BingBang!
atcross
cowens/oldschool
bygone
9 posters

Go down

POST GAME MIAMI HEAT - HOME Empty POST GAME MIAMI -- HOME

Post by bygone Thu Mar 31, 2022 7:30 am

I took away some positives from last night's loss to Miami. When we were playing Ime ball, ferocious defense and , multiple passes, we did well. The bench in the previous game against Raptors also did that very well in a close loss.

Both teams had 27 assists, and turnovers near equal 27 Bos, 25 Mia. In the final 5 games some study of tapes will help us figure out how we need to change, playing without RWill. He's not going to be there for JB to bail out with an alley oop when JB's over defended in the paint (two late game one on threes against excellent Mia defenders), Marcus had too many early in the shot clock threes (3 0f 10 overall), again, no Rob for the lob or putback. Both have got to trust with passes like the bench did against TOR. To JB, JT and Marcus' credit 6, 6,and 8 assists. Well done.  If each of them had one more assist, in Marcus' case maybe two more; we would have been right there at the end.

Coaches and players will figure this out, if not it won't go well in the first round.

Feel free to add this to 112228's Post Game Post. Thanks
bygone
bygone

Back to top Go down

POST GAME MIAMI HEAT - HOME Empty POST GAME MIAMI HEAT - HOME

Post by 112288 Thu Mar 31, 2022 7:37 am

Jimmy Butler scores 24 to help Heat fend off Celtics 106-98

ESPN BOSTON

BOSTON -- — An untimely losing streak has left the Miami Heat with some late-season competition for the Eastern Conference's top seed.

They took a step toward regaining some of the ground they lost recently against one of their chief challengers.

ADVERTISEMENT

Jimmy Butler scored 24 points, Kyle Lowry added 23 and the Miami Heat rallied in the fourth quarter to hold off the Boston Celtics 106-98 on Wednesday night to stay atop the tight race for the conference's top seed.

Bam Adebayo finished with 17 points and 12 rebounds as Miami posted its second straight win since a season-worst four-game losing streak.

"I think we did a good job of just communicating and being there for each other," Lowry said.

After briefly taking over the East's top spot, Boston has lost two in a row for the first time since late January.

Jaylen Brown led the Celtics with 28 points and 10 rebounds. Jayson Tatum added 23 points and six assists.

Despite the loss, Tatum said in the long run it will help strengthen the mettle of this team.

"It's a good thing for us to learn from," Tatum said. "The season is not decided today. We've still got games to play, playoffs. So, we'll be good."

The back-and-forth game had very much the intensity of a playoff matchup, featuring nine ties and 16 lead changes.

Trailing by four points entering the fourth, Miami outscored Boston 27-15 over the final 12 minutes with a level of execution that has been missing over the past few weeks.

"We've gotten a lot better of knowing where the ball has to go," Butler said. "Putting everybody in the position that they need to be in to be successful."

Miami led by just a point at the half, but opened an 11-point cushion at the start of the third quarter.

The Celtics answered, running off 16 straight points to nudge back in front and eventually carried a 83-79 edge into the fourth.

It grew to 90-85 with 7:40 remaining when Daniel Theis tipped in a lob from Derrick White through contact from Dewayne Dedmon, who fouled out on the play.

The Heat stayed composed and responded with 12-3 spurt to take a 98-93 lead on a short jumper by Butler.

Boston cut it 98-96 with less than three minutes left, but came up empty on three straight possessions.

Lowry broke the stalemate with a jumper. Brown then had his shot blocked on the the Celtics' next trip, and Lowry fed Butler for a fastbreak dunk to make it 102-96 with 1:43 left to play.

Boston had its own transition chance trailing 102-98 before Tatum was called for an offensive foul. The Celtics challenged the call, but it stood after review.

After another miss by Boston that was called out of bounds on Boston, Marcus Smart threw his hands up in frustration at the call and was ejected.

