dboss
Sam
gyso
steve3344
NYCelt
16 posters

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

SHOULD WE BE LOOKING FOR ANOTHER BIG? - Page 2 Empty Re: SHOULD WE BE LOOKING FOR ANOTHER BIG?

Post by beat Mon Nov 15, 2010 11:23 am

Dampier has never been great but only 2 seasons ago did play 80 games at 23 MPG with 5+ ppg and 7+ RPG for Dallas

Last year played played 55 games with about the same MPG PPG and RPG. Which are not far off his entire (average) career numbers. Seems like a serviceable BU Center which is what we need. But as Bob pointed him out being available at this point might mean something.

beat

beat
beat

Back to top Go down

SHOULD WE BE LOOKING FOR ANOTHER BIG? - Page 2 Empty Re: SHOULD WE BE LOOKING FOR ANOTHER BIG?

Post by 112288 Mon Nov 15, 2010 11:30 am

There ia always Mikki Moore

Back to top Go down

Post by beat Mon Nov 15, 2010 11:34 am

112288 wrote:There ia always Mikki Moore

And there IS a reason for that !
Mary Tyler Moore is too by the way!

beat
beat
beat

Back to top Go down

Post by NYCelt Mon Nov 15, 2010 12:08 pm

cowens/oldschool wrote:nycelt

Deano I hope were wrong,but I get the feeling JON is petty much done too,we'll be lucky to get 40 games from him.....we saw how rusty hes been since preseason.I really don't know how hes gonna get healthy now,I've had swollen knees-they're a bitch.Praying Perk can comeback and be Perk.

cow

cow,

I had forgotten you and I share that knee problem thing, although mine is just the right one. You're right; it's a bitch, and whatever the specific condition and no matter how good you are about your rehab it only gets worse with time. I'll never forget the surgeon explaining how knee joints are never really fixed, just patched, right before the second surgery.

On the plus side I can tell when the the barometer is dropping fast in the winter and it's likely to snow!

Regards
NYCelt
NYCelt

Back to top Go down

Post by NYCelt Mon Nov 15, 2010 1:16 pm

jeb wrote:nyc

I say this with respect. You seem oddly gloomy for a fellow who is usually so upbeat. This team may be the best since 86. For the money danny had he hit a stand up triple.

Cheers

Jeb

Jeb,

Not gloomy at all; but I do appreciate your friendly concern and hope you're doing well!

I'm just looking at things differently than some on this one, and I actually feel very positive about the team overall.

Something you said stands out, I think, in explaining my view. You mention Danny hit a triple for the money. To a point I agree he did well, but I also think he was shopping for spare parts and should continue to do so.

I hope this isn't one of those times I cloud the issue by trying to explain it further; but here goes...

This team has a core group that appears to be made up of Pierce, KG, Allen, Rondo, Perkins and Davis. For the past several seasons Danny has supplemented that group with the likes of Brown, Cassell, O'Bryant, Marbury, Wallace, House and others. Most of those were gambles, some worked and others didn't. Either way Danny was willing to stand in there and take a swing and was always smart about the business end, the money and contracts. He was always willing to adjust and change around the core.

While I have no way of knowing what the GM is thinking, I simply have the view that now is the time to make some adjustments around the core; specifically at center. I do think less than a dozen games into the season is OK because I view our center situation as declining. In my opinion the gamble cobbled together at center is already looking like it won't work; but it was worth a try. I would rather deal with the issue now because I think the problem isn't likely to go away. I also think that it's a strong enough team overall that we're a bona-fide championship contender with a little more than average center rotation if they're healthy. I don't see either O'Neal, Erden or Perk as filling the healthy part of the equation. Excepting Perk, I think we're also looking at mostly bargain basement deals designed to be shed quickly if needed. J O'Neal's MLE contract being slightly problematic, that is potentially a tough hit and something to work around.

