dbrown4
6 posters

Go down

POST GAME UTAH JAZZ - AWAY Empty POST GAME UTAH JAZZ - AWAY

Post by 112288 Fri Dec 03, 2021 11:40 pm

Celtics Wrap: You Can Feel Good About 137-130 Loss To Jazz
Best game of the season anyway?

by Alexandra Francisco

Unfortunately for the Celtics, one of their best performances yet came in a loss to the Utah Jazz that came down to the wire.

With the 133-127 result, the Jazz improve to 15-7 on the season, while the Celtics fall to 12-11, despite great effort on both ends.

ONE BIG TAKEAWAY
At least this was the first loss you could feel good about. The Celtics really can run with anyone this year, if they want.

Against a top team in the NBA, this was easily the most fluid Boston’s offense has looked all season. The defenses went at it all game, but some of the shot making was exceptional on both sides. The Celtics had great strategy of pulling Rudy Gobert out of the lane to get to the basket, and ball movement was something to be proud of. Throw in the Celtics taking advantage of 19 turnovers, and it was a great game from start to finish.

Ultimately, you just have to tip your cap to a balanced Utah squad. The Jazz are just really good, and not much you can do about Mike Conley (7-for-7 from 3-point range) and Donovan Mitchell down the stretch there.

STARS OF THE GAME
— Tatum had a stretch in the third with eight strait points, where his takeover truly started. But he excelled within the Celtics’ offensive scheme, displaying his ridiculous upper body control on a number of finishes under the basket. He was in the bag. Tatum finished with a game-high 37 points, six boards, five assists and a block.

— Al Horford was a huge part of Boston’s game plan. He simply looked unbelievable in the first half, getting out to 19 points. By the time it was said and done, he had 21 points, five boards, nine assists, a steal and a block. Deeper than the box score, Horford helped Boston space the floor and pull Rudy Gobert out of the post, allowing the rest of the team to attack.

— Let’s hear it for the ball handlers. Dennis Schröder (26 points, three assists, two rebounds, one steal) Marcus Smart (15 points, two rebounds, two assists, four steals) and Josh Richardson (11 points, three rebounds, one assist, two steals).

Smart in particular had a clutch three late in the fourth, and put Gobert on a poster. It was nasty.

UP NEXT
It’s a quick turnaround for Boston, who head out to Portland on Saturday to face the Trail Blazers. Tip off is at 10 p.m. ET.

Back to top Go down

POST GAME UTAH JAZZ - AWAY Empty Re: POST GAME UTAH JAZZ - AWAY

Post by dbrown4 Sat Dec 04, 2021 7:11 am

Well put. As I watched this game I was thinking we're going to beat these guys because of the Law of Averages absolutely, positively has to kick in at ANY moment! The 3-shooting was ridiculous by the Jazz. And they weren't wide open looks either.

But the Law of Averages never kicked in. It tried. JT, AH, MS and Menace all had great games.

I'm teetering whether to put this at the top of the forgettable heap or move it into the stellar performance bracket even though it was a loss.

Something that kept popping up in my head while watching was the missing JB factor. We could say, "Well, if JB had been back and 100%, we would have kicked their asses." Not so sure. Maybe. Then I started putting the GM hat on and considering what kind of game changer can we really get for JB. Would Beal work well with JT?

Brad is really in a quandary. Do you keep waiting for the full complement of players to play together and see if that's the winning formula or do you pull the plug on the J-squares experiment? If our past history of the waiting out the injuries has taught us anything, I think we may know the answer but might not be ready to face it because we really haven't seen this dynamic duo in action together for very long stints despite being together for quite some time. If moves are going to be made I'm sure the deadlines are fast upon us. We'll know soon enough whether this team as currently constructed will be around come June, but the team that was on the floor last night made me really proud...even sans JB. Our guys can ball with the best.

Again, we are back to either grow into it by waiting out the injuries or shake it up. What's it going to be, Brad? Will you love me forever? Let me think on it! (Thanks, Meatloaf!)

db
dbrown4
dbrown4

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Sat Dec 04, 2021 11:01 am

Hey DB well just a 7 point spread, lol

That was some barrage launched by the Jazz.  The Celtics did not play poorly and were right in the game.

I was disappointed that we lost and I think Ime should not have taken Robert Williams out of the game.

At 6:51 in the 4th  Rob gets an offensive rebound/tip in to tie the game at 109-109.

At 6:40 he gets fouled and walks down the other end of the court and calmly nails 2-2 free throws putting us up 111-110.

