Outside
jeb
beat
dbrown4
9 posters

Go down

Interesting LeBron story via ESPN Empty Interesting LeBron story via ESPN

Post by dbrown4 Thu Oct 21, 2010 2:22 pm

Read this and listened to the video at the end. It addressed the race issue we discussed earlier among other things. Still not sure I get it, but helpful nonetheless. I'm sure the Celtics aren't too worried as long as Miami comes through Boston in the playoffs and returns to Miami empty handed. Guess LeBron will just have to get madder. Tickets to the Charles Barkley Club are still available.

BTW, anything on the labor talks lately? Haven't heard a peep for a while. Just curious.

http://espn.go.com/blog/truehoopmiamiheat/post/_/id/232/lebron-james-burning-inside
dbrown4
dbrown4

Back to top Go down

Interesting LeBron story via ESPN Empty Re: Interesting LeBron story via ESPN

Post by beat Thu Oct 21, 2010 2:32 pm

Dboss

If you really want a chuckle scroll down to the bottom of the piece and read some of the comments........................

I never knew Jeb had so many alias's (just kidding Jeb)

beat
beat
beat

Back to top Go down

Post by dbrown4 Thu Oct 21, 2010 2:51 pm

Nice catch. Very entertaining. I don't know why I want this guy, more than any other, not to win an NBA championship. I just do. And I'm not a vindictive person. Completely the opposite. I'm sure it has everything to do with portrayal.
dbrown4
dbrown4

Back to top Go down

Post by jeb Thu Oct 21, 2010 3:51 pm

Beat

I once really liked the guy's game. Thought he had elements of Larry and Mag, felt the future of the game was solid due to his style. But damn dawg he just keeps doing one bad thing after another. The handshake thing is when the worm turned for me...since then he digs the hole deeper with a giant backhoe every time he opens his mouth.

Jeb
jeb
jeb

Back to top Go down

Post by Outside Thu Oct 21, 2010 4:09 pm

Anyone who sends hate mail (or tweets, or whatever) is an idiot, plain and simple. However...

On PTI yesterday, Kornheiser and Wilbon made the point that athletes are largely insulated from negative reactions by living in a cocoon of handlers and that most high-profile people receive hate mail. They said LeBron should look at the stuff they've received. Their take is that this is the way it is, and he needs to accept it and not get so worked up about it. It's a shame things are that way, but I agree with their take.

I've also heard or read from multiple sources that black people tend to consider the LeBron backlash to have a racially motivated aspect while white people tend to think that race isn't part of the backlash. I fit that generalization -- I'm white, and for me, his behavior is the reason for my dislike, not his race. I also believe that is the case for most people, so I have trouble understanding why LeBron in particular and black Americans in general feel that it's racially motivated. However, I can recognize that that's how they feel and that black Americans have a long history of discrimination that affects their views, and that as a white American, I have the luxury of not being subjected to that.

It will be great if someday everyone can form their opinions on the content of someone's character, not the color of their skin (to paraphrase Martin Luther King), but we're apparently not there yet, so I think I need to temper my negative assessment of LeBron somewhat. But that doesn't mean I have to root for him or think the way he's handled himself is right. He has the potential to redeem himself, but (for me) that will be based on his actions from here on out. He has to earn it, just like anyone should. In the meantime, I'm rooting against the Heat.

Outside
Outside
Outside

Back to top Go down

Post by sinus007 Thu Oct 21, 2010 4:57 pm

Hi,
A couple of points.
First, this Brian Windhorst is big time LJ's ass kisser. He used to be sports writer on Plain Dealer staff. Now he moved to Miami. I bet LJ played a role in this move.
Second, what a shame to perpetuate this racist crap that was started by a foolish remark by this maveric. Now if LJ falls on his face (I really hope) it will be due to the color of his skin?
How much lower can you slip, LeBron?

AK
sinus007
sinus007

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam Thu Oct 21, 2010 5:10 pm

Anyone on this board who disagrees with anything I say is prejudiced against short, balding people.

