Daniel Theis waives trade bonus to help Celtics bring back center in four player deal with Rockets

+6
Shamrock1000
jrleftfoot
BaronV
NYCelt
cowens/oldschool
bobheckler
10 posters

Go down

Daniel Theis waives trade bonus to help Celtics bring back center in four player deal with Rockets Empty Daniel Theis waives trade bonus to help Celtics bring back center in four player deal with Rockets

Post by bobheckler Fri Feb 11, 2022 1:43 pm

https://www.masslive.com/celtics/2022/02/daniel-theis-waives-trade-bonus-to-help-celtics-bring-back-center-in-four-player-deal-with-rockets.html

Daniel Theis waives trade bonus to help Celtics bring back center in four player deal with Rockets

Updated: Feb. 11, 2022, 9:59 a.m. | Published: Feb. 11, 2022, 9:59 a.m.

By Brian Robb | brobb@masslive.com

After nearly a year away from the team, Daniel Theis is back with the Boston Celtics and the big man will return to a major role as a reserve for Ime Udoka in Boston’s frontcourt rotation.

“Rob and Al are our guys and they’re playing great but if you miss any time with those two guys, you can plug Theis in and it’ll be a seamless transition,” Brad Stevens said Friday. “Theis knows how to make our best players better, that’s the best thing he does is he has a great feel for making others around him better, he’s got a savvy for the game.”

The veteran center signed a four-year contract with the Houston Rockets this offseason worth $36 million and that deal included a 15 percent trade kicker in the event he was traded. League sources tell MassLive that Theis waived that bonus money (worth $1.2 million) in order to help facilitate the deal to Boston for Dennis Schroder, Enes Freedom and Bruno Fernando.

“The Theis move came about really late,” Stevens said. “Initially, we had talked to them a couple times over the past few days but that came about very late. We did not think that there was going to be anything there and, in the last 20 minutes or so (before the deadline), that materializes as the whole move. Obviously, didn’t necessarily anticipate that in the early part of the day but had our eyes on Theis.”

Several people close to the 29-year-old said Theis is thrilled to be back in Boston after being in and out of Houston’s rotation during the first half of the season. He is expected to land in Boston later Friday and undergo a physical before the trade is made official.

Theis waiving his trade bonus was likely a big part of Boston agreeing to the deal’s parameters for the veteran center as well. The savings from the decision against the salary cap will allow the team enough breathing room to stay under the luxury tax while also filling the team’s open roster spots adequately in the coming days for the remainder of the season. Boston is expected to make two signings before Friday’s game against the Nuggets with more to come next week to fill the team’s five open roster spots.

It’s unclear whether Theis and Derrick White will be available for Friday’s matchup as all players involved will need to pass a physical before they are cleared to play. However, Stevens is eager to see his former big man make an impact in the team’s frontcourt.

“He can play a role,” Stevens said. “And so if Rob misses a stretch, Theis can plug in and, off the bench, with Grant, if we play minutes without Robert or Al on the floor, Theis can play the exact role that those guys are playing now and do so at a high level. So it’s insurance there at that spot with a guy that you know can do it at a high level.”

Bob
MY NOTE:  It's always good to have players who want to be here.  "Professionalism" is very fine and good but that's not 'ganas'.  We want players who want this, a lot.  Theis waiving a trade kicker tells me he wants us, wants to be part of the Boston Celtics.  Him and Horford, two players who missed Boston badly when they left for greener pastures contract-wise, but less green in every other way.  Welcome back, Theis.  Now earn your pay and set some of your famous screens for the Js.

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Daniel Theis waives trade bonus to help Celtics bring back center in four player deal with Rockets Empty Re: Daniel Theis waives trade bonus to help Celtics bring back center in four player deal with Rockets

Post by cowens/oldschool Fri Feb 11, 2022 2:57 pm

Our owners are billionaires, why are they so damn cheap?

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Daniel Theis waives trade bonus to help Celtics bring back center in four player deal with Rockets Empty Re: Daniel Theis waives trade bonus to help Celtics bring back center in four player deal with Rockets

Post by bobheckler Fri Feb 11, 2022 2:58 pm

cowens/oldschool wrote:Our owners are billionaires, why are they so damn cheap?

Cow,

Because the business of business is business.

Bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by NYCelt Fri Feb 11, 2022 3:22 pm

One of many possible reasons; partners.

The Celtics ownership is a large group, 13 individuals on the Ownership Committee, and many others with ownership interest beyond them.

Profits get smaller when you have to share.

The Ballantine Brewery even owned the team for one season, then got out. Easier to make money selling beer.

I would love to see how many teams with limited numbers in ownership are at or in the luxury tax zone, versus those with large numbers.

