Celtics alumnus Jason Terry has advice for Boston’s young 3-point shooters-in-training

4 posters

Go down

Celtics alumnus Jason Terry has advice for Boston’s young 3-point shooters-in-training Empty Celtics alumnus Jason Terry has advice for Boston’s young 3-point shooters-in-training

Post by bobheckler Sun Feb 27, 2022 1:45 pm

https://sports.yahoo.com/celtics-alumnus-jason-terry-advice-021452723.html

Celtics alumnus Jason Terry has advice for Boston’s young 3-point shooters-in-training

Justin Quinn
Sat, February 26, 2022, 6:14 PM·3 min read

The Boston Celtics need to add shooting to their team to make it as lethal on offense as the team is currently on defense, and while they don’t have a lot of tools at their disposal to do so this season with the 2022 NBA trade deadline having come and gone with the annual moratorium for adding unsigned players with playoff eligibility just a few days away.

But with players like Payton Pritchard, Aaron Nesmith, and Sam Hauser having a leg up as effective shooters at lower levels of competition who have also shown ability in the NBA, internal development is a path the team can pursue to bolster its efficiency from deep.

Recently appearing on the CLNS Media “Celtics Lab” podcast, Boston alumnus and famed shooter Jason Terry shared his thoughts on what these developing Celtics need to improve their own 3-point marksmanship: “Repetition, repetition, repetition.”

Speaking with the Celtics Wire in the interview, Terry pulled his receipts and told us that “if you ask anybody, you can ask Jason Tatum.”

“The word on the street is he still does my same 3-point routine that I did when I was there with Boston. I got that from one of his assistant coaches who let me know that. So it’s all about repetition, and the more you do something, the better you’re going to be at it.”

“You’ve got to put the work in,” he added emphatically, eliminating the possibility of any quick fixes for Boston’s young shooters.

With a shorter rotation, it may prove tough for these players to all get regular, live-game action to hone their craft from beyond the 3-point line, though Pritchard seems to be picking up momentum for more floor time with his recent play.

The Celtics should make use of the G League to their advantage for the month and half that remains of the Maine affiliate’s 2021-22 season to that end for whoever isn’t getting playing time, letting the team’s youth movement continue to get consistent opportunities to let their shot fly.

Because without that aforementioned repetition, internal improvement at this critical skill will be hard to achieve.

Bob
MY NOTE:  From what I've read both Nesmith and Pritchard are complete gym rats that have "their routines" they follow obsessively.  Confidence is important in a young'un and confidence comes from actually being out on the court competing well but I am confident both of them are doing what they need to do to get on the court.  Pritchard has made it into Ime's Top 8 list. Nesmith is probably 9th or 10th.  On most teams 9th or 10th would be good enough for solid rotation minutes but not on this squad.  I think Ime was too traumatized by that near implosion a month or so ago. Interesting that Tatum is using JET's shooting routine. JET was a great 6th man, his era's Microwave.

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Celtics alumnus Jason Terry has advice for Boston’s young 3-point shooters-in-training Empty Re: Celtics alumnus Jason Terry has advice for Boston’s young 3-point shooters-in-training

Post by Ktron Sun Feb 27, 2022 2:30 pm

bobheckler wrote:https://sports.yahoo.com/celtics-alumnus-jason-terry-advice-021452723.html

Justin Quinn
Sat, February 26, 2022, 6:14 PM·3 min read

The Boston Celtics need to add shooting to their team to make it as lethal on offense as the team is currently on defense, and while they don’t have a lot of tools at their disposal to do so this season with the 2022 NBA trade deadline having come and gone with the annual moratorium for adding unsigned players with playoff eligibility just a few days away.

But with players like Payton Pritchard, Aaron Nesmith, and Sam Hauser having a leg up as effective shooters at lower levels of competition who have also shown ability in the NBA, internal development is a path the team can pursue to bolster its efficiency from deep.

Recently appearing on the CLNS Media “Celtics Lab” podcast, Boston alumnus and famed shooter Jason Terry shared his thoughts on what these developing Celtics need to improve their own 3-point marksmanship: “Repetition, repetition, repetition.”

Speaking with the Celtics Wire in the interview, Terry pulled his receipts and told us that “if you ask anybody, you can ask Jason Tatum.”

“The word on the street is he still does my same 3-point routine that I did when I was there with Boston. I got that from one of his assistant coaches who let me know that. So it’s all about repetition, and the more you do something, the better you’re going to be at it.”

“You’ve got to put the work in,” he added emphatically, eliminating the possibility of any quick fixes for Boston’s young shooters.

With a shorter rotation, it may prove tough for these players to all get regular, live-game action to hone their craft from beyond the 3-point line, though Pritchard seems to be picking up momentum for more floor time with his recent play.

The Celtics should make use of the G League to their advantage for the month and half that remains of the Maine affiliate’s 2021-22 season to that end for whoever isn’t getting playing time, letting the team’s youth movement continue to get consistent opportunities to let their shot fly.

Because without that aforementioned repetition, internal improvement at this critical skill will be hard to achieve.

Bob
MY NOTE:  From what I've read both Nesmith and Pritchard are complete gym rats that have "their routines" they follow obsessively.  Confidence is important in a young'un and confidence comes from actually being out on the court competing well but I am confident both of them are doing what they need to do to get on the court.  Pritchard has made it into Ime's Top 8 list.  Nesmith is probably 9th or 10th.  On most teams 9th or 10th would be good enough for solid rotation minutes but not on this squad.  I think Ime was too traumatized by that near implosion a month or so ago.  Interesting that Tatum is using JET's shooting routine.  JET was a great 6th man, his era's Microwave.

