A few glimmers and a few not so glimmers

+2
atcross
dboss
6 posters

Go down

A few glimmers and a few not so glimmers Empty A few glimmers and a few not so glimmers

Post by dboss Tue Jan 04, 2022 3:55 pm

I have a few bits of information.  A few glimmers and a few not so glimmers.

The good includes Boston ranked at #6 in rebounds and #5 in offensive rebounds (thank you Robert Williams)

Also in the very good category is our 4th place ranking in free throw percentage and 7th overall in attempts.

Here is a stat that may be of interest.  In 19 losses the Celtics average 14.2 turnovers.  In their 18 wins they also averaged 14.2 turnovers.

See...... https://www.nba.com/celtics/stats/team

And while you ponder that statistic also consider that the Celtics are shooting 37.3% from deep in 18 wins and 29.5% in 19 losses.

The issue is staring us right in our faces.  This team must improve their 3 point shooting percentage to get more wins than losses.

I see that JT who is at 32% this year was 35% in 12 December games.  That is a positive trend.  JB has not been trending well but I am quite confident that he is a very solid shooter and will be fine.  He is sitting at 36% for the year.  Since they average 16.2  three point attempts per game they have a big impact overall.  However Marcus, Al and Dennis take 4.6, 4.4 and 4.4 attempts per game and have been horrible.  AH has historically been a decent 3 point shooter but any notion that he can effectively stretch the floor by taking and making 3 pointers has all but faded away.  Both Al and Marcus are shooting under 30% and that is just not sustainable.  Dennis, a career 33% shooter from deep is shooting....33%

Our low volume guys like Josh, Grant and Payton are not the problem.   Romeo is Romeo.
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

A few glimmers and a few not so glimmers Empty Re: A few glimmers and a few not so glimmers

Post by atcross Tue Jan 04, 2022 7:52 pm

I refuse to take the current team seriously. But only because these games between random roosters are meaningless. In any season there are injuries but nothing remotely like this. A new coach and a young team doesn't help. So any estimates of how good this team is this year are worthless IMHO.

But I do think the future is pretty rosy. We have two young all stars, a candidate for DPY every year, a young human pogo-stick who rebounds, blocks, and passes, a sharp shooter from the parking lot, and a couple more young players who play stellar defense and can rebound and score. That's seven good to very good players that we will have for the foreseeable future. Throw in a couple solid backups (JRich, Nesmith, and a big) and who's to say this won't be a team that contends in the near future. But not this year. This year and last are FUBAR.

As far as what needs to be done this year, PP and Grant can only hit 3s if they are playing and getting touches. And everyone needs to get the ball in the right place at the right time. Schroder is a shoot first PG and does not run an effective offense. And his defense in very mistake prone. Bring him off the bench as a BU or trade him.

atcross

Back to top Go down

A few glimmers and a few not so glimmers Empty Re: A few glimmers and a few not so glimmers

Post by Shamrock1000 Wed Jan 05, 2022 1:05 am

atcross wrote:I refuse to take the current team seriously. But only because these games between random roosters are meaningless. In any season there are injuries but nothing remotely like this. A new coach and a young team doesn't help. So any estimates of how good this team is this year are worthless IMHO.

But I do think the future is pretty rosy. We have two young all stars, a candidate for DPY every year, a young human pogo-stick who rebounds, blocks, and passes, a sharp shooter from the parking lot, and a couple more young players who play stellar defense and can rebound and score. That's seven good to very good players that we will have for the foreseeable future. Throw in a couple solid backups (JRich, Nesmith, and a big) and who's to say this won't be a team that contends in the near future. But not this year. This year and last are FUBAR.

As far as what needs to be done this year, PP and Grant can only hit 3s if they are playing and getting touches. And everyone needs to get the ball in the right place at the right time. Schroder is a shoot first PG and does not run an effective offense. And his defense in very mistake prone. Bring him off the bench as a BU or trade him.

Nice perspective

Shamrock1000

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Wed Jan 05, 2022 2:10 pm

Atcross

I agree that the future does not look all gloom and doom.

Basketball remains a game where one or two guys can have a profound affect on winning.

Grant has been the most consistent of our last 4 first round draftees. Payton can shoot but needs consistent minutes.

Your statement "And everyone needs to get the ball in the right place at the right time" cries out that we need a floor general.

I do not like seeing Smart and Schroeder in the lineup together. Dennis is a band-aid.