Miami was then able to close out the game on the free throw line.

Coach Erik Spoelstra said he likes the seeds his team is planting with the playoffs looming.

"That's why I like going through all these kind of games during the regular season," Spoelstra said. "We had our share of challenges going down the stretch. But what I love about this group is we come in the next day, work at it and really try to get better. Those experiences make you stronger."

TIP-INS

Heat: Caleb Martin sat out with a right calf bruise.

Celtics: Grant Williams took Robert Williams place in the starting lineup. ... Tatum was whistled for a technical foul late in the second quarter after complaining about a foul on Butler.

EARLY ACTION

Wednesday marked the first true glimpse at what the Celtics' lineup and rotations will look like for the foreseeable future with center Robert Williams III sidelined following knee surgery.

Things started a little rocky for Boston with Miami jumping out to an early 8-3 lead, scoring some wide-open baskets as it capitalized on some early miscommunication by the Celtics on the defensive end.

Boston cleaned that up in the second quarter by limiting the Heat to one-shot possessions, forcing turnovers and converting them into points.

Miami took a 53-52 advantage into halftime, with both teams virtually mirroring each other on the stat sheet.

The Heat shot 46% from the field with 14 assists, knocking down eight of 19 from the 3-pont line. The Celtics shot 45% from the floor with 14 assists, connecting on eight of 21 of their shots from beyond the arc.

UP NEXT

Heat: Continue three-game road trip at Chicago on Saturday.

Celtics: Host Indiana on Friday.

Back to top Go down

POST GAME MIAMI HEAT - HOME Empty Re: POST GAME MIAMI HEAT - HOME

Post by cowens/oldschool Thu Mar 31, 2022 9:42 am

Lowry and Strus killed us. Lowry 6-12 from 3, mostly on challenged shots, at 35 sure looks like he still has it. Strus was 4-9 from 3, all big shots, unfortunately Tatum 0-5 and Grant 0-3 from 3. That was pretty much the game right there, as both teams had a lot of TO’s and both took turns playing very good defense. Both J’s faded in the 4th, great coaching and defense by the Heat, they took away a lot of the easy lanes and shots we had been getting recently.

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by atcross Thu Mar 31, 2022 11:11 am

While it seemed like Pritchard was playing with plenty of energy he did not get much involvement in the offense. 20 minutes and only three shots and no assists. But it looked like he was frequently open. Was the Heat defense that good or are the others just not seeing him?

atcross

Back to top Go down

Post by BingBang! Thu Mar 31, 2022 12:47 pm

They didn’t pass him the ball, seemed to use him as a decoy to open up space; which worked on one driving lay up by Jaylen Brown.
BingBang!
BingBang!

Back to top Go down

Post by RosalieTCeltics Thu Mar 31, 2022 1:00 pm

That is going to have to stop, that kid can shoot, period. Tatum forced alot of shots last night that may have been better served giving the ball up. The last play where he took the ball from one end of the floor to the other, everyone knew exactly what he was going to do. Hence, an offensive foul at a very important time. Pritchard was gaining confidence in his play, his shot, his defense. We always remark when a player on another team starts hitting one right after the other, this could be Peyton
RosalieTCeltics
RosalieTCeltics

Back to top Go down

Post by atcross Thu Mar 31, 2022 1:17 pm

RosalieTCeltics wrote:That is going to have to stop, that kid can shoot, period.  Tatum forced alot of shots last night that may have been better served giving the ball up.  The last play where he took the ball from one end of the floor to the other, everyone knew exactly what he was going to do.  Hence, an offensive foul at a very important time.  Pritchard was gaining confidence in his play, his shot, his defense. We always remark when a player on another team starts hitting one right after the other, this could be Peyton

I agree. If they are going to decoy him the other team needs to start covering him. He's not much of a decoy otherwise. Tatum would be the logical decoy. Penetrate and kick will work well if the kick is to a 60% true percentage shooter that the other team sees as option four. They all speak highly of PP but it doesn't seem to have worked its way into their instincts. Yet.

atcross

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Thu Mar 31, 2022 1:27 pm

The Celtics turned the ball over too much last night and they missed too many 3 point shots.

