And now for something completely different, Luke's a starter?

+8
worcester
atcross
sinus007
dboss
Ktron
bobheckler
NYCelt
gyso
12 posters

Go down

And now for something completely different, Luke's a starter? Empty And now for something completely different, Luke's a starter?

Post by gyso Thu Sep 29, 2022 12:12 pm

Joe Mazzulla on Luke Kornet in the starting lineup: ‘I definitely think it’s something’

https://www.celticsblog.com/2022/9/29/23377861/boston-celtics-training-camp-luke-kornet-starters-joe-mazzulla-media-day-robert-williams-al-horford

Kornet was grouped up with the starters at training camp, and Mazzulla said that playing big is a part of their identity.

By Jack Simone@JackSimoneNBA  Sep 29, 2022, 10:00am EDT

And now for something completely different, Luke's a starter? Scree390

Last season, the Boston Celtics found a ton of success playing big. The combination of Al Horford and Robert Williams in the frontcourt allowed them to remain flexible on offense while also creating one of the most dominant defensive lineups in the NBA.

In fact, the five-man starting lineup of Marcus Smart, Jaylen Brown, Jayson Tatum, Horford, and Williams had the best defensive rating in the NBA among all five-man groups with at least 200 minutes played. The Celtics found a formula that worked and they stuck to it.

However, Boston hit a slight fork in the road this year, as the team announced that Robert Williams underwent arthroscopic knee surgery and will miss roughly 8-12 weeks. That timetable indicates that Williams likely won’t suit up until December or early in 2023.

But according to interim head coach Joe Mazzulla, that won’t necessarily stop them from playing big. At the Celtics’ first training camp session, big man Luke Kornet was seen playing with the starters alongside Horford. When asked about it, Mazzulla said that it could be something to watch out for.

“That was our identity last year, was trying to play big. And like I said before, we’re trying to figure out our identity on the defensive end, and keeping it as consistent as we can is important, so I definitely think it’s something.”

Kornet re-signed with the Celtics this summer on a partially guaranteed, two-year contract. He originally joined the Celtics during the 2020-21 season as a part of the Daniel Theis trade, but he wasn’t brought back to the main roster until this past year.

The 7’2 big man appeared in games for three teams last season - the Cleveland Cavaliers, Milwaukee Bucks, and Celtics, but Boston eventually inked him to a standard contract after some roster spots opened up after the trade deadline.

Bobby Manning of CLNS Media and CelticsBlog asked Mazzulla what he likes about Kornet in that spot, and Boston’s coach said that “he’s smart, he knows how to play, great screener, [and a] good rebounder.”

When the Celtics traded Theis in the deal for Malcolm Brogdon this summer, it was clear that Kornet would have additional duties this season. But with Williams out, his responsibilities could be taken to a whole new level. At Celtics Media Day, Kornet was asked about what his potential role this year, and while he didn’t provide an exact answer to the question, he said that he’ll be ready for anything.

“I mean, I definitely realize there’s definitely a great chance of being a more involved member, in terms of being on the court. I’m honestly just, I think it’s kind of the same thing I’ve always done, it’s just being ready for whatever role I’m given. Through my experience in my career, even game to game it can go from zero minutes, to 25, to 10, to 30, to zero. So it’s like, to be ready for all that.”

In the 30 total games Kornet has appeared in with the Celtics over the course of the past two seasons, he’s averaged just 11.3 minutes per contest. His averages sit at just 3.5 points, 2.6 rebounds, and 0.9 blocks when in a Boston uniform.

Kornet also spoke about how he’s been able to learn about the team more since joining the Celtics, and he understands how to play his game to compliment everyone else.

“I’ve had a lot of time of being able to be around these guys now compared to when I first came here. I feel like I have a lot more understanding of guys’ games and how I can kind of play mine to be able to help them.”

Throughout his time with the Celtics, Kornet has only played 15 or more minutes in 10 games and 20 or more minutes in two games. That being said, the organization has shown a ton of confidence in his ability to play the role he’s expected to step into. Brad Stevens has given Kornet his vote of confidence (via his words and a telling Twitter “like”), and now Mazzulla has echoed those sentiments.

Seeing Kornet play big-time minutes and potentially start isn’t what most people expected when Boston constructed their current roster, but both he and the team are ready for him to step up when he needs to.

My comment: Kornet isn't feeling the love from the fans, but the coaching staff seems to think he may fit into their plans.

Thoughts?

Back to top Go down

And now for something completely different, Luke's a starter? Empty Re: And now for something completely different, Luke's a starter?

Post by NYCelt Thu Sep 29, 2022 12:31 pm

The coaching staff obviously sees something in Kornet that we on the outside are not aware of.

