+2
dboss
RosalieTCeltics
6 posters

Go down

Ime on Robert Williams Empty Ime on Robert Williams

Post by RosalieTCeltics Sat Jan 01, 2022 2:46 pm

Robert Williams
Robert Williams had one of the best games of his young career in the Boston Celtics’ Friday afternoon win over the Phoenix Suns.

The Celtics center struggled recently as his team went through a three-game losing streak, but rebounded in a major way New Year’s Eve as he recorded the first triple-double of his career and did so with a perfect shooting percentage in the process.

Celtics head coach Ime Udoka had nothing but praise for the young big man afterward in his media availability.

Boston Celtics center Robert Williams
Celtics Wrap: Boston Snaps Losing Streak With Convincing Win Vs. Suns
23 hours ago
“A few weeks ago I didn’t know how good of a passer he was,” Udoka told reporters. “Obviously, we go through some of that stuff with (Al Horford) coming into the season but we really saw what Rob could do right there as well. You can run stuff through both of those guys but it’s more so not being stagnant when the ball goes into them or the ball goes to the high post so our movement and cuts were great and our pace and variety today.

“He’s more than people think he is and I told him about expanding his game, the role, the minutes and everything increasing and what we see as a high, high ceiling for him for a lot of different reasons. He’s one guy that I know that can take coaching and take coaching hard and so I don’t view it as calling him out, but obviously told him the same thing. He’s been resilient and bounced back every time I challenged him.”

Williams was unstoppable in Boston’s win over the Suns, finishing the game with 10 points, 11 rebounds, 10 assists and five blocks. The Celtics now have a day off before returning to action Sunday night as they welcome the Orlando Magic to TD Garden with
RosalieTCeltics
RosalieTCeltics

Back to top Go down

Ime on Robert Williams Empty Re: Ime on Robert Williams

Post by dboss Mon Jan 03, 2022 1:42 pm

RW continues to show YOY growth in a lot of areas.  

The next step will be to show consistency in his game and develop his offense.  I don't know if we will see any noticeable focus on him taking midrange shots (at the elbow) or even some jump hooks in the lane but I think he is more than capable of doing that.

In the interim he remains a highly efficient scorer.  He is getting up 6 FGA per game but I would like to see him get at least 8.  His basement right now even without further offensive development is around 12 PPG.

Our offense looks very different with him up top and getting the ball.  When guys are moving off the ball he is becoming very adept at finding them.

It is too bad that screen setting is so often overlooked.

Setting good screens is about timing, angles and avoidance.  Robert has great timing and sets screens at various angles to free up his teammates and he does so by avoiding those frustrating offensive fouls.

The ball never sticks in his hands and  that is because of how quickly he identifies who to pass to.  It is pretty amazing.  (the pace of his decision making)  What really enhances his verticality is not just about how high he gets up but the speed with which he takes off.

At both ends of the court you have a rare combination of top level athleticism combined with an exceptionally high basketball IQ and a lightning quick mind to process information and act on it.

I am a big fan of Rob.
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by RosalieTCeltics Mon Jan 03, 2022 1:53 pm

I think the Celtics will win alot more games if we can keep Rob on the floor. They are a much different team with him out there. You could even see that last night. My biggest issue with him is, he is in one or two games, then out again. His physical condition worries me at times because he does play so hard and his body just is not capable of handling the hits he takes down low. Last night it was his big toe issue, which, if you remember last year, was troublesom. They need to find a way to keep him on the floor in executive games.

I am a big fan of his, over two years ago, when the Celtics were playing Milwaukee at home and had a big win I told my son that he was watching the next center for the Celtics. At that time he was rotating with Theis Now he rotates with Horford or Grant, I think it would be a great idea to get a guy who they could platoon with him (personally I would not object to trying to get Theis back)
RosalieTCeltics
RosalieTCeltics

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Mon Jan 03, 2022 4:54 pm

Rosalie

The Celtics will have to add another center to the mix.  AL will be on the last year of his contact beginning next season and since it is only $14 million guaranteed, it makes him a tradable asset if the right deal comes along.  Or at least it gives you another year on a far less expensive salary than the $27 million he makes this season.

Theis has 2 years on his deal remaining after this year for $8.7 million and then $9.1 million.  I think that is a bit too rich for him.  

The Celtics have to seek out veteran guys that are willing to play for short money.  Case in point, the Nets get Aldridge for $2.6 million and a Patty Mills for $5.9 mill.  

If Boston decides to seek out that 3rd star player, they are going to need to find quality veteran minimum deals and MLE max deals to fill out the roster.