There is one thing that just jumps off the page when you look at our B2B losses.  Both were very winnable games.

Our floor general, Marcus Smart has been horrible in both losses while making bad decisions on his shot selection and a few too many errors on the ball and attempting passes.

I hate to have to single him out because he does so many other things well at a high level but the Marcus I saw the past two games is the Marcus I do not like one bit.

He went 2-11 on 3 point attempts with 6 turnovers vs the Raptors and followed that up by going 3-10 with 6 turnovers vs the Heat.  Several of his turnovers were head scratching moments that left me with too many WTF are you doing Marcus, conversations with the TV.  Just hoping the final assessment will not have a lead in like Dr. Smart and Mr. Hyde.

Atcross brings up an interesting observation about Pritchard and the limited opportunities that were afforded him in this game.  The Heat are smart enough to know which players on their team need shots..  Peyton has been shooting lights out.  I would like to see him utilized as our 3rd offensive option a lot more.  Set more screens for him.  Run more plays where he is the guy that you want to free up for a shot.

DT had an above average offensive game last night (15 points) and Al was all over the glass with 15 rebounds (4 offensive) plus 4 dimes and zero TO's

JB had a very strong game with the exception of some at the basket missed shots down the stretch and Tatum was effectively taken out of his game by a Miami defense that used a lot of help defense to limit his offense.

Derrick White remains an unreliable shot maker.  Grant Williams is turning into a real pain in the ass.  He argues with the refs after every single call.  He has gotten his fair share of props for his overall improvement.  Unfortunately, I'm a 'what have you done for me lately' fan.  In 14 games this month he is shooting 31% from deep.  His shot looks flat to me.

The Pacers visit the TD gardens tomorrow.  It is on to the Pacers.

Last edited by dboss on Thu Mar 31, 2022 6:51 pm; edited 1 time in total
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Thu Mar 31, 2022 6:50 pm

Well maybe this is good for us, teams are not going to give us open lanes like we got in a few blow outs. We better get used to teams doubling and going out of their way to stop Tatum. Let’s see what Ime comes up with.

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by dbrown4 Thu Mar 31, 2022 6:52 pm

Wanted to add to cowens/oldschool. In addition to Lowry and Strus killing us, it appeared JT didn't read the scouting report on Strus as he took away at least two baskets/potential fouls that would have brought us closer.

Yeah, we briefly went back to bad habits of old but it wasn't enough to be really noticeable. A few back/off 3's, ISO ball, TO's. In the playoffs, everything gets magnified and the Heat just beat us. This needs to be a teaching moment to both Ime as well as the team. Ime was also out-coached. Better to learn this lesson now than in the playoffs and getting bounced.

I don't know if having RWIII out there would have changed the outcome. This was definitely a playoff game/atmosphere.

Daniel Theis is a beast. He's not the same guy that played here a couple of seasons ago. He stepped up. He even hit a nice corner 3. RWIII don't do that yet.

4th place it is for us. It doesn't matter right now. We play better on the road anyway. Maybe 3rd if Doc starts tanking PHI to get a favorable first round matchup.