The added piece to the puzzle is that there is an urgency to the situation because KG is at the level we need him to be now, this season, and that may not last. That's just a fact of father time and injury. He's good enough to carry us all the way for now and I think we need to act to get him help up front while we have that advantage.

I could make this even more of a boring explanation by making business comparisons and analogies but Sam and beat know where I live and they would come get me and lock me away.

The bottom line is I'm not going into detail on contracts, money or who might be available because I don't even have those details. I'm just saying in my humble opinion that O'Neal x2 and Erden aren't going to cut it. We might get some use from Shaq, but I'd part ways with Jermaine, Erden, Wafer and Harangody (explained why in my earlier post) in a heartbeat if in some way it could help bring us a half-way decent, healthy center. I think they're all really spare parts around the core anyway.

I think it could make the championship difference and I'd do it now.

Regards,

Your cheerful but pragmatic (honest jeb, I'm happy!) NYCelt
NYCelt
NYCelt

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam Mon Nov 15, 2010 1:55 pm

gyso,

I like Semih. But he is injured. The Celtics are hoping to nurse him through the season before his surgery. That doesn't sound to me like any more reassurance than that proved by the physical statuses of Perk, Shaq and Jermaine. Moreover, as far as development goes, if the focus is on nursing him through the season, it won't be on development. I hope he'll be as useful as possible for as long as possible in the season, but I'd like to have more insurance than a wounded Turk (no aspersions on the Turkish people, whom I like) during the playoffs.

You mention a plan, but isn't it a fact that the plan included Jermaine O'Neil and a healthy Semih. It's looking more and more like that aspect of the pal is specifically NOT working, at least at this time. The more time that goes by, the chances of picking up a serviceable backup deteriorate.

Moreover, there's another consideration that I haven't seen mentioned. Practice. Basically, the Celtics need two PF and two C for practice scrimmages. Let's assume (or maybe I should say, "pray") that KG and Glen Davis will reliably fulfill the PF needs. Which centers reliably fill the practice needs now. My bet is that Shaq doesn't practice—at least not hard—while he's on tenderhooks about his knee. I don't know how much contact work they allow Semih to have. For the moment, Perk and Jermaine are unavailable. They could move Davis up to center and throw Harangody in at PF for practice purposes, but (1) that wouldn't reflect a real practice because it wouldn't reflect the real rotation and (2) they'd STILL be a center short for practice purposes. Are they going to have to call Buddy Leroux back to service and have him on stilts playing center in practice? (lol)

To say they're vulnerable at the center position is to understate the case severely. And the more vulnerable they are at one position, the more vulnerable the entire chemistry becomes because they have to start playing the adjustment game.

Wafer is doing them no good, and it's hard to see where he'll ever fit in, especially since he's not liked by the veterans on the team. If they need someone to come in and record a lot of ciphers on the box score for two minutes, I'd be glad to chip in for a dollar a year. I can see the box score now:

Sam:

MP 2
FGA 0
FG 0
REB 0
Assists 0
Steals 0
Blocks 0
Turnovers 8
Heart attacks 1

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

https://samcelt.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Post by 112288 Mon Nov 15, 2010 2:02 pm

Sam,

You are the ultimate scribe!

Back to top Go down

Post by tjmakz Mon Nov 15, 2010 2:04 pm

What's LA's needs are doesn't mean anything to the Celtics, but I suspect one big man might be coming off of the market in the near future as LA seems to be in need of another Center.
Bynum should be back in a few weeks but probably won't be productive for a month or so.
Ratliff has some knee issues and has hardly played this year and has been mostly ineffective when playing.
Odom is going for an MRI on one of his feet but you would never know he has a problem by the way he is playing.
I would love for LA to sign Dampier but I wouldn't count on that happening.
tjmakz
tjmakz

Back to top Go down

Post by beat Mon Nov 15, 2010 2:05 pm

Sam

No way you'd get 8 turnovers!!!