That 3rd star must be a perfect fit and a magnet to entice veteran players to sign with Boston. Danny thought that KI could have been that guy for us. Before that he hoped that signing AH would help sway Durant to come.

Having our own home grown stars makes a big difference.
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by Shamrock1000 Tue Jan 04, 2022 2:40 pm

I'm not sure how Ime could not know how good a passer Rob is? Folks here seemed to have known it - local writers too. Anything has to better than the awful offense we were running earlier in the season. Hope this is more than talk from Ime.

Shamrock1000

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Tue Jan 04, 2022 3:38 pm

Shamrock1000 wrote:I'm not sure how Ime could not know how good a passer Rob is? Folks here seemed to have known it - local writers too. Anything has to better than the awful offense we were running earlier in the season. Hope this is more than talk from Ime.

Rock his statement of enlightenment two weeks ago was perplexing.

He seems like a very direct and honest guy.  I like him and think he will improve as a coach.  It would however to be disingenuous not to point out some oddities in his logic or rationale for what he says sometimes.  In Rob's case maybe he just misspoke.

He is still a rookie head coach who has to go in front of that media that quietly gathers around after each game like a swarm of sharks.

I mentioned this before but want to bring it up again.  

Many in the media and some on this forum have come to the conclusion that Jayson and Jaylen cannot play together.   I am digressing here but only to mention Ime has not put them together consistently in a 2 man game, a two man paring.  He stated when questioned about a game that we lost, why was Jaylen on one side of the court and Jayson was on the other side.  Why were they not paired together (in a crucial moment in the game)  Ime said that because they are the best players it would bring the 2 best defenders over to them.  I found that response to be ridiculous.

More recently I noticed more interaction between the J's when paired together. These guys are so dynamic that you could run more pick and rolls/pops with them.  

This team does not have a ball dominant floor general so the Jays must learn to figure things out together.  That means their interaction must come from pairing them together in various offensive sets.
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by Ktron Tue Jan 04, 2022 6:10 pm

Please stop nitpicking on everything the coaches say. I heard his entire statement and I don't find what he has said perplexing. Some of you are just used to Brad and Doc and their BS non answers. Sure, they are able to finesse the press and not give direct answers. I.e. BS.
Ime knows how good a passer Rob is. If we’ve seen it he has to have seen it way before he took the job. People do say “I didn’t know that so and so was” a great whatever as a way of complimenting that player as well.
Ime is just a little more direct and a little too real for those seeking the perfect specimen. That person doesn’t exist.

Ktron

Back to top Go down

Post by NYCelt Tue Jan 04, 2022 9:22 pm

Ktron wrote:Please stop nitpicking on everything the coaches say… People do say “I didn’t know that so and so was” a great whatever as a way of complimenting that player as well.

Good point and probably quite true in this case.
NYCelt
NYCelt

Back to top Go down

Post by Shamrock1000 Wed Jan 05, 2022 12:01 am

Ktron wrote:Please stop nitpicking on everything the coaches say. I heard his entire statement and I don't find what he has said perplexing. Some of you are just used to Brad and Doc and their BS non answers. Sure, they are able to finesse the press and not give direct answers. I.e. BS.
Ime knows how good a passer Rob is. If we’ve seen it he has to have seen it way before he took the job. People do say “I didn’t know that so and so was” a great whatever as a way of complimenting that player as well.
Ime is just a little more direct and a little too real for those seeking the perfect specimen. That person doesn’t exist.

While all that may be true, and Ime did indeed recognize Rob's passing ability, the Celtics definitely weren't taking advantage if it for most of the season while they have played a pretty ineffective offense. Maybe the team just wasn't listening to Ime, but I had no reason not to take Ime at his word

Shamrock1000

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Wed Jan 05, 2022 5:58 pm

Ktron wrote:Please stop nitpicking on everything the coaches say. I heard his entire statement and I don't find what he has said perplexing. Some of you are just used to Brad and Doc and their BS non answers. Sure, they are able to finesse the press and not give direct answers. I.e. BS.

ktron

What thing?

Yeah right, that girl looked very ugly two weeks ago but today I find an unhidden beauty. That's a compliment?  A back ended compliment.  Like I said, he probably misspoke. Or his answer was defensive because he really has not used RW enough in a role that had already been identified last year by Brad Stevens.  He is very direct but at the same time he can become convoluted in his responses to media questions.

No one is nitpicking Ime.  I will always point out things that I see and it doesn't matter to me who the is coach.  

It is not like I am anti-Ime but I would not start dusting off the rookie coach of the year award just yet.  lol  There is NO rookie coach of the year award.
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by Ktron Wed Jan 05, 2022 7:44 pm

dboss wrote:

ktron

What thing?