Hard to fathom with the little knowledge we all have on what happens in practice, but it would be a big plus if Luke turns out to be the lifeline that's needed at center.

We'll see, but just writing that made me laugh a little.
NYCelt
NYCelt

Back to top Go down

And now for something completely different, Luke's a starter? Empty Re: And now for something completely different, Luke's a starter?

Post by bobheckler Thu Sep 29, 2022 1:19 pm

Gawd Help Us!!!

Look, I fully understand, and fully support, Joe's stated intent of trying to change as little as possible from last year.  I also get what he is saying about us playing big last year.  Speaking as someone who was ready to move on from Brad's obsession with Smallball I was relieved to see Ime go that route.

But Luke Kornet?!!  C'mon, man.

I hope this is just Joe doing what Ime did last year when he started Nesmith. He wanted to surround a weak link with high quality veterans.

Bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by Ktron Thu Sep 29, 2022 1:22 pm

Coach talk. Ignore what they’re saying and worry more about what they may do. I have good vision and my not so lying eyes tell me Luke doesn’t even belong in the NBA.
If we are even speaking of Kornet getting anywhere close to 5 minutes per game we are one desperate team heading no where.

Ktron

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Thu Sep 29, 2022 2:02 pm

We have 4 preseason games.  Two each vs the Hornets and Raptors.  The Hornets start Plumblee.  They do not use a 2 big lineup.  Their BU centers  are Nick Richards, a little used 7 footer and they drafted 7 footer, Mark Williams out of Duke with the 15th pick in the draft.   Their center rotation has not been a position of strength.  I would expect Kornet to at least hold his own.

The Raptors present an entirely different situation with their 50 + long athletic and quick frontline.

The Hornets cannot and should not be used as a barometer for Luke's fit as a starter because they do not have a top of the line center.  When we play Toronto we will find out PDQ if he has the skill set to keep up. Those guys are glass pounders.

Going into the regular season we have to play Embid, Bam and the Cleveland 2 big lineup (twice)

Coach Joe (I like that) will need to figure things out asap because we cannot afford to replicate a slow start again.

A 2 big lineup worked last year but when one of those pieces is not available it will not be easily to find a acceptable replacement.  

I do not have a lot of faith that Kornet can fill in for us.  There is no way possible that our defense can be as good and he will not be a substitute for our vertical offense threat. However, I would be really happy if he can play well.

I really am anxious to see how Kabengele fits into our 2 big lineup scheme.

Coach Joe has other options.  For example, he could move Grant into the starting lineup or he could go with an impressive 3 wing lineup by putting Brogdon in their with the Jays, Marcus and AH.

I would probably opt for the 3 wing lineup.
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Thu Sep 29, 2022 2:40 pm

Chris Forsberg @ChrisForsberg_
about 14 minutes ago
Jayson Tatum on Boston's healthy bigs: "We've known Luke for a while ... [Kabengele], extremely active, physical lob threat. Grant, kinda short." (Then adds on Grant: "Competes, great body. We know what Grant's gonna give us every night.")

Bob
MY NOTE:  I've been a fan of Grant from the beginning, even when he started out 0-25 from 3, but he was mis-positioned by Brad when he played smallball 5 and that was after Brad told him to bulk up to do it.  Now, 15# lighter?  NFW he can play 5 down low other than on switches.

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by sinus007 Thu Sep 29, 2022 3:11 pm

Hi,
I hope it's just a joke. Unless they want to show Luke off for a possible trade.

AK
sinus007
sinus007

Back to top Go down

Post by atcross Thu Sep 29, 2022 3:36 pm

I'm not nearly as pessimistic as others on Kornet. People seem to write guys off if they don't immediately come in and knock our socks off. But Kornet didn't appear to be completely lost when he was on the court and just about all of our young big prospects looked lost the first year. We're talking about a sub here for a few weeks while RWIII heals. So it would be nice to have someone who already knew the plays and defensive rotations and that everyone else on the floor doesn't have to adapt to. I'm sure we'll see a lot of lineups that move Brogdon in or White or moves Al over to 5 (though that doesn't help limit his minutes). Kabengele can get some minutes or maybe Vonleh behind him. But when RWIII comes back management will know what they've got and whether to look for other solutions. The fact remains that Kornet has 4 to 6 inches (depending on who's measuring) on Kabengele and 8 inches on Grant. And while we haven't seen it much in the very limited and sporadic minutes he's gotten, he is scouted as a 3pt shooter. Kabengele isn't.

RWIII was in DPOY conversations. We're not going to be thrilled by anyone brought in to replace him at this point.

atcross

Back to top Go down

Post by Ktron Thu Sep 29, 2022 5:41 pm

This isn’t Star Search and Ed McMahon certainly is not walking through that door.
This isn’t basketball’s version of American Idol or Channel 4’s Community Audition. This is the NBA. The fact that Kornet’s name is even whispered as a possibility is telling me that it’ll probably be another 14 years before we win another title.