I don't think they would pass you the ball after the 5th TO let alone 6th or 7th. And if you don't get any boards or steals there is just no way you'd touch the rock.

beat
beat
beat

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam Mon Nov 15, 2010 2:16 pm

Pass me the ball? Hell, they wouldn't even see me!
Sam
Sam
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Outside Mon Nov 15, 2010 2:21 pm

Sam wrote:Pass me the ball? Hell, they wouldn't even see me!
Then you'd get run over by someone who wasn't looking and make two free throws. Think of all the charges you could take? Okay, probably only one, but still.
Outside
Outside

Back to top Go down

Post by sinus007 Mon Nov 15, 2010 2:42 pm

Hey, hey,
Stop this nonsense with Sam playing 5. First of all he's not even 6-6. Secondly, who's going to manage this forum if he's run over on the court.

Speaking about SE. After collision with Lebron he didn't show much pain though Lebron hit him on the left side of his body and grimaced as if he sustained a season ending injury.
Also, speaking about Celtics. He's not in big category but still. Any word on AB? When he's going to start playing?

AK
sinus007
sinus007

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam Mon Nov 15, 2010 3:12 pm

Great question, Sinus. It's almost as though Bradley never existed. Nothing's said or written about him. Not even a hopeful word about his progress. No mention of him practicing. If they're trying to depressurize him by keeping him under the radar, they're doing a good job.

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by beat Mon Nov 15, 2010 3:28 pm

This is the best I could find about Bradley.

http://www.cbssports.com/nba/players/playerpage/1755219/avery-bradley

Questionable................day to day............
arn't we all.................

beat

beat
beat

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Mon Nov 15, 2010 3:44 pm

This from Celticstown:

Jermaine O’Neal is now expected to miss at least 2-3 weeks with his latest knee malady, which may or may not be a bout with arthritis. I have a feeling Jermaine’s bothersome knees will be recurring news all season.

Doc Rivers claimed the Celtics would not sign a new big man unless Jermaine O’Neal’s situation gets worse.

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Mon Nov 15, 2010 3:52 pm

This too from Celticstown:

Avery Bradley returned to practice. He has been bothered since June (yes, June, prior to the NBA Draft) by what was deemed a sprained ankle, nominated as “Worst Sprained Ankle Ever” by yours truly. Nobody knows what to expect from Bradley, but his dunks can make Rajon Rondo and Nate Robinson “squeal in delight.” Bradley reportedly looked good while playing two-on-two after practice. Von Wafer also played in the game, so I suppose it’s good that Delonte West was shooting around at the other end of the court.

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam Mon Nov 15, 2010 4:04 pm

Bob,

Grateful for the news and the laughs. Apparently, jet lag didn't cloud your wit.

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by NYCelt Mon Nov 15, 2010 4:16 pm

bobheckler wrote:This from Celticstown:

Jermaine O’Neal is now expected to miss at least 2-3 weeks with his latest knee malady, which may or may not be a bout with arthritis. I have a feeling Jermaine’s bothersome knees will be recurring news all season.

Doc Rivers claimed the Celtics would not sign a new big man unless Jermaine O’Neal’s situation gets worse.

bob

Bob,

Glad you're back. It was fun catching some of the highlights of your trip when you were able to get online.

Regarding Doc's statement above; although I know he meant worse than 2-3 weeks I say, OK Doc...it's worse.

Regards
NYCelt
NYCelt

Back to top Go down

Post by beat Mon Nov 15, 2010 4:23 pm

Bob NYCelt

Hard to judge how well JO will be in 2-3 weeks either.
If he was a horse they'ed shoot um.

So dump Wafer and begin the search for a big. And we can continue to nurse JO along.

SO easy a cave man could do it. (at least the dump Wafer half) finding an appropriate big might be a bit tougher.

beat

beat
beat

Back to top Go down

Post by NYCelt Mon Nov 15, 2010 4:30 pm

beat,

Good to hear we're not euthanizing JO at least.

I'll agree with the rest too.