At 6:26 he's defending on the perimeter and blocks Jordan Clarkston 29 foot 3 point attempt.

At 6:13 Rob makes a dunk off of a cut to the basket and a great feed from Tatum putting us up 113-109.

At 4:47 Ime  subs Rob out for Horford.  We are up 115-112 as JT is making 2 freebees.

That was the turning point in the game and a big momentum change.  Al was already cooked well done at that point.  He had a fantastic 19 point first half but only scored 2 points in the second half.

As the game winded down we gave up B2B alleyopp dunks to Gorbert,  several 3 pointers to Conley and Mitchell (plus 2 driving layups)

Al got burned on at least two of those 3 point shots and both alleyopps.

Here is the bottom Line.  RW only played 15 minutes.  Al played 35 minutes.  Rob is the only player on this team that has the physical ability to challenge a 3 point shot.  They murdered us all night on threes.  Boston had great momentum going down the stretch in the 4th with Rob in there.  Ime should have brought Al in and kept Robert Williams in there as well.  If we were going to win this barn burner it was going to have to happen at the defensive end.

They had no answer for Robert and his intensity.

Ime can take this loss because he deserves it.
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Sat Dec 04, 2021 11:31 am

63% of their 81 fgas were 3s. 63%. They shot 53% on them. It is really, really hard to beat the worst team in the NBA, and the Utah Jazz most certainly are not that, when they're shooting like that.

Brian Robb @BrianTRobb
about 10 hours ago
The Celtics had their best shooting night of the season against Jazz (51.6 percent) and Utah still shot better from 3-point range (52 percent) than Boston did from the field.

Boston Celtics @celtics
yesterday
Coach Udoka: "To only lose by seven with a team shooting that hot, it shows our effort and the way we played hard tonight."

Brian Robb
Brian Robb @BrianTRobb
about 10 hours ago
Al Horford on Celtics play amid Utah's shooting: "We kept fighting."

34 year old Mike Conley was 7-7 from 3. That's insane.

I've watched this almost a dozen times. Love it.

Another throwback game by Big Al. He knows how tough this road trip is going to be and he is leading from the front. 21 points on 8-14, 3-8 from 3, 6 rebounds and 9 assists with only 1 turnover. Sorry to beat a dead horse but there's no way I can see Brad's trade of Kemba for Al as not being a steal. Kemba was a Coaches-DNP in their loss to Chicago on Thursday. Not only benched, but falling off the end of the bench. #25 pick rookie Quentin Grimes got more minutes than Kemba. On the other hand, Al is averaging 29mpg for us and played 34 last night.

Remember when our turnovers were killing us? Only 6 last night. That's really frippin' good, especially on the road.

Other than losing the game I really don't have many complaints about this one. We only turned the ball over 6 times and had 9 steals. They had 19 turnovers and only 3 steals. We maximized our possessions by not handing it back to them and we disrupted their offense. Their shooting, which was unreal and probably won't be repeated again this year, is what saved their butts. We just caught them on the wrong night.

https://www.espn.com/nba/boxscore/_/gameId/401360163

Bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Sat Dec 04, 2021 12:33 pm

dboss wrote:Hey DB well just a 7 point spread, lol

That was some barrage launched by the Jazz.  The Celtics did not play poorly and were right in the game.

I was disappointed that we lost and I think Ime should not have taken Robert Williams out of the game.

At 6:51 in the 4th  Rob gets an offensive rebound/tip in to tie the game at 109-109.

At 6:40 he gets fouled and walks down the other end of the court and calmly nails 2-2 free throws putting us up 111-110.

At 6:26 he's defending on the perimeter and blocks Jordan Clarkston 29 foot 3 point attempt.

At 6:13 Rob makes a dunk off of a cut to the basket and a great feed from Tatum putting us up 113-109.

At 4:47 Ime  subs Rob out for Horford.  We are up 115-112 as JT is making 2 freebees.

That was the turning point in the game and a big momentum change.  Al was already cooked well done at that point.  He had a fantastic 19 point first half but only scored 2 points in the second half.

As the game winded down we gave up B2B alleyopp dunks to Gorbert,  several 3 pointers to Conley and Mitchell (plus 2 driving layups)

Here is the bottom Line.  RW only played 15 minutes.  Al played 35 minutes.  Rob is the only player on this team that has the physical ability to challenge a 3 point shot.  They murdered us all night on threes.  Boston had great momentum going down the stretch in the 4th with Rob in there.  Ime should have brought Al in and kept Robert Williams in there as well.  If we were going to win this barn burner it was going to have to happen at the defensive end.