Ktron

Back to top Go down

Post by atcross Thu Sep 29, 2022 8:21 pm

Ktron wrote:This isn’t Star Search and Ed McMahon certainly is not walking through that door.
This isn’t basketball’s version of American Idol or Channel 4’s Community Audition. This is the NBA. The fact that Kornet’s name is even whispered as a possibility is telling me that it’ll probably be another 14 years before we win another title.

Five NBA GMs thought he was an NBA player. He may not be the starter you want for a championship team but we're not talking about that. We're talking about an emergency fill in. If he doesn't work out it will be corrected. But I think it's over the top for us to be saying this is some sort of catastrophe. If it doesn't work we'll see Kabengele or maybe Vonleh or a player yet to be named, not the end of the world.

atcross

Back to top Go down

Post by worcester Thu Sep 29, 2022 9:32 pm

I have been down on Luke for a long time. I never saw him fight for the ball or box out. Maybe he has it in him. He has the size to play center, but does he have the internal toughness, the fire? We shall see.
worcester
worcester

Back to top Go down

Post by NYCelt Thu Sep 29, 2022 10:25 pm

atcross wrote:I'm not nearly as pessimistic as others on Kornet. People seem to write guys off if they don't immediately come in and knock our socks off. But Kornet didn't appear to be completely lost when he was on the court and just about all of our young big prospects looked lost the first year. We're talking about a sub here for a few weeks while RWIII heals. So it would be nice to have someone who already knew the plays and defensive rotations and that everyone else on the floor doesn't have to adapt to. I'm sure we'll see a lot of lineups that move Brogdon in or White or moves Al over to 5 (though that doesn't help limit his minutes). Kabengele can get some minutes or maybe Vonleh behind him. But when RWIII comes back management will know what they've got and whether to look for other solutions. The fact remains that Kornet has 4 to 6 inches (depending on who's measuring) on Kabengele and 8 inches on Grant. And while we haven't seen it much in the very limited and sporadic minutes he's gotten, he is scouted as a 3pt shooter. Kabengele isn't.

RWIII was in DPOY conversations. We're not going to be thrilled by anyone brought in to replace him at this point.

Valid points.

We’ll see if Kabengele or Vonleh hold any promise. Neither has been able to hold much interest from an NBA team despite having some good opportunities.

My biggest concern is that the true need may be a center to replace RWIII. Several leg and joint issues make me think his potential for a short career is high.

Fingers crossed.
NYCelt
NYCelt

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Fri Sep 30, 2022 8:28 am

worcester wrote:I have been down on Luke for a long time. I never saw him fight for the ball or box out. Maybe he has it in him. He has the size to play center, but does he have the internal toughness, the fire? We shall see.

Can a player gain that fire and fundamentals after never showing it ever? I don’t think so

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Fri Sep 30, 2022 8:30 am

NYCelt wrote:
atcross wrote:I'm not nearly as pessimistic as others on Kornet. People seem to write guys off if they don't immediately come in and knock our socks off. But Kornet didn't appear to be completely lost when he was on the court and just about all of our young big prospects looked lost the first year. We're talking about a sub here for a few weeks while RWIII heals. So it would be nice to have someone who already knew the plays and defensive rotations and that everyone else on the floor doesn't have to adapt to. I'm sure we'll see a lot of lineups that move Brogdon in or White or moves Al over to 5 (though that doesn't help limit his minutes). Kabengele can get some minutes or maybe Vonleh behind him. But when RWIII comes back management will know what they've got and whether to look for other solutions. The fact remains that Kornet has 4 to 6 inches (depending on who's measuring) on Kabengele and 8 inches on Grant. And while we haven't seen it much in the very limited and sporadic minutes he's gotten, he is scouted as a 3pt shooter. Kabengele isn't.

Valid points.

We’ll see if Kabengele or Vonleh hold any promise. Neither has been able to hold much interest from an NBA team despite having some good opportunities.

My biggest concern is that the true need may be a center to replace RWIII. Several leg and joint issues make me think his potential for a short career is high.

Fingers crossed.

I hear you loud and clear, that would be a shame….life is never fair

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by Celtics17 Fri Sep 30, 2022 11:04 am

C'mon Luke Kornet. Nothing against the guy personally, but unless an amazing transition took place over the summer, he should not be playing meaningful minutes. Coaches sometimes have to say nice things to motivate. From what I saw of Kabengele in the summer league I would take him in a heartbeat over Luke.
Celtics17
Celtics17

Back to top Go down

Post by Ktron Fri Sep 30, 2022 11:35 am

atcross wrote:
Ktron wrote:This isn’t Star Search and Ed McMahon certainly is not walking through that door.

