steve3344
willjr
worcester
RosalieTCeltics
9 posters

Go down

Al Horford-contract Empty Al Horford-contract

Post by RosalieTCeltics Mon May 30, 2022 5:06 pm

Report: Celtics to guarantee Al Horford’s full contract regardless of results in the NBA Finals
It looks like Al Horford may be able to count on $26.5M no matter what happens over the next two weeks.

By Andrew Doxy@AndrewDoxy May 30, 2022, 4:09pm EDT 1 Comment
Share this story
Share this on Facebook (opens in new window)
Share this on Twitter (opens in new window)
All sharing options
Boston Celtics v Miami Heat - Game Seven
Photo by Andy Lyons/Getty Images
Last night, the Boston Celtics advanced to the NBA Finals for the first time since 2010 after defeating the Miami Heat in the Eastern Conference Finals. Al Horford was a massive part of that effort. This morning, it looks like he’s going to be as much as $12M richer because of it.

According to a report by Mass Live’s Brian Robb, the Celtics plan to fully guarantee the final year of Al Horford’s contract which is locked behind a few guarantees. For one, Horford’s contract already became guaranteed up to $19.5M just by virtue of making the Finals in the first place. Had the Celtics lost, they would have just been on the hook for $14.5M. Horford’s contract has one last barrier to a full guarantee – winning it all.

This would take his contract up from a partially guaranteed $19.5M to a fully guaranteed $26.5M contract that would expire in the summer of 2023, leading Horford to be a free agent next summer.

Now, why would the Celtics do this?

Al Horford’s impact this season – particularly this postseason – has had a massive impact on the team’s success. He’s been spectacular on both ends, both in the regular season as part of the NBA’s best defense and in the postseason as an anchor who stretches the floor.

He’s 35 years old, and he’ll have turned 36 by the time Game 2 of the NBA Finals tips off. Horford is averaging 11.9 points, 9.6 rebounds, and 3.5 assists on 50% shooting from the field, 43% from behind the 3-point line, and 83% from the free-throw line. Did I mention that he’s almost 36?

141 playoff games without a Finals appearance. That was the black mark on Horford’s record going into last night’s game. Through a variety of tough performances, including his iconic 30-point performance to keep the Celtics alive against the Milwaukee Bucks in the second round, Horford has been the steady rock.

He’ll be able to afford a lot more rocks with $26.5M next season, if this report is any indication.

The Celtics will tip off Game 1 of the NBA Finals (!) against the Golden State Warriors at 9:00 p.m. ET on Thursday, June 2nd.
RosalieTCeltics
RosalieTCeltics

Back to top Go down

Al Horford-contract Empty Re: Al Horford-contract

Post by worcester Mon May 30, 2022 5:14 pm

He deserves every penny, and it is a tribute to the Celtics organization to act in such a classy manner. This will be noticed around the NBA.
worcester
worcester

Back to top Go down

Post by willjr Mon May 30, 2022 5:27 pm

worcester wrote:He deserves every penny, and it is a tribute to the Celtics organization to act in such a classy manner. This will be noticed around the NBA.
⬆ +1
willjr
willjr

Back to top Go down

Post by steve3344 Mon May 30, 2022 5:48 pm

https://www.bostonglobe.com/2022/05/30/sports/inside-celtics-celebration-following-their-game-7-victory-over-heat/

Inside the celebratory mayhem on the FTX Arena court after the Celtics beat the Heat to advance
By Nicole Yang Globe Staff,Updated May 30, 2022, 12:01 p.m.

MIAMI — Shortly after the final buzzer sounded Sunday evening, Celtics forward Al Horford collapsed to his knees, rested his forearms on the court at FTX Arena, and clenched his fists.

“Yes!” he shouted. “Yes!”

Horford had already jumped up and down with his teammates at halfcourt, but he briefly stepped away from the mayhem to take a moment to himself. The Celtics had just staved off a late run from the top-seeded Miami Heat in Game 7 and clinched a trip to the NBA Finals — their first since 2010, and Horford’s first ever.

“I just didn’t know how to act,” the 15-year pro said. “Just got caught up and excited.”

Horford, who turns 36 Friday, is certainly familiar with the postseason. His teams have advanced to the playoffs 13 times, but reaching the last stage, with a chance to compete for a championship? That’s new territory.

So an emotional Horford soaked in the achievement for about 10 seconds on his own before getting back on his feet. Eager to greet him was two-way player Matt Ryan, ready with a warm embrace. Then came Derrick White and Aaron Nesmith. Nobody was going to leave the court without coming over to Horford.