Welp. I guess its time to dust off the soap box again.
Our coach has a strategy. To say he may be “traumatized” as possibly being a reason for his not giving the said players more playing time is quite frankly disrespectful. He was not subject to a lasting shock as a result of an emotionally disturbing experience or some physical injury. Why can’t we fans respect the fact that maybe Ime thinks things through like any decent coach will do?
I’m pretty tired of hearing people say that he needs to give the end of the bench more playing time. Why, because we want to see them out there? He’s not coaching to make us feel better. He’s coaching to win and if he doesn’t win eventually he doesn’t have a job. We do want to win don't we? After all its been a minute or two since. This is not directed at you Bob because I have not read anything in the past that you posted that would indicate that you don’t respect him as a coach. I do think that it was a poor choice of words you used to describe why they’re not getting “game repetition”. For others who still question his qualifications, Ime is our head coach. He is not “that guy” or “that man” he’s not a test tube baby and I really wish some would start respecting that because he’s earned it..  
I’m also pretty sure that Terry wasn’t inferring that repetition has to come during games. Practice, practice, practice will better prepare, prepare, prepare them for game time action. The G league doesn’t  sound like a bad idea either. Any coach in the NBA that gives players playing time when its undeserved shouldn’t be “traumatized” if they find their themselves suddenly promoted to a fan for implementing an unwise approach to the team winning basketball games.
Finally, Jason Terry was a consistently good shooter but his year in Boston was hardly indicative of how he shot in his previous 13 yrs in the league. I wouldn’t necessarily say he qualifies to be considered a Microwave during his era either.
If JT sr. says that JT Jr. got his routine from JT sr. I’d like to hear that from that said assistant coach or better yet, JT Jr. himself before I would label whats being said as a valid receipt.

Ktron

Back to top Go down

Celtics alumnus Jason Terry has advice for Boston’s young 3-point shooters-in-training Empty Re: Celtics alumnus Jason Terry has advice for Boston’s young 3-point shooters-in-training

Post by bobheckler Sun Feb 27, 2022 3:28 pm

ktron,

Injuries happen.  Missing games due to COVID, even just cautionary COVID protocols, happens.  If/when they happen Ime will have to go deeper than 8.  That's why you give 9 and 10 some run time before those events happen.

I'm not suggesting he should play them in a barnburner vs Milwaukee or Cleveland, OF COURSE you play your best squad then, but vs lesser teams?  Sure.  That's why you have a bench, to play vs lesser teams and give your heavy minute guys a breather.

Bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Sun Feb 27, 2022 3:52 pm

Bobh

I do not think the word traumatized describes what coach Ime has felt as a coach.  Frustrated maybe, but traumatized?  No way.

From day #1 he has maintained a steadfast continuance.

He said the team's will be characterized by a defensive identity and sharing the ball on offense.

At no point during the season have we seen a deviation from that pledge.  

A month or so ago there was minimal opportunity to play and win with the Romeo Langfords of the world.  Our top guys were still trying to master the switch defense plus other options and they were still trying to embrace a pass first mentality.

Ime did not just figure things out a month ago or two months ago.  

Brad hired the perfect coach for this team. Ime is already in the next phase of team development which means expanded into a deeper rotation. Let's let him do his job and let's let him decide when is the right time to do this, that and the other.
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by Ktron Sun Feb 27, 2022 4:15 pm

bobheckler wrote:ktron,

Injuries happen.  Missing games due to COVID, even just cautionary COVID protocols, happens.  If/when they happen Ime will have to go deeper than 8.  That's why you give 9 and 10 some run time before those events happen.

I'm not suggesting he should play them in a barnburner vs Milwaukee or Cleveland, OF COURSE you play your best squad then, but vs lesser teams?  Sure.  That's why you have a bench, to play vs lesser teams and give your heavy minute guys a breather.

Bob

I’m aware that numerous events can come about during a long season that forces one to go deeper and utilize the bench. Thankfully we don't have that problem right now because if we did we’d be buried in Play-in territory. Why? Because our bench is not very good and playing time does not guarantee that they’re going to get better. It’s not Star Search and Ime is not Ed McMahon. If we had proven bench players then I might agree with you.
Play them during barn burners? Sure but how much and how long? Thats a decision a coach has to make. Agree with him or not, I doubt that he’s not giving them more minutes because he wants to wear his top 8 out. Some may think so. I don't.
Also, based on technology, staffing and the numerous options available to players during this decade, these players should be conditioned to play a lot of minutes. If JoJo and Hondo could do it with less, then a 23-27 yr old player should be able to.
You cant coach a team and win thinking that I have to play my bench in case of injury. As Belichick once said, ‘If you can tell me exactly when a player is going to great hurt let me know and I’ll act accordingly’. Do I want to see Nesmith and company to play and succeed? Yes. But thats up to them. Show and prove.

Ktron

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Sun Feb 27, 2022 4:25 pm

Kitron he said not to play them in barn burners, but against the weaker teams in the league; when we have an established lead, I think the youngins should get some play. Also resting starters in those situations isn’t a bad thing when we have a big playoff grind coming….

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by Ktron Sun Feb 27, 2022 6:17 pm

cowens/oldschool wrote:Kitron he said not to play them in barn burners, but against the weaker teams in the league; when we have an established lead, I think the youngins should get some play. Also resting starters in those situations isn’t a bad thing when we have a big playoff grind coming….

I do agree with him on both counts. I should have said blow outs not barn burners. My bad.

Ktron

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down