name competition. Hall of Famers Shaquille O’Neal and Charles Barkley say they're interested in bidding on items that Russell — a civil rights icon and the most decorated champion in team sports history — is selling off. An online auction with 429 lots began last week and will culminate in a live event at the TD Garden on Friday, Dec. 10, 2021 (AP Photo/Matt York, File)

BOSTON (AP) — The jersey that Boston Celtics Hall of Famer Bill Russell wore for his final game — the 1969 NBA Finals clincher that earned him his 11th championship — sold for more than $1.1 million at an auction held Friday night at the TD Garden.

Other lots drawing spirited bidding included Russell’s first championship ring, which went for $705,000, and his 1956 Olympic gold medal, which sold for $587,500. Russell’s five NBA MVP trophies were also up for auction, with their combined sale prices topping $1.3 million.

The auction featured 429 lots accumulated by Russell over a career in which he won two NCAA titles, 11 NBA championships in 13 years and the 1956 Olympic gold medal. The top 18 items alone brought in more than $5.3 million.

Russell was also active in the civil rights movement, marching with Martin Luther King Jr. and standing with Muhammad Ali when he was stripped of his heavyweight title for refusing induction into the Vietnam War. A page from Russell's scrapbook that included a signed letter from Jackie Robinson sold for $94,000.

The 87-year-old Russell has pledged some of the proceeds to MENTOR, which connects young people with advisers who can provide them with opportunities they might otherwise miss out on, and to the Boston Celtics United for Social Justice, which fights racial injustice and social inequities in the Greater Boston area.

Bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by RosalieTCeltics Sat Dec 11, 2021 3:35 pm

They sold my ring!!!!!!!!!!!!!
RosalieTCeltics
RosalieTCeltics

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down