dboss
Sam
gyso
steve3344
NYCelt
16 posters

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

SHOULD WE BE LOOKING FOR ANOTHER BIG? Empty SHOULD WE BE LOOKING FOR ANOTHER BIG?

Post by 112288 Fri Nov 12, 2010 10:03 pm

All the reports I am reading about JO (O'Neil) knee is getting me concerned. Although it appears that the knee is stable and strong there may be a more serious ailment setting in.....Arthritis. That is something you cannot fully repair unless you do a knee replacement.

If so his career could be over. Although Erdin is advancing at a nice pace he is not play-off seasoned and rounded off to a starting center yet. So what should the Celtics do. Wait for Perk to come back in February or seek insurance with another big man?

Don't get me wrong, I love Perk but what you may find come February is a Perkin much like KG of last year after his knee surgery. That worries me. So I'll put it out to the members for debate/discussion. Should we be seeking another big man?

Back to top Go down

SHOULD WE BE LOOKING FOR ANOTHER BIG? Empty Re: SHOULD WE BE LOOKING FOR ANOTHER BIG?

Post by NYCelt Sat Nov 13, 2010 11:59 pm

112288 wrote: Should we be seeking another big man?

YES
NYCelt
NYCelt

Back to top Go down

SHOULD WE BE LOOKING FOR ANOTHER BIG? Empty Re: SHOULD WE BE LOOKING FOR ANOTHER BIG?

Post by 112288 Sun Nov 14, 2010 12:08 am

Probably towards the trading dead line. Nothing out there now worth looking at. Erdin looked a little out of sots tonight and really did not contibute. He was more aggressive in pre-season. Don't know if he is confused with the system or his shoulder is really bad off.

Back to top Go down

Post by 112288 Sun Nov 14, 2010 12:42 am

I wonder id Rasheed is doing wind sprints and a little shoot around just in case?

Back to top Go down

Post by steve3344 Sun Nov 14, 2010 1:15 am

112288 wrote:I wonder id Rasheed is doing wind sprints and a little shoot around just in case?

Bite your tongue.

steve3344

Back to top Go down

Post by gyso Sun Nov 14, 2010 8:25 am

I say no.

We are 8-2 and really don't know anything about Jermain's knee issue. If it is like he said at the airport, he may just need a couple weeks down time.

Our current schedule has only 2 games in the next 7 days, so that would take care of the down time to begin with.

We get Delonte now and that changes the bench dynamic in ways we cannot even begin to understand.

If we wait just one more month, we may be able to trade our spare parts for something, but nobody has stepped up to help us by taking our leftovers in the past.

No, this is no time to panic and throw away the MLE, Perk or Glen.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam Sun Nov 14, 2010 9:18 am

gyso, how is the MLE ours to throw away? I thought it was used on Jermaine.

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

https://samcelt.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Sun Nov 14, 2010 10:00 am

None of us can really know enough about JON's physical condition. But he does not appear to be quite ready to play a vital role for the Celtics yet. At 8-2 the Celtics have still been winning while missing 2 bigs (JON and Perk) as well as combo guard D West.

I think it may be too early to contemplate adding another big. The Celtics just need to manage and monitor the minutes played by Shaq and give JON and Perk the time needed to heal. If Shaq was also forced to missed a lot of games the Celtics would be thin at the center spot. However they are in the same position as every other team. Injuries are part of the game. Good teams find ways to overcome them. The lakers are still hoping that Bynum can come back strong. In the meantime, just like the Celtics, they just keep rolling along.

dboss
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by gyso Sun Nov 14, 2010 11:10 am

Sam wrote:gyso, how is the MLE ours to throw away? I thought it was used on Jermaine.

Sam

Sam,

The MLE we would be throwing away would be Jermaine (in the context and intent that I used the term). In other words, if Jermaine was so damaged and offered nothing this year and next, we would have to release (and eat) his contract in order to bring in another big.

I'm not ready to concede this as I feel it is much too early to give up on Jermaine. I also refuse to use Davis or Perk in the conversation of aquiring another big.