I wonder what the numbers looked like percentage-wise for Brown, Mangurian or Gaston compared to the current group.
NYCelt
NYCelt

Back to top Go down

Post by BaronV Fri Feb 11, 2022 3:43 pm

Because the rules are set up to level the playing field and keep the teams with the richest owners or largest markets from outspending everyone else like the Yankees used to do before MLB instituted similar penalties. Getting under the cap this year isn't about saving $2M or whatever right now. It's about resetting the repeater penalty, so when the owners do decide to go all in, they can spend the available money on actual players salaries and not on tax that goes to the other teams. If they don't think we're going to win this year, then it doesn't make sense to stay a bit over the cap and have to pay huge penalties later when we have the opportunity to bring in a 3d star on a big contract. Being under the cap also provides benefits to roster construction for next year, so again, why lose flexibility if they don't think the team can make the finals this year?

BaronV

Back to top Go down

Post by jrleftfoot Fri Feb 11, 2022 3:44 pm

I'm missing something. Not a math whiz, but pretty sure 15% of 36 is 5.4. Help me out kids.
jrleftfoot
jrleftfoot

Back to top Go down

Post by Shamrock1000 Fri Feb 11, 2022 3:52 pm

I don't know. I don't buy the "it's a business" argument. Though technically true, owning sports teams is a vanity business. I don't think it is the primary business for any of these guys. Also, winning increases popularity and name recognition, especially for a major market team, which increases the value of the business immensely. Saving 3.5 million in the short run seems short sighted in terms of franchise value. But hey, if I were a better businessman, I might own a team myself.

Shamrock1000

Back to top Go down

Post by dbrown4 Fri Feb 11, 2022 4:17 pm

Billionaires are billionaires because they don't give their money away. Ever.

Well, let's rephrase that. Because they don't flush their money down the toilet...Ever. OK, that's better.

db
dbrown4
dbrown4

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Fri Feb 11, 2022 4:40 pm

When you have a Championship level defense but your offense needs a jolt or two, you go out there and get what you need.

Billionaire owners that are too cheap to spend some money are rich but worthless to a team.
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by Ktron Fri Feb 11, 2022 9:10 pm

bobheckler wrote:https://www.masslive.com/celtics/2022/02/daniel-theis-waives-trade-bonus-to-help-celtics-bring-back-center-in-four-player-deal-with-rockets.html

Updated: Feb. 11, 2022, 9:59 a.m. | Published: Feb. 11, 2022, 9:59 a.m.

By Brian Robb | brobb@masslive.com

After nearly a year away from the team, Daniel Theis is back with the Boston Celtics and the big man will return to a major role as a reserve for Ime Udoka in Boston’s frontcourt rotation.

“Rob and Al are our guys and they’re playing great but if you miss any time with those two guys, you can plug Theis in and it’ll be a seamless transition,” Brad Stevens said Friday. “Theis knows how to make our best players better, that’s the best thing he does is he has a great feel for making others around him better, he’s got a savvy for the game.”

The veteran center signed a four-year contract with the Houston Rockets this offseason worth $36 million and that deal included a 15 percent trade kicker in the event he was traded. League sources tell MassLive that Theis waived that bonus money (worth $1.2 million) in order to help facilitate the deal to Boston for Dennis Schroder, Enes Freedom and Bruno Fernando.

“The Theis move came about really late,” Stevens said. “Initially, we had talked to them a couple times over the past few days but that came about very late. We did not think that there was going to be anything there and, in the last 20 minutes or so (before the deadline), that materializes as the whole move. Obviously, didn’t necessarily anticipate that in the early part of the day but had our eyes on Theis.”

Several people close to the 29-year-old said Theis is thrilled to be back in Boston after being in and out of Houston’s rotation during the first half of the season. He is expected to land in Boston later Friday and undergo a physical before the trade is made official.

Theis waiving his trade bonus was likely a big part of Boston agreeing to the deal’s parameters for the veteran center as well. The savings from the decision against the salary cap will allow the team enough breathing room to stay under the luxury tax while also filling the team’s open roster spots adequately in the coming days for the remainder of the season. Boston is expected to make two signings before Friday’s game against the Nuggets with more to come next week to fill the team’s five open roster spots.

It’s unclear whether Theis and Derrick White will be available for Friday’s matchup as all players involved will need to pass a physical before they are cleared to play. However, Stevens is eager to see his former big man make an impact in the team’s frontcourt.

“He can play a role,” Stevens said. “And so if Rob misses a stretch, Theis can plug in and, off the bench, with Grant, if we play minutes without Robert or Al on the floor, Theis can play the exact role that those guys are playing now and do so at a high level. So it’s insurance there at that spot with a guy that you know can do it at a high level.”

Bob
MY NOTE:  It's always good to have players who want to be here.  "Professionalism" is very fine and good but that's not 'ganas'.  We want players who want this, a lot.  Theis waiving a trade kicker tells me he wants us, wants to be part of the Boston Celtics.  Him and Horford, two players who missed Boston badly when they left for greener pastures contract-wise, but less green in every other way.  Welcome back, Theis.  Now earn your pay and set some of your famous screens for the Js.