Regards
NYCelt
NYCelt

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Mon Nov 15, 2010 9:47 pm

beat wrote:Bob NYCelt

Hard to judge how well JO will be in 2-3 weeks either.
If he was a horse they'ed shoot um.

So dump Wafer and begin the search for a big. And we can continue to nurse JO along.

SO easy a cave man could do it. (at least the dump Wafer half) finding an appropriate big might be a bit tougher.

beat

LMAO that horse comment was too funny bounce

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Tue Nov 16, 2010 1:43 pm

One prospect that has been talked about on a Celtic blog is Magnum Rolle, currently playing for the Celtics farm team, the Maine Red Claws.

http://www.celticstown.com/2010/11/15/keep-red-claws-magnum-rolle-in-mind-an-obvious-call-up-candidate/

http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/Magnum-Rolle-501/

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Tue Nov 16, 2010 6:31 pm

Kendrick Perkins can now look ahead -- optimistically and realistically -- to the day he will again play basketball for the Celtics. He said that day is not that far away; he's pointing to a mid- to late-January return date.

Monday was the four-month anniversary of the procedure, which was performed by Celtics team physician Dr. Brian McKeon. Perkins walks without a brace, can do shooting drills and, to the untrained eye, looks like he could step in at starting center Wednesday night against the Wizards.

"He is looking great,'' McKeon said. "He's keeping his weight down. He's sticking to the proper diet. But it was a major surgery, and I always tell athletes that it could be 18 months before it's the best that it can be."

http://sports.espn.go.com/boston/nba/columns/story?columnist=may_peter&id=5810352

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam Tue Nov 16, 2010 7:40 pm

Bob,

Thanks for posting that article. Perk certainly deserves to come back strong after being so diligent in his rehab. And his hopes for free throw progress sound great, even if he only makes it to something like 72%.

None of this dissuades me from thinking that the Celtics should have another big on board. Some of my reasoning has been expressed before, and some hasn't.

1. There's no guarantee that Perk will be back when he hopes, and even less guarantee that he'll be fully recovered until at least a year later.

2. In the meantime, things at center are precarious because the most reliable center (from a health standpoint) is the PF on the bench—and an increasing essential element of the bench's effectiveness.

3. As I've stated before, having enough healthy big men to practice is getting to be a real crapshoot, and practice is not as useful if people have to play out of position just to facilitate it.

4. Semih may satisfy my desire that the Celtics always have the next front line big man developing in the wings. But (1) there's no guarantee about his long-term health either and (2) he's been at the game, at a reasonably high level, for quite a while, which may mean he's already at or near his ceiling.

5. If the center position seems to be a revolving door-door-door now, think what another year could bring. I'd surely like to have another big developing as a hedge against catastrophe. If he showed a good upside, the worst that could happen would be that he might be good trade bait.

6. My preference for this "developing big" would be a younger guy whose age and physical condition are not question marks.

7. I don't claim this young guy would have to be with the parent team. The DL could do nicely, with him being available in emergencies up to three times during the season. I'm not all that bullish on the bigs the Celtics now have up in Portland.

By the way, until today, I wasn't sure where Lasme wound up. He's with the Celtics' Portland Red Claws, which reinforces my desire that the Celts dump Wafer. (Maybe he's potential trade bait, but probably only if they've lost a bolt for the parquet floor and need to barter for a new one.)

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Wed Nov 17, 2010 8:32 am

bobheckler wrote:One prospect that has been talked about on a Celtic blog is Magnum Rolle, currently playing for the Celtics farm team, the Maine Red Claws.

http://www.celticstown.com/2010/11/15/keep-red-claws-magnum-rolle-in-mind-an-obvious-call-up-candidate/

http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/Magnum-Rolle-501/

bob

I saw Magnum Rolle play a couple times in SL,in one game he was unstoppable,fluid,fast and athletic.I remember thinking who is this guy?can't believe Pacers let him go.

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum