Boston Celtics re-sign Daniel Theis to two-year, $10 million deal (report)

+3
NYCelt
KyleCleric
bobheckler
7 posters

Go down

Boston Celtics re-sign Daniel Theis to two-year, $10 million deal (report) Empty Boston Celtics re-sign Daniel Theis to two-year, $10 million deal (report)

Post by bobheckler Tue Jul 02, 2019 3:19 pm

https://www.masslive.com/celtics/2019/07/boston-celtics-re-sign-daniel-theis-to-two-year-10-million-deal-report.html

Boston Celtics re-sign Daniel Theis to two-year, $10 million deal (report)

Today 3:00 PM

By John Karalis | JKaralis@masslive.com

BOSTON -- The Boston Celtics are filling the gaps in their frontcourt by bringing back Daniel Theis on a two-year deal, according to ESPN’s Adrian Wojnarowski.

Adrian Wojnarowski
✔
@wojespn
Restricted free agent F/C Daniel Theis has agreed to a two-year, $10M deal to stay with the Boston Celtics, CAA agents Michael Tellem and Aaron Mintz tell ESPN.

8:19 PM - Jul 2, 2019

They will be able to sign Theis to the two-year, $10 million contract by using his Early Bird Rights to exceed the salary cap. Because the Celtics salary cap hold for Theis is only $1.8 million, they can do other business first, like using the remaining sliver of cap space to sign second-round pick Carsen Edwards to a contract, before making this deal official.

Theis joins Enes Kanter in the Boston frontcourt, who signed on a similar deal, as well as Robert Williams, Guerschon Yabusele, and newly signed Vincent Poirier. This mix now raises the possibility that one of these bigs ends up moving in a trade at some point.

Theis will have a chance to earn more than the 14 minutes per game he’s averaged in his time in Boston. That number is a bit deceiving because it includes some DNP’s and a few big-minute performances when Al Horford and Aron Baynes were both hurt.

What works to Theis’ advantage is that he’s the only true stretch-big at Brad Stevens’ disposal. Steven might turn to Theis when he needs another floor spacer against teams who play more traditional centers, so the departure of Horford does open up the potential for more minutes. The familiarity with Boston’s offense won’t hurt, either.

Theis remains a solid option for the Celtics at the money. It could pay off even more if he can produce with more opportunity.

bob
MY NOTE: Finally, a pick-and-pop big.

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Boston Celtics re-sign Daniel Theis to two-year, $10 million deal (report) Empty Re: Boston Celtics re-sign Daniel Theis to two-year, $10 million deal (report)

Post by KyleCleric Tue Jul 02, 2019 3:24 pm

Lots of opportunity for him this year. I wonder if he’ll finally get to regularly play the PF position.

KyleCleric

Back to top Go down

Boston Celtics re-sign Daniel Theis to two-year, $10 million deal (report) Empty Re: Boston Celtics re-sign Daniel Theis to two-year, $10 million deal (report)

Post by NYCelt Tue Jul 02, 2019 3:29 pm

So far the bigs are Kanter, Williams, Theis, and Poirier.

Interesting.

Also this...

Mark Murphy: Much has been made of the continued availability of DeMarcus Cousins. According to source, Celtics are not interested. Don’t want the potential drama. 2 hours ago –  via Twitter Murf56  

Free Agency, DeMarcus Cousins, Boston Celtics, Golden State Warriors
link  share
NYCelt
NYCelt

Back to top Go down

Post by kdp59 Tue Jul 02, 2019 6:51 pm

I thought Grant Williams was a big also?

and Yabusele of course
kdp59
kdp59

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Tue Jul 02, 2019 7:10 pm

kdp59 wrote:I thought Grant Williams was a big also?

and Yabusele of course
Bigs yes, but 4’s IMHO

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by worcester Tue Jul 02, 2019 8:07 pm

So glad to read we got Poirier too. He could become something big. Folks, don't overlook Tacko Fall either. Danny has done a pretty good job getting some help at the five spot for very little money, comparatively.
worcester
worcester

Back to top Go down

Post by NYCelt Tue Jul 02, 2019 9:23 pm

kdp59 wrote:I thought Grant Williams was a big also?

and Yabusele of course

I'm counting Williams as kind of a tweener. Not really a PF, not really a SF. Maybe he's in the same category as Semi. I do think Williams will be helpful right away, especially given his work ethic.

I'm still trying to figure out what Yabusele is.
NYCelt
NYCelt

Back to top Go down

Post by worcester Tue Jul 02, 2019 10:46 pm

What does Yabu do for us other than in garbage time?
worcester
worcester

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Tue Jul 02, 2019 10:52 pm

Yabusele has to show at least one skill that can keep him employed in the league, so far haven’t seen anything....

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by wideclyde Wed Jul 03, 2019 7:25 am

Yabusele cannot do anything about his height, and if he could he would get taller to become a true center which would make him an NBA player.

However, right now he is just a very wasted first round draft pick who is using up far more cap space than he is worth.  In my opinion, he is still around because Ainge cannot find a way to move him and he will just slide away when his contract expires.  Then it will be back to Europe or China to continue his career.

IF Yabusele is again going to be the last big man on the roster, I would much prefer to have Taco Fall take this roster space as he is, at least, a really big man.

Last edited by wideclyde on Wed Jul 03, 2019 7:58 am; edited 1 time in total

wideclyde

Back to top Go down

Post by kdp59 Wed Jul 03, 2019 7:38 am

so for clarity the big men on the roster now are:

Kanter- 6-11
Poirier- 6-11
Rob W.- 6-10

Theis- 6-9
Grant W.- 6-8
Yabusele- 6-8

is that about right?

kdp59
kdp59

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Wed Jul 03, 2019 9:26 am

kdp59 wrote:so for clarity the big men on the roster now are:

Kanter- 6-11
Poirier- 6-11
Rob W.- 6-10

Theis- 6-9
Grant W.- 6-8
Yabusele- 6-8

is that about right?

How could you forget Tacko? I think everyone is rooting for Tacko....

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by KyleCleric Wed Jul 03, 2019 9:51 am

cowens/oldschool wrote:
kdp59 wrote:so for clarity the big men on the roster now are:

Kanter- 6-11
Poirier- 6-11
Rob W.- 6-10

Theis- 6-9
Grant W.- 6-8
Yabusele- 6-8

is that about right?

How could you forget Tacko? I think everyone is rooting for Tacko....
I don’t know if there’ll be a roster spot or 2-way contract spot for him. The Wanamaker pickup surprised me.

KyleCleric

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down