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

https://samcelt.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Post by Matty Thu Oct 21, 2010 11:06 pm

Outside wrote:...I've also heard or read from multiple sources that black people tend to consider the LeBron backlash to have a racially motivated aspect while white people tend to think that race isn't part of the backlash. I fit that generalization -- I'm white, and for me, his behavior is the reason for my dislike, not his race. I also believe that is the case for most people, so I have trouble understanding why LeBron in particular and black Americans in general feel that it's racially motivated. However, I can recognize that that's how they feel and that black Americans have a long history of discrimination that affects their views, and that as a white American, I have the luxury of not being subjected to that....

Well...........

This whole race card thing is really something else that keeps being brought up with Lebron..

ive heard a few things here and there about how black folks have gotten a raw deal here in america historically. Mmmm too bad. Really, too bad.

I just dont feel too badly about it though, history is full of racial/ethnic groups of people who've had it rough at one point or another. The jews for example. The UmplaLumpa's had it really rough for a time too.. ethnic cleansing has been all the rage in africa, some parts of europe and the middle east for quite some time. Yup, tis true, Bummer i know.

why in the very spot Lebron's people have historically had it so rough (america) the native's often fought and gave their lives defending the land that was pretty much stolen from them, a rather large chuck of realestate known as North America.. (wont bother going into the treatment of Injuns besides taking our lands)

yup its a raw deal, but human history is full of such stories. Its not that i dont have compassion for those affected, but to dwell on whats happened is to allow oneself to remain a victom, which is a personal choice.

If lebron wants to prescribe a certian veiwpoint to the white folks, to what does he accredit the same veiwpoint coming from a native american Injun?

when it comes to the race card mr. King Nothing might think he's got a good hand, but my aces top his kings any day of the week and twice on sunday.

His people had it bad? My were skrewed even worse. Maybe he's personally actauly expereinced racism pointed at him.. mmm ok. My sister was murdered because of the color of her skin.

I dont like Lebron James, its nothing to do with his skin color, its cuz the dood is a egotistical jerk.

btw, last week me and a freind were talking about the King Nothing backlash and he thinks Lebron was "an a$$" about how he handled things.. and that freind is a mexican

so we got the white folks, the injuns and mexicans all thinking he's a jerk. cant speak for the asians, polynisians, and middle eastern folks ect.. ect.. but its starting to look like, uh well, hows that old saying go???

if it walks like a duck, looks like a duck and quacks like a duck......?
Matty
Matty

Back to top Go down

Post by Outside Fri Oct 22, 2010 12:35 am

I'm sorry for bringing up what I did. Race is such a powder keg of an issue. I apologize to the board as a whole. Matty, I apologize to you for evoking such painful thoughts and memories. I should've known better, and I won't stray into any issue like that again.
Outside
Outside

Back to top Go down

Post by jeb Fri Oct 22, 2010 1:49 pm

Outside and Matty

I can only offer my opinion but I think if we limit our subject matter we limit the forum. I also think it sometimes helps people who have endured tragedy to talk about it. No matter how uncomfortable it makes people.
Best wishes

Jeb
jeb
jeb

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam Fri Oct 22, 2010 2:22 pm

The official position of the board is that we're pretty relaxed about discussion topics. None of us wants to be described as unidimensional, and we can be avid basketball fans while maintaining an interest in, and discussing, other matters that transpire in the world.

The only subject about which I have been very wary is politics, although I expect I'd have equal concerns about a discussion of religion. Those two subjects seem to be magnets for polarization. I would also be worried if it seemed as though non-basketball matters were overpowering basketball conversation; but that has never been the case on this board.

given the huge diversity of experiences represented by the members of this board, it is inevitable that certain matters will strike particularly sensitive areas with selected members. In this respect, I believe the key lies in intent. If there is obvious intention to disturb others, if the offending posts aren't struck by lightening, they'll be struck with me.

It behooves all of us to maintain a reasonable degree of sensitivity in whatever we post. And it's at least as important to know when to back off as gracefully as possible if we realize we're on thin ice. Other than that, the best we can do is to express our empathy when we discover we've innocently hit a nerve.

To Matty, the horror you went through upon the death of your sister is unimaginable. They say that time heals all wounds, but the scars you suffered will obviously be with you all your life.I can only hope there are a lot of happy memories that, over time, may help soften the blow just a bit.

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by jeb Fri Oct 22, 2010 2:28 pm

Matty

I lost my sis to drugs and suicide. I am going to send you my number in a pm. If you ever wish to talk I am all ears. I hope you are doing ok after experiencing such an awful thing.