For those who propose we need to add another big right now (and I am not including you in this question) I ask, "How do you propose that we do that?"

We have Tiny Gallon and Magnum Rolle stashed up in Portland, but does anyone think they are ready yet? Sheed ain't happening this early in the season (if at all).

Having Shaq available changes EVERYTHING about the Celts work on both ends of the floor in the bigs department. I expect the addition of Delonte will provide the same ripple effect at the other extreme, 1, 2 and 3 positions.

Back to top Go down

Post by 112288 Sun Nov 14, 2010 11:58 am

Even if we eat JON contract for this year and next, the Celtic's carry insurance to cove losses such as this. But then again JON would have to retire. So let say he did. So monetary wise we would not be hurt. It boils down to are we allowed to use his spot to sign another MLE?

Back to top Go down

Post by mrkleen09 Sun Nov 14, 2010 5:07 pm

112288 wrote:Even if we eat JON contract for this year and next, the Celtic's carry insurance to cove losses such as this. But then again JON would have to retire. So let say he did. So monetary wise we would not be hurt. It boils down to are we allowed to use his spot to sign another MLE?

Man, talk about JUMPING THE GUN. Rolling Eyes
mrkleen09
mrkleen09

Back to top Go down

Post by tjmakz Sun Nov 14, 2010 6:48 pm

If JON went down Boston could only sign another player at the league or veterans minimum if they waived a current player. JON could be waived to open up a roster spot but I doubt Boston would waive him unless he had a career ending injury.
Many teams don't have insurance on older players. I doubt they would be able to insure JON because of his past knee problems but I could be wrong.
tjmakz
tjmakz

Back to top Go down

Post by 112288 Sun Nov 14, 2010 8:01 pm

Thanks,

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam Sun Nov 14, 2010 9:00 pm

gyso, a few days ago, TJ brought up the names of Eric Dampier and Earl Barron. Apparently, Dampier was going to sign with the Rockets and, for some reason, did not. He's an older guy, and we may not need another one of those. But Barron (our of the DL) made a big splash in his 10-day trial with the Knicks last season, with something like 16 points and 18 rebounds against the Celtics. Right now, he's a free agent. Although some teams are reported to have an interest in them, none has signed him as far as I know.

If the Celtics could get him for peanuts (perhaps first on a 10-day trial basis), would it be the worst thing to have a young big to develop and as an emergency backup (perhaps even back in the DL)? I believe Wafer is definitely expendable at this point.

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

https://samcelt.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Post by LACELTFAN Sun Nov 14, 2010 10:50 pm

Sam,
Would you then put V"on Wafers?"
LACELTFAN
LACELTFAN

Back to top Go down

Post by NYCelt Mon Nov 15, 2010 12:14 am

Some conjecture on my part but;

I've seen enough of J O'Neal with Indy and us, plus last years quick stops, to think he's about done.

Erden's raw, not ready for significant minutes and the shoulder will need surgery.

Shaq has already missed a fair amount of time but is at least a gamer so we may get some meaningful time from him. Even still he's one heavyweight that looks unsure to go the distance.

Perk will be the unknown upon his return but is unlikely to be 100% this year.

I'm not sure who is available that fits but I would at least consider parting ways with Wafer, possibly Erden or even call it quits on J O'Neal if the rules allow us to re-allocate any dollars by doing so. I would also consider that we might have to pay Davis to keep him around and start looking to see if anyone is at all interested in Harangody. There is too much overlap in the games of Davis, Harangody and Gallon not to see if there's some interest in one of them that could lead to a healthy body at center. Harangody may be the best of the three to try and deal or package since he's shown some glimmer, Davis is playing lights out and Gallon is still a spare part of unknown quality.

We don't need the next Russ, just someone who can reliably fill the center position without contributing to the trainers OT bonus and grab rebounds.

There is no doubt guard play will be the story this year but you still need a front line.

The future is now with this team...

