Jason Tatum Empty Jason Tatum

Post by RosalieTCeltics Sun Aug 21, 2022 7:58 pm

Tatum recalls playing through wrist fracture in playoffs
RosalieTCeltics
RosalieTCeltics

Back to top Go down

Jason Tatum Empty Re: Jason Tatum

Post by bobheckler Sun Aug 21, 2022 8:32 pm

His wrist?  He kept grabbing his shoulder.

Wrist,  shoulder,  they both seem to be OK.

20 points by halftime. This game was played yesterday.

Bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by gyso Sun Aug 21, 2022 11:17 pm

Back to top Go down

Post by gyso Sun Aug 21, 2022 11:21 pm

Celtics' Jayson Tatum says he played through fractured wrist during playoffs

https://www.cbssports.com/nba/news/celtics-jayson-tatum-says-he-played-through-fractured-wrist-during-playoffs/

Tatum suffered the injury in a win over the Hawks on Super Bowl Sunday

By Jack Maloney
1 hr ago

Boston Celtics star Jayson Tatum revealed in an interview on Sunday that he played through a fractured wrist during the 2022 NBA playoffs. Tatum did not miss any games in the playoffs as he led the Celtics to their first NBA Finals appearance since 2010, where they ultimately lost to the Golden State Warriors in six games.

Speaking to Taylor Rooks of Bleacher Report, Tatum explained that he initially suffered the injury in a win over the Atlanta Hawks on Super Bowl Sunday. He was initially supposed to get his wrist examined during the All-Star break, but decided to play through the pain because he didn't want to miss games.

Finally, prior to the playoffs he agreed to get imaging done which revealed a non-displaced fracture. While the bone had healed over to some extent in the time between the initial injury and the playoffs, it was still painful enough to require a cortisone shot during the second round of the playoffs.

Tatum's comments in full:

Whenever the Super Bowl was [February 13] we played the Hawks at home and I remember driving back to the house and I had my watch on and in the car I kept looking at my wrist because it was like something was weighing on it. Long story short, my wrist was really, really bothering me. I had a pad on it and I started taping my wrist. My trainer Nick, we had talked about getting it looked at before the All-Star break. But as All-Star break approached I got nervous to get it looked at because I knew how much pain I was in. I couldn't really push my wrist back, at home I couldn't really hold a plate or a cup. So after each game I was wearing a brace to keep it stable, I had to sleep in it.

But I was nervous to get it checked out, because I never want somebody to tell me I can't play. If anybody knows me, my teammates, I never want to miss a game. I've tried to play every game of every season. I hate coming out, I hate getting subbed out, I hate missing games. I pushed it to the side and didn't get it checked out before All-Star break. Fast forward to right before the playoffs, we had six or seven days off and Nick was like 'we gotta get it looked at.' I'm like, 'alright, that's cool, but it's the playoffs. I don't care what they say, I'm playing.'

Come to find out, this was eight weeks later, it showed that I had a non-displaced fracture in my wrist. It was small but a non-displaced chip. So I chipped a bone but it didn't leave the surface. It showed that the bone had grown over it, so it healed, but I was still in pain because I kept getting hit or falling on it. So I guess I played with somewhat of a fracture for two months.

Then in the playoffs there was a play against Milwaukee in Game 3. I dunked it, Giannis chased me down and he fouled me. I fell into the crowd and that was the most painful it's been since that day that I hurt it. I ended up getting a cortisone shot in my wrist that night, and you can see it. I've lost color in my hand because it kills the fat cells and there's not a lot of fat in my hand so I've lost color right there.

After each game I would have to wear a brace to shootaround and I would take it off before the cameras saw me, and pre-game taking my nap I would put it back on just to make sure it was stable. Yeah, [no one knew] besides the team. But in my mind if I'm going out there to play, it's like nothing matters.

Tatum had previously acknowledged the wrist injury, telling reporters during the second round against the Bucks, "That's something I've been dealing with for probably like two months now. It wasn't anything abnormal. When I fall on it, it bothers me."

The extent was unknown, though, and no one outside the organization was aware he was playing through a fracture. In fact, his shoulder received more attention during the playoffs after he suffered a stinger during Game 3 of the Eastern Conference finals against the Miami Heat. Tatum said he wouldn't need any offseason procedure on his shoulder and did not blame it for his inconsistent performances at times during the postseason.

But while Tatum may not use the injuries as an excuse, a fractured wrist and sore shoulder would help explain why his shooting and ball handling were all over the place at times. In any case, Tatum should be 100 percent heading into next season and the Celtics will once again be among the favorites to win the East.