Best

Jeb
jeb
jeb

Back to top Go down

Post by NYCelt Sat Oct 23, 2010 12:46 am

Sometimes you have to look just beneath the surface to see what a group of people are all about. Let's forget Mr. James for the moment.

I started writing my thoughts about the exchange I saw here; I've just erased what would have been an extremely long post.

Instead I'll just state that in a sports conversation that crosses into social issues, perhaps because it should, Outside, Matty and Jeb have all shown something of themselves that I think and hope in turn resides in abundance in the members of this group. I see in them clarity of thought, honesty, openness to the point of exposing personal pain, deep compassion and selflessness.

That's quite a lot for a basketball discussion board.

It also shows the sincere character of three gentlemen whom I like to think are representative of the soul of this group overall.

I am impressed by the integrity they display.
NYCelt
NYCelt

Back to top Go down

Post by beat Sun Oct 24, 2010 1:51 pm

A little more about Bron

LeBron James To Cavaliers Fans: ‘Get Over It’
Tagged with: cleveland cavaliers lebron james Miami Heat

LeBron James sure knows how to rile up the folks in Cleveland.

If his departure wasn’t enough, it looks like LeBron has lost no love for the fans in his hometown. At least, that’s what his latest comments show.

“If I was a fan and I was on the outside looking in, I could be upset a little bit if one of my favorite players left,” James said Thursday. “Or if I felt like he betrayed us or whatever the case may be. But you have to get over it.”

Clearly James cannot relate to why fans in Cleveland are so upset with him. For him to go so far as to say ‘get over it’ just shows how little he empathizes with his former supporters.

“Sports are very emotional and fans are very emotional,” James continued. “At times they really believe you may be related to them you and you sleep in their house. When you do something wrong and you leave their house they can become very emotional. I’ve understood that over the years. But at the same time, you have to understand you have to do what is best yourself.”

And LeBron did exactly that. Who cares about loyalty? LeBron doesn’t. Who cares about the past? LeBron doesn’t. James just needs to keep his mouth shut for a while until this all blows over.

ESPN profiles aren’t going to help, nor are his continually self-centered comments. There’s a reason he’s the most hated player in the NBA.

Sorry LeBron, you reap what you sow.

beat
beat

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Sun Oct 24, 2010 2:33 pm

Lebron should have learned one of the Universal principles,less is more

.....or one of his friends/hangers on should have given him constructive criticism and told him to shut the fock up

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by jeb Tue Oct 26, 2010 11:57 pm

just saw Jame's "what should i do?" commercial. Wow. This guy is really and truthfully unaware of how bad he has shat the bed. A note to the king...just for a while dont talk. Play hoop. Quit talking. No more talk. Fire ALL your advisors.

What a train wreck.
jeb
jeb

Back to top Go down

Post by Outside Wed Oct 27, 2010 4:13 am

Jeb,

Actually, I think it humanizes the guy to an extent. Trust me, I think he's got a healthy dose of cluelessness, but my initial impression is that the commercial is pretty good.

They had to have him in some kind of commercial. Nike isn't paying him huge money to be invisible.
Outside
Outside

Back to top Go down

Post by jeb Wed Oct 27, 2010 12:12 pm

outside

hmmn food for thought. imho defiance aint exactly the right tone here. He needs to let his play do the talking for a while.
jeb
jeb

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam Wed Oct 27, 2010 1:50 pm

First of all, for those who may not have seen it, the commercial may be seen at:
http://www.dotsperiod.com/3630/lebron-james-commercial-on-nike-what-should-i-do/

After having conducted more than 1,400 focus groups and 6,000 individual face-to-face interviews—the majority of them relating to advertising tests for ad agencies big and small around the country and across the ocean, I can almost almost hear the comments when this commercial was trotted out for consumers' reactions.

"Wow, that's some deep stuff he's sayin'." This type of comment often accompanies content that people don't understand so they automatically assume it's very deep and therefore they want to embrace it. The ad people call it "aspirational advertising," and it's designed to draw people by convincing them they're somehow cooler by being part of the "in crowd" to which the ad is speaking. Sam Adams Beer, after years of telling people what a great, slow-brewed product they had and achieving annual sales increases in the 40% range, tried aspirational advertising. Their sales almost immediately plummeted; and only the introductions of Twisted Tea and a very good light beer product saved them. They've since returned to sanity in the form of product-based advertising. I like to think of aspirational advertising as something invented by advertising creatives in the privacy of their own bathrooms or during the process of contributing to sperm banks.