KG is the main key, and he is 1.) healthier than last year, 2.) not what he once was and won't be again, yet 3.) is still among the better power forwards for now (and maybe not much longer), and still good enough to help us get there IF we can find someone at center who can provide a little defense and rebounding AND stay on the floor.

I would take a look at Gallon since he's already here and see if he and Davis can be an unconventional short/wide/surprisingly athletic solution. If not I would then consider shopping, and even a little chopping if there is any way it gives us any salary relief to work with.

Sometimes you have to have a pair and make bold moves early on. We can try and act to fix what may or may not be a problem now. It could arguably be jumping the gun. If we don't, however, we could also end up with one long line of damaged centers and maybe no recourse later.

On what looks like an at least even bet that both O'Neals and Erden are not the answer, I say look to see if we can act now. Personal preference on my part and part of the basis for my opinion would be to see who we can find now, and integrate them into our system over the course of the season. I like that better than hoping something falls our way at the deadline with little season left to adapt to this team.

Kind of funny how having the courage to take bold and early action sometimes leads to championships. I think Danny's up to the challenge; we'll obviously see if his thinking matches any of our "expert" opinions as the season unfolds.
NYCelt
NYCelt

Back to top Go down

Post by jeb Mon Nov 15, 2010 12:47 am

nyc

I say this with respect. You seem oddly gloomy for a fellow who is usually so upbeat. This team may be the best since 86. For the money danny had he hit a stand up triple.

Cheers

Jeb
jeb
jeb

Back to top Go down

Post by gyso Mon Nov 15, 2010 6:51 am

Sam,

Ten-day contracts are available to be used starting January 5 (or the first business day thereafter) each season.

That won't help at this time.

We already "have a young big to develop and as an emergency backup". His name is Semih Erden.

I'm with Jeb. It is way too soon to give up on The Plan. We are only 10 games into the season for crying out loud!!

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Mon Nov 15, 2010 9:54 am

nycelt

Deano I hope were wrong,but I get the feeling JON is petty much done too,we'll be lucky to get 40 games from him.....we saw how rusty hes been since preseason.I really don't know how hes gonna get healthy now,I've had swollen knees-they're a bitch.Praying Perk can comeback and be Perk.

cow

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by 112288 Mon Nov 15, 2010 10:09 am

I do not think it is giving up on the plan but more of protecting our plan by insuring that we have big man help in case Perkins does not perform as well, JON is in and out to where he is in effective or out completely and Shaq gets hurt. Erden has major shoulder problems and Ainge said that he probably be operated on when Perkins gets back. He is in no way a good back stop if one of our big's goes out due not only to his injury but also to the fact that he is still learning his position and the league.

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Mon Nov 15, 2010 10:13 am

112288 if Dampier is still there,we've got to sign him.

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by 112288 Mon Nov 15, 2010 10:23 am

Cowens,

I would wave Wafer now and bring a big in. If you wait until January and the 10 day try out, it would be too late. It would put someone 2 months behind learning the Celtic system. Why we lost last year was due to no rebounding because Perk went down. We can not afford to be in that situation again. Our future is now!

Back to top Go down

Post by beat Mon Nov 15, 2010 10:42 am

I was concerned about JO last year when there was talk about him. I assumed that he had gotten "better" or we would not have signed him. Still none of us is privey to all the info the management had.

That said we still have time on our side. Don't think we need to rush into anything for a month or so. HOWEVER if it pans out that JO is only going to be what he has been in the past 10 games then we shoudl begin moving towards finding a big a bit sooner. 7 out of 10 games (missing the last 2) so far and only 17 MPG. and now he has to sit how many more?

Insurance for June and July now, might not be a bad idea.

beat

beat
beat

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Mon Nov 15, 2010 11:02 am

To the best of my knowledge, Erick Dampier is available. Having said that, let me say I am not a big Eric Dampier fan. He's 35, unhurt and available. What does that say?

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by 112288 Mon Nov 15, 2010 11:11 am

Well outside of trading for a center which we have little to give and salary room, he would come cheap with no strings attached. His desire at this stage to life would be win a championship. Sounds like a good motivation achievement to achieve for me.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum