Al Horford rumors: Boston Celtics made ‘pretty healthy’ offer, per ESPN’s Jackie MacMullan; Mavericks may offer $112 million

2 posters

Go down

Al Horford rumors: Boston Celtics made ‘pretty healthy’ offer, per ESPN’s Jackie MacMullan; Mavericks may offer $112 million Empty Al Horford rumors: Boston Celtics made ‘pretty healthy’ offer, per ESPN’s Jackie MacMullan; Mavericks may offer $112 million

Post by bobheckler Sat Jun 22, 2019 1:29 am

https://www.masslive.com/celtics/2019/06/al-horford-rumors-boston-celtics-made-horford-a-pretty-healthy-4-year-offer-per-espns-jackie-macmullan.html

Al Horford rumors: Boston Celtics made ‘pretty healthy’ offer, per ESPN’s Jackie MacMullan; Mavericks may offer $112 million

Updated Jun 21, 4:20 PM;
Posted Jun 21, 4:13 PM

By John Karalis | JKaralis@masslive.com

Al Horford’s return to the Boston Celtics felt like a foregone conclusion. Danny Ainge called bringing Horford back on longer-term deal a team priority. Even when he opted-out of his $30 million player option for this season, everyone expected that it was to sign one last long-term contract to keep him in Boston for the long-haul.

Instead, it was announced that Horford is very likely leaving and that he might have a four-year, $100 million deal waiting for him somewhere. According to ESPN’s Jackie MacMullan, Boston also made Horford a four-year offer.

“I think the Celtics made him a good offer. I can’t tell you what it was, but I do think they made him a four-year offer that was a pretty healthy one,” she said on the Hoop Collective podcast. “Think about that. I think Al’s 37 at the end of that contract, so it’s not like they said they’re going to lowball Al Horford. But what this tells me... there are teams out there that are very interested in Al Horford, and one of them, I believe, is the Dallas Mavericks. So, I think there’s going to be some big money there for Al Horford.”

Later in the podcast, Brian Windhorst said there’s a number floating out there with the Mavericks.

When he brought it up, MacMullan said “112.”

“Four years, $112 million is the number floating around," Windhorst said.

This isn’t the first time we’ve heard the Dallas Mavericks as the front-runner for Horford’s services. Teams in the Western Conference seem especially interested in getting Horford and trying to take advantage of the Golden State Warriors apparent demise (at least in the short term). Not only would they be getting a very good defender, they’d be getting a professional who has everyone’s respect, even if some raw numbers don’t show up in every box score.

“It’s just easy to take Al Horford for granted because he’s such a professional,” MacMullan said. “He’s a darling of the coaching staff and in the locker room. The young guys the young guys like and respect him. And he always does the right thing. And in fairness to Al Horford, he’s doing the exact right thing for himself.”

bob
MY NOTE:  I love Al as much as anybody but Mark Cuban has lost his mind.

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Al Horford rumors: Boston Celtics made ‘pretty healthy’ offer, per ESPN’s Jackie MacMullan; Mavericks may offer $112 million Empty Re: Al Horford rumors: Boston Celtics made ‘pretty healthy’ offer, per ESPN’s Jackie MacMullan; Mavericks may offer $112 million

Post by wideclyde Sat Jun 22, 2019 5:49 am

Horford was a good player in Boston for two of his three years, but never was really worthy of his max level contract. And, now if someone is offering him over $25 M per year for the next four years as he ages out to 37 there is just no way that Ainge can keep him.

He brings a lot to a team as he has shown us, but at $28 M he is basically going to be paid another max deal at a time in his career where age is highly likely to further rob him of his athleticism and production. I can see him averaging less than 10 ppg and less than 5 rpg in all of the last three years of a four year contract no matter what he will make per year, and that is if he stays healthy. His new contract, if the reports are correct, will be an albatross for his signing team for most of its duration.

Good luck to Horford, however, because he is a class act.

wideclyde

Back to top Go down