Right I questioned taking RWill out on the Game On thread, kitron said RWill asked to be taken out….maybe they are on a minutes restriction with a b2b tonight? What a shame, we played so hard and kept coming back at them and had the game….damn.

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Sat Dec 04, 2021 12:55 pm

BobH

Not to be a Debbie Downer but I am not so certain that last night's game is any measure of confirmation that AH was a steal. Actually Al Horford may be a lot of things but he was no steal.

But forget about that. Let's take a closer look at his contribution last night.

The game is 48 minutes long.

Big Al put up some nice numbers in the first half but in the 2nd half he flat out sucked.

3rd QTR 3 defensive rebounds, 2 points no assists.

4th QTR 1 block shot, 1 defensive rebound, 1 assist and zero points. As matter of fact his last score was at the beginning of the 3rd QTR with around 11 minutes remaining.

So you get 19 points, 2 rebounds and 8 assists in the first half and then 2 points, 4 rebounds 1 assist and 1 block in the 2nd half. On the defensive end of the court he was repeatedly victimized by the Jazz inside and outside down the stretch with the game on the line. He got burned for at least 10 points from the time he reentered the game at the 4:47 mark of the 4th.

Let's see if Big Al shows up tonight.

dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Sat Dec 04, 2021 1:00 pm

cowens/oldschool wrote:

Right I questioned taking RWill out on the Game On thread, kitron said RWill asked to be taken out….maybe they are on a minutes restriction with a b2b tonight? What a shame, we played so hard and kept coming back at them and had the game….damn.

Cow

I am quite certain the Rob did not ask ktron to be taken out the game, Laughing

I listened to the post game and Ime was asked about subbing rob out and Ime said something related to matchups. No mention of minute restrictions just another dumb ass coaching decision.
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Sat Dec 04, 2021 1:01 pm

Sean Grande @SeanGrandePBP
about 8 hours ago
While Mike Conley's ridiculous 7-for-7 on 3's Friday night moved him up to the 2nd in the league, Grant Williams made 2 of 3. The same player who missed his first 25 3's as a rookie just two years ago... ...now ranks 7th in the NBA at 44.2%

Bob
MY NOTE:  Grant's 3pt fg% in his rookie year was 25% (24-96).  Clearly those early 3 pt misses had gotten into his head.  You could see it everytime he took his next 3.  As a rookie, when you are in a high profile drought like that it is hard to keep your morale up and just fight your way out of your funk.  The one consistent thing you hear veterans telling young'uns who have fallen down the depth chart, like Nesmith and Pritchard have, is "keep your mindset positive and keep working".  If you subtract those first 25, call them 'rookie nerves' that do not truly represent his capabilities if you want, his rookie 3pt fg% becomes 33.8%.  Still not good, but not 'fugly'.  His career 3pt fg% is now a respectable (not great, but not 'fugly') 35%.  If you, once again, cut him slack for his rookie drought and subtract those 25 his career 3pt fg% after those first 25 becomes a much more respectable 38.3%.

Fact Checking Grande's tweet I don't see Grant at 7th, I see him at 11.  At some point players like Rudy Gay, Cody Martin and Jalen McDaniels, possibly even Valanciunas, will fall off this list due to an insufficient number of 3pt fgas and Grant will move up.  Also, a bad shooting night from 3 by Powell and Towns will move him up too.  He's technically tied for 9th, trailing in fgas.

Ranking.....Player............................3pt fg%...........3pt fgas
1..............PJ Washington................48.9%..............90  
2..............Rudy Gay.......................48.7%..............57
3..............Patty Mills......................46.2%..............147  
4..............Cody Martin...................47.6%..............49
5..............Mike Conley...................47.0%..............115
6.............Jonas Valanciunas..........46.9%...............64
7.............Joe Harris......................46.6%...............88
8.............Jalen McDaniels.............45.5%...............44
9.............Norman Powell...............44.2%...............86
10...........Karl-Anthony Towns.......44.2%..............129
11...........Grant Williams...............44.2%..............77

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Sat Dec 04, 2021 1:50 pm

dboss wrote:
cowens/oldschool wrote:

Cow

I am quite certain the Rob did not ask ktron to be taken out the game, Laughing

I listened to the post game and Ime was asked about subbing rob out and Ime said something related to matchups.  No mention of minute restrictions just another dumb ass coaching decision.

Good so he’s not injured, as you know he’s our Rodman, a big difference maker.