Back to top Go down

Post by jrleftfoot Mon Aug 22, 2022 1:20 am

I've been critical of Tatum. This changes my perspective
jrleftfoot
jrleftfoot

Back to top Go down

Post by dbrown4 Mon Aug 22, 2022 8:23 am

All of ours, Rosalie.  If just that behavior alone doesn't have Bleeding Celtic Green written all over it, I'm going to have to re-check the definition!  Now I really can't wait for the season to begin!!

db
dbrown4
dbrown4

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Mon Aug 22, 2022 9:51 am

Rosalie

I think this sheds a diiferent light on his mental toughness to be able to play through injuries.  Even nice guys can be tough.
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by Ktron Mon Aug 22, 2022 2:58 pm

We’ll see

Ktron

Back to top Go down

Post by gyso Tue Aug 23, 2022 8:18 am

Jayson Tatum reveals he played through wrist fracture during playoffs

https://www.celticsblog.com/2022/8/22/23315699/jayson-tatum-played-through-wrist-fracture-during-playoffs-boston-celtics-giannis-antetokounmpo

In an interview with Taylor Rooks and Bleacher Report, the Celtics star admitted he played through a non-displaced fracture in his wrist during the playoffs.

By TimSheilsNBA  Aug 22, 2022, 9:00am EDT  86 Comments / 86 New

On Sunday evening, Jayson Tatum took part in an interview with Taylor Rooks of Bleacher Report where he opened up about this past season, including an undisclosed injury that reared its ugly head again during the playoffs against the Milwaukee Bucks. According to Tatum, his wrist first bothered him after playing the Atlanta Hawks on February 13th of this past season.

“I remember driving back to the house and I had my watch on. In the car, I kept looking at my wrist because something is weighing on it,” recalled Tatum. “Long story short, my wrist was really, really bothering me, and I started taping my wrist. I had a pad on it and started taping my wrist (in game).”

Ultimately, Tatum and his trainer, Nick Sang, wanted the wrist to get looked at before the All-Star break. But as the time approached to get it checked, Tatum admitted he grew more and more nervous about it being a severe injury due to the amount of pain in his wrist.

“I got nervous to get it looked at because I knew how much pain I was in,” said Tatum. “I couldn’t really push my wrist back. At home, I couldn’t hold a plate or a cup. So after each game I was wearing a brace to keep it stable. I had to sleep in it.” The Celtics star said he was mostly nervous because he didn’t want someone to say he needed to miss time or rest due to the injury.

“If anybody knows me, (like) my teammates, I never wanna miss a game. I’ve tried to play every game of every season that I can. I hate coming out, I hate getting subbed out, I hate missing (games). So I pushed it to the side, I didn’t go get it checked out before the All-Star break.”

Eight weeks passed, and it was only until the play-in game did Sang push for Tatum to get his wrist looked at before the Celtics first round matchup was decided. The scans of his wrist revealed Tatum had been playing through a fracture. “It showed that I had a non-displaced fracture in my wrist. It was small, but it was still a non-displaced chip.”

The scan also revealed that it had partially healed as the bone grew over the chip, but the wear and tear of constantly getting hit or falling on it was causing significant pain. Tatum had essentially been playing with a fracture in his wrist for roughly two months before finally getting his injury diagnosed, but only until Boston’s series against Milwaukee did it seriously flare up again.

“There was a play against Milwaukee in Game 3,” said Tatum. “I dunked it, and Giannis chased me down. He fouled me, and I fell into the crowd. That was the most painful it’s been since that day that hurt it. I ended up getting a cortisone shot in my wrist that night.”

Tatum and the team kept the injury under wraps, which was difficult since he needed to keep it wrapped or braced whenever he wasn’t on the court. “After each game, I would have to wear a brace to shootaround, and I would take it off before the cameras saw me. Pregame, taking my nap, I’d have to put it back on, just to make sure it was stable.”

The injury was well kept, and Tatum affirmed that if he was on the floor, nothing else mattered. “Everybody’s banged up, a little hurt. If you’re injured, then you can’t play. But that was the whole reason why I was scared to get an MRI because I was like ‘something is wrong, but I don’t want anyone to tell me I can’t play.’” Tatum said that the wrist is all good now after giving it time to heal and resting it properly in the offseason.

Be sure to give the whole interview a listen, as Tatum opens up about the viral videos and photos of his workout with Kevin Durant as well as recovering in the aftermath of losing in The Finals.

My comments: Click on the link to see embedded videos.