Five NBA GMs thought he was an NBA player. He may not be the starter you want for a championship team but we're not talking about that. We're talking about an emergency fill in. If he doesn't work out it will be corrected. But I think it's over the top for us to be saying this is some sort of catastrophe. If it doesn't work we'll see Kabengele or maybe Vonleh or a player yet to be named, not the end of the world.
Maybe not but when there’s still players out there like Demarcus Cousins and Dwight Howard and we are in a win now mode why screw around with this dude?
Do you think that he brings more to the table in a year where we are so close then the two mentioned above?

Ktron

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Fri Sep 30, 2022 11:40 am

Celtics17 wrote:C'mon Luke Kornet. Nothing against the guy personally, but unless an amazing transition took place over the summer, he should not be playing meaningful minutes. Coaches sometimes have to say nice things to motivate. From what I saw of Kabengele in the summer league I would take him in a heartbeat over Luke.

C17,

I'm on record as saying I'm underwhelmed by Luke Kornet, however, Joe has gone on record pointing out we had a lot of success last year "going big" and that he wants to stick with what he knows has worked for us.  I'm also on record as calling for Brad to sign D12 or some other legit NBA big.

Kabengele, at 6'9" 250# 7'3" wingspan and having a "live body" has a good shot at being upgraded to a full NBA contract.  Noah Vonleh, at 6'10", 255# and a 7'4 1/2" wingspan (and, very importantly, one of if not the longest height-to-wingspan difference ever measured at the NBA Combine) also has a good shot.   "Fee", as Kabengele's teammates call him, might be more active than Vonleh, and that gives him the edge.  We're in an age where quick leaping and fleetness of foot is valued in a big more than sheer size and bulk (see Williams, Robert).  If so, then I don't understand the fascination with Luke just because he has a 9'6" standing reach.  That means that, just standing under the basket and reaching up, he's just 4" short of touching the rim.  Ok, but you don't get to just stand there...

Bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by birnam Fri Sep 30, 2022 12:00 pm

bobheckler wrote: I don't understand the fascination with Luke just because he has a 9'6" standing reach.  That means that, just standing under the basket and reaching up, he's just
4" short of touching the rim.  Ok, but you don't get to just stand there...

Errrrr, 6 inches, Heck

birnam

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Fri Sep 30, 2022 12:37 pm

Jared Weiss @JaredWeissNBA
about 35 minutes ago
Celtics center Luke Kornet suffered an ankle sprain in practice this week and will miss one-to-two weeks, sources tell me and @Shams Charania.

Bob
MY NOTE:  So much for starting...Wow.  Our front court is snake bit.  We shore things up a bit by signing Blake and Luke goes down. WTF?! Maybe Luke's injury expedited the Griffin signing?

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Fri Sep 30, 2022 2:05 pm

bobheckler wrote:Jared Weiss @JaredWeissNBA
about 35 minutes ago
Celtics center Luke Kornet suffered an ankle sprain in practice this week and will miss one-to-two weeks, sources tell me and @Shams Charania.

Bob
MY NOTE:  So much for starting...Wow.  Our front court is snake bit.  We shore things up a bit by signing Blake and Luke goes down.  WTF?!  Maybe Luke's injury expedited the Griffin signing?

Yeah I saw that.  Luke was plan B after Rob now we go to plan C.  Candidates include Grant, Brogdon , Kabengele or Vonleh.
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Fri Sep 30, 2022 2:07 pm

Luke will not be starting on opening night.

The 4 meaningless preseason games plus practice will yield forth a starter.
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by Vankisa Fri Sep 30, 2022 3:54 pm

Ktron wrote:Coach talk. Ignore what they’re saying and worry more about what they may do. I have good vision and my not so lying eyes tell me Luke doesn’t even belong in the NBA.
If we are even speaking of Kornet getting anywhere close to 5 minutes per game we are one desperate team heading no where.

+1
More or less my thoughts on the matter, specifically the bold part.

Vankisa

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Fri Sep 30, 2022 5:29 pm

Next up...Kabingele. Let's see if his SL showing is transferrable.

If Joe is looking to roll out the same type of lineup as last year, Kabingele looks more similar to Rob than any of our other bigs.

It seems to me that he would be next man up unless newly acquired veteran, Blake Griffin, gets the early nod. Assuming Kornet will not be ready to start on day one someone else will.

Should be interesting to see what happens. A lot of tough games from the opening gun.

dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by Ktron Fri Sep 30, 2022 6:41 pm

I kept seeing the name Joe and couldn’t figure out who y’all were talking about.
Duh, I finally figured it. He’s only the head coach. Duh again. :>)

Ktron

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down