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by Ktron Sat Dec 04, 2021 5:41 pm

Dboss,
Rob let coach know that he needed to take him out. Rob only played 15 minutes and there was a reason for that. There’s also medical reasons that they’re not sharing. Ime doesn’t deserve this loss anymore than the entire team does.

Ktron

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Sat Dec 04, 2021 6:17 pm

Ktron wrote:

Dboss,
Rob let coach know that he needed to take him out. Rob only played 15 minutes and there was a reason for that. There’s also medical reasons that they’re not sharing. Ime doesn’t deserve this loss anymore than the entire team does.
Ktron 

Coach deserves credit when we win and blame when we lose.  It goes both ways.

He made a decision to go small.  Jazz were +14 on the glass including 9 offensive rebounds.  Grant played 27 minutes, was 2-3, 1 rebound and 3 assists to go along with 5 (I cannot check anybody so I just foul)

Rob played 4:08 total minutes in the 4th and Al was toast.  You play him 34 minutes knowing we got a game tonight.  

All that switching exposed AH so expect to see less of him tonight.  Tonight will be a trap game.
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by Ktron Sat Dec 04, 2021 6:19 pm

dboss wrote:BobH

Not to be a Debbie Downer but I am not so certain that last night's game is any measure of confirmation that AH was a steal.  Actually Al Horford may be a lot of things but he was no steal.

But forget about that.  Let's take a closer look at his contribution last night.

The game is 48 minutes long.

Big Al put up some nice numbers in the first half but in the 2nd half he flat out sucked.

3rd QTR 3 defensive rebounds, 2 points no assists.

4th QTR 1 block shot, 1 defensive rebound, 1 assist and zero points.  As  matter of fact his last score was at the beginning of the 3rd QTR with around 11 minutes remaining.  

So you get 19 points, 2 rebounds and 8 assists in the first half and then 2 points, 4 rebounds 1 assist and 1 block in the 2nd half.  On the defensive end of the court he was repeatedly victimized by the Jazz inside and outside down the stretch with the game on the line.  He got burned for at least 10 points from the time he reentered the game at the 4:47 mark of the 4th.  

Let's see if Big Al shows up tonight.

Please take into consideration that Al is 35. We’re fortunate that he played that well because we cannot count on it every night so in my opinion he did not suck last night. Kemba is coming up on 32. May have not been a steal but its safe to say the C’s got the better of the deal.

Ktron

Back to top Go down

Post by Ktron Sat Dec 04, 2021 6:21 pm

dboss wrote:
Ktron wrote:

Dboss,
Ktron 

He made a decision to go small.  Jazz were +14 on the glass including 9 offensive rebounds.  Grant played 27 minutes, was 2-3, 1 rebound and 3 assists to go along with 5 (I cannot check anybody so I just foul)

Rob played 4:08 total minutes in the 4th and Al was toast.  You play him 34 minutes knowing we got a game tonight.  

You singled out coach saying he deserved the loss. No where in your post did you say the team deserved the loss. That too go’s both ways.
All that switching exposed AH so expect to see less of him tonight.  Tonight will be a trap game.

Ktron

Back to top Go down

Post by Ktron Sat Dec 04, 2021 6:32 pm

Ktron wrote:
dboss wrote:
Ktron wrote:

Dboss,
Ktron 

You singled out coach saying he deserved the loss. No where in your post did you say the team deserved the loss. That too go’s both ways.

Ktron

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Sat Dec 04, 2021 11:23 pm

Yes the team did deserve the loss as well.

And no I did not say Al sucked.  I said he sucked in the 2nd half.

I know how old he is but does Ime?

Anyways it is halftime of the Blazers game and as you know Al is out with a back issue (cannot play b2b)
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by Ktron Sun Dec 05, 2021 3:37 pm

dboss wrote:Yes the team did deserve the loss as well.

And no I did not say Al sucked.  I said he sucked in the 2nd half.

I know how old he is but does Ime?

Anyways it is halftime of the Blazers game and as you know Al is out with a back issue (cannot play b2b)

You did state that Al sucked in the 2nd half. I referenced that but did not further elaborate as to when Al began to suck. Okay so he half sucked according to you. I don’t agree that he sucked at all but no worries. Of course Ime knows how old he is but you’re conveniently avoiding the fact that Rob only played 15 minutes and was not on the floor at the end. There was a legitimate reason for that. We all wanted Rob out there and I have enough confidence in Ime’s expertise that he did or did not do what he had to do.

Ktron

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down