I find it amazing that they were able to keep this out of the media. Nobody had a clue about this until he spoke of it in a recent interview.  I cannot imagine what else we fans do not know about; the various minor injuries the long season brings about, the emotional toll that the microscope of the media and fans bring to their everyday existence, the separation from their families through the long season, etc.

It used to be that the wives and kids stayed at home and, over time, became strangers to their dads.  KC Jones and his daughter didn't talk for decades.  They both lived to regret their distance, so much wasted time.   No wonder many of these players now travel with their families and they can be found in the crowd at the games.  

In the vacuum of not knowing, many fans feel the need to cast aspersions onto the players on the very teams that they profess to be fans of.  Some fans feel the need to take their daily dump on the team or a player because they think they know them?

I find that amazing, for a different reason.

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Tue Aug 23, 2022 8:45 am

I respect that he’s toughminded and all, but how do you wait 2 months with lingering pain? Should have gotten it checked out sooner and sure team doctors could have only helped. Amazing playing thru so many injuries, he helped significantly carrying us all the way to the Finals.

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Wed Aug 24, 2022 6:09 pm

Saw a podcast yesterday and apparently the wrist injury was reported on by Jeff Goodman a while back.

I hope he is fully recovered from the wrist , shoulder and whatever else ails him.  

The only thing that could slow the Celtics down are health related.
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by Ktron Wed Aug 24, 2022 6:19 pm

Most fans respond to player situations because of sheer ignorance and/or being so emotionally attached to that team or player.
For some fans even knowing the facts doesn’t result in them laying off the player and being Critical. It’s sports. Most fans don’t know or care to know because most fans are reactionary. It has been that way through the decades that I’ve followed it and more than likely decades before that. Nothing amazing about that.

Ktron

Back to top Go down

Post by worcester Wed Aug 24, 2022 9:31 pm

All I can say about the interview is - Taylor Rooks, WOW!
worcester
worcester

Back to top Go down

Post by bobc33 Fri Aug 26, 2022 1:08 pm

Two thoughts on this:

1. Worcester I agree with your comment about Taylor Rooks!

2. With the popularity of betting and the NBA going all in on gambling on the games, I’m surprised the NBA doesn’t have mandatory injury disclosures similar to the NFL. I would be pissed if I bet the Celtics not knowing their star player had a fractured bone!

Back to top Go down

Post by Matty Fri Aug 26, 2022 6:20 pm

worcester wrote:All I can say about the interview is - Taylor Rooks, WOW!

yup.
Matty
Matty

Back to top Go down

Post by RosalieTCeltics Fri Aug 26, 2022 9:15 pm

For the entire playoffs, I can remember saying that something just did not look right with Tatum. It was so obvious to me that he was exhausted, but it was more. We tend to think these young guys should not get tired, but, in fact, they do. Now we hear the truth about what was going on. All of the people who blamed this kid for just being so “off” during the GSW series, we how know more was going on.

Bring on the new year with our two studs and the rest of this team. I am excited to see just how good they will be.
RosalieTCeltics
RosalieTCeltics

Back to top Go down

Post by worcester Fri Aug 26, 2022 11:02 pm

Me too Rosalie.
worcester
worcester

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Sat Aug 27, 2022 1:13 am

Considering all the injuries he was going thru, he was still great, had a bunch of huge games in every series. He outplayed KD, had some monster games vs Bucks. We obviously don’t beat Heat without him, kid is tough.

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Sat Sep 10, 2022 5:45 pm

https://sports.yahoo.com/celtics-star-forward-jayson-tatum-185950399.html

Celtics star forward Jayson Tatum seen adding a fake stepback to his offensive toolkit

Justin Quinn

Sat, September 10, 2022 at 11:59 AM·2 min read

With each NBA offseason, players get to work on improving their games and maintaining their bodies in preparation for the campaign to come, and Boston Celtics star forward Jayson Tatum is no exception to this cycle.

The St. Louis native was recently seen working on adding a new offensive tool for his bag with longtime basketball trainer Drew Hanlen of Pure Sweat. Widely known for his sidestep 3-pointer, Tatum is now working on introducing a fake step-back trey to his arsenal as well, which ought to leave defenders frustrated and confused if deployed often and well enough to be effective.

The Celtics star can be seen trying it out in the video embedded below courtesy of Pure Sweat’s Twitter account, still looking a little unnatural and in need of polishing up.

Pure Sweat
@PureSweat
·
Follow
.@jaytatum0  is in the lab working on a fake step-back this off-season! The Virtual Skills School is the ultimate destination for every coach and player to start elevating their game: http://pureswe.at/skills

https://twitter.com/i/status/1567240791998734336

Bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down