Jaylen Brown’s thoughts after the game likely spoke for the entire team.

“Nobody deserves it more than this guy,” Brown said. “His energy, his demeanor, coming in every day, being a professional, taking care of his body, being a leader. I’m proud to be able to share this moment with a veteran, a mentor, a brother, a guy like Al Horford.”

After blowing an opportunity to punch their ticket to the Finals on their home floor Friday night, the Celtics nearly bungled their second chance two days later. But Heat All-Star Jimmy Butler’s go-ahead 3-point attempt — contested by Horford — clanked off the front rim with 16.6 seconds remaining, preserving Boston’s victory and title hopes.

There were plenty of hugs to go around at FTX Arena, as president of basketball operations Brad Stevens, president Rich Gotham, and co-owners Wyc Grousbeck and Steve Pagliuca all joined the players and coaches on the court. So did some select friends and family, including Jayson Tatum’s mother, Jaylen Brown’s mother, and Horford’s father.

With the majority of the crowd headed for the exits, the smattering of Celtics fans in attendance made their way to the bottom of the lower bowl, eventually breaking out in a “Let’s go Celtics!” chant. Tatum, the inaugural winner of the Larry Bird Trophy as Eastern finals MVP, couldn’t wipe the smile off his face. Heat guard Max Strus, who spent training camp in Boston in 2019, stuck around to congratulate several of his former teammates, clad in their new “Eastern Conference champion” T-shirts.

For the Celtics, the series-clinching win extended their wildly impressive season turnaround, one that started in late January when they were 11th in the East.

For Horford, it snapped a streak he so desperately wanted to end. Sunday marked the 141st playoff game of his career, the most by a player in NBA history without a trip to the Finals. The count stops there.

“I’m really grateful to be in this position,” Horford said. “I’ve been a part of a lot of great teams, a lot of great teammates, and I’m so proud of this group.”

When it was time to present the Celtics with the Bob Cousy Trophy as Eastern Conference champs, Horford was the first player to receive the hardware. His teammates cheered, though no one seemed more proud than his father Tito, who has followed him through every step of the postseason.

“I’m so excited,” said Tito, also sporting the new hat and T-shirt. “He’s been in the league 15 years. He’s been so close in the past. I was hoping and praying that he would make it to the Finals. That’s been his goal. That’s been his dream.”

Horford being a key contributor on a Finals-bound team is all the more meaningful given his past two seasons. In 2019, he signed a big contract with the Philadelphia 76ers only for the team to implode. In 2020, he was traded to the Oklahoma City Thunder and didn’t suit up for the final two months of the season.

Stevens still believed in his former player, though. His first move after getting promoted from coach to executive was to acquire Horford in exchange for point guard Kemba Walker, a first-round draft pick, and a 2025 second-rounder. Both Horford and his father were thrilled at the time — and, obviously, even more so now.

“His heart has always belonged to the Celtics,” Tito said. “His heart was with the Celtics the entire time. I’m so glad that he came back.”

As the celebration continued Monday night, Tito stayed on the court, interacting with the lingering Celtics fans and grinning from ear to ear. Horford, meanwhile, was in the locker room, where there was no shortage of water-bottle showers.

They both know what’s next, but for now, they rejoice.

“Four more, baby,” Tito said. “I know it’s going to be hard, but he’s in the Finals and he has a chance.”

steve3344

Back to top Go down

Post by dbrown4 Mon May 30, 2022 6:03 pm

Well that $12 Million difference pretty much explains him playing out of his brain like a man possessed!! He needs $26.5 Million! He's earned it. Every penny.

db
dbrown4
dbrown4

Back to top Go down

Post by Ktron Mon May 30, 2022 6:40 pm

dbrown4 wrote:Well that $12 Million difference pretty much explains him playing out of his brain like a man possessed!!  He needs $26.5 Million!  He's earned it.  Every penny.

db
Maybe Al just wanted to….WIN!!

Ktron

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Mon May 30, 2022 7:33 pm

AH far exceeded my expectations. I would have been happy if he won the trophy. I'm just saying.

I am happy for all the guys and especially for Al.
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by prakash Mon May 30, 2022 8:18 pm

Happy for Al! He has been something else this playoff run. We had brought in Theis as insurance if Horford got injured. Theis has not played and it is Horford filling up for the injured TimeLord!

Go Al! Now help us win it all.

prakash

Back to top Go down

Post by NYCelt Mon May 30, 2022 9:48 pm

Al Horford is such a class individual and player; I’m happy to see him finally reach the championship round.

I hope to see him round out his career with a title win over the Warriors.
NYCelt
NYCelt

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down