I hope we find an up-tempo PG that can be a primary ball handler and distributor. And a knock down shooter (i.e. a Buddy Hield)

I do not expect to see that happen this year.

dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by dbrown4 Wed Jan 05, 2022 7:06 pm

Yeah, dboss, I was watching SAC vs. Lakers from last night. BH is the real deal. Can hit from anywhere.

db
dbrown4
dbrown4

Back to top Go down

Post by prakash Wed Jan 05, 2022 7:11 pm

dbrown4 wrote:Yeah, dboss, I was watching SAC vs. Lakers from last night.  BH is the real deal.  Can hit from anywhere.

db

And why were you watching SAC vs. Lakers? Inquiring minds need to know. Very Happy

prakash

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Wed Jan 05, 2022 7:26 pm

dbrown4 wrote:Yeah, dboss, I was watching SAC vs. Lakers from last night.  BH is the real deal.  Can hit from anywhere.

db

Yes Buddy would be an excellent off the ball option for the Celtics.

This team has to improve their 3 point shooting.  I think my info above clearly associates winning and losing being very dependent on our 3 point accuracy.

I can come up with some numbers that work to trade for buddy but the Kings would be looking for a pick or 2.  It would be great if the kings are looking for a salary dump and we could part with our big TPE + maybe a 1st and 2nd and a lesser salary to match up. (schroeder)
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by atcross Wed Jan 05, 2022 8:35 pm

dboss wrote: Atcross

Basketball remains a game where one or two guys can have a profound affect on winning.

Grant has been the most consistent of our last 4 first round draftees.  Payton can shoot but needs consistent minutes.

Your statement "And everyone needs to get the ball in the right place at the right time"  cries out that we need a floor general.

I do not like seeing Smart and Schroeder in the lineup together.  Dennis is a band-aid.

I hope we find an up-tempo PG that can be a primary ball handler and distributor.  And a knock down shooter (i.e.  a Buddy Hield)

I don't know that Prichard is not a potential FG. I don't know that he is, but I don't know he isn't. He seems to push the pace and when he penetrates I get the feeling it's more purposeful than just seeing if he can score, passing out only when he sees he can't. With the Js and Schroder I don't get that feeling. I watched the Clippers game and when PP was running the show I had the feeling that everyone was more in rhythm than with Schroder. True FGs are not plentiful. No he's not Rondo. But I do notice that despite his relatively short time with the Cs opposing fans on the Comments From the Other Side know who he is and are worried when he enters the game. Which means that opposing teams notice as well. That's the main objective with a long distance shooter when you have two other All Stars that cannot be left unguarded. Smart is a terrific defender and competitor but he doesn't attract flies. Also Pritchard seems to be the guy that will do whatever it takes to stay in the league.

atcross

Back to top Go down

Post by Ktron Wed Jan 05, 2022 11:18 pm

Grant has been the most consistent of our last 4 first round draftees.  Payton can shoot but needs consistent minutes.

Your statement "And everyone needs to get the ball in the right place at the right time"  cries out that we need a floor general.

I do not like seeing Smart and Schroeder in the lineup together.  Dennis is a band-aid.

I hope we find an up-tempo PG that can be a primary ball handler and distributor.  And a knock down shooter (i.e.  a Buddy Hield)

A lot of decent observations here dboss but can we stop with the Payton needs consistent minutes. Can you honestly say that when he's been in there that he’s taken advantage of the opportunity every time?

Ktron

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Thu Jan 06, 2022 3:20 pm

Ktron wrote:

A lot of decent observations here dboss but can we stop with the Payton needs consistent minutes. Can you honestly say that when he's been in there that he’s taken advantage of the opportunity every time?

ktron

I can honestly say with a straight face that PP can shoot the ball and push the pace.  He has had some up and down games and a significant number of DNP's.  On defense he does a good job staying in front of guards but due to his size looks vulnerable trying to defend in the post.  guards shoot right over him.  

I think he has a role to play but he looks more like a shooter than a playmaking PG.

I am not going to stop with the consistent minutes theme because it is true.  He has started to edge up in his 3 point shooting (35.7%) after a slow  start.  Last year he played 19.2 MPG and this year his minutes are down to only 13.5.  Adding DS has resulted in less playing time as I previously mentioned.  I knew that it was going to happen.  PP is a better shooter than both Smart and Schroeder.  The way I see it you do not have to use him at the 1.  Again will go to the Patty Mills example.  So it is all about how Ime decides to  use him.  You would think that a team full of clunkers who cannot knock down shots, would find a role that he can play.
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down