Yeah right, that girl looked very ugly two weeks ago but today I find an unhidden beauty. That's a compliment?  A back ended compliment.  Like I said, he probably misspoke. Or his answer was defensive because he really has not used RW enough in a role that had already been identified last year by Brad Stevens.  He is very direct but at the same time he can become convoluted in his responses to media questions.

No one is nitpicking Ime.  I will always point out things that I see and it doesn't matter to me who the is coach.  

It is not like I am anti-Ime but I would not start dusting off the rookie coach of the year award just yet.  lol  There is NO rookie coach of the year award.

Pfft ha ha dboss. If there was a rookie coach of the year award I would vote for you..every year. First off, if you think Ime probably misspoke, why are you quoting him. As a coach who has been in this league for many years and who also played the game I’m pretty sure he knows his players strengths and weaknesses. At least better than you and I do. And how dare you state that this was a role that Brad identified. Last I checked, Ime is not Brad. Ime also hasn’t duplicated Brad’s handling of PP nor Nesmith. Ime is the coach, not Brad. There’s a reason(s) that he is not an Ime is. You are nitpicking when you shopping cart his words and correlate his actions with Brad.
I heard the entire interview and I heard him say that about Rob and he also said that Rob can do more things than a lot of people didn’t know that he could do. If you interpret that as Ime referring to himself than I honestly believe that you’re seeking negativity when it comes to this coach. You indicated that you always point out what you see If so, than point out the good things that hes brought to the table as well. Not even 50 games in and you’re already impersonating John Y Brown.
We all love Rob but he can barely stay on the floor. Ole boy gets a hang nail and he’s out 6 weeks yet you want Ime to treat him like he’s the second coming of Bill Russell.
Finally, your Ugly girl comparison is hilarious. Your reaching my brother. Lets try and be supportive of our new rookie head coach. I’m pretty confident that if he is given half the time that Brad had in that seat, we’ll be in good shape, That is if he is even given that much time.

Ktron

Back to top Go down

Post by Ktron Wed Jan 05, 2022 7:55 pm

Shamrock1000 wrote:

While all that may be true, and Ime did indeed recognize Rob's passing ability, the Celtics definitely weren't taking advantage if it for most of the season while they have played a pretty ineffective offense. Maybe the team just wasn't listening to Ime, but I had no reason not to take Ime at his word
True. I’m sure some of our players have not given Ime their undivided attention. And quite frankly, most of our guys have underperformed on their own.

Ktron

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Wed Jan 05, 2022 10:09 pm

Kitron what are you on? Dboss wants Ime to treat RWill like Bill Russell, really? Don’t see it and definitely never saw dboss make those kind of implications….we all want RWill to do better, we know he has talent

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by Ktron Wed Jan 05, 2022 10:23 pm

cowens/oldschool wrote:Kitron what are you on? Dboss wants Ime to treat RWill like Bill Russell, really? Don’t see it and definitely never saw dboss make those kind of implications….we all want RWill to do better, we know he has talent

Cowens, what are you on? That comment is a summation of the post author’s comment regarding his criticizing Ime because of a snippet from an interview and then conflates what Ime is not doing now compared to Brad’s use of him. Read the whole statement before you decide to come for me. Cool?

Ktron

Back to top Go down

Post by Ktron Wed Jan 05, 2022 10:28 pm

And quit blaming the coach for “Stone hand McGillicudy” AKA Rob Williams slapping at the ball instead of grabbing it ala Smart and losing possessions because he’s off in space somewhere. He did it tonight again. Nobody wants Rob to be great More than anyone else on the board. He’s not going to get there without coaching so allow him be coached.

Ktron

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Wed Jan 05, 2022 11:05 pm

Ktron wrote:
cowens/oldschool wrote:Kitron what are you on? Dboss wants Ime to treat RWill like Bill Russell, really? Don’t see it and definitely never saw dboss make those kind of implications….we all want RWill to do better, we know he has talent

Cowens, what are you on? That comment is a summation of the post author’s comment regarding his criticizing Ime because of a snippet from an interview and then conflates what Ime is not doing now compared to Brad’s use of him. Read the whole statement before you decide to come for me. Cool?

I’m talking about your reference to dboss

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by Ktron Wed Jan 05, 2022 11:12 pm

cowens/oldschool wrote:
Ktron wrote:

I’m talking about your reference to dboss

I made several references to dboss and I know which one you’re referring to because you said it and I suggested that you read the entire comment.

Ktron

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Thu Jan 06, 2022 12:43 pm

Chuckle, chuckle, chuckle
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by Ktron Thu Jan 06, 2022 7:26 pm

Nyuk, Nyuk. Nyuk. Why I oughta……Bang zoom! :>))

Ktron

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Tue Jan 18, 2022 4:32 pm

Robert Williams, most improved player on the Celtics?