"At least he's not avoiding what people think about him. He's hitting it head-on. What a straight-shooting guy!" The p.r. angle. Straight out of the Tiger Woods handbook. Just admit publicly you've been a jerk, and the sheep will buy it. Be depicted as doing it in a thoughtful, introspective manner, and you don't have to be sincere. The copy will be written for you in a way that will convince the sheep you're baring your soul. It may take some time, but what you're really doing is to take the negative energy of public opinion and retain the energy while converting it to a positive direction so that it now works for you rather than against you. It's like throwing a rubber ball against a wall. The wall completely changes the direction, and it often comes back even faster than you threw it. And it's practically a no-risk approach for the product being advertised. If the ploy works, the positive energy will spill over to perceptions of the product. It it doesn't work, it reflects poorly only on the individual, not the product (which had nothing to do with all the stupidity in question).

Obviously, Nike's spokesperson was in trouble. Should they dump him (which happened in some cases with Tiger)? Or were his sins not so egregious that he couldn't be resurrected? Obviously Nike felt the latter was the case (and you can bet that plenty of research helped in that decision). And they're smart enough to keep the product out of the advertising, focusing solely on the person, with just a hint of association with the brand. One step at a time. Enough sting of disrespect must be removed so that his deeds on the court will more than accomplish the remainder of the resurrection. Then he can once again be associated with the product.

In the minds of the sheep, he'll no longer be envisioned as a money-grubbing low-life trying to hawk a brand to grab even more loot. He'll once again be Mr. Wonderful, and Nike products will enjoy another 5%-15% bump in sales. The creatives and p.r. people will emerge from their bathrooms and take off for their condos in Belize. The Nike execs will complete their plans for early retirement. And the sheep will continue to graze in green pastures, while shelling out a different kind of green to finance the lives of those who manipulate them.

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by jeb Wed Oct 27, 2010 1:56 pm

perfect Sam. Though about as harsh s i have ever heard you speak. ANd that aint very harsh.
jeb
jeb

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam Wed Oct 27, 2010 2:48 pm

Jeb,

I have to say I have taken particular delight in personally scuttling scores (probably more than 100) advertising campaigns in which the creative types were truly playing with themselves and trying to win awards rather than earnestly practicing the art of persuasion.

In one sense, advertising (and probably any other type of business) and basketball have something in common. When the individual get to feel that (s)he is bigger than the ultimate goal, things usually fall apart.

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by jeb Wed Oct 27, 2010 2:58 pm

Sam

I feel ya. I got 20 years in making commercials and i take lots of hot showers to try to wash the scum off. Also you meet some real fine people.
jeb
jeb

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam Wed Oct 27, 2010 3:14 pm

True, Jeb. When you're dealing, day in and day out, with highly creative people, there will always be the bottom feeders. But fortunately there will also be topnotch individuals who care deeply about their craft; and from that group, I have benefited from mountains of learning and from years and years of exceptional, dynamic friendships.

Unfortunately, I went to the funeral of one of them this past Sunday. He warded off cancer for 16 years, and it was a fall that got him. He followed me into a job long ago; and we were both born on the same day and year. His funeral embodied all that is good about his profession. Genuinely good humor—much of it a bit irreverant—and a virtual testimonial to the best aspects of creativity.

An example of his humor occurred the very first time I met him. I had joined a research company, and he was director of research for the international advertising agency that I had just left. He asked me over to his officebecause he was a prospective client (and turned out to be a good one).

We made small talk for a few minutes, discovering the birth date coincidence. Then I noticed something on the top of a bookcase, and I asked, "What's that, Jim?"

"Oh, they're just a couple of rhinosceri."

"Well, what are they doing?"

"I think they're either playing leapfrog or copulating. I hope they're copulating because that's why I brought them in here. Because that's pretty much what we try to do to each other in this business."

He really got it. And we got along just great for the remaining 43 years of his life.

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Outside Wed Oct 27, 2010 3:37 pm

The parodies of the LeBron commercial have already begun. Here's one from Dan Patrick.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/danpatrick/?eref=sinav&eref=fromSI
Outside
Outside

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down