Great game. Unfortunate outcome and we still have some tweaking to do. Ime will figure it out.

db
dbrown4
dbrown4

Back to top Go down

Post by Ktron Thu Mar 31, 2022 7:45 pm

A Marcus Smart intervention:

As I’ve stated in a previous post, I am one of Marcus Smart’s biggest supporters but the last few games he has shown signs of relapsing. Relapsing back to his pray and fire away days.
As a fan and die-hard Celtsaholic I find it necessary to refer to our 12 steps to 18 platform and turn to Step #7- “Humbly asking Marcus to recognize that its too late to remove his shortcoming” of not being the sharpshooter he thinks he is. I suggest that Marcus also turn to our 12 Steps to 18 platform, read and internalize step #4- and “ Make a searching and fearless inventory of himself as our Point Guard. He also needs to internalize Step#1- And “admit that he is not a great shooter and when he takes too many bad or unadvised shots our offense becomes unmanageable”.
Our Head Coach Ime Udoka is the only power greater than Marcus himself That can restore his sanity and call a halt to Smart’s nerve wracking backsliding here lately. But lets not go there. Lets not put the ball in Ime’s hands. Marcus can do this all by his lonesome by referring to and trusting the Celtsaholic 12 steps to 18 platform.

Let us pray-

Our Lord almighty above, having had a spiritual awakening as the result of these steps, we carry and live by this message. Please continue to give Marcus the strength to practice these principles in our quest for Banner 18.
Let the board say AMEN….

Ktron

Back to top Go down

Post by Ktron Thu Mar 31, 2022 8:00 pm

Here lately I have become a much bigger fan of Peyton Pritchard. He has shown me that he can hit the big shot and D up when need be. There are times when some of our players get tunnel vision and forget the fact the Peyton is on the floor ready to fire away but lets not get it twisted. Peyton also has to be more creative and find ways to get open. Too many times i witnessed him standing still and/or not coming to the ball. Not moving enough. Maybe thats the plan. I don’t know but i think it does contribute to his lack of opportunities.
DBoss says that the Heat are smart enough to know which players on their teams need shots. Well, The C’s are too and if you notice those Heat players are constantly moving and that helps just a bit.
So before we anoint Peyton the second coming of Hondo Havlicek, realize that the coaching staff is giving him his opportunities by giving him the minutes that he has earned. Peyton needs to continue to put the work in and find ways to get get open by getting his fat heels to pumping. I believe he’ll see more shot opportunities if he does so.

Ktron

Back to top Go down

Post by atcross Thu Mar 31, 2022 8:24 pm

Ktron wrote:Here lately I have become a much bigger fan of Peyton Pritchard. He has shown me that he can hit the big shot and D up when need be. There are times when some of our players get tunnel vision and forget the fact the Peyton is on the floor ready to fire away but lets not get it twisted. Peyton also has to be more creative and find ways to get open. Too many times i witnessed him standing still and/or not coming to the ball. Not moving enough.  Maybe thats the plan. I don’t know but i think it does contribute to his lack of opportunities.
DBoss says that the Heat are smart enough to know which players on their teams need shots. Well, The C’s are too and if you notice those Heat players are constantly moving and that helps just a bit.
So before we anoint Peyton the second coming of Hondo Havlicek, realize that the coaching staff is giving him his opportunities by giving him the minutes that he has earned. Peyton needs to continue to put the work in and find ways to get get open by getting his fat heels to pumping. I believe he’ll see more shot opportunities if he does so.  
I watched last night's game and I thought I saw a number of instances when Pritchard was open and one of the others took a contested shot instead of passing to him. While the Heat defense is better than others, Pritchard only took three shots last night in 20 minutes. In 21 min against the Twolves he took 7 and had 5 assists. In 17 min he had 7 shots against the Mavs. His defense last night didn't show any lack of energy. Was the Heat defense that much more focused on him.

atcross

Back to top Go down

Post by dbrown4 Fri Apr 01, 2022 8:30 am

Let's blame the PP mystery on RWIII being missing in a game for the first time in a long time/since our run from mediocrity began.

Let's see how Ime picked up on that fact and how he handles it tonight, BOS (-15), in a game where they should be able to iron it out.  With a line like that, this doesn't even qualify it for a you-know-what game...which makes it a you-know-what game!!  Boston knows not to lay an egg tonight.  

As poet laureate T. Nugent once said, "The stakes are high and so am I...It's a free-for-all!!"

db
dbrown4
dbrown4

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down