I am voting YES.

In his last outing he broke through the scoring threshold and is now averaging 10 PPG.  He is also tied with crown prince, Jayson Tatum with 13 double double.

His free throw percentage is up to 68.3%   He's top 3 in the NBA in block shots.  He's ranked 14th in rebounding among all centers and has been a top offensive rebounding guy as well.  He's #1 in FG % among all centers in the NBA.

When Boston decides to run offense through him he has proved to be an uncanny passer from the high post and elsewhere.

He sets great screens to free up teammates for open looks.

He may very well be the most unselfish player on this team because he is a willing passer and does it very well.

His ceiling?????

His next step is to develop that 12-18 footer.  That shot is there for the taking.  He has a nice touch so at least the mechanics are in place already.

I can see a 18 PPG scorer with 12 rebounds per game and 2.5 blocks.

The more that he plays, the more reps that comes his way, the better he gets.

Rob is a special type of talent with a high upside ceiling.  He may in fact be that 3rd star on this team.
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Tue Jan 18, 2022 10:02 pm

Agree he’s improving and we are all rooting for that, odd how some can be so excited about him avg close to 10 ppg. He has no shot creating ability, none; all his scoring is off garbage and rolling to the basket receiving passes for dunks. Is it too late for him to do squats religiously and develop some old man strength so he won’t be so easily knocked off balance on shot attempts? Can he add any semblance of a post move? Thrilled his FT’s are getting better. Believe me I root for him and know his athleticism and shot blocking add so much, he is our X factor. Stay healthy, rumble young man rumble.

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by NYCelt Wed Jan 19, 2022 6:45 am

cowens/oldschool wrote:Agree he’s improving and we are all rooting for that, odd how some can be so excited about him avg close to 10 ppg. He has no shot creating ability, none; all his scoring is off garbage and rolling to the basket receiving passes for dunks. Is it too late for him to do squats religiously and develop some old man strength so he won’t be so easily knocked off balance on shot attempts? Can he add any semblance of a post move? Thrilled his FT’s are getting better. Believe me I root for him and know his athleticism and shot blocking add so much, he is our X factor. Stay healthy, rumble young man rumble.

Love the Ali reference.
NYCelt
NYCelt

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Wed Jan 19, 2022 3:00 pm

For Rob to go to the next step he has to develop his offense.  I am 100% convinced that he can and will do that.

We know that he can score in the post off of lobs and layups.  Maybe a jump hook in the lane would be useful.

However in this offense and in this NBA, he needs to develop a midrange shot.  I would bet he takes midrange shots in practice.  

No I am not looking for yet another 3 point shooter.  Just knock down those elbow jumpers off of pick and pop opportunities.

He has solid shooting mechanics so it comes down to repetition and confidence.

Does anyone out there recall Al Horford's top scoring year with us?  It was his first year (2016-17) and he averaged 14 PPG. He took 11.8 FGA per game His top rebounding year with us was (2017-18) where he averaged 7.4 rebounds per game.

The point of this exercise is to add a perspective on Rob's development.

I am certain that if we get him a few more shots every game his scoring average can easily be up to what big Al did in his best year with us.  That can actually happen without any further low post moves or midrange shots.

If he can combine his current ability to score and expand beyond the paint we have ourselves a mid to high teens scorer plus a rim protector, solid rebounder and a facilitator on offense.

I am reminded that this is the first year that he has been a full time starter at 29.3 MPG.
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by NYCelt Fri Jan 21, 2022 7:59 am

Lots of recent sports media talk that RWIII is already the third most important player on the team. He’s getting league-wide recognition from opponents.

His play the rest of the way this season will probably be the deciding factor in how heavily the Celtics pursue a point guard versus another big. If a longer term point with playmaking skills can be found, a short term rental big, like another Horford, may fill the gap next season.
NYCelt
NYCelt

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Fri Jan 21, 2022 2:13 pm

NYCelt wrote:Lots of recent sports media talk that RWIII is already the third most important player on the team. He’s getting league-wide recognition from opponents.

His play the rest of the way this season will probably be the deciding factor in how heavily the Celtics pursue a point guard versus another big. If a longer term point with playmaking skills can be found, a short term rental big, like another Horford, may fill the gap next season.

NYCelt

Regardless of his play we need another big. A PF/C combo works for me.

Al is a short timer and with only $14 million on the books for him next year, he becomes a trade asset. Freedom is an odd fit for the team and is also likely gone. Bruno has not been given an opportunity to play much so we are pretty much looking at Rob as our only viable big man option next year.
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down