Awww thats so nice of him. He wants to be here so he hands over 1.2 mil back to the owners (Steve P) who’s involved in a company that has 120 billion. Guess thats why they have that kind of bread. Taking advantage of folks, downsizing to the bare bones then selling it off. These owners are NOT basketball people.

Ktron

Back to top Go down

Post by Ktron Fri Feb 11, 2022 9:17 pm

Shamrock1000 wrote:

I don't know. I don't buy the "it's a business" argument. Though technically true, owning sports teams is a vanity business. I don't think it is the primary business for any of these guys. Also, winning increases popularity and name recognition, especially for a major market team, which increases the value of the business immensely. Saving 3.5 million in the short run seems short sighted in terms of franchise value. But hey, if I were a better businessman, I might own a team myself.

Shamrock you appear to be a basketball guy. So I think you’d make the right decision. When it comes down to it basketball people make basketball decisions. There are exceptions though. Clippers owner and Microsoft Tycoon Steve Balmer isn’t your typical basketball guy but he loves the game so he spends the Money. Celtics team owners, well, they ain’t.

Ktron

Back to top Go down

Post by Ktron Fri Feb 11, 2022 9:26 pm

NYCelt wrote:

The Celtics ownership is a large group, 13 individuals on the Ownership Committee, and many others with ownership interest beyond them.

The Ballantine Brewery even owned the team for one season, then got out. Easier to make money selling beer.

I would love to see how many teams with limited numbers in ownership are at or in the luxury tax zone, versus those with large numbers.

I wonder what the numbers looked like percentage-wise for Brown, Mangurian or Gaston compared to the current group.
NY, those “podners” make up a committee and you know what they say about committees. “Committees are a group of men who individually can do nothing but as a group decide that nothing can be done”

Ktron

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Fri Feb 11, 2022 10:16 pm

Ktron wrote:
NYCelt wrote:

NY, those “podners” make up a committee and you know what they say about committees. “Committees are a group of men who individually can do nothing but as a group decide that nothing can be done”

ktron,

Q: What do you call an animal with 12 heads and no brains?
A: A Committee

Bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Sat Feb 12, 2022 12:39 am

dboss wrote:When you have a Championship level defense  but your offense needs a jolt or two, you go out there and get what you need.  

Billionaire owners that are too cheap to spend some money are rich but worthless to a team.

+ 1

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Sat Feb 12, 2022 12:46 am

Ktron wrote:
Shamrock1000 wrote:

Shamrock you appear to be a basketball guy. So I think you’d make the right decision. When it comes down to it basketball people make basketball decisions. There are exceptions though. Clippers owner and Microsoft Tycoon Steve Balmer isn’t your typical basketball guy but he loves the game so he spends the Money. Celtics team owners, well, they ain’t.

Exactly, wish we had a guy like Balmer, we’d be a lot closer right now. How would this team look if we had a Balmer and just made all out effort to sign guys like Portis or Levert, even a few seasons ago….we’d be right there now. This isn’t rocket science, these guys are cheap and Danny as many dumb moves as he’s made last few years should have had more backing to make simple better moves. How good would we be with a stretch 4 like Portis or a multi talented wing like Lavert? These are not max guys either, these owners are cheap.

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Sat Feb 12, 2022 12:52 am

Ktron wrote:
NYCelt wrote:

Good point lol. Man give me a Balmer and I with my limited knowledge, but good instincts and brass balls, I’d have this team in the Finals every year, we’d be the beast of the East, we would be maximizing the peak of the J’s not wasting it….

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Sat Feb 12, 2022 12:58 am

Like they won’t be able to afford their 24 oz tomahawk steak, and go to Turks and Caicos for a month if they are 5-6 million over the cap….whopdedamndoo!!!!

There’s a problem when fans care about the product more than the owners and when we go to 3 ECF’s in 4 years and now the Cavs, Nets, Heat and Raptors all had better management and personnel decisions and spent better and more wisely and are now ahead of us….

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by bygone Sat Feb 12, 2022 8:02 am

Welcome Back Daniel. Your unselfish sacrifice is a breath of fresh air. It says a lot about your character and motivation. Thank you.
bygone
bygone

Back to top Go down

Post by NYCelt Sat Feb 12, 2022 12:19 pm

bobheckler wrote:
Ktron wrote:
NYCelt wrote:

ktron,

Q:  What do you call an animal with 12 heads and no brains?
A:  A Committee

Bob

Ktron and Bob,

Excellent! And so true.

I need you two with me all week.

Sometime, down the road, I’ve got some good stories to back those quotes up.
NYCelt
NYCelt

Back to top Go down

Post by Ktron Sat Feb 12, 2022 10:11 pm

NYCelt wrote:
bobheckler wrote:
Ktron wrote:
NYCelt wrote:

ktron,

Q:  What do you call an animal with 12 heads and no brains?
A:  A Committee

Bob

Ktron and Bob,

Excellent! And so true.

I need you two with me all week.

Sometime, down the road, I’ve got some good stories to back those quotes up.
I’m witcha!

Ktron

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down